Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

MeshKit - 3D Editing, Optimisation and Asset Management Plugin

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by melgeorgiou, Apr 30, 2015.

1. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi all,

I'd like to introduce MeshKit.

MeshKit is an integrated system for editing and optimising meshes, with a deep asset management back-end which cleans your unused assets and helps protect your meshes from accidental deletion - a common scenario for combining meshes or using prefabs with shared meshes. MeshKit also offers some handy tools to flip meshes, make them double-sided, or to dynamically rebuild them with or without tangents and normals on the fly - all without affecting the original meshes.

MeshKit also excels at combining 3D assets that were not even designed for games, offering a dedicated approach for dealing with Submeshes using powerful separation tools.

MeshKit offers all of its functionality in 3 ways - Editor Tools, Runtime Components and a fully accessible API.

Below are some videos that demonstrate how everything works and offers a glimpse of what is possible with the tool.

Thanks for your interest! :)

- Mel

MeshKit_Icon.png

[ Cost and Release Date TBA Soon! ]

Editing Meshes

Mesh Optimization

Mesh Decimation (MeshKit v2.0)

Combine & Atlas SkinnedMeshRenderers (MeshKit v3.0)

Untiling, Combining & Atlasing (MeshKit v3.1)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  2. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  3. eco_bach

eco_bach

Looks quite powerful. Is it possible to separate meshes from a fbx import? btw noticed a type on the asset page '
    Seperation

4. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi eco_bach,

Thanks for spotting the typo! :)

If you're trying to separate submeshes in the Editor (or at runtime) it shouldn't matter what the source model is. As long as it has a MeshFilter component in Unity, FBX should be fine!

Hope that helps! :)

- Mel

5. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  6. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi everyone,

I'd like to make a quick announcement that MeshKit has been updated to v1.2!

The update brings support for Unity 2017.4 and an improved algorithm for calculating normals using threshold angles!

The new version is already live on my site and should be live on the Asset Store soon, I'll post again when it's live! :)

Please remember to BACKUP your projects before updating! :)

LINKS:

ASSET STORE: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/39794?aid=1011lGiE
    MY SITE: http://unitygamesdevelopment.co.uk/downloads/meshkit-plugin-for-unity/

Hope you guys enjoy the update! :)

- Mel

7. Weblox

Weblox

Hi @melgeorgiou ,

I am looking into Game and Level Optimization lately, and I am looking for a nice and easy tool to get me started. Still a Unity Beginner your tools have proven to be very helpful and the nice and clean interface with recognizable Buttons for all the different Actions are always a great visual help inside the Unity editor. Having a look at the competitor products, that often seem outdated and unsupported, this is great bonus. To get my game levels properly optimized I suppose I would still need a proper Texture Atlasing Tool to go well with the Mesh Optimizing solution. Do you have any plans to add Texture Atlasing into this asset?

8. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi @Weblox,

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated! :)

At the moment, Mesh Kit is designed to be a powerful and easy to use suite of tools to handle your meshes but you're correct that it does not yet handle the Texture Atlas side of things. This has been suggested to me a few times now so I can now confirm that it is on the road map. However, there are several projects I'm working on right now which take priority so it isn't likely to be available in the short-term.

In any case, it is safe to say that MeshKit will likely evolve in that direction! :)

Hope this helps!

- Mel

Weblox likes this.
  9. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi everyone,

Just to announce that MeshKit 1.3 is now available on my site and will soon be making its way to the Asset Store! :)

It offers some new bug fixes and an improved algorithm dealing with duplicated scenes ( it now automatically corrects Mesh Collider components too! ). There's also some minor UI updates.

Please remember to backup your projects before updating!

LINKS:

MY SITE: http://www.mel-georgiou.co.uk/downloads/meshkit-plugin-for-unity/

- Mel

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Weblox likes this.
  10. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi everyone,

Announcing... MESH KIT V2!

It's been a while but I finally have some exciting news about MeshKit v2! :)

MeshKit v2 introduces cool new mesh decimation and automatic LOD features! I've made a new video to explain how it all works that you can checkout below:

I'm still wrapping things up but hoping to finish it by the end of next week. I'll also update you all with the improvements to the existing toolset!

And the best news for last... MeshKit V2 will be a 100% FREE upgrade! :)

... More news soon!

- Mel

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Weblox and mfleurent like this.
  11. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

Hi,

Does this asset combine meshes with same material/texture without creating new atlas texture ?
    Dees this asset combine only materials into single atlas without combining meshes ( single game objects with same material/texture atlas ) ?

12. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi MoribitoMT,

Firstly, thanks for your interest in MeshKit! :)

MeshKit doesn't create texture atlases at the moment. However, this is on the roadmap!

- Mel

MoribitoMT likes this.
  13. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

Great to know.. :)

My feature suggestions would be
    1. Creating texture atlas with combined mesh
    2. Creating texture atlas without combines mesh ( still seperate objects )
    3. Pre Texture atlas preview and editing UV ( like Prefab Maker )

14. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi MoribitoMT,

Thanks for your suggestions!

... Added to the wishlist :)

- Mel

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    Weblox and MoribitoMT like this.
  15. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi everyone,

Here's some more about the upcoming MeshKit v2 update!

Selection Options

As well as the new Decimator and Auto-LOD tools, many of the existing tools have been updated to allow you to choose Skinned Mesh Renderers as well as Mesh Filters.

MeshKit_TwoSided.png

Rebuild Tool

The Rebuild tool has been updated to make the options clearer and allow you to strip away more elements including colors and all UV sets. In Unity 2018.2 and up, you'll also be able to remove UV set 5 - 8. You can of course rebuild normals, tangents and lightmap UVs as well.

MeshKit_RebuildTool.png

Please note that some tools only work on objects without sub-meshes. The Separate tool can fix this with MeshFilters but mesh separation is not currently compatible with Skinned Mesh Renderers. However, the Decimation and Auto-LOD tools should work fine on all mesh types! :)

Unity Preferences

The MeshKit preferences have been updated to allow you to switch between using small or large MeshKit icons in the main window.

MeshKit_Preferences.png

MeshKit API

There have been some significant API updates to account for the new features ( as well as the ability to use Skinned Mesh Renderers in most tools ). The first thing that must be changed is to make sure you have "using HellTap.MeshKit;" at the top of any scripts using the API. Please check the documentation to check the methods you are using.

Much effort has been made to make the new decimation and Auto-LOD tool easy to use and available at runtime ( there are also runtime components too! ). For example, this is how easy it is to setup Auto-LOD at runtime with default settings:

Example Of Auto-LOD
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using HellTap.MeshKit;
    3. void Start(){
    5.    // Create a default LOD setup for this gameObject at runtime
    6.    MeshKit.AutoLOD( gameObject );
    7. }
    You can of course setup completely custom settings and this is covered in the documentation.

I'm hoping to have MeshKit V2 submitted to the Asset Store (and live on my site) by tomorrow.

I hope everyone is looking forward to the new features! :)

- Mel

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Weblox likes this.
  16. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

Hi, I have one more very interesting suggestion for this tool.

- Combine mode options ( Like "MeshBaker" asset, a mesh grouper )
    • Chunk/Cluster mode to create virtual grid, and combine meshes separate in every cell, so result will be smaller mesh size and much better occlusion culling results.. instead of combining every mesh.
    • If you can check ( MeshBaker's MeshGrouper ) it has amazing chunking modes, I do not like mesh baker interface, this is why I have eye on your asset .. :DD

17. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi MoribitoMT,

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll add it to the wish list :)

- Mel

MoribitoMT likes this.
  18. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi everyone,

Just to announce that MeshKit 2.0 is now available on my site and will soon be making its way to the Asset Store! :)

If you're happy with MeshKit and appreciate such big updates being free, please consider leaving a 5 star rating on the Asset Store - it really helps!

Thanks for your support! :)

IMPORTANT: Please remember to backup your projects before updating!

MY SITE: http://www.unitygamesdevelopment.co.uk/downloads/meshkit-plugin-for-unity/

- Mel

MoribitoMT likes this.
  19. ali-but

ali-but

is there anyway i can select and seperate an element based on word xyz cordinates using this kit ?
    for examples i have one mesh with two boxes as seperate elements (Pic is attached for refernce)

20. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi ali-but,

Firstly, thanks for your interest in MeshKit! :)

I think you may have misunderstood how the separation works in MeshKit. It is designed to separate submeshes within the same mesh, not general geometry. So unless those two boxes are using submeshes this isn't supported. At least, not yet! :)

Hope this helps!

- Mel

21. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi everyone!

A few people have let me know they're having a GUI-related bug with MeshKit that stops them seeing some of the icons. I believe this is now fixed ( I couldn't ever see the bug either on my mac and PC test machines but 1 user has confirmed it works lol ). I've uploaded the update to Unity today so it should be rolling out very soon! BTW: It will be live on my site tomorrow morning.

If anyone needs the patch immediately just send me a quick PM / email and I'll be happy to help! :)

- Mel

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  22. attaway

attaway

23. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi attaway,

Assuming that asset works within Unity's own LOD system, you would first setup MeshKit's AutoLOD with custom settings. Let's say you wanted to apply that to LOD3, simply make LOD3 full quality and have MeshKit setup the LOD as normal. Then, select LOD3 in the hierarchy and setup imposters on that directly using the second asset.

I haven't tested this but it *should* work :)

attaway likes this.
  24. attaway

attaway

ahh ok cool thanks.

Does AutoLOD work when adding it to a Nested Prefab parent?
    What's the best workflow for dealing with nested prefabs if so?
    Would it then be possible to edit LOD for each Nested Prefab individually?

25. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi attaway,

To be honest, I haven't done extensive testing with nested prefabs yet but MeshKit uses the Transform you select as the "root" of its operations. It gives you freedom in this regard to decide where you want the LOD to operation to start from.

I believe you can't have Unity LODGroups as children of other LODGroups, so I would probably avoid trying to do it that way.

attaway likes this.
  26. attaway

attaway

k thanks. I just now purchased MeshKit.

27. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Awesome, thanks! :)

attaway likes this.
  28. attaway

attaway

Is there any way I could copy Auto LOD settings to use on another object? Im adding LODs to a bunch of similar objects and would be nice to not have to match each one manually

29. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi attaway,

Indeed there is! Follow these steps:

1) On the original GameObject, you'll find a MeshKit AutoLOD component - Copy it (right click the title and select "Copy Component")
    2) Paste it onto the new object (if the component already exists on that object, use "Paste Component Values" ).
    3) In the MeshKit window (with the new object still selected), the copied settings will now be visible. Simply click the "Recreate LOD" button.

... That's it! Hope that helps! :)

30. attaway

attaway

ok cool thanks. After posting I realized thats what it probably was lol. Got it working last night. Thanks for the response too.

Mesh Kit has been great so far. Was up all night creating LODs and with Amplify Impostors as final Level. I dont mind the regeneration but it would be cool if it were possible to maintain it somehow, or include Game Object in Auto LOD selection settings. It doesn't take very long making updates to the LODs, but I have do have to delete the impostor, regenerate then rebake the impostor back into the LOD.
    So far they work great together though even with that workflow. Thanks again

31. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi attaway,

Thanks for the feedback, sounds a little tricky but I'll add the request to the wishlist!

Glad it's working well for you so far! :)

32. f1chris

f1chris

Just bought Meshkit. Man this asset is fantastic !

33. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi @f1chris,

Thanks for the positive feedback, much appreciated! :)

- Mel

34. rubenpvargas

rubenpvargas

Hey im getting this error on 2018.3 http://prntscr.com/n3cxez
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Disconnecting is no longer implemented
    2. UnityEditor.PrefabUtility:DisconnectPrefabInstance(Object)
    3. HellTap.MeshKit.MeshKitGUI:BreakPrefabInstance() (at Assets/Editor Default Resources/Editor/Hell Tap Entertainment/MeshKit/MeshKitGUI.cs:1475)
    4. HellTap.MeshKit.MeshKitGUI:OnGUI() (at Assets/Editor Default Resources/Editor/Hell Tap Entertainment/MeshKit/MeshKitGUI.cs:738)
    5. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    I assume its because of the new prefab system, but in the description of your asset it says it works even in unity 2019. Any fix? Im in a hurry of getting some optimization, tried other assets that also dont work very well, was hoping yours will do the job.

35. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi @rubenpvargas,

Thanks for reporting this. I’ll be working on a fix asap!

In the meantime, can you please pm / email me with a small example scene showing the issue and steps to reproduce? That will help me identify the exact issue you’re having.

Thanks! :)

36. rubenpvargas

rubenpvargas

Its just because of this: https://prnt.sc/n3gy93
    I commented it an seems to be working, but im not sure of the implications of your asset not being able to disconnect prefabs, probably going to screw mesh managment.

37. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi @rubenpvargas ,

I’ll need to run some tests to check if it has serious implications, I don’t think it does but obviously these Unity changes are huge so it’s a little unpredictable.

If you have to use it right now, please make sure you’ve backed up your project. Also, to be safe, avoid prefabs for now if possible. If you have to use them, “unpack” the prefabs first so they become normal GameObjects. You’ll need to do this before running any MeshKit operations (as that is what the code was doing originally ).

In any case, I’ll be working on an official fix ASAP! :)

- Mel

38. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi everyone,

Good news, MeshKit v2.0.3 is now finished and live on my site. The Asset Store version is currently awaiting approval.

This update offers compatibility with Unity 2018.3 and much better handling of Unity's new nested prefab system! :)

If you need the update before Unity approves it please PM / email me with your invoice number and I'll send you the package directly.

I'll also let everyone know when it is live on the Asset Store! :)

IMPORTANT:
    Please remember to backup your projects before updating!

MY SITE: http://www.unitygamesdevelopment.co.uk/downloads/meshkit-plugin-for-unity/

Weblox likes this.
  39. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

40. rubenpvargas

rubenpvargas

Thanks a lot for the quick fix! The asset is working pretty well, altough i find the decimator is lacking a little bit. You should take a look at Mesh Simplifier decimator.

41. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

@rubenpvargas ,

Glad it's working - thanks for the feedback!

42. rubenpvargas

rubenpvargas

Not sure if a bug or not, but meshkit isnt asking to copy the meshes to a permanent folder when i create a prefab.

Edit: Its asking after I click the play button or when I reload the scene, but not during prefab creation.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  43. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi @rubenpvargas,

Sorry, for some reason I didn't get notified about your last message until just now.

I just tried a quick test on my side using 2018.3 and it appears to be working. Can you make sure that "Realtime Prefab Checks" are enabled in the MeshKit Preferences? Otherwise, checks should only happen when a new level is loaded in the editor ( which I suspect is being triggered by playing / stopping the editor also ).

If it is still doing that with the "Realtime Prefab Checks" option checked, please send me a PM / email with steps to reproduce and we'll figure it out :)

- Mel

44. rubenpvargas

rubenpvargas

Thanks! Didnt know about the option, its working well. Just wanted to thank you, your tool has been pretty invaluable on our optimization process, we are using asset bundles, and having the meshes separated and combined from the fbx has decreased our asset bundles sizes! Thanks again, and hope you keep working on the tool.

45. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi @rubenpvargas,

You're welcome! Glad it's all working and happy to hear about the decreased asset bundle sizes! :)

- Mel

46. levelappstudios

levelappstudios

Hi, asset is great, it runs very smoothly.

Updating to Unity 2018.4 causes some warnings. Will you update soon or should I edit the warning lines?

Thanks in advance.

47. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi @levelappstudios,

Glad to hear you're enjoying MeshKit!

Good news, MeshKit v2.0.4 is already live at my site (for users who purchased there) and is waiting approval on the Asset Store. So hopefully won't take much longer for it to be live there too.

I'll let everyone know when Unity approve it! :)

- Mel

48. levelappstudios

levelappstudios

Thanks mate :)

49. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

50. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou