Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Meshes takes up 50% more memory after upgrading to Unity 2020.3.4f1

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by unity_G-d2j_B0S-wUmA, Jul 26, 2021.

1. unity_G-d2j_B0S-wUmA

unity_G-d2j_B0S-wUmA

Hello,

After upgrading from Unity 2020.2.2f1 to Unity 2020.3.4f1 we have found that all meshes in our project, including Unity default meshes, takes up more space in memory, approximately 50% more than in 2020.2.2f1.

Meshes_in_Unity_2020_3_4.PNG Meshes_in_Unity_2020_2_2.PNG
    On Memory Profiler snapshots we saw memory size increase from larger instances of meshes in unmanaged memory. And unfortunately, we cannot investigate further as we think this issue lies in the C++ part of the Unity Engine.
    Is there any reason for this to happen?
    How can we avoid this?

Can we do something to reduce the size of meshes in memory (except for general optimisation techniques that we already did, like decrease the number of vertices and remeshing)?

The problem is reproducible with any empty project opened in Unity 2020.3.4f1, although I am adding examples in which I tested this issue.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. april_4_short

april_4_short

3. unity_G-d2j_B0S-wUmA

unity_G-d2j_B0S-wUmA

Unfortunately, this flag has no effect in our case as we use full mesh data.

As I know, this flag sets the underlying option PlayerSettings.stripUnusedMeshComponents.
    If all components of mesh (e.g. tangent vectors, vertex colors etc.) are needed in runtime, it won't be stripped.

I tested with/without this flag on both Unity versions and get no effect.