Search Unity

Assets Meshedit (wip) - Dissolve Unity Meshes And Perform Per-vertex Edits In The Editor!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by thesupersoup, Apr 14, 2019.

1. thesupersoup

thesupersoup

I wanted a tool that felt like the Displacement tool in the Source engine. So I made one.

(GitHub link for DL):
    https://github.com/thesupersoup/MeshEdit

Getting Started:
    After placing the MeshEdit folder into %YourProjectName%/Assets, you can open MeshEdit by navigating to Window->MeshEdit or by pressing Ctrl+Shift+E.

Editing is perfectly safe, as all work is done to a copy of the original object and can be undone. MeshEdit settings are saved to your EditorPrefs for persistence.

If Edit on open is active, whenever and however the window is opened, any selected GameObjects will be immediately dissolved for editing. Likewise, if Save on window close is active, whenever and however the window is closed, changes will be saved back to the meshes being edited.

Known issues:

(As of v0.1)
    • "Instantiating material/mesh due to calling renderer.material/MeshFilter.mesh during edit mode. This will leak materials/meshes. Please use renderer.material/MeshFilter.sharedMesh instead."
      • No known solutions yet, but the errors are the result of the specific way I've chosen to go about modifying the meshes.
    Planned features:
    (As of v0.1)
    • Sphere brush for selecting/modifying vertices.
      • Choose to paint on X, Y, or Z axis. Brush will be resizable. Value per click/tick will be adjustable. Will have toggle for uniform movement or falloff based on distance to brush center.
    • Generate mesh
      • Generate a plane mesh for anything between 3 vertices to any power-of-two. Rapid production of natural features like cliff walls, fields, etc.

If it sounds like something you might like, give it a try and let me know what you think.
    Hope it helps your workflow!

Attached Files: