Search Unity

Question Mesh with same UV divides it's materials and forces mesh to use two of the same material.

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Natjo_, Nov 16, 2022.

1. Natjo_

Natjo_

This is really hard to explain, but easy to show.

Import settings: Very typical for any imported model
    upload_2022-11-17_9-52-3.png
    upload_2022-11-17_9-51-19.png

But when actually in game:
    upload_2022-11-17_9-52-37.png

What's worse is I can't actually just remove the material since each material is bound to different polys
    upload_2022-11-17_9-55-28.png

And I don't believe it's a Blender issue, mainly because when I reimport it to blender and check the model, the affected polys aren't backfaces or anything really which could cause this.

Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. upload_2022-11-17_9-59-28.png

2. kdgalla

kdgalla

I'm not sure that I understand 100% but it looks like the chair is split-up into more submeshes then you need. So, for example, some of the orange triangles are in one sub mesh and some orange triangles are in a different submesh, but you're just assigning the same material to both submeshes?

When you open it in Blender, look at the materials tab and see if you have more materials than expected. Multiple materials assigned to the same object in Blender imports into Unity as multiple submeshes.

3. Natjo_

Natjo_

You're correct about the submeshes, it'd seems unity is turning single meshes into multiple. As for your suggested fix, it doesn't seem to work. Split the room model up into separate parts so it only has one material attached to each part of it and it's still deciding to divide up into submeshes upload_2022-11-17_11-34-11.png

I guess the goal is then to try figure out why unity is making submeshes...

4. Natjo_

Natjo_

Just managed to figure it all out. Apparently, it's the "Keep quads" setting which is generating more submeshes. Thanks for the help ^v^