Search Unity

Mesh together a texture PNG

Discussion in '2D' started by rubiccube554, Oct 7, 2021.

1. rubiccube554

rubiccube554

Hello,

Anyone knows how to "mesh" together an anime character, with a texture png? See image:

I really have no idea, my friend completely dumped the project on me, and I need to find a way to reattach this model / character.

I do have the files which "meshes" the parts together, and has more data about eg. movement.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  2. MarekUnity

MarekUnity

Unity Technologies

You could start from reading this article about creating character artwork https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.2d.animation@7.0/manual/PreparingArtwork.html

Generally, to prepare a character for animation it would be easier to create a .psb file in Photoshop (or other tools) and place each character part on a separate layer. Then you can align all character parts in your DCC tool.
    Maybe you can ask the person who gave you this PNG file if they have source .psb file with an assembled character? If they created that art then they should have it.

Alternatively, you can still use you PNG file and follow the workflow described in this article: https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.2d.animation@7.0/manual/ex-multiple-skinned-sprites.html
    2D Animation samples contain the scene 3 Multiple Skinned Sprites that contains an assembled character from a .png file.

rubiccube554 likes this.
  3. SunnyValleyStudio

SunnyValleyStudio

Hey!

I am not an artist myself but from what it looks like you have a character split into multiple elements. It doesn't look like it is meant to be fully animated.

I would say that what you would want is to create some base "body" as a single sprite. You could do it in Unity but it would take much more time compared to a photoshop or any other graphics program. This is assuming that you are making a "graphic novel" type of game. All you would be left with is adding ex eyes that are animated or a hand /leg that moves a bit. You could do it by using Sprite Renderers and unity animation system.

You could try to create a bone rig https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/rigging-a-sprite-with-the-2d-animation-package
    or
    but I don't think that you have enough sprites to do it.

I hope it helps!

rubiccube554 likes this.
  4. rubiccube554

rubiccube554

Thanks so much for answers! I'll come back with an answer from the one who made this, and see if they have any more files associated with this texture. Hang tight! :)

5. rubiccube554

rubiccube554

There was 2-3 more files (check rar).

If you don't want to download, they are these:

Does this ring a bell for anyone? He didn't tell me anything about .psb or .prefab

Attached Files:

6. rarac

rarac

this is just a devils puzzle, everything is scrambled and out of proportion, if your friend does not give you the original files you are better of redrawing it. Do you even know what the character is supposed to look like?

rubiccube554 likes this.
  7. rubiccube554

rubiccube554

Yes, I do have a sketch of how the character should look like. Also I see... so I suppose I should just redraw it? I do know how the end-product is gonna look like.

8. rarac

rarac

yeah basically this is all the parts of the character scrambled and resized to create an atlas, if you dont have the project files it will be harder for you to put this back together than redrawing it. You can try to assemble it in photoshop if you have the original sketch since it looks like there is a lot of effort in coloring and it looks like good art

the best thing would be if you got the full unity project folder from him

9. rubiccube554

rubiccube554

Can you enlighten me or send some guides about this redrawing process for just this art? I agree with you, it looks really good and would be nice to assemble it. I don't mind spending time learning the redrawing process.

Thanks in advance rarac

10. rarac

rarac

if you post the sketch i can show you the gist of it

11. rubiccube554

rubiccube554

Thanks a lot. Just a side note sadly, when I said sketch, I meant a finished product of the art. Basically the "disassembled" piece, was drawn as inspiration from a finished one already. I'm not sure if this will suffice as a "sketch" or an overview of the finished piece. Please let me know what you think!

12. rarac

rarac

yes this makes it much easier do you have photoshop? I can make a video to show you how you have to do it

13. rubiccube554

rubiccube554

I have photoshop yeah, and oh god yes please! Would appreciate it a lot.

14. rarac

rarac

so this is more or less what you would have to do, it requires some patience and trying to figure it out but yeah. Then you would export the file to unity and everything would be in its place and you could then remake your character there.

rubiccube554 likes this.
  15. rubiccube554

rubiccube554

Omg, you're a professional! Thanks so much, will dig right into it :D

16. rarac

rarac

no problem XD its just copy and pasting =)

rubiccube554 likes this.
  17. rarac

rarac

anyway this is quite some effort, your friend probably already did this if you could have the project folder from him it would save you all the trouble XD

rubiccube554 likes this.
  18. rubiccube554

rubiccube554

Yeah, haha... There is over 50 art to do, but I don't mind doing this on my free time. :p

Some has a .prefab attached to it, not all but some. Not sure if that will help? :p

19. rarac

rarac

maybe, did you try to drag it into a unity project?

rubiccube554 likes this.