Search Unity

1. All Pro and Enterprise subscribers: find helpful & inspiring creative, tech, and business know-how in the new Unity Success Hub. Sign in to stay up to date.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Mesh Terrain Editor, a mesh-based terrain creator, converter and editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by zwcloud, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Jenzo83

Jenzo83

I've just tested the latest version and must say it's an amazing improvement!!! It works really great for our workflow.

A couple of small stuff:
    1. The brush size is off. When the size is set to one, I get a really big selection. (The mesh isn't scaled.)
    2. I would like a quick toggle between the important colors when painting. RGB.

3. Strength vs falloff. Strength is how far up/down I want the vertex to go with a click, falloff is how many verticies it can affect with a falloff curve. (To create soft vs sharp hills.
    4. A gizmo (handle) to drag up and down the terrain would be really cool. See screenshot from 3D Studio Max.

5. Add your own Brush Mask Textures. ( Put textures in a specific folder perhaps? )
    6. Smooth Landscape when holding "Shift" ( In Raise/Lower Terrain ) based on the options in the "Smooth Height Tab"
    7. Size option for the preview squares, they are really big. :)

Thanks for supporting the tool!!! You're doing a great job!

UnityLighting likes this.
  2. zwcloud

zwcloud

Hi @Jenzo83
    Thank you very mush for your detailed feedback!

Could you please provide a mesh as a simple that can reproduce the issue? I cannot reproduce that in my computer with MTE Pro 2.4.

Good idea. That is added to the TODO list.

Yes. I'm considering adding a curve editor to MTE Editor. And use this as the falloff paramter.
    Like this: curve_editor.png

Good idea. This should be added to the mesh toolbox. I'm feeling crafting a 3dsMax now.:D

This is done in the next verison of MTE.
    brushes.png
    Now the brushes should be enough.;)
    All these are dynamically loaded from png pictures in a directoy.

This is what I tried to do in the first version of MTE. And I found that the FPS of the scene view sometimes drops heavily if you holds any key. So it may not be that practical to switch to the smooth function in your requested manner. I'll reconsider this in the following development.
    I'll add hotkeys for each tab in the next version.

Sure. Added to the TODO list.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  3. zwcloud

zwcloud

I have received many feedbacks from the users of MTE. I'll make a list of the new features and improvements in the next version of MTE. Please continue telling me what you want from MTE. Thank you!

4. Jenzo83

Jenzo83

Wow! Great news, really looking forward to the new version. I think everything sounds great. :)

Here is my terrain mesh and another simplier mesh.
    www.jesoftware.se/stuff/Mesh.zip

( I'm getting fewer vertex points on the ground plane. )

After an update I'm getting this error message when trying to open the editor and converter.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEditor.EditorWindow.GetWindowPrivate (System.Type t, Boolean utility, System.String title, Boolean focus) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorWindow.cs:474)
    UnityEditor.EditorWindow.GetWindow (System.Type t, Boolean utility, System.String title, Boolean focus) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/EditorWindowBindings.gen.cs:49)
    UnityEditor.EditorWindow.GetWindow (System.Type t) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/EditorWindowBindings.gen.cs:44)
    ‭‍‪‮‮‏‎‮‎‏‍‍‏‬‍‍‪‮.‎‌‫‭‍‭‌‭‪‌‌‎‬‭‫‮‬‫‭‎‮ (System.Type )
    ‭‍‪‮‮‏‎‮‎‏‍‍‏‬‍‍‪‮.‍‭‎‬‍‎‬‮‮‪‌‎‍‬‌‫‪‎‫‌‮‮‪‍‮ ()
    ‭‍‪‮‮‏‎‮‎‏‍‍‏‬‍‍‪
    ‮.‭‭‬‭‫‭‌‍‬‏‫‮‬‮‫‌‪‏‬‏‮ ()

Any ideas? It works again if I delete MTE and reimport it.

Thanks for all the changes, I've changed my rating to 5 stars!
    Keep up the good work!

5. Jenzo83

Jenzo83

When I come to think of it:
    - When I first create my "Vertex Color Initializer" you fill the mesh with RGB 255.255.255 (white), could you please fill it RGBA 0.0.0 (black) instead?
    - We use vertex alpha to paint darker parts of our terrain, would it be possible to switch to paint alpha instead of RGB?
    ( I want to keep the vertex color as it is when painting the vertex alpha. 3dsmax has it. :cool: )
    - It would be nice to have some kind of random generate vertex colors across the whole mesh. As a base to work from.

6. zwcloud

zwcloud

Thank you very mush.

Is the MTE editor window open when you importing the new version of MTE? That may cause the issue. I'll try to fix that in the next version.

I'll add a function to clear the colors to a specified color. That should do the job.

OK. The vertex colors are often used for special purposes. I should have noticed that. Added to the TODO list.

Good idea. Added to the TODO list. I'll also add more functions from the Ikari vertex painter in future versions.

7. zwcloud

zwcloud

The brush size parameter of height tools and the vertex color painter is base on the cell size as the unit. The cell size is calculated per mesh: the distance between the 1st and the 2nd vertex in the x or z axis direction. This works well for even meshes but it does make troubles when applied to normal meshes.
    Maybe I should use the absolute length instead.

8. zwcloud

zwcloud

@Jenzo83
    Falloff.png
    Does this answer your requirement about the falloff paramter?

Edit:
    No, I think it is not. The height should not change when the strength is fixed.

What you want is a falloff curve like this, right? A bigger falloff value results in a sharper slope.
    Falloff_curve.png

Update:
    Done!
    falloff_by_curve.png

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  9. Velastine

Velastine

Screenshot - 8_26_2016 , 5_36_07 PM.png

I seem to be unable to get past the first step.

I selected my terrain game object in my scene and clicked open the converter just like you did in the video. The converter seems to have problem recognising my game object with the terrain or something?

I am using Unity 5.4.0f3 Personal.

10. zwcloud

zwcloud

Do you add any textures to the terrain? I'm sorry the warning is not clear but you need to add 4 textures to the terrain and then the terrain is convertible with MTE Free.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  11. Jenzo83

Jenzo83

Hi!
    The new features looks GREAT!
    Unfortunately I can't use the tool anymore, I get some error when opening the editor and have the desired mesh selected. (Unity 5.3.6)
    :(
    (I have the pro version but the pro features is locked. hmmm?)

I'm really looking forward to use the tool!
    Best regards
    Jenz

12. zwcloud

zwcloud

Hi, in v2.5, a per-machine license system is added, so you need to activate MTE Pro using your invoice number. Please follow the instructions in readme.htm. I'm sorry for the inconvience.

I noticed that there are errors when you open MTE Editor. I think reimporting MTE.dll will solve that problem.

13. Jenzo83

Jenzo83

Thanks for your reply! I read the Readme. :) I moved out the assets from MTE into Plugins and Editor as instructed. Still the same issue. When I try to activate the version and click on the "i" I get the same error as opening the editor. I tried to reimport the mte.dll but no luck. I tried to switch from Android build to PC build but no luck there either. ;(

Please help, what am I missing?

EDIT
    I think this is new? It's when I press the "i".

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    ‮‎‏‮‪‎‪‌‍‌‏‪‭‏‭‮‎‫‌‌‍‪‎‪‏‮.‭‫‫‏‎‍‬‌‍‎‬‮‏‌‪‏‎‎‫‮ (System.String , Int32 )
    ‮‎‏‮‪‎‪‌‍‌‏‪‭‏‭‮‎‫‌‌‍‪‎‪‏‮.‪‌‭‮‎‪‫‏‌‎‏‏‬‬‎‪‎‭‪‫‬‮ (System.String )
    ‪‌‍‪‫‍‫‮‮‏‌‌‍‏‎‏‬‫‬‏‬‌‮.‬‮‪‭‫‪‫‎‪‎‌‌‭‎‍‬‫‪‪‮‮‮‮ (System.String , System.Byte[] )
    ‪‌‍‪‫‍‫‮‮‏‌‌‍‏‎‏‬‫‬‏‬‌‮.‬‮‪‭‫‪‫‎‪‎‌‌‭‎‍‬‫‪‪‮‮‮‮ (System.String )
    ‮‏‮‪‬‮‫‬‮‍‍‭‎‎‍‮‏‮‎‏‫‎‪‌‎‫‪‮.‭‭‍‌‌‏‏‭‍‫‭‎‬‎‍‮‮‍‮‏‫‎‮ ()
    ‫‭‪‫‫‪‍‍‏‌‌‭‪‪‫‮‪‪‮‫‬‮.‍‬‮‎‎‮‪‍‍‏‮‏‏‬‌‫‎‮ ()
    ‪‌‫‌‌‮‮‎‮‬‏‮‫‎‎‭‏‏‏‮‬‏‪‎‮.OnGUI ()
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

14. zwcloud

zwcloud

I can't reproduce that on Unity5.3.0. I will try again on Unity5.3.6. It will take some time to download the exact version of Unity. I'm sorry but please wait.

15. Jenzo83

Jenzo83

No problem, I hope it's an issue with the newer version. Otherwise it will be harder to solve... Good luck! Cheers

16. zwcloud

zwcloud

I have installed Unity5.3.6f1 and still cannot reproduce the error. I'm still trying.

17. jimmikaelkael

jimmikaelkael

Hi, I'm interested in buying the asset however I need to convert a big terrain (4kmx4km, high heightmap resolution) to a mesh.
    I don't bother if it creates several meshes as I know there's a vertices limit per mesh.
    My main concern is to not loose terrain fidelity as I have other meshes on the terrain and I need it to be really "snapped" to the converted meshTerrain (I need it to be correct with a max error of 0.03, 3 centimeters).

Is it possible with the current version, or are you planning it ? I can be the beta tester for this functionality if required :)

EDIT: Another question, is it possible to mass delete triangles ? For example using box selection on the terrainMesh then cut it ?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  18. zwcloud

zwcloud

Hi, thanks for your interest!

Oh, that's a really big terrain. It's not possilble with current version. The MTE converter is sure to be more powerful. So.. yes, I will try implementing one that meet your demand. But I would recommend you try the Terrain To Mesh if you are in a harry. I haven't used it but it claims it is a ultra fast terrain converter. And then you can try editing the meshes with MTE - I'm not sure if MTE works well on very big meshes.

Yes, that's a planned feature in future version of MTE Pro.

19. jimmikaelkael

jimmikaelkael

Thank you for such quick answers! ;)
    Well I know about Terrain To Mesh, so yeah it's possible alternative for the initial terrain to mesh convert. Then MTE can come in handy in order to paint textures on these meshes.

About big meshes anyway Terrain To Mesh will convert it to meshes with max 65k vertices each, so there's no problem after that or am I missing something ?

20. zwcloud

zwcloud

I think you can paint textures smoothly on big meshes with MTE. Note the maximum control map supported by MTE is 1024*1024 in v2.5(latest version).

But the editing process of vertexes' heights may become lagged. MTE editor needs to update the collider of mesh every frame if you edit the heights by dragging, so it may take much time when editing big meshes. (The process of updating collider mesh is controlled by Unity3D, something related to the physx.) In this situation, the framerate of scene view drops heavily if the process uses more than about 20ms. I should say that is really annoying. Editing the heights by clicking is always good. I'm still considering if there are ways that can solve the problem.

Note MTE v2.5 does not support editing mutiple meshes at once. This is to be done in a future version.

jimmikaelkael likes this.
  21. Jenzo83

Jenzo83

That is so strange. :(
    I've created a new blank project with only MTE, tested it on plane, still the same issue...

I will test it on another computer tomorrow...

22. zwcloud

zwcloud

OK.. I finally reproduced the issue just now, please wait a moment.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  23. zwcloud

zwcloud

The issue has been fixed in v2.5.1.
    MTE Pro v2.5.1 has been submitted to Unity asset store. Please wait for their approval.

@Jenzo83

24. Jenzo83

Jenzo83

Wonderful! I've got the same issue on my other computer...
    Thanks for great support! <3

25. Jenzo83

Jenzo83

It works with 2.5.1 and it's magic! Love the tool!

26. crimsonnight

crimsonnight

27. zwcloud

zwcloud

Do you add any textures to the terrain? I'm sorry the warning is not clear but you need to add 4 textures to the terrain and then the terrain is convertible with MTE Free and 2/3/4/5 textures with MTE Pro.

28. crimsonnight

crimsonnight

Thank you very much for your swift response, my bad, that seems to have fixed it :)
    I'm having another issue though which I think is specific to my project, so I'll message you directly.

29. Yiseul0

Yiseul0

upload_2016-9-20_12-22-2.png

I used MTE Free version.
    What's the problem? Because of the Free version?
    Do I need change some options?

30. zwcloud

zwcloud

Thanks for your feedback very much!

No No.. That‘s not because of the free version. :)

A converted mesh is to be different with the original terrain. This is affected by many factors:
    1. MTE uses a surface shader instead of a standard shader.
      Unity_2016-09-20_11-53-03.png
      Try changing this setting of the terrain to Built In Legacy Diffuse.
    2. The Tilling of splat textures may be inaccurate and thus makes the mesh brighter or darker.
    3. The cell size of the mesh is different with the original terrain.
    4. No normalmap.
    5. (Other factors I didn't realize. I have to admit that I don't know much about lighting matters of Unity3D.)
    I'm now working on this to make the looking of converted mesh more similar to the original terrain.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  31. Yiseul0

Yiseul0

Thanks for your ultra-fast feedback!!!
    I tryed change the terrain's surface option and fixed its problem!

But I found another problem..
    upload_2016-9-20_14-44-39.png

I changed the terrain's tilling size option.
    Its terrain size is same all as 500x500.
    It seems like you miscalculated some values.
    (I didn't use any height brush, height options, tree, grass or etc..
    I just use texture paint functions and material options you said.
    I think it was related to unity terrain's basic mesh cell size equals the terrain's tile size as 15x15
    You might use tiling size mixed with terrain cell size.... I don't know exactly. just my guess...)

With pleasure, I will be waiting for your feed back again!

32. zwcloud

zwcloud

@Yiseul0
    Yes, I did. My Bad. I have confirmed that just now. I'll fix that in the next version. For now you need to adjust the tilling of the textures yourself, I'm sorry.

Edit:
    I have found the cause of the issue.
    The correct tilling should be calculated in this way: terrainData.size.x/splatPrototype.tileSize.x. But I incorrectly used splatPrototype.tileSize.x directly as the tilling-x. This is exacly what you have pointed out. Thanks!

33. zwcloud

zwcloud

Recent progress:
    1. Fix convertor tilling issue. Many thanks to @Yiseul0 .
    2. Add bumped shaders. The convertor will retain the normal maps after convertion.
    3. Fix fog support.

Can you tell which one is a Unity3D terrain? :p
    MTE-mesh-terrain-bumped.jpg

34. zwcloud

zwcloud

MTE v2.6 published.

What's new:
    # Converter​
    * The terrain convertor will retain normal maps now.
    * Fix issue: in convertor, warning message for a terrain with no texture is not correct.
    * Fix issue: the tilling is not correctly calculated when converting a terrain.​
    # Editor​
    * Texture painter: apply the normalmap to the preview.​
    # General​
    * Reorganize shaders: shaders are renamed and useless shader codes are removed.
    * Add bumped diffuse shaders.
    * Optimize GUI of the shaders: the UI is compacted; useless tilling and offset properties are removed; normal maps are added for bumped shaders.
    * Fix issue: fog doesn't work.​

35. zwcloud

zwcloud

upload_2016-10-24_9-52-11.png 3 star? Why? Tell me what you want!

36. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

How does that go? o.o

37. sateyr

sateyr

This asset should have 5 stars, thanks to the developer and ignore the trolls.

38. zwcloud

zwcloud

Sorry for my late reply. I was busy on another project last month and hardly had time to implement that. I'll finish that feature in this month!

Thank you! I'm glad you like it.

39. Jenzo83

Jenzo83

Hi!

- I was wondering why the .FBX support got dropped? The obj exporter from my 3D package is really bad, it can't even export UV2 which is used for the lightmap ;(
    (Right now I can't save the mesh that I am working on.)

[MTE] Save mesh<Mesh_TerrainBase_Cropped (UnityEngine.GameObject)> failed. Make sure the gameObject is a mesh with a MeshCollider and the mesh is created from a obj file.
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogErrorFormat(String, Object[])
    ‮‮‏‏‏‍‪‪‍‬‌‮‌‎‎‎‮:‬‫‏‎‏‎‍‏‭‪‬‬‭‭‎‏‍‬‏‮‌‭‮‍‌‌‮(String, Object[])
    ‮‮‏‏‏‍‪‪‍‬‌‮‌‎‎‎‮:‏‏‭‏‍‏‌‬‪‪‫‭‪‪‌‮‪‎‪‪‮‪‎‮‮()
    ‮‮‏‏‏‍‪‪‍‬‌‮‌‎‎‎‮:OnGUI()
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

- The issue with too many vertices selected is not fixed for me. Could I get a size below 1? Like 0.1? 1= 9 vertices for me.

- I can't get your the brushes to load /appear. (screenshot)

- Shift to sample a height is not a good key because when you move the camera you want to use shift to travel faster with the camera in Unity. So you sample the height everywhere you go...

Thanks!

40. zwcloud

zwcloud

Hello!

@Jenzo83

FBX is not ever supported. I was thinking adding one but no user requests. And, to support FBX, we need to introduce some external native libraries because the FBX format can only be handled with Autodesk FBX SDK. Thus it requires at least two native implementation on MacOS and Windows. I should say that's not an easy work.

Do you mean that you can't properly export the 3D terrain mesh from (for example) 3dsMax to a obj file and lightmap generated in 3dsMax? And when the model is put in the scene of Unity3D, the lightmap seems not applied to the model? It won't because it doesn't use the Unity3D way.

I have experiences in using a custom lightingmap and sample it from a custom shader. Is it what you want? I should say that's essential if you want to use lightmaps that are not generated by Unity3D. There is another way, though.

OK. The min brush size will be adjusted in the next version.

I see. That usually occurs when MTE failed to load its editor resources, not just the brushes. See the tool buttons, there should have been an icon in every tool button. Maybe closing the MTE window and reimporting MTE.dll will work. If it still happens, please provide a screenshot or text of the complete console output.

:oops: Yes. I missed that point. May I ask you what's your preference on the hotkey of sampling the height?
    Update: In v2.8 Ctrl will be used instead of Shift.

I really appreciate your feedbacks! Thank you!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  41. zwcloud

zwcloud

It took a while to make MTE work in Unity3D 5.2.3 on hacktoish MacOS.
    MTE works on MacOS.jpg
    And MTE should work on Unity5.x.x in the next version.

I'll commit the package to the asset store today so users can use MTE on a Mac. The following features will be available in a following release in this month.
    1. extruding more vertices & triangles requested by Gekigengar.
    2. editing multiple terrain mesh together.
    3. the features and modification in the reply to Jenzo83.
    Update: Failed to implement extruding more vertices. Because there are too much work to do for editing multiple terrain mesh together. Sorry.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    Gekigengar likes this.
  42. zwcloud

zwcloud

MTE v2.7 is published!

What's new:
    # General
    * Make MTE compatible with Unity3D 5.0/5.1/5.2/5.3/5.4.
    * Port MTE to MacOS, tested in Unity5.2.3 on OSX 10.11.3 EI Capitan.

I'm working on the new features. Some of them require rewriting core functions of MTE, so it will take a few more days to complete. Please be patient.:oops:

Some progress on editing mutiple meshes together:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    Gekigengar likes this.
  43. zwcloud

zwcloud

Progress:
    Implemented editing mutiple meshes for first three height tools, including undo and redo.

(Big GIF) http://imgur.com/PQsKD54

44. zwcloud

zwcloud

I'm implementing painting textures on mutiple meshes at once. And I'm wondering what kind of operation mode would you like?:)

I thought for some while and have some ideas:

First, the user need to add textures, which can be used to paint, to a list via the editor GUI. There is another way to add textures automatically: use tag/layer or other conditions to identify mesh-terrains and then load all the splat-maps (_Splat0/1/2/3/4) from them into the list.
    Then the user select a texture in the list to paint. It is the users' responsiblity to make sure that the texture is used as a splat-map in the mesh-terrain, which means the texture is assigned to one of _Splat0/1/2/3/4. Otherwise nothing will be painted.
    And every time the user need a new texture, he or she should add it to the list via the editor GUI (and assign it to one of the mesh-terrains' splat-maps as well).

In this way, if two mesh-terrains share a splat texture, the user will be able to paint this texture on both mesh-terrains at once.

That's very different from the current behaviour of texture painter, but that's needed because MTE won't know what texture can be used to paint on a specific mesh-terrain.

Any ideas? I think there may be a more convenient way but...:oops:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  45. zwcloud

zwcloud

Found an insignificant bug in mesh to mesh-terrain converter: the maximum texcoord isn't 1.0. It is caused by the incorrect calculation of the uv. I forgot to minus 1 when normalizing the texcoords.
    Oh! 2016-12-05_00-42-56.png

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  46. Vontarga

Vontarga

Using Unity Version 5.4.3f1 Pro.

I am testing the free version prior to buying. As soon as I install it I get this message:

There are inconsistent line endings in the 'Assets/MTE/Editor Default Resources/MTE/PaintTexturePreview.shader' script. Some are Mac OS X (UNIX) and some are Windows.
    This might lead to incorrect line numbers in stacktraces and compiler errors. Many text editors can fix this using Convert Line Endings menu commands.

47. zwcloud

zwcloud

Thanks for trying MTE!
    That's just a harmless warning and won't have any influence on user experience. Sure I'll fix that in the next version.

Vontarga likes this.
  48. zwcloud

zwcloud

Finally,:D
    Progress of the function that can paint textures on mutiple meshes at once:
    (four tiled mesh-terrains)

I'm now improving some details of the function.:)

Update:
    Undo/redo is done for texture painter.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  49. zwcloud

zwcloud

Progress:

Painting vertex colors on mutiple meshes at once, including undo/redo.

(two tiled mesh-terrains)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  50. zwcloud

zwcloud

MTE v2.8 has been submitted to the asset store, waiting for their approval.

The price will be increased to $49 when v2.8 is released. Users who have bought MTE won't have to pay again. So if you are interested in MTE Pro, be quick to buy MTE now. (It should only take about one week to be approved and released.)

What's new in v2.8:
    • Creator (New)
      • Added a creator to create mesh-terrains directly without converting.
      • The creator can create multiple tiled mesh-terrains at once.
    • Converter
      • Fix mesh-to-mesh-terrain converter: max uv is not (1,1).
    • Editor
      • Multiple editing feature is added to all editors.
      • Texture Painter:
        • Fix the converting to terrain tool.
      • Vertex color painter:
        • Fix the typo of VertexColorInitializer.
        • Add a randomize tool to fill mesh-terrains with randomly generated colors.
      • Mesh Toolbox
        • Multiple vertices can be moved/deleted together.
        • Face deleting function is temporarily removed.
      • Settings
        • Add an option to adjust brush unit size
        • Visualize the point size and the flashing.
        • Visualize the brush unit size as a rectangle.
    • General
      • Optimize the performance when painting.
      • Added a filter to filter mesh-terrains by the layer and/or the tag.
      • Added a history viewer for viewing undo/redo information.
      • Remove Toggling SelectionWireframe function. Because MTE doesn't require the mesh-terrains to be selected when being edited any longer.
      • The point (e.g. the flashing points) is fixed-size now.
      • By default, brush sizes are in the same unit as Unity3D. The range is adjusted to [0.1, 10]. The unit can be adjusted in Setting/BrushUnitSize.
      • The min-size of the editor window is smaller.

unityunity