Search Unity

Mesh Simplify - Quickly reduce polygon count on your 3D models

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UGTools, Aug 11, 2015.

1. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

I love this tool, just one complain..

Z fighting.. It should some kind of checkbox ( Prevent Z fighting ) than detects vertecies/edges/face overlap and move it front like 0.001f to prevent Z fighting.. or user can define how much put further..

2. Chaz32621

Chaz32621

This does not work well with prefabs at all.

But hasnt been updated in over a year so should have expected this.

3. destapp

destapp

Hi, can i reduce size file when i reduce mesh my 3d models? so i can save my size apk and memory.
    i think this is a great tools for game 3d

thanks.

4. GXMark

GXMark

i want to run the Mesh Simplify without coroutines
    Is there a way i can call Mesh Simplify with a single method call and return a simplified mesh ?

5. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Hi!

Is there a way to save the result? I'm attempting to simplify the mesh before doing another process from another asset, but the 2nd process seems to take the original mesh, rather than the reduced value. I'd like to "Save" that reduced mesh.

6. mbhagat

mbhagat

I am getting below error.

Assets/Ultimate Game Tools/MeshSimplify/Scripts/Simplifier.cs(593,17): error CS0619: `UnityEngine.Mesh.Optimize()' is obsolete: `This method is no longer supported (UnityUpgradable)'

Assets/Ultimate Game Tools/MeshSimplify/Scripts/Simplifier.cs(229,9): error CS0103: The name `Profiler' does not exist in the current context

Unity version 5.5.0f3

7. Dreamcube017

Dreamcube017

GAH a shame this isn't being updated anymore. And this seems to be the best one out of all of the mesh simplification tools on the store. I imported and built a level with some meshes, just to realize too late that they are far too high in polycount (A single path has over 15 million triangles.) It works with my current version of Unity (2018.3), but after this project I'll be moving to a newer version which according to the reviews, this no longer works.... Geeze, now I'll have to totally redo the level. Please update this asset or tell us why you can't or at least respond. Thanks.

8. JonPQ

JonPQ

9. Jimbo_Slice

Jimbo_Slice

Anyone had a similar issue with shading on the optimized mesh? Any solutions?

Before:

After Optimization:

Things I have tried already:
    • Screwed around with the Import Settings of the original mesh (tried virtually every combination) - things like Normals mode, Smoothness Source etc. (just different varieties of artefact)
    • Generated Lightmap UVs in Import Settings (worse)
    • Removed backfaces in Blender and re-imported, then re-optimized new backface-less mesh (no effect)
    • Tried TriPlanar shader (no effect)
    • Wrote a script to perform Mesh.Optimize(), Mesh.RecalculateNormals(), and Mesh.RecalculateTangents() - but kept getting errors that I am not allowed to perform these operations on the optimzed mesh. Unfortunately there are no import settings on the .asset that is generated by Mesh Simplify so I can't set Read/Write enabled.

10. aaronfranke

aaronfranke

Does this tool work for VRChat?

11. Skeketor23

Skeketor23

have you tried to enable "double sided global illumination" in the shader?

12. tahabaig

tahabaig

13. jnbbender

jnbbender

Where are the new meshes stored?

14. Fibonaccov

Fibonaccov

Fantastic asset which imports and works without issues in 2019.4 - I like the fact you can add overlay spheres to mask which parts of the mesh you want not / less affected by Mesh Simplify. You can tune some relevance setting on the sphere.

If you tick on the Enable Prefab field, it will save the optimized asset to disk under Assets

I have tried a lot of mesh optimizers and this one does a great job and having the capability of using the masks is a major plus in my book.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  15. yeagob

yeagob

Hi guys!

Im looking for a mesh siimplification to eliminate mesh superposition. I have a runtime generated mesh with some penetration between objects. When unify objects i need to eliminate inside vertex. Your asset do that?

16. sprogobalionas

sprogobalionas

I prefer using blender, for me personally, it's easier to import, edit and export back to unity.

17. iGoA

iGoA

Has anybody an idea how I could solve the following?
    I've tried the Mesh Simplify asset for this asset:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...ds/sci-fi/sci-fi-space-soldier-polygonr-66384
    And when I click "compute mesh", the mesh dissappers in the view and in the inspector (at the Skinned Mesh Renderer component) there's this warning:
    upload_2022-2-23_20-3-16.png
    I cannot use a (not skinned) mesh renderer.
    I've tried different settings.

18. greatUnityGamer

greatUnityGamer

Hi it's the best tool i've seen in my life but for characters, there is alittle problem. If they have blendshapes in them, it removes them. What can be done about this?

19. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

does this bake normal delta at runtime?