Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Mesh Renderer Inspector broken in Unity 2021.2.0f1

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by IJM, Nov 5, 2021.

1. IJM

IJM

I've upgraded to the latest Unity version (2021.2.0f1) 4 days ago, and I've noticed a pretty annoying bug:
    Inspector for the MeshRenderer is not rendering properly.

upload_2021-11-5_10-24-8.png

If I do many clicks at the fast pace "Element 0" will show up for a frame or two. (Don't ask me why I tried this )
    I've tried dragging and dropping materials into the blank space, but it's not working.
    Restarting the Inspector or the Unity Editor does nothing.

What I have to do now is switch to "Debug" mode if I wish to change the material.

I'm running this Unity Editor on a Windows 10 (20H2), 4K display with 150% scale, on the Ryzen 5000 and RTX 3000 series, and I'm working with a custom SRP. (Not that any of these information should really matter)

Everything worked fine in the previous version, and it's not happening with any other list in the Inspector.

Please fix this, thanks.

p.s.
    I've been working with Unity for over 11 years so I can get my way around this, and I understand it's a bug.
    But for someone who is just starting their game development journey something as simple as assigning a material to an object not working could be a reason to quit Unity and switch to a different engine.

peterfiveeight likes this.
  2. Interesting. I don't see this error. My material list is behaving completely normal. Although I don't have 4k monitor (I usually work in 175% UI Scale but now I tried to lower to 150). Are you using BiRP or any of the SRPs? Does it happen if you create a new project with the same parameters?

3. IJM

IJM

Same problem with all the projects, I'm using a custom RP that I developed for the current project. (Same thing with older URP and BiRP projects). Not that It should have anything to do with RP.

4. IJM

IJM

I just found the reason for the bug; And I can see how this could go under the radar.

So, I'm using 2 screens, one is a larger 40'' 4K that I use mostly for coding, and one part of the Unity editor. (Hierarchy, Inspector, Lighting, and other tools)
    The second monitor is a 27'' Full HD that I use for gameplay preview, so I'm holding my Scene and Game views on that one.

This is the Layout of the screens in the Windows Display settings:
    upload_2021-11-5_13-57-32.png

When I move the Inspector window on the right monitor so that the MeshRenderer component is above the top line of the left monitor the bug will appear. If I lower the inspector window that's on the right monitor so it's top is under the top line of the left monitor everything renders properly.
    If I move the Inspector window to the left monitor, everything works fine as well.

I've been using the same layout for Unity Editor for about 2 years now, and everything worked just fine. (Until the latest update)
    I guess it has to do with culling.

I hope this helps you in fixing the bug.

p.s.
    I understand that my layout with two different sized monitors is a bit strange, but I don't plan to change that, in fact I'm waiting for a new 27'' 4K to arrive and replace the current one; I hope that won't cause even more problems. (crying laughing emoji)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  5. crdmrn

crdmrn

Fun fact, this was there already in 2021.1.23 apparently, just bumped into this bug myself :/

6. IJM

IJM

Are you also having the problem on multiple monitors?

p.s.
    Maybe I skipped that one. :)

7. Have either of you actually submitted a bug report about it? If not, please one of you do!

8. sinandinc

sinandinc

same problem here on 2 screens:| I'm using mac book pro with a 4k monitor, unity 2021.2.3f1.

9. andylewisart

andylewisart

Also having similar issues, and my Edit Collider button is sometimes missing:
    upload_2021-12-20_13-25-59.png

10. MervayB

MervayB

I have the same issue. I have a 15" laptop and a 27" external monitor. On the laptop I see the contents of the material (and any other) list properly, but on the external monitor the list elements do not show up. I am using Unity 2021.2.0f1. Do you know if the issue is fixed in later editor versions?

11. sinandinc

sinandinc

still waiting for a solution for this:(

12. majidJ

majidJ

The unity team should pay attention to these kinds of bugs. Honestly. It's very irritating to work with Unity, it wasted one hour of my precious time and I'm sure it did to anyone else even more, I don't know how I can resolve this aside that getting the project from git again and do the hard work of applying the changes again.