Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions by the end of July. Read our announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Mesh Particles flicker when GPU Instancing active (Unity's standard Particles Shader)

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by DragonCoder, Mar 4, 2022.

1. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Hello Community,
    am having a strange problem on Windows and with any Unity version (tried 2021+ as well as the newest beta).
    Particles flicker heavily as one can see in this video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r1dvxe6768byra0/ParticleMeshOclusion - SampleScene - Windows, Mac, Linux - Unity 2021.2.0b3.3078.7 Personal_ _DX11_ 2022-03-04 03-01-45.mp4?dl=0
    upload_2022-3-4_3-22-30.png

If I disable GPU instancing: No flickering. Enabling GPU instancing: Flickering.
    It only happens when there is more than one type of particles visible and once there is a substantial amount of them.

Am using the normal particles shader there on the built-in rendering pipeline. The regular standard mesh shader does not have this problem but it does not utilize the color channel how I need it.

What I have tried so far to change without any improvement:
    - Pressing the "Apply to Systems" button for the "Required Vertex Streams" sections of the materials.
    - Particles sorting modes
    - Particles render alignment
    - Camera- as well as particle- positions and rotations
    - Changing camera Rendering path (Forward\Deferred)

Anybody have an idea?
    Huge thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
  2. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

3. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Ah very interesting.
    Sorta coincidentally (I merged my work into a briefly older project where I want to use it and the issue disappeared), I have been able to narrow down the Unity version way further!

It happens in:
    2021.2.0b3
    But NOT in:
    2021.1.2f1

Hope that helps to fix it :)

4. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

richardkettlewell likes this.