Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Mesh not working on Animation when copying Avatar. Retargeting issue.

Discussion in 'Animation' started by GerardChalaux, Mar 3, 2021.

1. GerardChalaux

GerardChalaux

EDIT: THIS PROBLEM HAS BEEN SOLVED BUT I'M STILL WONDERING WHY THIS WORKS THE WAY I PRESENT ON THE 3RD POST

Hello.

I've been learning how to animate characters in Blender to export to Unity; I figured the best would be to create a prototype mannequin I can use to make the animations and then use Humanoid Avatars to be able to use those animations with any other character model.

So far everything works fine, my armature works and animations work, but now I'm trying to export another model, which has an armature identical to the prototype avatar. My problem is the new model's mesh is not doing anything, as if it wasn't parented with the armature; except it is and it works in Blender just fine. I've tried changing the Skin Weights in Edit > Quality but it does nothing. Weird thing the armature is indeed playing the animation, but it does not translate to the mesh and is stuck in T-Pose.

Any idea why this could be happening?

Thank you.

PD. btw ignore the fact those are mixamo models, I'm not using the mixamo armature nor the animations, only the 3D models

issue1.jpg issue2.jpg issue3.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  2. Slowin

Slowin

3. GerardChalaux

GerardChalaux

Yup, looks like we're on the same boat. My character's mesh also moves if I rotate the bones individually but it won't during the animation in runtime and neither by going through the animation on the Animation tab. I will try to figure out the problem, if I get anything I'll let you know. Please tell me if you do.

4. GerardChalaux

GerardChalaux

I think I solved my problem, it may not be the solution to yours though, I'm not sure.

For some reason I don't quite understand there's no need to use the first character's Avatar on the Animator of the second character when both characters have the same exact rig configuration and all bones are named exactly the same.

All I had to do to solve my problem is use the second character's Avatar on its own Animator (by previously creating it on Import) and simply use the animations from the first character.

This really confuses me though, because the second character's rig, even-though its bones have the same names, is not identical to the first character's rig: its bones were moved to fit the character model. In Blender when I play the animation it looks funky (see pictures), which makes sense since the bone's positions are relative to the rig; but somehow in Unity it works just fine! Somehow the animations adjust to the new rig perfectly, and I've no idea how!

If anyone can enlighten me here I'd very much appreciate it. I won't be able to sleep if I don't understand why this is happening.

issue4.jpg issue5.jpg