Search Unity

Mesh not well rendered on Android

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by 05cordie, Feb 16, 2019.

1. 05cordie

05cordie

Hi everybody,

I don't know why my character and other meshes in the scene are not well rendered when I set the environment to Android (it is ok with Windows standalone). There is this strange effect, that you can see in the picture...
    I played with light, graphical settings, camera... but no way to solve this issue... Any idea ? unity_character_rendering.png

What it should be like :
    character_good.PNG

I am using Unity 2018.3.3.
    I was working in a previous version of my project, I did some changes in the Windows standalone environment and got this effect when switching back to Android.

Thank you very much for your help

2. BoogieD

BoogieD

What did you do when you changed things before this effect came about?
    Check your character mesh. It is like the normals for one side are different.
    Did you change anything with the character mesh or it's shaders?

3. 05cordie

05cordie

Hi, I changed nothing on the characters and I have the same effect on stones... That's why I was thinking this come from a more general parameter...
    If I had a prefab in scene which come directly from the Asset I bought, I get this effect, if I do the same in another project, the rendering is clean... Must be a way to change it but how... ?

4. BoogieD

BoogieD

I'm just as perplexed as yourself. o_O
    Try making a new project with just the minimal and see if it does it then.
    What shaders are you using? Some shaders are not capable of working as designed on some devices such as mobile phones.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  5. 05cordie

05cordie

I am using the Unity Standard shader and it comes from the shader. I was able to get ride of this effect by using a custom shader.

But all the objects of my projects which use the standard shader have the same issue...
    I made a new small projet just importing the characters with the same Unity version and Android environment and in this case, no problem.

Is there any way to reset Unity Standard Shader or some parameters to make it work again ?

6. BoogieD

BoogieD

So, the standard shader does display correctly with the same meshes and target device in a new project.
    Perhaps now compare the lighting differences, project settings->graphics etc.
    You are on your way to winning a divide and conquer battle.
    Try running Unity twice with each project running side by side so you can systematically compare all settings.
    There is no reset but always put things as you found unless you know specifically what it does and it's effect on other aspects.

7. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey! The most likely reason for this is that you have a UV seam running right in the middle of your character's face, and you have baked your scene lighting with your character set as static. If your character is intended to move, make sure that Static flag is unchecked.

Alternatively, if you need this mesh to remain static, make sure that you either author lightmap UVs yourself, or let Unity generate them for you in the mesh importer settings.