Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Mesh not static so darker also using light probes correctly

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by IndieFist, Sep 7, 2020.

1. IndieFist

IndieFist

I want to attach a picture, because i was using light probes like other tutorial, adding probes in each place were light changes but my mesh all time feel darker when using URP, with the same light probein built-in lmy mesh get more lightining probes.
    What can i do to improbe that?
    In my picture, you can see where are the probe, but mesh reamining darker.
    ---edit.--

More example.
    Same project, URP vs Builtin Same light settings, same lightgroup...etc...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  2. JenniferNordwall

JenniferNordwall

Unity Technologies

IndieFist likes this.
  3. IndieFist

IndieFist

Unity 2019.4.9 i was using gamma because my target is to Android/iOS
    URP 7.3.1

I dont know what to for fix that. If you see, in my first post, same project with built-in using light probes, our dinamyc gameobjects like character or boxes looks fine, but wiht URP looks to darker, i have removed light probe and added again but there is no the problem
    Right now testing my items, maps, characters in an empty new project and looks better. I think is something releated to ProjectSettings.asset, could be possible?

Ok, just switched to linear to check but doesn´t helpme this.
    I attach a picture for take a look. Up is bake with Built-in and down with URP, in URP you can see walls with so much light and characters using light probe too darkness....

Thanks for support.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  4. IndieFist

IndieFist

*Bump*

Why if i get my mesh and materials, and make the same scene in a new project then all looks better?
    Maybe the projectsstings.asset or quality.asset have some different or some value stored that make the change of how looks lights?

5. IndieFist

IndieFist

I will attach more pictures, another example, a simple box that looks so dark and light probes near have more light than this box.
    Im using simple lit and all looks fine.
    How can i improve this?

Attached Files:

6. Andre_Mcgrail

Andre_Mcgrail

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Been digging around to figure out what might be going on here, and there are two things contributing to this happening.
    1. There is currently a bug open with LightProbes and Gamma colourspace, it has only been discovered recently so still unfixed, you can track it here https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/urp-has-no-gamma-correction-for-lightprobes
    2. Light falloff was changed to be physically correct in URP
    The first issue unfotunately you will have to wait until we push out a fix, this most likely will get backported to 19LTS once it is made.

As for the second issue I will explain a bit:

So in builtin, light falloff was some made up calculation based on the range of the light radius and the brightness, this meant if you wanted a light to affect things far away you would generally just raise the range, and the opposite would be true as well, a less bright light you could jsut lower the range substantially.

Universal RP uses quadratic falloff for lights which is an efficient comprimise that is very close to real world light falloff. This means that the range of the light no longer affects the brightness of the light as X distance to the source, depending on how your lights were setup in builtin this can be more or less obvious when you switch, for example if you never really changed your intensity and ratehr changed the range of your lights to give the look of more light vs less light then converting to URP will give you quite different results.

Since the light falloff is more physically correct it also means that Gamma colourspace becomes even more incorrect, since you are doing all the lighting calculations in a non-linear method.

We are looking at how much we can automate an upgrade from builtin > URPs light falloff but due to the complexities of how light works we will never be able to match them 1:1.

I would suggest unless you are limited hardware wise(very old gles2 devices) that you look at converting the project to Linear and tweaking the lighting to look good there, rather than continuing with Gamma colourspace. If the project is very large and you are wanting to release soon then maybe it would be wiser to stick to builtin for now, and start the next project in URP with Linear colourspace to begin with.

IndieFist likes this.
  7. IndieFist

IndieFist

Well, all our projects are for mobile, and we have so many users with old devices and with 1gb ram, let met test how can look right now. Thank you very much for reply and support, i was spend so many hours in this issue trying to find a solution.

8. IndieFist

IndieFist

Ok, so we are switching to linea color space and old devices like Galaxy S3 looks like the picture attached.
    Isnt working.
    How can we check how many old devices we have in unity analytics? because "Markes Insights" Are data for all games using unity really?
    Or where can i see what devices are using opengl2 only in his graphics?

Attached Files:

9. IndieFist

IndieFist

Any news about this issue?
    We cannot work with urp + blend probes.

Attached Files:

10. Pema-Malling

Pema-Malling

Unity Technologies

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  11. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Unity has been battling with issues with lightprobes gamma and linear spaces ever since Unity 4.x. Once they fix it somewhere, they soon break it again in every newer thing they make.

Just give up on it ever making sense and try to work around it.