Search Unity

Mesh Modifiers

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by SpookyCat, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Toad

Toad

This looks great! Another fantastic bit of user-created Unity functionality.

2. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

3. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Loving this system. Glad to hear that it will be available for the Asset Store.

4. nekokiller

nekokiller

When can I get this mesh modifier system from Unity Asset Store ?

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  5. macspeedee

macspeedee

It is on the Asset store now and the price has been reduced by $50 :)

6. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Yes its in the store now, there have been some updates to it since initial release and a new example scene

7. samim

samim

I'm curios to know if the Mega-Fires pack can be used to create interactive Softbodies (which react to physics optimally). Currently i'm using Unity's cloth physics which works nicely but has its quirks (un-skinning on high speed impact...). Looking through the thread here i can't really tell if it would be possible, any feedback would be great!

8. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Hi There
    Actually I was thinking about having a go at adding a version of the Flex system that is in 3ds max which does a pusedo soft body thing, problem would come for how one would interact with it and do the collision handling etc. So the answer is currently no this system wouldnt be of much help as a replacement for a soft body system.

As a side note I have just extended the system to allow for proper use as a mesh editing tool in the Unity editor as opposed to a purely runtime system, so now could be useful for twisting and bending trees or adding a small bit of noise to meshes or ripples to a water plane. Anyway quick video below.
    Chris

9. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Awesome! Are these updates already on the asset store?

10. iisjreg

iisjreg

awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome

Want! But just assessing exactly when I really need it...

Good work!

11. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Added moprh modifier to the system.

12. makan

makan

This looks really cool!

13. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Added a new modifier to the system, Path Deform.

14. c-Row

c-Row

Can the path be changed on runtime or is it fixed once the scene starts playing?

15. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

It can be changed at run time along with any param on any of the modifiers.
    Chris

16. Zeronine

Zeronine

Strong contender for asset of the year!

17. p6r

p6r

I agree with Zeronine : best asset of the... CENTURY !!! (Why only the year ???) :)

6R

18. yomo710

yomo710

Can I have it or free lol

19. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Not fair, I cant save up fast enough to get this, got so many ideas.

20. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Just a quick note to say a new version as been added to the store which now supports colliders. Also added more information and documentation Here
    Chris

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  21. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

The system now has an exporter for 3ds Max and Blender to make getting Morph or Shape Key information into MegaFiers a very simple process, a video of the Max process can be see below.
    Chris
    [video=youtube;16h203Ct6Yk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16h203Ct6Yk

22. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Coming soon

23. hackdan

hackdan

Hi SpokyCat!,
    can i apply the ripple effect, just in one piece of the mesh ?.
    I am working in a multitouch app and i need know if mega-fiers is able to does some like this:
    http://wonderfl.net/c/9R8a/read
    and support multi gizmos on his stack, thanks cheers!

24. Ali-Nagori

Ali-Nagori

Hello spookycat

your add-on is really promising , and I'd seen the morph modifier's demonstration
    but to let it match my needs i have to know before i buy some things , i have a separate head rigged with other body parts , will your morph modifier will support the mesh deformation (with other targets ) while it still rigged , and given me the power to deform it in run time , and how much it will costs to the memory , that if the targets are only loaded upon the deformation request or it is already in the memory , and if it's in the memory and i have a ton of targets can i swap the morphing targets (*.obj files) during the runtime

please reply and feed me back in this section , because it's the only mesh deformation requirement in my project

sorry for for me being such harsh.

thanks

25. edhardyboy

edhardyboy

Hi PookyCat,
    i saw your terrain tool on youtube, anyway you would be able to sell me a completed terrain of a certain map (i could specify the location)?
    since I don't have your tool i was wondering if you could use it to make the terrain and sell the export file?

Warmest Regards Sir
    RN

26. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Hi There
    Email me the location etc and approx mesh density and I will see what I can do :) Email chris@west-racing.com
    Chris

27. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Ooops missed some replies here, sorry about that.
    @hackdan Yes with the vertex selection modifiers you can weight areas for other modifiers to effect, or if you need something more specific then let me know and I will tailor the modifier to your needs.

@AAKN Yes the modifiers work with skinned meshes as well so you can apply any deformation to a rigged skinned and boned character and change those at runtime. As for the morphs the memory use is optimized so only modified vertices have data stored.

28. edhardyboy

edhardyboy

Thank you so much Chris. I emailed you about the terrain :D

29. eastes

eastes

Could this be used to show damage to a car? Like bash in the back bumper or collapse the roof?

30. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

It totally can be and is being used by many developers for just that, the system has expanded greatly to over 40 modifiers as well as a very advanced morphing system and a full point cache system, and comes with a basic version of MegaShapes which is a spline system with options to follow those splines or turn them into meshes. For car damage most people seem to make use of either the morph system where they can define many different types of damage and mix between them based on where the damage happens and how much damge, or use the FFD if they really want to do realtime damage. The actual release thread for the system can be found at http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/89750-Mega-Fiers.-A-mesh-deformation-system-RELEASE?goto=newpost and the website is at http://www.west-racing.com/mf

31. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Just to update this thread with the latest additions to the MegaFiers system you can look through the Tutorial Playlist on Youtube at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL84A5301D86EF8CAE&feature=view_all or the full playlist of all the MegaFier related videos at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAAEB1144504EED4A&feature=view_all
    There are also a couple of webplayer demos up one of a play room which has various modifiers running in the scene and the other is of the Tutorial scene of the planes flying around, click the images below to see those. Also below are some videos of some new features to the system.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  32. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Another update to this thread to show the new features added to the system since the last post along with links to the newest demos.

SteamPunk Demo Scene
    We did a new little demo scene showing Mad Professor MacSpeedees lab where he experiments on poor unsuspecting meshes. The video shows a fly around of the lab and below the video if you click the link you can try the webplayer demo, it does use a few image effects so could be slow on lower end hardware.

Video

Webplayer Demo
    Please click the image to start the demo.

Dynamic Hose System
    A dynamic hose system was also added which allows you to easily connect game objects with a realtime deforming hose, ideal for robots, hydraulic hoses etc, the first video shows the little demo scene that shows the system off, the second shows the scene being built. Ignore the Shapes logo the system has been added to both MegaFiers and MegaShapes

Tracked Vehicles
    Also added was a very fast tracked vehicle system or can be used for conveyor belts. The system is included in both MegaFiers and MegaShapes

Wrapping System

Another usefulk addition has been the wrapping system, this allows you to wrap one mesh onto another so as the base mesh deforms the wrapped mesh will deform along with it, this can be used for adding clothing to morphing avatars etc or having clothing bulge with muscles.

33. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Continuing on from the last post.

Daz3D Morphs
    Daz3D is a great tool for creating characters and especially morphing characters so we did a little demo to show how MegaFiers can be used with Daz to not only import morphing characters but also have their clothing deform as well. Below is a video of the demo and also a webplayer demo, again the demo uses image effects so can be slow.

Video

Webplayer Demo

ZBrush Blendshapes
    And finally we did some work with ZBrush blendshapes so allowing you to use the great blendshape outputs of that great tool in Unity.

Promo Video

Quick little promo video we did for a Unity user group meeting where we gave away MegaFier licenses.

There have been dozens of other new modifiers and extras added to the system as well and you can find out more on those at our website

MegaShapes Demo
    And finally a little demo and video we did for our other product MegaShapes as it is quite fun.

Video

Webplayer
    You can toggle all the image effects etc in this demo if you have a slower machine.

34. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

hi quick question i was just wandering if megafiers has everything mega shapes has in it

35. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

The version of MegaShapes that comes with MegaFiers has the basic spline system and meshing options for splines along with the dynamic hose and tracked vehicle systems. It does not come with the lofting system, the Lathing system or the rope and chain system.

36. Orr10c

Orr10c

It's a few years since last update but I gotta ask something :D

Would it be possible to animate wind effect on low poly trees? I need this kind of effect to my low poly game but the models are not mine and there isn't a real way to separate the trunk vertices from the leaves vertices so this is a problem :/

If anybody knows has a solution for this it would be awesome! If not I might just buy the kit.

37. Orr10c

Orr10c

It's been a few years since last update but I gotta ask something :D

Would it be possible to animate wind effect on low poly trees? I need this kind of effect to my low poly game but the models are not mine and there isn't a real way to separate the trunk vertices from the leaves vertices so this is a problem :/

If anybody has a good solution that would be great! Of not o might just buy the kit :)

38. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Been a few years since this thread was updated but the other threads and the asset are often updated :) We did add a while back a 'waving' modifier for a client who wanted to animate underwater plants and that has since been used to animate trees as well. It was also used to animate the trees in the 3rd video.

MikeUpchat likes this.