Search Unity

► Mesh Materializer ◄

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Arkhivrag, Jan 27, 2015.

1. thelittlegamefactory

thelittlegamefactory

@gurayg Thank you for the video!

And sorry my question was not clear:
    Is it possible to export terrain splat maps and blend 2-8 textures with Mesh Materializer?
    If not, i have to/will buy the Terrain to Mesh tool.

Thank you!

2. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Terrain converter is already in Mesh Materializer.
    Several new features that I added to Terrain To Mesh asset are not part of Mesh Materializer, like OBJ and splatmap exporter.
    But all of them will be added to Mesh Materailizer in the next update, including terrain shaders.
    Update will be available in several days, currently working on it.

VacuumShaders - Facebook Twitter YouTube

3. thelittlegamefactory

thelittlegamefactory

Thank you very much!

4. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

GAIASCREENSHOT01 copy.jpg
    I thought I would post a screen shot of my use of Mesh Materializer and the defaults of Gaia.

bml and Arkhivrag like this.
  5. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Can you share more terrain images?

6. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Sure. Here are some more shots of the same area at different view points and a couple of different times during the day. I still want to do more with my water.

GaiaView02.jpg GaiaView03.jpg GaiaView04.jpg

bml and Arkhivrag like this.
  7. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

8. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

thelittlegamefactory and hopeful like this.
  9. Falagard

Falagard

Sound great, thanks Ark.

So the lightmap to vertex color works with Unity 5's lightmapping? That's awesome!

This probably sounds crazy but:

I was wondering if instead of using the lightmap if it would be possible (in the future) to bake dynamic lights out to a mesh using simple N dot L lighting (with attenuation) for point lights and directional lights. This could ignore shadows initially, since I think most use cases is something like this:

A medium sized outdoor scene using terrain, at night, with point lights scattered around for some extra lighting details. In my case I have a directional light which casts realtime shadows, but the point lights are the real problem since they each add an extra pass to nearby geometry. However, Unity's lightmapper takes forever for outdoor scenes, so baking this to a lightmap to later allow MeshMaterializer to bake the lighting, while possible, is troublesome.

I'm hoping for something like this: Select all the meshes that need to be baked, select a tag or layer for which lights to use, and then bake them out as individual meshes. You could take the scene ambient, plus per light do standard N dot L lighting pass and add color to vertex.

For indoor scenes, lightmapping will be no problem and your baking solution is going to be awesome to use, thanks!

Here's a question - would it be possible for Mesh Materializer to either a) color the vertices of only a submesh of the original mesh, or b) save only a submesh out to a separate object?

I have a situation where I'd like to color the leaves of a tree separate from the trunk / branches of the tree, and the original mesh has two submeshes, one for the leaves (with an alpha material applied) and one for the trunk. I've manually broken the mesh into two separate meshes in a 3d modelling program but I have several meshes that require the same treatment.

Thanks,
    Clay

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  10. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Will add to the "wish list"

It's not possible for Mesh Materializer, but may be done for Color Adjustments (modify vertex colors only for specified submesh). Will add this to the "wish list" too.

reese01 likes this.
  11. Falagard

Falagard

Thanks!

12. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

13. hopeful

hopeful

14. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Update v1.4 released

• Rewritten runt-time API (not compatible with previous versions)
    • Added new ambient occlusion solver - Occlusion Render (requires RenderTextures support). Solver can interact with scene gameobjects for better ambient occlusion generating.
    • Old ambient occlusion solver - Raycast - has results smooth option.
    • Added terrain maps exporter (splatmaps, basemap and heightmap).
    • Added T2M (terrain to mesh) shaders.
    • Added T2M material generation option.
    • Added Lightmap baking tool (Unity 5.2 and above)
    • Indirect lighting can be generated from scene's active skybox (requires RenderTextures support)
    • Added property drawer for run-time scripts (support undo/redo)
    • New substance importer (for Unity 5.2 and above)
    • Updated texture blurring tool. Now it is GPU accelerated (requires RenderTextures support).

• Faceted uv layout exporter renamed to Vertex Color Exporter
    • Added antialiasing option
    • Last saved texture can be opened from context menu

• Color adjustments support separate channels invertor
    • Added alpha channel invert option

• Vertex color shaders can use Lightmaps and Image based lighting together

Editor changes
    • Mesh main texture, mesh second texture, mesh tint color and mesh vertex color now are combined into one Mesh Texture & Color tab.
    • Unity ambient tab is removed
    • Image based lighting tab replaced with new Indirect Lighting tab
    • Combine mesh checkbox moved to Mesh Info tab
    • Generated meshes are saved inside Assets/(Temporary) folder (used by all VacuumShaders tools).
    • Instantiated prefab can be removed by Undo (Ctrl + Z)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  15. Duffer123

Duffer123

Is there anything with this Asset that helps with creating skinned meshes so taking say some clothing and making it a skinned mesh for a human model?

16. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

you can not convert cloth to skin.

17. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

In Unity 5.3 is a little bug with lightmaps.
    Reference to the lightmap texture asset may be lost instantly after building scene lightmaps and baking it to vertex color will fail.
    Just restart Unity. References will be restored and lightmap baking will work.

18. AwesomeX

AwesomeX

This looks really neat, even better then PolyWorld.

I'm wondering if it'd be possible to get a trial version of this before I purchase it. I'm not certain this would work for the kind of game I'm making. If not, can you say if you have any plans of a sale for this?

19. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

There is no trial version.
    It is submitted for sale, but it's up to Unity when to put it on sale, may be next month or or next year.

20. christougher

christougher

I've tried to download/update mesh materializer like 6-7 times but is keeps showing as version 1.36. The asset store keeps showing the option to download an update. I've deleted the asset from my project folder and rebuilt my library. I've tried this with both Unity version 5.1.4 and 5.3.1. I've even deleted the asset package from the asset store download folder... never seen this problem before.

Edit. Thx, that might have done it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  21. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Try cleaning asset store cache:
    PC - C:\Users\[Your Profile Name]\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store
    MAC - "~/Library/Unity/Asset\ Store".

22. cj31387

cj31387

Can you bake a lightmap or pre-compute gi for Terrain to Mesh? Every time i try it freezes on baking the map, i turn the mesh off static and everything else bakes but not the terrain if the terrain is static.

23. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

After converting terrain to mesh, it becomes standard mesh and you can bake lightmap and GI similar as other meshes.
    In Mesh Materializer it is even possible to bake lightmap into vertex color of converted mesh.

24. cj31387

cj31387

Yah can you look into it, i think it is bugged. It doesn't bake, it keeps trying to finish baking I've let it sit for about an hour and it wont bake Terrains to Mesh. I've tried small terrains too. I have a i7 and gtx 780, set pre-compute to unlimited cpu it just wont bake. It stops at 5/11 clustering | 1 job

EDIT: My bad i just needed more chunks.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  25. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

It seems Unity Engine bug not Mesh Materializer.

26. Uli_Okm

Uli_Okm

Hi, @Arkhivrag just saw this asset and i'm reaaaally impressed.
    Just some questions before actually buying it:
    - The color adjustments can be done in runtime? (like lerping the object hue) Is this a expensive operation?
    - Can i control in some way the intensity of the polygonal convertion? Like making the object more or less polygonal?
    Thanks!

27. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

-Yes, color adjustments can be used run-time. May be expensive(like all CPU calculations) if are used for big amount
    -No, after conversion mesh is faceted (polygon) or remains original.

28. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

What would happen if I have two meshes overlapping and used the Mesh Combine feature? e.g. I have Building 1 which is a house, and building 2 which is a tower. And I placed the tower so that it's top is poking out of the roof of the house...would Mesh Combine make one new mesh which is a combination of the house and the tower? And if so would the new mesh be ok to apply a texture and a mesh collider?

29. cj31387

cj31387

Buy this its awesome. One of my most used assets.

Arkhivrag likes this.
  30. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Yes, after combine you will have one mesh file. Mesh collider also can be used with it (concave colliders have vertex count limit by Unity).
    Textures also can be used, uv coordinates will remain the same, but you can not use two materials - one for house and another for tower. One combined mesh one material.

31. zhuchun

zhuchun

Hi, is this asset a shader or a tool can generate LOD meshes/textures? What if I wanna use it with other shaders(like dissolve,bloom etc) , are they compatible? Thanks.

32. djgriff

djgriff

Hi there,
    Just getting to grips with Mesh materialiser and created a simple terrain and added a 3rd person capsule controller and noticed that the capsule falls through the mesh at certain points on the converted terrain to mesh.
    I am guessing there is hole is the mesh.. if it is how do i make sure there is no holes appearing?

Thanks

33. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

It is neither shader nor tool for generating LOD meshes.
    Check example videos that make it clear what tools are include and what they can do.

34. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

If it's MeshCollider then you definitely must see whether that mesh has holes or not.
    Converted terrain mesh itself has no 'split' vertices.

35. djgriff

djgriff

Thanks for the reply. Yes i have applied a mesh collider to the exported Materilsed terrain to mesh.. Should a convert the terrain with different values?

What is the best way to check for holes?

Thanks

36. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Just place mesh used by Collider into the scene and visually observe it.
    Do you see any holes? If no - then I can't help.

37. Jiraiyah

Jiraiyah

Hi
    I just bought this asset last night and played with it today for few minutes, the part that i was really interested in was the terrain to mesh conversion, so far i am pleased with the result, how ever, can i ask for two features being added to the system?

1- when i look into the project view, apart from the prefab, i see bunch of asset files being generated for the terrain, although it's a very professional and good approach, but it lacks a really simple feature, a check mark in the editor window to export .obj files at the same time, that would let us open the terrain files in another 3d application like 3dmax or maya and tweak the terrain to have a cliff over hang or a small cave for example. and then reimport it back to unity to use the modified version
    2- this feature comes in when you add the fist one, the ability to replace the asset file that the script generated with this new modified one we re import after tweaking so that the prefab could still work.

I think if you add these two features, then we can pretty much close our eyes on the glaring problems regarding unity's built in terrain system from now on :D

thanks for the great asset by the way.

38. gurayg

gurayg

Hello @Arkhivrag

-I can see AO when I save it to RGB channels. How can I see the AO that is saved to Alpha? I tried few shaders but couldn't see it. Do I need to change the shader?
    -In AO activating "Use Smooth" adds a lot of (3sec vs. minutes) processing time (tried radius 1 and 0.01) is that normal?
    Mesh is generated in Editor and not saved as an asset file. Your examples have no such problem.
    -Is there a way to control how AO,Inderect Lighting,LM... added together? like controlling each ones weight to resulting Vcolor?
    -Is it possible to get the source for runtime part of the asset?

Thanks.

39. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

I wanted to add obj exporter to Mesh Materializer and found that there already are several free obj file exporters on Asset Store, so it will be just time wasting from my side working on it.

40. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

- Use shader that visualize alpha. Saving AO inside alpha channel may be helpful in custom shaders.
    - Low amount of ray count may produce 'artifacts' if mesh has split vertices. Smooth option fixes it, yes it may be slow.

- All baked features (textures, lm, ao, indirect lighting) are mixed by shader similar function and it is not controllable, but some of their weight may be controlled by their own variables, like Shadow Color for AO and Intensity for LM.
    - Scripts are packed in dll.

41. Jiraiyah

Jiraiyah

The thing is not exporting, lets say i used one of those free solutions and was able to export the obj file, but when i take it back to unity, and i would want to fit it into your asset bundle solution to replace the one that is generated by your script, then i would need to sit and dive to your code to see how you did it and then reinvent the wheel. that is why i thought you would be the best man to do it yourself, specially when i saw that you didn't include the source into the package, meaning that you prefer to keep in closed source (Although both of use know how to look into it, but i tend to respect the choice of developers when they keep things closed source)
    But if you don't want to put time into this, I would be glad to help if you want to.
    thanks for the asset anyway. It's a great asset to have and work with.

42. l3mon

l3mon

Hey Arkhivrag,

Nice tool so far, currently only using it for terrain to mesh conversion.
    Either I'm misunderstanding or not using the tool correctly concerning tree export. In the mesh to terrain asset, one of the screenshots says "Export terrain trees".

My understanding is, that I can use the tree paint feature and would have expected those trees to show up on the terrain mesh (either as part of it or as separate mesh).
    However, the trees seem to be gone.

Wrong understanding or wrong usage? How to go ahead?

43. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Added to wish list.

Tree exporter will be added to Mesh Materializer next week. I can not update package while on Madness Sale.

44. Arganth

Arganth

how does this look on speedtrees? especially when they move in the wind? anybody tested it?

45. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

mesh-materializer-speedtree.png
    Baked texture and AO.
    Wind doesn't work, it requires SpeedTree shader modification that I have not done yet.

hopeful likes this.
  46. djgriff

djgriff

Hey does this have a LOD system for the generated terrains?

if not - is this something you will consider adding in future updates?

Cheers

47. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

There is no LOD system, but for terrain you just can manually generate several meshes with desired vertex count.

48. djgriff

djgriff

Good call,

Thanks

49. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

ibyte likes this.
  50. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

cool. Hope it handles the bilboard too.

ibyte likes this.