Search Unity

► Mesh Materializer ◄

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Arkhivrag, Jan 27, 2015.

1. freakdave

freakdave

@b4c5p4c3 I have exactly the same problem, i thought it would work like in Polyworld where it:

1. converts the parent + children (mesh renderer + skinned mesh renderer)
    2. does not need a 0,0,0 position (else you will get an offset)
    3. creates a ready to use prefab

I hope the author will look into it, the rest works as advertised.
    Also it would be nice if it auto-created a new material with Vacuum Shader already applied :)

twobob likes this.
  2. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Help comes :)

Actually Mesh Materializer tells what type of mesh will be converted.
    Convertion mesh type info is displayed under object filed.
    "Generating Mesh" means that mesh is baked by currently selected gameobject and only one mesh asset will be generated.
    If you want to convert several meshes as single one (like turret ), than you should put them all - into empty game object
    as in this example video:

For skinned mesh conversion - SkinnedMeshRenderer should be put inside Mesh Materializer object filed.

VacuumShaders - Facebook Twitter YouTube

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  3. OnePxl

OnePxl

It's still in beta, so I'm sure these points will be considered.

4. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Conversion info:
    Simple Mesh - (info Generating Mesh) - Put gameobject with MeshRenderer inside object filed.
    Multiple Mesh conversion - (info Generating Combined Mesh) - Parent all objects into empty gameobject and that empty "parent" put inside object field.
    SkinnedMesh conversion - (info Generating Skinned Mesh) - Put gameobject with SkinnedMeshRenderer inside object filed.
    Terrain conversion - (info Generating Terrain) - Put gameobject with Terrain inside object filed.

if none of these is done info box will contain - Invalid Renderer.

EDIT
    Same written inside ReadMe file (page 3 "Asset Section")

EDIT
    I have just noticed additional one conversion type requirement, that I will have to add: multiple mesh conversion without combing.

5. twobob

twobob

^ this pretty much, I have dug through the PolyWorld prefab code before, it's totally simple.
    (No, disrespect to QT, simple is better)

@Arkhivrag Question:

Why not just use: the Unity Selection Class

using System;
    using UnityEngine;

namespace UnityEditor
    {
    public sealed class Selection
    {
    public Selection();

public static GameObject activeGameObject { get; set; }
    public static int activeInstanceID { get; set; }
    public static UnityEngine.Object activeObject { get; set; }
    public static Transform activeTransform { get; set; }
    public static string[] assetGUIDs { get; }
    public static GameObject[] gameObjects { get; }
    public static int[] instanceIDs { get; set; }
    public static UnityEngine.Object[] objects { get; set; }
    public static Transform[] transforms { get; }

public static bool Contains(int instanceID);
    //
    public static bool Contains(UnityEngine.Object obj);
    //
    public static UnityEngine.Object[] GetFiltered(Type type, SelectionMode mode);
    //
    [WrapperlessIcall]
    public static Transform[] GetTransforms(SelectionMode mode);
    }
    }

It's "for the job" and would be pretty much "logic-free" other than checking types I think.

Cheers :)

As usual, since you insist on releasing through DLL's, I can provide no code help.
    Here's hoping.

6. freakdave

freakdave

Is it somehow possible to NOT combine the child meshes (keep the submeshes)?
    I made sure to uncheck the "Force One Submesh" checkbox, but it still combines it into 1 final mesh.
    It is quite tedious to convert every submesh / child of gameobject separately just to keep them separate.

Original gameobject
    Screenshot 2015-02-26 17.47.37.png

Convert
    Screenshot 2015-02-26 17.48.11.png

Results in 1 combined mesh (but would like to have it separate like in original gameobject)
    Screenshot 2015-02-26 17.50.25.png

7. b4c5p4c3

b4c5p4c3

I tried that too, i create an empy gameobject and added the turret as child of this object. I get this exception.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    VacuumShaders.MeshMaterializer.MMGenerator.MaterializeMeshGroup (UnityEngine.Transform _parent, VacuumShaders.MeshMaterializer.MM_INFO& _info, VacuumShaders.MeshMaterializer.ProgressFunction _callBack, VacuumShaders.MeshMaterializer.MMData[] _data)
    VacuumShaders.MeshMaterializer.MMEditorWindow.Generate ()
    VacuumShaders.MeshMaterializer.MMEditorWindow.Draw_GenerateButtons ()
    VacuumShaders.MeshMaterializer.MMEditorWindow.OnGUI ()
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

With the pharao character i got the SkinnedMeshRenderer converted but it's always white. I created a new material, assigned Unlit->Opaque Shader. Selected Main texture checkbox and click Generate but still remains white.

8. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

@freakdave
    I will add that feature in the coming update (multiple mesh conversion without combing)

Force One Submesh - effects only materials. If it is checked mesh will have only submesh (one material inside renderer, one draw call)

Can you sent my turret and pharao meshes? I will check them.

freakdave likes this.
  9. freakdave

freakdave

Thank you!

10. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Could you show a video using the Mesh Optimizer. I'd like to see some before and after results.

11. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Sorry no video; With built-in optimizer you can remove some of buffers from mesh and it will decrease file size (and memory used by mesh);
    optimizer.png
    Total saving displays how much bytes you will save;

It does not effect vertex or triangles count;

12. freakdave

freakdave

Would it be possible to give us more control over how the textures are sampled (Main Texture), e.g. a field with floating point coordinates ?
    Oh, and i saw that there is no "Flat 2" texture sampling option.

13. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Texture and it's uv is taken from material, that is attached to mesh. You can control texture tiling and offset from material.

If mesh conversion type is Original, then there is no texture sampling type. Texture is directly baked to vertex by it's own uv.
    If mesh conversion type is Flat, then four(4) type of texture sampling are available.

14. freakdave

freakdave

I understand, my question is if it would be possible to "modify" the type of texture sampling (if conversion type is Flat), let us create our own presets.

15. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

What you mean by "create our own preset"? I can not guess.
    With flat conversion there is one smooth and three flat texture sampling types.

16. gurayg

gurayg

Hello Arkhivrag,

I'm not looking for a flat look but want to use MM to help me generate LOD models with baked data at runtime.
    Since MM and the optimizer runs at runtime. It would be possible to generate LOD's using some other way and use MM's optimizer and bakers to generate a far distance LOD for a model. Am I right?

It's mentioned MM beta is for Unity 4. Which Unity 5 features you'll likely be supporting?
    Do you think blendshapes may come back later on the road?

17. b4c5p4c3

b4c5p4c3

Sadly i think i'm not allowed to do this :(

18. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

With built-in optimizer you can remove some of buffers from mesh and it will decrease file size (and memory used by mesh);

Total saving displays how much bytes you will save;
    It does not effect vertex or triangles count;

All Unity 4 features that MM uses will be available inside U5;

Currently I have no access to blend shapes, there is no API inside U4, if U5 will have such API then I will add blend shapes too.

19. freakdave

freakdave

Never mind ->

20. twobob

twobob

Code (csharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. VacuumShaders.MeshMaterializer.MMGenerator.‮‮‎‬‫‪‬‪‏‫‏‏‬‮‌‫‮‍‍‪‏‮ (UnityEngine.Mesh )
    3. VacuumShaders.MeshMaterializer.MMGenerator.‪‍‌‪‬‮‮‌‌‭‏‪‪‬‪‫‏‮‍‬‬‮‎‮‬‬‭‮ (UnityEngine.Mesh& )
    4. VacuumShaders.MeshMaterializer.MMGenerator.MaterializeMesh (UnityEngine.Renderer _renderer, VacuumShaders.MeshMaterializer.MM_INFO& _info, VacuumShaders.MeshMaterializer.ProgressFunction _callBack, VacuumShaders.MeshMaterializer.MMData[] _data)
    5. VacuumShaders.MeshMaterializer.MMEditorWindow.Generate ()
    6. VacuumShaders.MeshMaterializer.MMEditorWindow.Draw_GenerateButtons ()
    I tried converting a prefab that contained a mesh. It was from the Polyworld set. I was going to add AO on the rgb channel. Pressed convert:
    hung.JPG
    I now can't get rid of that popup. Defensive ERROR HANDLING at all? gah. :(
    at least make pressing ESCAPE cancel the current operation... :\

EDIT: Also noted just previous:

Code (csharp):
    2. Can't add component 'MeshCollider' to Tree_BambooC because the game object is a generated prefab and can only be modified through an AssetPostprocessor.
    3. UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent()
    4. VacuumShaders.MeshMaterializer.MMGenerator:‮‮‎‬‫‪‬‪‏‫‏‏‬‮‌‫‮‍‍‪‏‮(Mesh)
    5. VacuumShaders.MeshMaterializer.MMGenerator:‪‍‌‪‬‮‮‌‌‭‏‪‪‬‪‫‏‮‍‬‬‮‎‮‬‬‭‮(Mesh&)
    6. VacuumShaders.MeshMaterializer.MMGenerator:MaterializeMesh(Renderer, MM_INFO&, ProgressFunction, MMData[])
    7. VacuumShaders.MeshMaterializer.MMEditorWindow:Generate()
    8. VacuumShaders.MeshMaterializer.MMEditorWindow:Draw_GenerateButtons()
    9. VacuumShaders.MeshMaterializer.MMEditorWindow:OnGUI()
    Which could be the edge-case. Will try it non-prefab.

EDIT EDIT: Confirmed. This will work on a regular GameObject. Not a disk based prefab.
    I will go check that is in the readme again.

:) But seriously. Add some defensive stuff. Like "NO, THAT IS A DISK BASED PREFAB", or make a temp gameObject, or anything. Please don't make me close the editor! (BTW for anyone who does get stuck with that popup "up" after a fail; completing a successful conversion will cause it to close without restarting the editor)

Still loving the tool!

:D

21. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Thanks guys for your feedback, everything will be taken into consideration for upcoming update, including multimesh conversion and automatic placing of generated meshes to the scene with all required hierarchy data and materials,
    + no generation types, MM will convert all type off meshes regardless their hierarchy.
    This is my first editor extension asset and I made it "easy" as I saw it myself, but it's not for me - it's for selling.

@twobob
    Terrain convesion with multi chunk control is already ready and will be included in update.

It's 2:15AM here and I have to go. Thanks for purchasing Mesh Materializer.

twobob likes this.
  22. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Just purchased. I look forward to playing around with it in the next week or so.

twobob likes this.
  23. twobob

twobob

Typo

Should be "Displace" dispalce.JPG (It made it into the ReadMe on Page 11 too)

Should be "CubeMap" cubmap.JPG

in ReadMe.Pdf Page 3 and Page 4

Mesh Materializer is accesable from menu
    should be
    "Mesh Materializer is accessible from menu"
    On Page 5 you don't say

"MESH/(MODEL) MUST BE READABLE TO PROCESS" (which you do say about everything else)
    To Prevent Mesh_Is_Not_Readable errors.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    Arkhivrag likes this.
  24. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Doing everything to make new update (v0.91 beta) available for Monday. Many new improvements and bug fixes.

freakdave, twobob and OnePxl like this.
  25. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

FYI - not a big deal, but you can't atlas Substances.

26. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

27. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Update v0.91 beta released

• Added multi-mesh conversion.
    • Added hierarchy conversion.
    • Removed generation type restriction, any mesh with any hierarchy with any amount of meshes can be converted.
    • After conversion Mesh Materializer will create ready prefab, with proper meshes and materials, and spawns it into the scene.
    • Source object can be hidden after conversion.
    • All generated meshes (and prefabs with materials) will be saved in its own folders.
    • New multi-chunk terrain conversion. Instead of converting terrain into one mesh, it can be divided into N amount of chunks with maximum 65,000 vertex each.
    • Mesh combining is optional. It will be available if conversion group consists only of MeshFilters.
    • Combined meshes can be at any position (0,0,0 position not required).
    • Force One Submesh -> renamed Force One SubMaterial.
    • New Mesh Info tab displays vertex/triangle info of all meshes participating in conversion.
    MM editor window data will not be lost on close.
    • To reset editor window use ContextMenu/Reset.
    MM editor window will prepare all textures and meshes for conversion: make them readable and generate mipmaps if required.
    • New build report displays full and detail info about conversion.
    • 10K line of bugs has been fixed!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    twobob, freakdave and OnePxl like this.
  28. freakdave

freakdave

Awesome! Great update, thanks a lot!
    First tests seem very promising so far :)

29. nasos_333

nasos_333

Nice asset

What are the major perks comparing to Polyworld ? (besides the price)

30. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

I can speak only about Mesh Materializer, do not have Polyworld.
    Beside mesh flattening you can bake additional data to vertex color (Textures and Tint color, Image Based Lighting, Ambient Occlusion, Displace info, Lightmaps), optimize resultant mesh by removing unused buffers (uv, uv2, normal, tangent, skin). Built-in mesh combiner.
    Mesh Materializer has fastest Terrain converter with multi chunk support.
    Terrain mesh count is controllable and you can generate LODs for it.
    Mesh Materializer works in Editor and Runtime(build).

Road.png

twobob likes this.
  31. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks for the detailed heads up. The system is amazing and at great price.

twobob likes this.
  32. gurayg

gurayg

I'm planning a standalone utility to pre-process my models and I'd like to incorporate MM for one of its steps.I want to use its abilities to bake data to vertex channels + optimization + LODs (if you add this for all mesh types) After that I'll be importing the resulting file to my main project.
    I was wondering, Are there any advantages or disadvantages of using an asset file(I think MM generates those) instead of exporting the file to a different file format. Does Unity play extra nicely with its native format?
    Thanks

33. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Generated resultant file is a simple mesh file (with .asset extension). Unity does not make difference between its native mesh and imported one. Advantage of Unity mesh is that you can modify it inside Unity (add/remove/change its data), which you can not do on imported meshes, you should change them in another 3D software.

twobob likes this.
  34. gurayg

gurayg

So, we can still use the import postprocessor or any other Unity feature on the generated file either it is a skinned or normal mesh.

That's wonderful :)

twobob likes this.
  35. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Yes. But take note it is asset file and has not import settings like common 3d mesh files.

36. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Update v0.92 beta realesed
    • New Terrain conversion algorithm. Speed up 2x - 10x depend on vertex count ratio.

twobob likes this.
  37. NarkLord

NarkLord

Can you tell me how you created this scene? What shaders did you use? I like the style.

38. twobob

twobob

Are you serious? The shaders included in this package?

39. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Update v0.93 available.
    Yesterday I uploaded old package without new fast Terrain conversion algorithm. Now it is included.
    For terrain conversion is used two methods, first one is used if chunks count == 1 (this is fastest method) and second when chunks count > 1 (multi chunk conversion). Multi chunk conversion requires additional vertex calculation on chunk perimeter to make seamless connection to the neighbor chunks, after conversion these additional vertices are removed.
    Removing that vertices takes 95% of conversion time (simple loop but removing item from array is slow).

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    twobob likes this.
  40. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Update v0.94 beta released
    • No limit on vertex count when flattening mesh. If new mesh will have more then 65000 vertices, it will be just splitted.
    • Lightmap baking supports mipmaps and blur.
    • Improved progress bar, now it will update correctly and display current task progress. It will automatically close on conversion finish.
    • IBL, AO and displace can be baked on meshes without normals.
    • Fixed huge memory leak when textures with mipmaps or blur options were used.
    • Fixed huge memory leak with IBL calculation.
    • Fixed conversion bug when submeshes count was more than renderers shared materials count.
    • Fixed conversion bug when asset name contained unsupported characters.
    • Fixed losing prefab connection on Unity exit or renaming asset.
    • Added reflection option for vertex lit shaders.
    • Lots of other improvements and optimizations.

This is last update within beta (if there is no bug with hot fix requirements).
    Mesh Materializer
    v1.0 will be released with Unity 5 support.

twobob likes this.
  41. twobob

twobob

Can anything be done for multi-lists?
    This is just a 5x5 list but I would hope to be batching 33x33 swatches for web-serving eventually.
    Clearly that would take a long time "by-hand".
    TypicalTerrainList.JPG

Any chance of some very basic batching or list selection please?

42. twobob

twobob

Also. Quick error on export to report
    Code (csharp):
    2. Texture rectangle is out of bounds (256 + 1 > 256)
    3. UnityEngine.TerrainData:GetAlphamaps(Int32, Int32, Int32, Int32)
    4. VacuumShaders.MeshMaterializer.MMGenerator:‪‪‬‏‍‪‏‬‪‭‌‭‌‬‍‫‮‍‫‭‫‬‮()
    5. VacuumShaders.MeshMaterializer.MMGenerator:MaterializeTerrain(Terrain, MM_INFO[]&, String[]&, MMData[])
    6. VacuumShaders.MeshMaterializer.MMEditorWindow:Generate()
    7. VacuumShaders.MeshMaterializer.MMEditorWindow:Draw_GenerateButtons()
    8. VacuumShaders.MeshMaterializer.MMEditorWindow:OnGUI()
    9. UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()
    that's using 1 x 1 x 254 x 254 settings on one terrain

Still works okay, just really bright.

:Hmm Looks like it could be Unity Ambient doing that on U5p1 Win 7 64.
    nope not that. Trying more settings.

Another clue I keep getting a black edge around my rendered meshes...

Original

BlackEdge3.JPG

overlay
    blackEdge1.JPG

output

BlackEdge2.JPG

24x24 res:
    24x24.JPG

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  43. twobob

twobob

Hi To Be extra clear - this is a MESH not a terrain.

I just noticed that when I convert meshes at a higher resolution you are producing...
    2 meshes:
    unevenSubMeshSplitting.JPG
    Please can this be geometrically symmetric powers of two otherwise..... Well you know why ;)

Thanks mate.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  44. twobob

twobob

Final Point, The secondary Albedo blending does not offer the default _DetailMask layer - like the internal system uses.
    detailMAsk.JPG
    Is this planned for the U5 support?

Many thanks for your hard work.

45. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Update v0.95 released
    • Fixed terrain texture baking bug - "Texture rectangle out of bounds".
    • Fixed terrain texture baking bug - "Black edge"
    • Terrain multi-chunk conversion has name notation with _x[row]_y[column] suffix.
    • For mesh second texture baking added Decal and Detail blend types.

@twobob
    I think I have already added that feature you asked, you can manually set how much chunks terrain will have and in which format. If you want they will be divided in symmetric powers of two: 4x4, 16x16, 32x32 or non symmetric 2x7 or 6x13 or any dimension you want. Did I missed something?

twobob likes this.
  46. twobob

twobob

This was when a non-terrain chunk (so a mesh already made) exceeds the internal limit. It does that unhelpful chunking. I was actually passing a mesh through (that I already exported with something else) to get it "flat" styled.

Now you fixed the terrain exporter it shouldn't matter as I as only reduced to doing that given the terrain thingy not working! :D

Thanks very much.

I don't suppose there is any chance of a VERY simple "Do All These Lot" batch facility?
    I feel terrible asking since you are did such a great job :\

Thanks for this incredibly responsive update.

47. twobob

twobob

U5 p1. Just reporting what the update MAY spew :) YMMV

For some reason it may not in-place replace the DLL's and two end up being made.
    In both the "Editor" and "Scripts" folders

extraDLL.JPG extraDLLInScripts.JPG

This leads to subsequent whinging about code being wrong.

Simply go the the two folder and delete BOTH versions of the DLL's (so 4 files in total)

And reimport.

ShinyAndNew.JPG

This fixes this issue (and the whining about the errors) and you should be good to go.

Leaving us with just the much more reasonable:

Shader warning in 'VacuumShaders/Mesh Materializer/Opaque': Fixed function TexGen used; it doesn't do anything now at line 16

which can be ignored for now - may just be a compat issue - and will be likely picked up for the 1.0 release.

A whine about line endings

There are inconsistent line endings in the 'Assets/VacuumShaders/Mesh Materializer/Shaders/Opaque.shader' script. Some are Mac OS X (UNIX) and some are Windows.

which is something and nothing, if it annoys you open it in VS, save and close it again.

and a note about a thing being moved around (that did work as a replacement or -more likely- was duplicated)

The GUID for Assets/VacuumShaders/Mesh Materializer/Example Scenes/Palm Trees/Palm_VertexColor.mat is already in use by Assets/VacuumShaders/Mesh Materializer/Example Scenes/Files/VertexColor.mat. Assigning a new guid.

you should be golden.

And - for the record - all the authors I am working with at the moment are being affected by the new - more stringent - replacement strategies) so don't kick Arkhvrag too hard..

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  48. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Update v0.96 released
    • Fixed mesh second texture baking with detail blend type for flattened meshes.
    • Fixed inconsistent line endings in shaders.

twobob likes this.
  49. twobob

twobob

Update went perfectly. Many thanks.

*goes to export a zillion meshes :) *

EDIT: Okay so works great in 4.6 as well. Just tested. Terrain conversion is so fast. awesome.

Original:
    original.JPG

Original Conversion: (at 254x254 to give best possible resolution in one chunk)
    OriginalType.JPG

Flat 1 (at 105x105 to facilitate a single export)
    Flat1.JPG
    Flat 3 (at 105x105 to facilitate a single export)
    flat3.JPG
    Flat 4 (at 105x105 to facilitate a single export)
    flat4.JPG

I suppose I could write a simple script to feed my terrains into your little box thing...
    May look into that.

So happy with this right now.
    Nice one.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  50. twobob

twobob

reese01 likes this.