Search Unity

► Mesh Materializer ◄

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Arkhivrag, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Texture baking needs mesh with UV and material using texture (name defined inside MM texture baking tab). If material has no texture you are baking it will print warning inside console.

Texture will not be baked for meshes using material without texture.

Bake texture, adjust them using Color Adjustments and after that combine using again Mesh Materializer, but without baking anything except Vertex Color (check box inside Texture And Color baking tab).

Generate mesh asset and then try importing it inside your Unity version, if it works then it's good for you. I can't tell that.

VacuumShaders - Facebook Twitter YouTube

2. voncarp

voncarp

Hi

I have a number of your tools from the asset store. Is it possible to have smooth blending of multiple terrain meshes? For instance, I have 2 terrains that I run through mesh materializer. Terrain A and Terrain B. Terrain A blends perfectly with the Terrain A meshes. However, Terrain A meshes do not blend with Terrain B.

Suggestions?

3. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Added to a wishlist.

4. Yurei-Games

Yurei-Games

Hi,
    I think this is an amazing tool and it would save me a massive amount of time, except that it not working 100% and as such is now costing me time. I have watch and rewatched the tutorials to make sure I am not missing anything, I have deleted, redownloaded, reimported Mesh Materializer and I have reinstalled Unity completely, but alas I am still having problems with it.

Firstly let me start by asking if there is a specific sequence/workflow that is required to create and texture a terrain mesh, splatmap, basemap, heightmap and/or export the terrain to OBJ from a very large scene consisting of 625 procedurally generated 1000 x 1000 terrain tiles using MapMagic (with nothing else, just the terrain)?

I ask this because the first thing I tried when I encountered problems was various alternate workflows and after repeating each a dozen times I have only managed to create 1 viable heightmap which was not reproducible for reasons that escape me.

When I try to create a terrain mesh for the entire map/scene, I have tried using MapMagic as the source object so that all of its children terrain tiles are included in the mesh and it is almost perfect except there are always several terrain tiles which are generated as though they are empty/flat. This still occurs when I use completely different scenes, whether I use MapMagic as the source object or create and name an empty object and transfer the terrain tiles under it. It also makes no difference whether I regenerate the scene/map, whether I specifically remove those terrain tiles which are affected and then regenerate them.

I have also tried generating terrain meshes for just those terrain tiles which are affected, and independently they are perfect; however, I can't seem to combine these perfect meshes, with the remaining perfect meshes to get one whole perfect mesh.

Typically these errors in the mesh occur in a strip of up to 4 tiles. All in all its is a great product and 615 perfect tiles out of 625 is awesome accuracy, but an incomplete/erroneous/damaged product is unfortunately still incomplete/erroneous/damaged.

As for the everything else, it seems hit an miss sometimes it works others it doesn't and for some reason, with the exception of 1 time only where I got the whole scene/map for a heightmap which unfortunately didn't work as a heightmap when imported in to another tool, most of the time it appears I only get 1 terrain tile out of 625 in the heightmap.

I am sure it is something really obvious that I am doing or not doing which is causing the problems, but I can't figure it out.

thanks in advance for the help

Hajime

5. teresamadruga

teresamadruga

Hi, I am combining some meshes in my project with original look, just for optimization purposes. I just did it and got no texture, just everything the same color matching vertex color. Do you know how to solve this?

6. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Terrain To Mesh plugin included in MM works only with Unity terrain assets. Can not say anything about MapMagic (do not use it).
    Splatmaps, Basemap, Heighmap and OBJ file can be generated separately or together, no special sequence/workflow for that. If converting terrain into Unity mesh asset and need Splatmap or Basemap textured shader applied to the mesh, enable Create T2M Material inside MM editor window Export Terrain Textures tab
    Splatmaps and Basemap are generated from textures that are part of theh terrain asset, if you are using custom terrain shaders those texture baking will not work.
    Generated files can overwrite each other if they have same names (object name in Unity defines generated file's name). Make sure Terrain asset have unique name. That may be reason why some meshes appear being flat or not loaded after conversion.
    Also make sure that terrain assets inside editor have no 0 scale in transform, it does not effect terrain rendering but generated mesh inherit source scale and mesh with 0 scale on any axis may appear flat.

7. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Mesh Materializer combines meshes and generates new 1) mesh asset file, 2) material asset (with vertex color shader) 3) ready to use prefab with new mesh and material.

You will have white material for newly generated prefab because you are not baking any vertex colors.

Note:
    MM does not create texture atlas. It is supposed that you have baked all textures inside mesh as vertex color. And those meshes after combing will not need any texture rendering.

8. teresamadruga

teresamadruga

Thank for your the fast response. One more question: It does not combine nested objects... Does it?

9. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

It combines all meshes inside Source Object. Check Mesh Info tab to see how many meshes are there and if they can be combined.
    mesh_materializer.png

10. Yurei-Games

Yurei-Games

Hey again, thanks for the prompt reply.

Over the last couple of days I've been working to figure out the problem.

The problem was/is simply the number or terrains used for the whole scene/world and perhaps as a result the extremely large amount of data required. When I created a world of the same size using fewer terrain tiles, the mesh was created perfectly without any imperfections and a damn sight faster too. (I used 16 to 25 terrain tiles no problems).

I was still unable to create a heightmap for the whole scene, instead only producing a single tiles heightmap as before; however, when I then converted the 16 tiles in to 1 very large tile, everything worked without problem. This was probably my fault as I made the assumption that a heightmap could be created for a scene/world consisting of multiple terrain tiles if I could created and combine multiple meshes in to one mesh from the exact same scene/world. As it turns out, nope, heightmap for just one terrain tile.

Just to let you know, MapMagic uses the Unity Terrain Engine to procedurally general terrain, which is why I did not believe there would be a problem. As it turns out, compatibility between the two is no issue at all.

I was never using any custom terrain shaders so that was never an issue. I double checked all the terrains for scale and none of them had a 0 scale, plus all had unique names based on coordinates so those where not the issue either.

Anyway, thanks for the help, I couldn't have figured out the problem without your feedback.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  11. RamSteelwood

RamSteelwood

Hi,

I'm now trying to use the tool on multiple unity terrains (just a 2x2 grid). It all seems to work fine, except that i'm getting a weird striping effect in the resultant 'texture', along the edge of the additional terrains. Weirdly it still does that if i try to export them individually, not just doing them as a group from a parent object.
    I have used another tool to smooth the join between the terrains, but otherwise they're still just normal unity terrain afterwards, painted in the unity terrain tools. I've even tried repainting the terrain along one of the joins with a single terrain with 100% opacity/strength (rather than trying to mix and blend) and it still does the same.
    You can see the striping in the attached image - the clear line to the green area is the edge of the terrains, then there is the band of striping, then the rest of the terrain which is done as I expect.
    Is this something you've seen before or know what could be the cause?
    Thanks.
    terrainblur.jpg

12. RamSteelwood

RamSteelwood

Just to follow, I've checked and realised I get the same stripe effect on my original scene with just one terrain (I just never noticed as that bit of the terrain is under water).

13. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Please use vacuumshaders@gmail.com
    with included asset purchase invoice and more detail info:
    1. Unity version
    2. OS
    3. Build target
    4. Are there any other VacuumShaders assets in the project
    5. Does it happen only with multiple chunk conversion or with single 1x1 chunk too.
    6. Do terrain use custom shader or built-in terrain shader.

14. RamSteelwood

RamSteelwood

Thanks Arkhivrag.

15. ethanwgross

ethanwgross

hey man, do you have eta on when update will be live with the thickness baker included? (waiting so anxiously)

16. AndBje

AndBje

With the help of your examples I have been able to build a simple pipeline to adjust and prepare my meshes for production. Great tool! In the final step I want to add mesh compression (as I can do in the editor), but the MMData_Optimize seems only to handle what should be saved with the mesh, the Mesh Compression and GPU Optimize options are not there. I have tried to find them in other modules, but for the moment I have only found them in the editor. Am I missing something?

17. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

In the first weeks of February. Currently busy with Wireframe shader update.

Yes, they are available only inside editor.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  18. FloBeber

FloBeber

Hi guys,

I'm trying to convert assets to vertex colors with Mesh Materializer, but I always get full white colored objects no matter what settings I use. Can anybody here help?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

19. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

You are trying to bake texture from variable _MainTex, but material does not use any textures, only color.
    Select ► button on the right side of Color Name property inside Mesh Texture & Color group and choose color property name you want to bake.
    Also check console warnings, Mesh Materializer will give you more info about failed operations there.

20. FloBeber

FloBeber

@Arkhivrag I noticed the warning messages after I posted, and I tried to leave it empty or to set it to "Albedo" but got the same result. What do you mean by "choose color property you want to bake"?

I set all my objects material shaders to VacuumShader/Vertex Color/One Directional and turned "Color and Texture" to On. In my case, does that give the same result as using the utility window?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  21. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Untitled-1.png

Material does not use textures, only color.
    You need to bake that color inside mesh.

Select ► button on the right side of Color Name property inside Mesh Texture & Color group and choose color property name you want to bake. In the case of Unity Standard shader that color name inside shader is _Color

22. FloBeber

FloBeber

@Arkhivrag Thank you! I figured that out later and was planning to post the (obvious?) solution here but you already did.

23. ethanwgross

ethanwgross

Thanks for including Thickness Baker with Mesh Materializer. Greatly appreciated. Do you plan to include docs for it and perhaps some examples?

24. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Seems I missed Doc. Thickness baker has the same tools as Ambient Occlusion and works exactly the same way but result is different.

25. ethanwgross

ethanwgross

Can you please include some examples of how mesh baker can be used? Thanks for the support and great asset!

26. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Does not 6. Runtime (mesh combine) example scene does what you ask?

27. Alan8bull

Alan8bull

Its been several months without using Mesh Materializer. I just installed it again and i appears empty, non of the tools are installed. Can you help me please??
    upload_2017-2-28_11-0-34.png

28. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Update Unity to 5.5

29. ethanwgross

ethanwgross

My mistake, what I actually meant to ask is "Can you please include some examples of how the Mesh Thickness baker can be used?" Forgot to include the word Thickness to specify. It would just be nice to have a few working examples of how this new Thickness baker can be of some benefit. Again, thanks for any help.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  30. SilentMCJoy

SilentMCJoy

An error occurred

31. Nijamyang

Nijamyang

Hi, is there a way to adjust the brightness and contrast of the shader during runtime? I'd like to do some kind of lerp.

32. Bentoon

Bentoon

Great work Arkhivrag!
    Can I use 2 of your shaders at the same time?
    I want to use Mesh Materializer Flat shader on my people and also have them in a Curved World Shader...
    Thanks

~be

33. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Curved World shaders support vertex colors, so you can achieve same result without using MM shaders.

34. auhfel

auhfel

Hey, just want to make sure -- I can convert textures into the vertex color, and then also bake the ambient occlusion into the vertex color as well? I know you can do both seperately, just want to make sure you can combine the texture conversion with AO since they are both in vertex color.

EDIT: I watched all the tut videos, although I don't think you ever clicked texture to vertex color and AO or Indirect all together, I'm fairly sure it will work =D

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  35. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Yes, you can combine everything inside vertex color.

36. dearamy

dearamy

Got an error in Unity 2017

Editor error :(
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object

37. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Fixed. Download new version from the store.

frbrz likes this.
  38. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Is this or will this be compatible with megasplat?
    Would like to use them together also for multible tiles.

39. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

If you are asking about baking megasplat terrain shaders into one BaseMap texture using included Terrain To Mesh tool, then no.
    Only Unity built-in terrain shaders can be baked into single BaseMap texture.

40. vJoeyz

vJoeyz

Hey there,

I tried using your asset to combine buildings (200) - each with their own atlassed texture - into one big mesh to increase performance. However, the combining goes fine but the textures get all blurry, am I missing something? The docs don't seem to help me fix this issue. Also when selecting a non-vertex shader all buildings just become white. :(

Example: http://prntscr.com/fvyz6e
    My settings: http://prntscr.com/fvyzif

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  41. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Texture does not go blurry - it is vertex color that generates MM.
    All textures are baked inside mesh per-vertex. More vertices mesh has more detailed final look will be.

42. JDrem1

JDrem1

Forgive my inexperience.. I am interested in this plug-in.
    But have 2 quick questions.

I asked this same question on the Low Poly Mesh Generator forum, not realising that it did not reduce the triangle count, and is not a "mesh decimation tool."

1. That being said, does Mesh Materializer offer this facility?

When converting anything solid, faceted, terrain, and skinned meshes, will / does Mesh Materializer reduce the actual poly count, bringing better frames performance? I am specifically looking at reducing FPS for for VR?

Again please forgive the noobish question, we all have to learn at some point. And there's plenty to learn.

And one last question.

2. Having watched all of the videos. And seeing that the poly vertex and chunk count can be controlled in Terrain convention.
    Is this same (control of how many polys are used,) possible with none terrain objects as well please, buildings, furniture, creatures etc.

Thank you for any help on these two points. :)

43. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

1. Mesh Materializer does not include mesh decimation tool.
    2. Exception is terrain conversion where you have full control on vertex/triangle count.

44. JDrem1

JDrem1

Thank you for the reply and the help.

OK, So it would make no difference to FPS performance, either converting terrain or none terrain objects.
    It is for the low poly asthenic appeal only.
    So it looks different, but actually has the same mesh?

I find this a little strange. Seeing how if the polys are reduced, it would be logical to assume its less stress.

But I thank you for the help.

45. futurewavecs

futurewavecs

I've had the Low Poly Mesh Generator for awhile, but I finally purchased Mesh Materializer (Thank you for the sale) and I am still trying to learn the ins and outs of using it.

I've determined how to convert most meshes to faceted look. I've also messed with Mesh Materializer some.

I have noticed that a DAX Studio exported FBX that is imported into Unity and works with pretty much everything else has some strange things happen.

I wrote an initial review today on my steemit blog, and I'll revisit it again later once I've better learned how to leverage it's capabilities.

https://steemit.com/unity/@dwinbloo...lizer-40-off-this-week-on-unity-s-asset-store

46. ranaUK

ranaUK

Hi Davis,

Just bought this asset hoping it would allow me to do the following, but unsure on how to.

Use case: I have a correct scale stadium which is created from 6 podiums. My original thought was to bake the scene and create an asset with lightmap data; then in game, I could load the asset and reapply all lightmaps.
    Couple of notes: the podium is created with solid colour: i.e. None of the materials have any textures, but only colour.

I have tried using lightmap on a test scene with just a cube and two baked light. It didn't work as I had hoped.

Reading the manual, it says it will update vertex color. What if the mesh is shared (i.e. Seats on podium are partly individual meshes for lod).

So what I really want is to load lightmap from prefabs. If I can get ao and indirect lighting, even merrier. Thanks in advance.

Ps: do I need to use vaccum shader on my final prefab?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  47. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Can you send me Daz3D fbx file you had problem with? I'll check whether it is Mesh Materializer bug.

As for tree exporting from the terrain, there is additional controller for it inside editor.
    Note, it exports original tree prefabs without converting them or baking anything inside vertex color.
    tree.jpg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  48. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Mesh Materializer can bake Unity generated lightmap textures inside mesh vertex color.
    Mesh Materializer does not generate its own lightmaps.

49. ranaUK

ranaUK

Oh I've already baked the scene, so the scene has lightmaps;

Simple test; I drop a simple plane (nothing else done to it); place a cube above it (again default material) and mark it static; Then I add two baked lights (one red and one blue) and place it above the cube so it's shining on different sides with different colour. At this point, I bake the scene; if I remove those lights, I can still see the colours it was baked with.

I tried this item with MM without any luck;

50. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Before baking lightmaps make sure scene is saved and Unity creates lightmap texture assetss in the folder with the same name as the scene (by default Unity does it).
    If MM encounters some problem, it will print warning or error logs inside Unity console window with details what has went wrong. Are there any messages there?