Search Unity

1. Get all the Unite Berlin 2018 news on the blog.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.2 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We're looking for your feedback on the platforms you use and how you use them. Let us know!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mesh Maker - The Modeling & Editing Collection

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MediaGiant, Oct 11, 2013.

1. AbhishekRaj

AbhishekRaj

Hi,
    Thanks for the quick response. Hoping to see this feature soon as this feature will make the work more easier for a lot of us. This will also help in increasing the performance especially on mobile devices.

Cheers,
    Abhishek

MediaGiant likes this.
  2. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi Fostac, thank you for your kind review. From memory I believe all four UV channels are being created along with the model, but I will need to test this in my project and try to get a fix for this. It may be possible to export the model and reimport it again, with generate UVs turned on in the import settings, but I haven't tried this myself.

3. Fostac

Fostac

Hi MediaGiant,
    thanks for the fast reply. I tried your workaround and at least its getting better. See the attached Screenshot with the Mesh from Level Editor in the front and a room composed of Unity standard cubes in the back. It still needs a lot of time for tweaking and Im not sure yet whether I can achieve good lightmaps. Any update or tips on this would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

4. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Thanks for letting me know. The screenshot does look better but I can see the differences. I'll run a few tests at this end and let you know if I find a solution to this.

5. biggroover

biggroover

Probably a noob question (I just bought mesh maker a couple of days ago) but I'm struggling with level editor (I'm using Win 7 and Unity 2017.1.1f1). I can't seem to cut holes in walls. There seems to be two ways to do it. Following the pdf tutorial this is what I did. So I create a wall. Then create a rectangle on the wall and extrude into it (not out). Then in extrude mode I hold the control key and select the face which highlights it, then I hit delete and it stays! The video that shows an arch being cut seems to just select the erase tool but in my example that does nothing. Am I missing some magic key combo?

6. biggroover

biggroover

OK, So I followed the video tutorial again and this worked but it only works for holes that touch the edge of a wall because it works by deleting the edge. But I want to cut a window in a wall. Please help!

7. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hello biggroover, thank you for your purchase and support for the programs.

Once you have created the small rectangle on the wall, switch to extrude mode and after selecting the front of the rectangle, drag the rectangle inwards until it is parallel with the back of the wall. This will create the inside walls of the doorway, but yes it is necessary to manually remove the front and back of the rectangle to see the hole.

To make this easier you should be in Snap mode, with the dimensions set to the width of the wall. This will help you to extrude to the exact width of the wall.

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions I'll do my best to help. You can always write to me at support@meshmaker.com if that is easier too.

8. Fostac

Fostac

Hi MediaGiant,

any updates on this issue? If the created objects cannot use lightmaps unfortunately the Level Editor is useless for me :(

9. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

I have found the problem and will add this to the next update. In the meantime I have created a small program that will add the secondary UV set to your saved prefab. You can grab it from here.

Level Editor will default to creating a double sided mesh, so to prevent artifacts in the lightmap you should go to the Settings page and deselect the Double Sided option. You may also need to reverse a few faces from the Edit page.

So after creating the model I saved it as a prefab, used the program to create the secondary UVs, set the directional light, model and terrain to static, and then set the light to Baked. After the lighting was recalculated it created the lightmap shown above.

Thank you for your patience, I hope this helps with your project while I keep working on the next update.

10. Fostac

Fostac

Hi MediaGiant, I'm really stunned by the efforts you are taking to quickly help your customers. In the meantime I have created some of the assets in Blender but I will definitely check out your program and give you feedback, thanks a lot!.

MediaGiant likes this.
  11. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

You're very welcome Fostac. I've been working on a few new features and appreciate you letting me know about the light mapping. The Level Editor makes for a very flexible prototyping tool, so if you need to experiment with some new geometry to test a character controller or materials it is always available. Thanks again for your kind review.

12. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi All, just a note to let you know a new update for six of the programs, plus Mesh Maker, was submitted for review a few days ago. This update addresses the build problems that have found their way into the latest version.

Another solution to the build problem that you can use is to click on the DLL (Assets/MeshMaker/Files/LOD/DLL/LOD.dll) and change the Import Settings in the Inspector window from Any Platform to Editor only.

I hope this helps with any issues related to the builds and I thank you all for your understanding.

hopeful likes this.
  13. fucrate

fucrate

I just grabbed CSG from the asset store and I'm getting errors when I try to do any kind of basic subtraction operation on any model imported from blender. It seems to work fine if I just use a mesh generated by ProBuilder or one of the basic Unity cube primitives, but anything imported from blender gives me this error:

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    MeshMakerNamespace.CSG_Model..ctor (UnityEngine.GameObject go, Boolean reverseNormals, Boolean useCustomMaterial)
    MeshMakerNamespace.CSG.Subtract (UnityEngine.GameObject lhs, UnityEngine.GameObject rhs, Boolean submeshes, Boolean customMaterial)
    MeshMakerNamespace.CSG.PerformCSG ()
    MeshMakerNamespace.CSGWindow.MainGUI ()
    MeshMakerNamespace.CSGWindow.OnGUI ()
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:272)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:265)
    UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (Rect onGUIPosition) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:232)

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

14. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi fucrate, thank you for your purchase of CSG. The best way to ensure the operations are successful is to move the objects close to the world origin. This helps with the floating point math calculations and rounding errors. At the top of the CSG window is a drop down list which includes an Options page, if you select this you can adjust the Epsilon value to make it smaller which can also affect the calculations.

15. fucrate

fucrate

The meshes are very close to the origin, I'm pretty sure it's the format of the model that is causing an exception.

Do you know if there is any way the format of the model itself is not usable by your plugin? My issue isn't that the boolean operation is done incorrectly but that the operation errors out if I use models I create in blender.

16. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

It is possible that they are different than the basic primitives or those from ProBuilder. You could try checking the Import Settings for the models to check whether the UVs, normals and other mesh features are present. Also exporting and reimporting the models within Unity may help. If you would like to send me a copy of one of the models to support@meshmaker.com then I can check this for you.

17. darbotron

darbotron

Hi

I just bought MeshMaker - I've had a quick play with them and watched the videos and seems like a pretty cool set of tools.

I actually just wanted the CSG tool for an immediate workflow optimisation (cutting holes in geometry, obviously) but sadly it doesn't do what I was hoping & I wanted to just check I was doing it right.

If I just create (for example) 2 cubes in the editor these work just fine.

My game uses rooms built out of generic wall meshes which are planes (essentially 1-sided quads) and I want to cut a hole through them at arbitrary locations (e.g. with a door or window or whatever). This could obviously save a tonne of art time by obviating the need to create all the possible variations of door / window /etc. location in a wall.

When I attempt to use CSG with a wall as a target I get the following error (I've tried using the door geometry or a standard unity cube & it gives the same error)

Code (CSharp):
    1. IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    2. MeshMakerNamespace.CSG_Model..ctor (UnityEngine.GameObject go, Boolean reverseNormals, Boolean useCustomMaterial)
    3. MeshMakerNamespace.CSG.Subtract (UnityEngine.GameObject lhs, UnityEngine.GameObject rhs, Boolean submeshes, Boolean customMaterial)
    4. MeshMakerNamespace.CSG.PerformCSG ()
    5. MeshMakerNamespace.CSGWindow.MainGUI ()
    6. MeshMakerNamespace.CSGWindow.OnGUI ()
    7. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    8. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    9. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    10. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    11. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:272)
    12. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:265)
    13. UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (Rect onGUIPosition) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:232)
    I'm assuming that this is something to to with the fact that mathematically a quad has 0 volume?

There doesn't seem to be any source code for the editor so I can't address this myself & I was wondering if there's some sort of work around I might've missed other than making all my walls into (really thin) boxes rather than planes?

Another feature I'd love to see added would be to be able to use an object's collider rather than it's actual mesh for the boolean operation.

Many thanks,

Alex

18. Candac59

Candac59

Hello,
    I use "LOD" but when I generate, it does not work. Only the base mesh is on the LOD 0, nothing on the other LOD and my stones / trees are not even visible anymore. Do you have a solution ?

19. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi Alex, thank you for your purchase of Mesh Maker. You are correct about the CSG program not being able to work with objects with no volume. As they are infinitely flat the calculations for determining inside and outside when splitting the triangles fails. I also got your email so I will try your scene and get back to you soon.

20. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hello Candac59, I'm not sure what is happening here. The LOD program should be able to find the children within the hierarchy and work directly with them. The program will essentially combine all meshes selected, but again it is difficult to tell without more information about the structure of the objects.

Would you be able to try the program with another model, perhaps downloaded from the store, to test whether it is specific to those models or a general problem.

21. Candac59

Candac59

Hi MediaGiant, i try LOD with "Rock and Boulders 2" from the asset store (https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/props/exterior/rock-and-boulders-2-6947)

Maybe I misunderstood the principle of the asset LOD?

The system serves to concert the main mesh in several mesh lighter and then automatically create the different LODs?

22. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Thanks Candac50, I downloaded the package of rocks and imported about six of them into the scene and was able to create the LOD levels for them. After selecting the objects in the hierarchy and clicking on Generate LOD, if you open up their entries in the hierarchy you will see a new child called _LOD_ and within this child object you will find the three new LOD levels.

Unfortunately these object are very low poly, less than 500 per model, so the program wasn't able to optimize them further, though it did create the different lighting for each level of detail. If you check the Decimated Object script in the Inspector window and click on Reset LODs you will be able to tweak the lighting per level further.

23. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

For Alex, and those having a similar problem working with models exported from Blender, it appears that the models don't have a UV channel attached to them. This will cause the CSG program to throw an error. I have a small program that you can download from here that will create a copy of the mesh with the UVs added to them, and then the CSG operations should work as normal.

darbotron likes this.
  24. Candac59

Candac59

Thank you for your answer,

I realize that I have therefore poorly targeted my problem. On the screen you can see "Culled" whereas normally I should have LOD 0.

Do you know why this shows "Culled"? I could have made a mistake somewhere without knowing it

EDIT: I found the problem ! Juste change "Maximum LOD Level" to 0 in Edit / Project settings / Quality.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  25. Candac59

Candac59

Sorry to ask you as much but after doing several tests, it turns out that the mesh LODs 1/2/3 s disappear once my model save. I'm still trying to find out why but if you have a track ...

26. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

I'm glad changing the Maximum LOD Level worked. I don't know what it was on before, but from the screenshot you can see in the scene window how there is a maroon square around the object that has been culled. This should only be shown if the slider in the LOD Group was on the last level of detail which is also a maroon color. If the slider is on LOD 0, as shown, then the square in the scene should be green.

I'll look into this myself to check what the Maximum LOD Level does in the scene. Just happy it's working for you now :)

Candac59 likes this.
  27. darbotron

darbotron

Hi @MediaGiant

Thanks for sorting out issue with models missing UVs - much appreciated.

I was just trying to subtract a cube from a plane; which I'd expect to leave a hole in the plane however I guess the maths works out slightly different than I expected.

If I start with this:
    Before.png

then I subtract the cube from the plane I get this:

After.png

I was wondering if there's any way to get it to just cut a hole in the plane rather than end up with the box poking out of the wall?

I assume that there isn't any way to do this right now, but it would be awesome if there could maybe be a tickbox to treat planes as boxes with 0 size in one dimension (which I assume would make a hole in the plane)?

Alex

28. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

You're welcome, glad to hear the small utility came in handy.
    As the CSG program stands at the moment, it is unable to work with planes. As mentioned above, the mathematical calculations use an inside/outside test to determine which vertices to keep or where to split triangles. Unfortunately they are unable to do this with planes since they all equate to outside the target plane.

Sorry I can't be of more help here but I'll certainly keep it in mind for a future version that would detect the plane object and just use splitting operations.

29. darbotron

darbotron

Hey
    I'd really appreciate that - being able to punch holes in these wall planes using other geometry is really the only reason I bought the Mesh Maker asset package in the first place...

cheers,

Alex

30. BeautifulRiver

BeautifulRiver

Hi MediaGiant, MeshMaker seems quite handy and powerful! I like the idea of using your tool inside Unity. I create all my models using Blender and regard them as the definitive sources. Can your tool export meshes specifically and cleanly to blender format? I assume a lot of Blender specific features may be lost once imported into Unity. Is the exported mesh still be friendly and useful for human editing inside Blender? Ideally I want to switch between MeshMaker and Blender back and forth with minimal hassle.

Thanks for your time.

31. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi BeautifulRiver, thank you very much for your interest in the collection of tools. The package includes options to export to the OBJ format, which includes the textures. There are also options to bulk export multiple models at a time, to a single file or multiple files. While I haven't tested all of the features to make sure they transfer over, I do believe this is a good format for both Unity and Blender.

32. BeautifulRiver

BeautifulRiver

Thanks MediaGiant for your reply. I am visioning a workflow where I create models using Blender and tinker the model inside a real Unity game world. I am doing some research on tools such as MeshMaker. Thanks for your clarification, it is very helpful.

33. Gray_Master

Gray_Master

Fantastic Asset! But i think, what if autor move "Mesh Maker" menu from "Wndow" to "Tools", then this has been more usability (in last versions Unity "Window" menu is very big & more submenus for this menu not good (menu biggest screen height)

JBR-games likes this.
  34. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Thank you Gray_Master. I tried putting the menu on the Unity menu bar itself, but I was asked to move it, so the common choice was the Window item. I can see the size of the Window items growing all the time so it is something to think about. Thanks again for your feedback.

JBR-games likes this.
  35. JBR-games

JBR-games

Asked by Unity to move it ?

MediaGiant likes this.
  36. Gray_Master

Gray_Master

from menu toolbar(File Edit etc...)

MediaGiant likes this.
  37. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Yes, a submission was declined because Unity said it cluttered up the menu to have too many applications there.

RavenMikal and JBR-games like this.
  38. RavenMikal

RavenMikal

Media, you have got to be one of the longest most consistent in supporting your tool, and one of the best. lmao. I only bring this up because I came back after a hiatus having finally built a machine I can work on, and have found several other tools not supported and only accessible because I had it before <(<o<v)

Glad to see you still at it, the best tool I've gotten from the assetstore to date. <(^o^v)

MediaGiant and JBR-games like this.
  39. Fortitude3D

Fortitude3D

Creative, good work

MediaGiant likes this.
  40. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hiya Raven, thanks for your refreshing enthusiasm and kind words. It has been a while, nearly four years now, but I'm still here and great to see you are back too. I'm working on a couple of new ideas related to characters, graph nodes and the like. Lots to learn and Unity keeps growing faster than one person can keep up with, which is a good thing :)

RavenMikal likes this.
  41. BeautifulRiver

BeautifulRiver

Thanks MediaGiant for your reply. I had decided to purchase your tool.

42. Praetorsoft

Praetorsoft

I just bought the Mesh Maker asset and it looks really cool. Right now I'm trying to rescale a number of vehicles that I bought on the Asset Store, without changing their scale in the transform. "Real scale" in the Mesh Tools seems to be the right tool for the job and the vehicle body and wheels are scaled correctly. The problem is that the wheel's positions remain the same, so they are no longer in the correct place in relation to the vehicle body. Is there an option or other tool I can use to also scale the position?

43. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi Praetorsoft and BeautifulRiver, thank you for your purchase of Mesh Maker, and very sorry to have missed your post. I had no alerts at all that there was a new message here.

While the Real Scale tool is the right choice, there isn't a way to automatically update their positions relative to each other after scaling them. There is a utility which is a part of Mesh Editor which allows you to Normalize the scale which may also come in handy, but for now you may need to manually move them back to their new locations. I will keep this in mind for a future update as it would be a real benefit when dealing with multiple objects.

44. OJDee

OJDee

@MediaGiant Hi I am interested in the mesh editor, specifically for tweaking a low poly terrain with 60k tris. Are you aware of any performance issues working with large meshes ?

Thanks

45. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi OJDee, thank you for your interest in Mesh Editor. The program can handle a mesh with 60k tris, but it may be slower than when working with a few thousand tris. Not so much that it crawls, and certainly won't prevent you from editing the mesh, but it might be noticeable. The program has had a price reduction recently so it is a good time to give it a try.

46. Gray_Master

Gray_Master

Update Pls this tool for new Unity versions - on my system in unity 2017+ many parts is not workig (in 5.6.6 all good)

47. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi Gray_Master, did you try importing the 2017.2.0 version? There are some differences between the 5.5 and the newer version so I'd certainly recommend going to Unity 2017.2.0 or above. The program has also been tested with Unity version 2018.1.0b4 and appears to be working normally.

Could you help me understand which parts appear not to work? From recent tests and from absence of support requests I was sure it was still up and running, but I'll do some more tests here just to be sure.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  48. Gray_Master

Gray_Master

& in u3d 2017.2 / 2017.3 / 2017.4 & more other versions i see blank window s for mesh/lever editor/construction/geom / etc & big error list in consol. in 5.6 corrrect - work. not known about 2017.1

49. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Thanks for letting me know. If the errors are related to the Styles class then it sounds like the program is conflicting with another one. Could you try starting a new project and importing a fresh copy to see how it behaves there? For the individual programs, the last update was released to specifically address this blank window problem, but I haven't heard about Mesh Maker having this issue before.

If you could try the program in a new project with any version of Unity I believe it will work and help us determine which programs are conflicting with it.

50. Gray_Master

Gray_Master