Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Mesh Maker - The Modeling & Editing Collection

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MediaGiant, Oct 11, 2013.

1. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

I'm glad you found the A key worked, albeit with beeping. I will certainly add new checks based on the actual KeyCode as this may fix any localization differences or inconsistencies.

Thanks for letting me know and for your suggestions. I'll get this sorted for the next major update of all the programs in December.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    runevision likes this.
  2. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi All,

The latest addition to the Mesh Maker collection is now available. The new utility is called Level Editor and it allows you to create new buildings, models and quickly prototype your levels right in the Unity editor.

The program uses an intuitive point and click design style that is very fast and flexible. With a little practice you'll find this program great for not only prototyping but also for creating very detailed meshes and prefabs for your projects.

You can get the new program on the Unity Asset Store as part of the Mesh Maker collection here at https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/11625

The standalone version of Level Editor is still under review by the Asset Store team so we hope that will be accepted within the next week.

This is a quick preview video which highlights some of the features included with the new program as well as the first videos in the tutorials.

These videos will be followed by more advanced tutorials so please subscribe to be notified when the new videos are released.

You can also have a read of the tutorial that comes with the program online here

Online Tutorial For Level Editor​

Some coder art :)

The Level Editor program is still in Beta v0.7 and we are working hard to iron out any bugs as they appear. If you find a problem or have a suggestion for how to improve the program then we would love to hear from you.

You can write to us at support@meshmaker.com and we will also add your suggestions to the FAQ page here at
    http://meshmaker.com/level-editor-faq/

Thanks for your support while we worked on this new utility and we hope you find it to be the fastest and easiest (and fun) way to create level geometry in Unity.

Best regards,
    Alan

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    RavenMikal, docsavage, Hormic and 3 others like this.
  3. docsavage

docsavage

Great addition Alan!!!!

Happy Christmas BTW

4. recon0303

recon0303

I can see this great for prototyping for sure. This can speed things up for me when making new levels, scenes etc..... Looking forward to it, I use basic shapes like this for that reason all the time. Also for some could be good, to get people going in a 3d program.. Are you able to export them out? in a FBX?

5. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Thanks Doc & Recon and everyone who gave it a like, I'm glad you're enjoying the new editor.

As well as quickly prototyping while working on the mechanics of your game/project I envision that the prototype level geometry could then be saved and handed on to an artist that could build onto it, adding fine details and new features.

You can save your work to a XML format, mesh, prefab and also export it to the OBJ format after you've created your prefab.

I've added DAE importing for the next update (basic geometry so far) and will be looking to add exporting to STL and other formats in the future.

docsavage likes this.
  6. recon0303

recon0303

ya would be great to see FBX if possible, I use Modo, and Maya alot

7. RavenMikal

RavenMikal

I'm awestruck...its fantastic. I wonder if you realize how many gaps you cover in the Unity Editor...to answer, ALOT.

hopeful likes this.
  8. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Excellent to hear such positive feedback! This addition is one I've been wanting to make for a long time and I wanted something that everyone could use to create interesting models without starting with cubes.

The next update is ready but I'm just waiting for the review team to approve the standalone version before I resubmit the program. The texture handling is way faster, there's a new floating menu for rendering modes, a smooth and facet faces option when texturing, constrained proportions when scaling and a new feature for converting any static mesh into a part compatible with Level Editor.

The list of new features that I've got has over 50 new items on it which will dramatically improve the program and make it the most powerful editor available, but I'm keeping them as a surprise for the future updates :D

Thanks again guys, I hope to see your new creations come to life!

docsavage likes this.
  9. voncarp

voncarp

Hi,

I have two terrain meshes. Is it possible to blend the edges together with this tool?

10. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi Voncarp,

Unfortunately not. The editing tools require a gameobject with a Mesh Renderer or a Skinned Mesh Renderer to enable you to edit them which is different from the Terrain object.

There is a lot I would like to do with terrain meshes so this may become a reality in the future.

11. voncarp

voncarp

Hi,

What if the terrain meshes are fbx or obj files? Which tool would I need to blend the edges?

12. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

In that case I would suggest Mesh Editor as the tool that could do the job. But to be clear, it would be a manual process of moving the vertices individually.

I'm not sure if you could get a perfect seam along the edges that are to be blended together because the points wouldn't snap together when they are on two different meshes. With patience you could get something close but it may not be ideal.

Thank you for your questions as it is best to be sure before investing in any asset.

13. docsavage

docsavage

I have this asset - https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/42671 - from Nature Manufacture. He's good dev and makes some fantastic assets. For the price this is the best simplest tool I've found to do what you ask.

:)

14. docsavage

docsavage

I've tried using terrains converted to meshes in my current game. They can be optimised etc but it can become a bit messy as well. Unity will split the mesh up once over the poly limit. I also noticed the scenes made with meshes took longer to load than with unity terrains. I ended up converting that scene back to standard terrain.

15. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

They were a bit backlogged over the holidays so it took three weeks to review the new program but I'm happy to announce that the standalone version of Level Editor is now available.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/78234

The next update for Level Editor includes:
    • Faster texture transforms
    • Transformed features are recalculated to find intersections and new faces
    • Moving vertices, edges and faces now only snaps in the direction of the current handle
    • Enable and disable option for cursors
    • New GUI for rendering modes
    • Fixed namespace for Addons
    • Smooth & Facet faces
    • Constrain proportions when scaling textures
    • Movable directory
    • DAE importing (experimental for basic geometry)
    • Adjusted eraser accuracy
    • Convert Unity static meshes to lines
    • Save all selected parts to same mesh or prefab
    These changes will be submitted tonight as well as a new look Mesh Editor.

I will get back to finishing the tutorial videos by covering how to use and manage blueprints next. But for now you can check out a couple of speed build videos I made.

Level Editor Speed Build - Coffee Table

Level Editor Speed Build - Castle Turret

If you would like to add some pictures or videos of the models or levels that you make with Level Editor then I'd love to see them on the forum :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  16. Ikarus76

Ikarus76

Hi, I bought Mesh Maker yesterday. I just played around with Mesh Editor modifying a cube. After selecting edge mode, an edge and tried to split the edge I got an IndexOutOfRangeException. Is there any logfile, that will help sorting out this bug?

17. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi Ikarus76,

Thank you for your purchase and support.

I'm not sure where the error is coming from as I haven't seen this error before. There is no log file but if you could send me the output from the console to me at support@meshmaker.com I will have a better idea where in the code the problem is.

It should handle a simple cube as it has been tested on all primitives, complex models, skinned models and even those with blend shapes. I'm sure we can track down the source of the problem and get it fixed for you.

Edit: Just to check, is this a Unity cube? If not then it could be missing the normals, UVs or some other data. I'm working on the next update which will add these to the mesh if they are not present. This was necessary as I've had a few customers working with procedurally generated meshes that don't include these.

If it is missing the UVs you can use this tool to add them to the mesh.
    http://www.meshmaker.com/addons/UVs.unitypackage
    and if the model is missing the normals you change the import settings in the inspector to automatically calculate them for you.

-Alan

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    Akshara likes this.
  18. Ikarus76

Ikarus76

Hi
    Hi and thank you for yor fast reply.
    I've tried to reproduce the error without success. It was a standard unity cube. I will continue to try and send my errors to the email address you provided.

19. Ikarus76

Ikarus76

I tried LevelEditor now. I made the U-formed model as you see on the screenshot. After selecting Parts on the side-menu, I got a NullReferenceException.

Attached Files:

20. Ikarus76

Ikarus76

And do you have an idea how I can make the sides of the extruded part visible?

21. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

It is unusual but thankfully the error is not reoccurring for you. The edge splitting feature has been used by customers since it was introduced in April of 2016 without any report of problems so it was likely due to other circumstances.

Moving the Parts menu to the front page was a part of the last update so there may be an issue when switching between Level Editor and Unity. Again, I'm unable to reproduce this error in my tests but I will keep looking and adding more checks for null objects just in case.

Certainly, sometimes Level Editor will miss a face when evaluating the edges. The simplest fix is to add a diagonal line from one corner of the face to the other. This will create two triangles and should fill the gap. The program is still in Beta and uses some very complicated code so I'm working to improve this, but the workaround is the best solution in most cases.

22. Ikarus76

Ikarus76

Hi, I found out that the planes are reversed. I needed to select them and click 'reverse'.

23. Ikarus76

Ikarus76

Do you know, why the texture is so small?

Attached Files:

24. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Thanks for letting us know. The default state is set to work with double sided faces which makes building the models easier. If this is disabled then yes you would find some of the faces are facing the wrong way and you would be looking at the back.

It is repeating the texture every meter, but you can scale them in any direction from the Texture page. I'd also recommend locking the XY scale so they look right after scaling.

25. Ikarus76

Ikarus76

Got it! Thank you for your support. :)

26. auhfel

auhfel

Extruding any curved things like circles, the sides are all messed up. See attached pic.

Attached Files:

27. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hello auhfel,

I believe this is happening because the model is very far from the origin. You can move the object closer to the world origin or you can click on the lock icon and move it closer to the model. I covered this in a video on my YouTube account which should help explain this in detail.

It is related to the floating point math rounding errors and as far as I can tell, and after months or experimentation, I don't believe there is another way around working far from the origin.

I hope this helps but please let me know if there are any other problems and I'll do my best to help. Thanks for checking out the program and please understand that it is still in beta with many new features to come and optimizations needed, which isn't too much of a problem if you keep working with separate parts.

Thanks,
    Alan

28. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi Everyone,

All of the programs in the Mesh Maker collection have now had a face lift to give them a more professional look.

I’m very happy with the new modern look of the programs and can now continue working on the next addition to the collection. Thank you all for your support while I work toward improving and growing the collection of programs.

docsavage, Akshara, jmjd and 2 others like this.
  29. beowulfkaine

beowulfkaine

Is there a bug in the new version of MeshTools (1.2.3)? I'm using Unity 5.5.1 and when I have meshtools tab active, I can no longer select objects or deselect objects from the editor? I can however select them in the hierarchy view?

30. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

I can confirm this too. Not sure how it happened after working on the GUI but I've found the cause and will fix and submit immediately. It should only be a couple of days for the update to go live.

Thank you for letting me know, after all the GUI changes I guess a problem here or there was bound to show up.

It looks like Mesh Painter has the same problem so I'll get this fixed at the same time.

Regards,
    Alan

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  31. TheCelt

TheCelt

Does this also allow mesh creation at run time for the purpose of level creation that players can do? Similar to Sims 4 construction has? Or is this only editor ?

32. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hello SirChick,

Thank you for your interest in the collection. All of the tools, with the exception of CSG, are for use within the Unity editor. I am working towards a crafting system, like Rust, which will allow for the creation of buildings within the editor and also at runtime, but using existing modular parts.

I hope this helps, if you have further questions then please let me know.

All the best,
    Alan

33. TheCelt

TheCelt

Thanks for the reply - got your email. I am unfamiliar with RUST, do you know if your crafting system can create walls/floors like Sims 4 building tools? Thats mainly what i am looking for at moment, walls a difficult challenge to generate, i only got as far as making floor meshes then it got too complex!

34. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Rust is a very successful game available on Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/252490/) that is created with Unity. The game comes with existing modular pieces that you can quickly snap together to make your buildings.

My Construction program was inspired by the Sims 3 building style, but again it only allows for creation in Unity. The reason for this is that all of the tools and the interface required to do this would all have to be reinvented for a runtime tool.

I believe most gamers are happy to be handed the modular pieces to construct with as they probably don't have time to design each piece and edit the textures while playing.

You can find whole kits with thousands of parts on the asset store like the ones by Aquarius Max here at https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/37226 which is a small cost when it comes to making a full game.

If making a house, or the parts of a house, are what you need then Mesh Maker is certainly a good set of tools for this task. Then you can provide these to your players at runtime.

docsavage likes this.
  35. TheCelt

TheCelt

Yeah i was trying to avoid modular pieces for floors and walls simply due to the sheer volume of game assets that would be required due to it being quite large. So for example my floor is using a simple 2D mesh generation with a texture atlas which saved a lot of performance problems ! Walls are technically worse since each tile has possibly 4 walls. It soon adds up!

36. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Certainly, the benefit of using a modular approach is that each section is a prefab and reuses the same materials and is heavily optimized. It really depends on the complexity of your buildings and the number of unique parts required.

docsavage likes this.
  37. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi Everybody,

The fifteenth tool for the Mesh Maker collection has just rolled off the production line. It is a dedicated Snap To Grid utility made with ease of use and flexibility in mind.

To see what the program can do you can check out the following introductory video…

To learn more about the program you can have a read of the online tutorial:

Snap To Grid

Snap To Grid makes positioning objects in the Unity editor much easier and faster. You can snap while in Move, Rotate and Scale modes and to make things even faster you can use the quick transform buttons. The program also includes a handy feature to snap to the terrain height.

Snap To Grid has been designed to support both Metric and Imperial units, including both degrees and radians. You can select the Metric and Imperial units from a convenient drop down list and even enter custom values in a text box.

Thanks for all of your support while we worked on this new utility and we hope to bring you many more new products in the near future.

- Alan

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    docsavage, Akshara and hopeful like this.
  38. hopeful

hopeful

Not sure if you would want to do it, but what came to mind while I was watching the video is that you could probably add a small number of features to aid with random placement, like random rotation within a range on Y, random scale of Y within a range, number of clones to place in a radius, etc. Things like that could lead to some scatter functionality.

Possibly there might be a role for an offset value, too. Is there a mode for taking into account the whole size of the object, or is placement always based on the pivot? It might be good to have some options there.

And while the snap to terrain is great, I'm not much of a terrain user. Maybe it could raycast on an axis and move to the next object (within a short max distance, so it doesn't vanish, lol). That would help with snapping to walls, ceilings, etc.

Anyway, just some thoughts for expansion, if any of it sounds within scope. :)

MediaGiant likes this.
  39. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Thanks hopeful, some really good ideas there.

The random position, rotation and scale feature is already a part of 3D Brush, which is your typical scatter type application, so I'm not sure it would be worth repeating this functionality in Snap To Grid.

I originally worked on a position based on the mesh bounds, like top and bottom etc, but found a lot of objects had strange bounds that had nothing to do with the vertex positions, even after using the Unity recalculate bounds method, so I will add this again after creating my own bounds detection.

The snapping to objects along an axis line is very doable and something I really want to add. The same code that is used to snap to the terrain can easily be modified with a raycast to snap to anything. This would be ideal for working with pipes, boxes and such.

Great to get your feedback and I really appreciate your ideas for how to expand on the core functionality.

All the best,
    Alan

hopeful likes this.
  40. dreb4o

dreb4o

I have a question
    If I use constructor or level Editor
    and do some building then I can sell it in stores?
    Is it not better to make cloud system?
    and developers to upload models there

41. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi dreb4o, you can certainly create new models and buildings to sell on any store.

I've always wanted to create a way for people to quickly share or showcase their work in Mesh Maker and it is on my to-do list. There are things like authentication, moderation and piracy to consider, which is why I haven't tried to implement this earlier, but it is a great idea.

42. dreb4o

dreb4o

I can give only suggestions
    I gave similar proposals on other systems
    who wants to enter the cloud system
    each making 5 or 10 models(must be approved)-poll or directly from the creator
    So everyone who wants to participate will be involved with a project
    of course it can be done and more details
    have several rooms (cloudy) (buildings)-(roads bridges tunnels)-interior-exterior

43. zenGarden

zenGarden

Hi @MediaGiant

I'm interested in the level editor plugin, looking at the table making video, there is repetitive work that could be avoided if there was some mirror axis functions to be able to mirror around one or more axis.
    Is mirror editing planned ?

About the tower video tutorial , it would be nice when we extrude or offset some edges it automatically makes connecting edges like it is done in Blender for example.

It would be a big time saver as you can select any individuals faces and simply extrude them.

It is planned some UV viewer with UV points and faces editing, and some Unwrap functionnality also ? This is usefull when modeling props or stuff that is not architecture.

Can we export what we have modeled in Unity as Obj or FBX file to use it on another software like a modeler or others like Substance Painter ?

I think you can, but as you are using Unity software, the licensing applies to all models revenue you are selling that have been made in Unity.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  44. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Thank you for the info regarding cloud storage and distribution of models created with the Mesh Maker programs. If you have the contact details of a third party company that offers this service then please send me an email to support@meshmaker.com and I will check them out.

45. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi ZenGarden,

Thank you for the detailed questions regarding Level Editor and I will do my best to answer each point.

The mirror feature is certainly on the todo list, there is a button reserved on the GUI for this already but not implemented yet. I also think it would be an easy step to add the additional edges when preforming an offset which would save a lot of time, as in the case of the tower in the video.

I have had it in mind to add a full UV mapping/unwrapping utility for a long time. It will most likely be a standalone program that could be used with the models created with Level Editor, the other utilities, as well as models imported into Unity from other programs. This would be a more flexible solution than binding it to the one program.

Level Editor comes with the ability to export your created prefabs to the OBJ format, you will find it on the Export page from the drop down toolbar. Another utility I will work on in time is an FBX exporter, but a few of these are already available on the store and are relatively inexpensive, so I don't feel there is a great need to incorporate one at the moment.

Any models, prefabs or meshes that you create with any of the Mesh Maker tools are your own, to do with as you wish. They are royalty free and can be used for any legal purpose permitted by law, which includes selling them commercially through any medium.

Thanks again for your interest in the Level Editor program. After eight months in development I have had to take some time to update the other programs, including the new look GUIs, and will be releasing a few new tools that I have in the works. I am looking forward to getting back to finish adding the new features, while making it faster and more robust.

Best regards,
    Alan

hopeful likes this.
  46. zenGarden

zenGarden

If it will be included with Level Editor package to have some complete product why not.

I agree, but selling items made in Unity using whatever plugin, Unity revenues applies. If you use Unity Personnal with Level Editor and you sell lot of models made with the plugin and you gain over 100k , you must use Unity Pro and can't use Personnal Edition any more as you earned above 100k selling models made with Unity Personnal.
    Whatever you sell models or games , if you are using Unity the revenue applies.

47. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Once the code is written it should be fairly easy to incorporate it in Level Editor as well, so as you say, why not!

I have been all over the Unity FAQ, TOS and EULA and cannot find reference to a ruling on models created using third party tools in Unity. There needs to be a clear distinction between a game created with Unity or a model made in Unity, so perhaps you are right, but the possibility of creating a model that generates over 100k in revenue is so remote that I feel I can safely say it is yours to do with as you wish. If it wasn't I'd certainly have to up my prices :)

48. dreb4o

dreb4o

I do not think that unity will understand how I made model
    there is no way to determine the origin of the model
    from what I've seen in the store has packages that it is not clear where they came from (but that's not important)
    I will hardly make models and sell(I am very lazy)
    such a possibility is a big jump for all
    1.may increase significantly packages in stores(it means more competition and lower prices)
    2.I do not mind unity to take money from each package(part of the revenues come from a store)
    3.no problem and creator of meshmaker take procent(he has created editor)
    4.if I do 100k I'll buy Unity Pro and what remains will be spent on whores and cocaine

49. zenGarden

zenGarden

@MediaGiant
    There is some very usefull modeling features i would like to see appear :
    - Knife , to cut from one edge to another, more complex use the knife to cut any shape inside a quad.
    - Select edge or face loops : you select some edge and it can select all faces or edges loops
    - Weld vertices (to center position of all selected vertices , or weld all to last selected vertice)
    - Object Arrays on some X,Z plane : you select a mesh, enter the number you want on X,Z and the spacing and it will create an array of the same object.
    - Radial Array : as above , you just choose a center point , the number of objects, the spacing and the distance from the center and it will create an array of objects oriented towards the center
    - Some transparency mode : backwards faces are visible
    - circle and rectangle selections : you keep mouse down and move the circle to select faces.
    - Select connected faces mode : each time you click a face anywhere it will select all connected faces, usefull when a model has separated meshes and you need to quickly select them.
    - Layers and ability to show/hide/Select them : that will contain groups of faces , it can be usefull for example to have a roof layer, some walls layer , and some basement layer.
    - Bezier edges path : and the ability to extrude the edges or extrude another edges shape along that curve

We could add infinite features, but i think those are what makes something some very complete modeler.
    These are only ideas, this is not a request and i don't have purchased the plugin (until it will get some mirror mode and automatic edges creation lol).

50. JOKaija

JOKaija

Brrrrb... Doesn't work with Unity 5.6.0f3

Full of errors like:

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. MeshMakerNamespace.GUIBehaviour.UpdateGUIMenu (UnityEditor.SceneView sceneView)
    3. MeshMaker.OnSceneGUI (UnityEditor.SceneView sceneView)
    4. UnityEditor.SceneView.CallOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:2397)
    5. UnityEditor.SceneView.HandleSelectionAndOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1715)
    6. UnityEditor.SceneView.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1553)
    7. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)