Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Mesh Maker - The Modeling & Editing Collection

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MediaGiant, Oct 11, 2013.

1. RavenMikal

RavenMikal

UNFORGIVABLE!!!! YOU HAVE RESPONSIBILITIES! :eek:!!! *duh duh duh!!!*

lol, honestly, I take the fact that they're being developed as all good news ^_^

Having just relocated 1000 miles from home and a rough landing thats just wearing off 2 months later, I sympathize, and hope all is either going well, or at least gets continually better...

Raven

can you upload a video so we can see whats happening when your trying? I've used it a few times, and haven't had that issue, so I'm curious as to weather or not I'm fully appreciating whats happening... o_O

2. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Thanks so much docsavage, RavenMikal and hopeful. You guys are awesome! Hoping you are getting better all the time too RavenMikal.

docsavage likes this.
  3. WarpBubble

WarpBubble

Thanks for your reply, sounds good! I was attempting to get a Facebook style cube-mapped 360 video to be mapped correctly to an inverted cube, which is why I needed exact accuracy for my UV adjustments per face.

4. hike1

hike1

Is it possible to weld verts and change wrong textures?

Attached Files:

5. RavenMikal

RavenMikal

Huh...I wouldn't think being a cube it would be that particular, but not seeing it, I could totally be wrong about that...lol

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/457752/how-to-assign-uv-coordinates-to-arbitrary-mesh.html

That might help do it manually.... <_< Not the easiest method, but being your using a cube, it shouldn't be to bad? lol

Welding them, I'm not sure, but if you separate them you can set whatever texture you want to them...if no one else has responded by tomorrow I'll try to do it and get back to you.... =p

6. hike1

hike1

Attached Files:

7. hike1

hike1

Has anyone tried out the Prefab Painter? I looked at the video, might be useful for adding furniture, etc,
    to terrains and dungeons.

8. hike1

hike1

It works, took a while to get the 'max .01' entered.

Attached Files:

9. hike1

hike1

Except you can't move your barrels after Combining them, I believe it's because these are supposed to have
    rigidbodies, haven't tried generic meshes.

Attached Files:

10. hike1

hike1

Actually, the parent object will move all of them at once. Is there a way to save my group of prefabs? I have to delete the
    same default 8, add my own, every time I run it.

11. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi, I'm back! Sorry for not responding hike1 but I didn't get a notification from the forum. I'll try to answer your questions in the next post.

The latest news is that Mesh Editor v1.4 is now ready. I've just uploaded the video for it which demonstrates all of the new features and changes.

Added the following new features:
    Edge Splitting
    Hole Filling
    Individual UV Editing
    Procedural Geometry
    Modify Normals
    Weld Selected Vertices/Edges/Triangles
    Un-Weld Selected Vertices/Edges/Triangles
    Join Vertices
    Join Edges
    Check For Invalid Vertices and Zero Area Triangles
    Add OBJ Export Function
    Custom Skins

Updated the following features:
    Rotate/Translate Pivot Point Handles
    Snap To Grid
    Update the selection when switching coincident vertices/edges
    Fixed coincident edge selection
    Changed the extrude hotkey from Shift to Ctrl+Shift
    Fixed edge deselection when Coincident is off
    Added UV and Normal colors to saved settings

I'll submit the package now so the new version should be ready for you to download by next week :)

RavenMikal likes this.
  12. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

The new version of Mesh Editor can now weld and un-weld selected vertices, edges and triangles. To change a wrong texture you can select the triangles and use either Mesh Editor or Mesh Cutter to create a new submesh, you can then apply the texture you want to them. A new feature I'm working on will give you the ability to merge submeshes and move the selected triangles to any submesh in the model.

Glad it works for you. And sorry, some of those settings are hard to click on but I've had to cram a lot of features into that tiny area. It will be redesigned.

I'm not sure if you found this already but at the top of the second window you can click on the buttons to save and load your custom brushes to file.

I hope these answer your questions, if not please let us know here or you can write to me at support@meshmaker.com for more assistance.

hopeful likes this.
  13. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi WarpBubble, sorry I missed your reply. I didn't do the precise positioning justice in the video but just to let you know that the next version of Mesh Editor will do exactly what you want. You can now set the exact position, rotation and scale you want for textures too.

This was long overdue and I'm just happy it works so well, I hope you agree when the update is available on the asset store. Thanks for stepping into the breach there RavenMikal ;)

recon0303, Adrad and docsavage like this.
  14. docsavage

docsavage

Top notch @MediaGiant. One of the bargains of the asset store.:)

hopeful likes this.
  15. RavenMikal

RavenMikal

O_O!!!! hellz yea! Totally worth the wait!!!
    I've been avoiding learning Blender and Gmax like the plague, and you sir, have saved me from that horrible fate...lol

16. hike1

hike1

17. docsavage

docsavage

I love blender and the more I use/learn it the more I like it but Meshmaker has proved itself more than useful many times while I've been prototyping. It also allows easy fixes in the editor which can be especially useful when you have an asset where the textures are locked somehow and render the asset unfixable. Really good bit of kit. To me blender is a full on manufacturing plant and meshmaker is a great garage full of useful tools.

18. hike1

hike1

I tried the new version, some of the 3d painter thumbnails aren't showing, they appear in scene though. It looks like
    I'll have to rotate the jug and the nobiax chest.

Attached Files:

19. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi Guys, thank you very much for your inspirational comments and feedback.

The latest update of Mesh Maker is now ready. With this release there is improved support for Unity 5.x and for the Mac. While I tried to continue support for Unity 4.x for as long as possible, it has now become unmanageable due to the major differences between the two versions. All of the programs that use a hotkey now check for both the Ctrl and Command key by default as well as the custom hotkey.

The main focus of this update has been to add many of the most requested features for Mesh Editor. Below I list all of the new features and major changes to this increasingly powerful application.

Mesh Tools and Mesh Painter now use the Ctrl/Command key as the default hotkey and use the left mouse button to edit and paint meshes.

The list of new features and improvements to Mesh Editor include:
    Added: Edge Splitting
    Added: Triangle/Hole Filling
    Added: Individual UV Editing
    Added: Procedural Geometry - Basic 2D/3D Shapes
    Added: Modify Normals
    Added: Weld Selected Vertices/Edges/Triangles
    Added: Un-Weld Selected Vertices/Edges/Triangles
    Added: Join Vertices
    Added: Join Edges
    Added: Check For Unused Vertices and Zero Area Triangles
    Added: Dedicated OBJ Export Function
    Added: Rotate/Translate pivot point handles
    Added: UV and Normal colors to saved settings
    Added: Custom Skins - Check MeshMaker.com for more information on this
    Fixed: Snap To Grid (Removed check boxes and changed to current axis handle only)
    Fixed: Update selection when switching between unique and coincident vertices/edges
    Fixed: Edge selection/deselection when Coincident is off
    Fixed: Changed the extrude key combination from Shift to Ctrl+Shift to avoid creating unwanted edges and triangles when deselecting

Thanks again you for your great support while we continue to improve these tools and work to add new programs to the collection.

Best regards,
    Alan

docsavage, hopeful and RavenMikal like this.
  20. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

I've seen some prefabs which fail to produce a thumbnail in the past. The program is using Unity functions to produce these so I will have to do some more testing to find out the reason.

It looks like the coming Unity 5.4 has fixed a lot of bugs so it will be interesting to see how it behaves when it is released in June.

21. RavenMikal

RavenMikal

Blender may have a half ton of selling points, but as many different disciplines is involved in making a game, I can burn hours mastering blender, or I can spend that time developing. <_< So...yea. No...lol!

All the time ^_^, Quite the extensive update, no wonder it took so long! Worth every bit of the wait.
    I'm honestly scared to try Unity 5.4, my first update to 5.x killed and massacred my UI, the last update fixed it, it will have to have some can't live without features for me to take the risk now, lol, but I look forward to hearing everyones reviews of it. =) (Yes, totally planning on using all of you as labrats =p)

docsavage likes this.
  22. hike1

hike1

23. docsavage

docsavage

Been doing some more scene tests for the game and loaded in the asset graphics pack bought of the store. The trees were only one sided meshes and transparent from ground level. This is no good to me so just imported Meshmaker opened the mesh tools and clicked on the make double sided button. Now have trees that work from all angles and because they are such low poly the extra added is not worth bothering about. All done in editor in no time.

There really should be more love for this pack.

recon0303, RavenMikal and hopeful like this.
  24. hike1

hike1

Attached Files:

25. christougher

christougher

Suggestion for Prefab Maker-
    Lets say I have a bunch of textures/sprites in my assets (because I do lol). I'd love for there to be an easy way to get all those textures into an atlas. My main use for most would be sprite/UI. Is that doable without too much fuss?

26. docsavage

docsavage

@christougher,

Not sure if it's what you mean but can't the prefab maker component do this?

It's showcased on page 2 of this thread. About half way down.

Sounds like what you need. :)

27. christougher

christougher

It seems like the only way to do this is to make a prefab with objects containing all the textures, I want to simply select a bunch of textures assets to make an atlas

28. docsavage

docsavage

As far as I know if you combine the textures on something like gimp or photoshop then you will need a way to get the UVs to be mapped to the new texture sheet. It may be possible using the material uvs offset and tile settings but it would be no fun even if possible. I may be wrong but if there's another way it would be good to know.

29. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi christougher, both you and docsavage are correct, the best way to do this with the current tools would be to use Prefab Maker to combine a group of textured objects and then grab the atlas that is created by the program. However, doing this in a paint program like gimp may be easier since you are working with images and can then align them to a grid or guidelines.

30. hike1

hike1

31. docsavage

docsavage

@MediaGiant , I have never seen that done and wouldn't know what to search under. Any more info on how to do this would be greatly appreciated and useful.

thanks

32. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

33. docsavage

docsavage

Hope you get swamped with loads new customers. After the years of support/updates and new additions to the pack you deserve it :)

34. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Thank you Doc, I enjoy creating editor extensions and giving value for money so it's a win win :)

CarpeFunSoftware and docsavage like this.
  35. wood333

wood333

I have some clothes modeled in max and exported rigged. They are separate from the character model and can be attached by various programs at run time. Problem is, some are single sided mesh. Can I convert them to double sided without losing the rigging/skinning? So far, I am able to convert them to double sided, but I lost the rigging/skinning info.

36. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

It depends on which program you use. If you are using Mesh Editor instead of Mesh Tools (which I certainly recommend for this task) it works with skinned meshes and preserves the bindposes, bones and boneweights. To do this in Mesh Editor you would go into triangle mode, select all triangles and click on the double sided button. It might be that there is some other factor but It was tested thoroughly and works with the Unity Chan model.

37. wood333

wood333

This time I used Mesh Tools, simply selected the mesh and applied 2 sided, which seemed to work. The inside of the coat became visible. But, when I dragged the item out to become a prefab, the Bip01 lost its hierarchy contents.

In scene:

InScene.JPG

Out as Prefab in Project Tab:

OutAsPrefab.JPG

Bip01 structure gone?

38. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

When using the two sided feature it is necessary to select the child object with the mesh you want to work on. Perhaps it is being called on the parent instead and upsetting the hierarchy.

The tools really only change the mesh itself, the difference being that the Mesh Editor handles skinned meshes and saves them to a copy of the original mesh, so it is necessary to overwrite the original yourself if you are happy with the results. Mesh Tools changes the original mesh so this step isn't required but can be a problem as the original mesh is lost.

I'm sure there is a logical reason for this and I'd be happy to have a look if you want to send me the file at support@meshmaker.com.

39. recon0303

recon0303

Can you add our own walls, roofs etc from a 3d program, then use the construction tool to make the building?

So can any shape me imported into this at all?? Or is there just an export??

PS: I like how you can add double sides to objects very useful. I may just pick this tool up even though I own Maya, Modo , I like tools in Unity cuts down on development time.

40. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi recon0303, the Construction program was designed to allow you to use your own features like windows, doors, air conditioners.The program takes the feature, calculates the convex outline of the shape and then carves the wall to fit the feature. It took a lot of work to add this feature and it can take a bit of time to learn the process but once you get it then you can create some very complex buildings.

If you have a wall prefab that would fit your building scale then you can use the Fence mode to use that wall instead of the ones created by the program. You can certainly leave the roof off the design and add your own roof after finalizing/exporting the design. It also includes tools to make adding prefabs like furniture and plants a breeze.

41. Stranger-Games

Stranger-Games

Hi, mesh cutter is working great, but with one mesh it gives me this error.

42. wood333

wood333

Turns out Mesh Maker was working fine, and I had the correct procedure. It is an idiosyncrasy of Unity3d that the Bip rigging is revealed under the scene Hierarchy tab, but not in the Project folder. The rigging was there all the time, but I had to pull it back into the Hierarchy tab and run an animation to confirm everything was present and functional.

Thanks for the assistance. You have a great asset!

43. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi Hoksha, thanks for your comments. It is possible that there is a mismatch between the number of vertices and triangles which is throwing it off. It might be best to use Mesh Editor to open/lock onto this model and click on the Check button which will remove any unused vertices and zero area triangles. If this doesn't work then you can send me the model to support@meshmaker.com and I will see what is causing this.

Stranger-Games likes this.
  44. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi wood333, glad to hear you got it working. I believe I've run into this myself with skinned meshes that have multiple poses. It took a while to find them in the hierarchy but I didn't know about the difference between this and the one in the project folder. Thanks for letting us know.

45. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

And thank you to everyone that has recently purchased the Mesh Maker bundle and a big thanks to all of you that have left a review. This makes a world of difference and is very motivating.

I'm looking forward to bringing you fresh updates and adding new programs to the collection.

Best regards,
    Alan

docsavage likes this.
  46. Stranger-Games

Stranger-Games

Thank you for your reply. The problem is solved, but for future reference, when I did a 'check', it told me there is nothing wrong. But for some reason when I deleted the prefab that contained the model I was trying to edit from the scene, then added the original FBX (not the model) to the scene, I was able to cut it.
    Thanks for the great package!

47. RavenMikal

RavenMikal

A suggestion from someone that has all your wonderful toys, Perhaps for your next project start a new line? Seriously, just from my experience with the toys I've played with so far, anything with your name on it, I'd get...

Possible suggestions: Controllers, Shaders...uh...AI's! yea...uh, thats really all I can think of off the top of my head your tools don't already cover <_< lol

48. inexus8

inexus8

Hi,
    I am new to unity and trying to find out the best tools for modelling. I've seen mesh maker and probuilder and I am unsure whether they address similar things or they overlap? Do people usually choose one over the other or they may use both?

Thanks.

49. RavenMikal

RavenMikal

1) overlap alot
    2) Mesh Maker tools, if you get the set, is alot more tools for alot less
    3) never used probuilder, but from what I'm seeing, I'm not seeing anything you can't do with meshmaker,
    4) Probuilder doesn't seem to have a prefab maker, or 3d brush
    5) I haven't yet come to something I couldn't do with meshmaker that probuilder would have allowed me to do...

P.S. - I'm biased, the first time I got the tools I was able to do things with models I had bought that I only dreamed were possible, and dreaded trying to do. I took a robot model and made it into a pilotable mech. And I did it in one night <_<

With that said, for a fully unbiased answer, go to their thread (I'm assuming probuilder has one) and ask the users over there about it. Then compare our answers....good luck!

50. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

I'm glad that worked for you. I'm not too sure what Unity does internally when creating a prefab but Mesh Cutter normally works fine with them. I'll make a note to suggest this should anyone else have a similar experience.

Thanks for your question inexus6. I can only go by the videos as I don't personally own ProBuilder either. From what I can see and have been told in this forum the two are compatible and complement one another. Adding to the information already given by RavenMikal, Mesh Editor is probably the closest point of overlap between the two, but my program works with native Unity meshes rather than special objects. I see ProBuilder as being a specialized tool for creating a level and allowing you to test your game mechanics, whereas Mesh Maker comes with all sorts of tools for working on and creating new models.

Mesh Maker is also dynamically growing with the addition of each new program. A couple of years ago there was only Geom which was originally released for $15. Those that purchased that one asset have received every other program at no extra cost. Raven has put forward some good suggestions and I have a whole list of ideas for new tools to add to the collection, so I'm sure you or anyone considering the purchase will be happy with the tools and the extras that are coming.

Stranger-Games likes this.