Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Mesh Maker - The Modeling & Editing Collection

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MediaGiant, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Slapworth

Slapworth

That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks very much! - Slapworth

2. Slapworth

Slapworth

Hi -

I bought Geom and I'm having trouble building a mesh. The grid in the picture below is made up of coplanar vertices (Z = 0 for all of them). When I try to build a mesh for it, I get this error:

UnityException: You can generate UVs only for meshes with vertices inited.
    UnityEditor.Unwrapping.GeneratePerTriangleUV (UnityEngine.Mesh src, UnwrapParam settings) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/InternalUtility.gen.cs:3621)
    UnityEditor.Unwrapping.GeneratePerTriangleUV (UnityEngine.Mesh src) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/InternalUtility.gen.cs:3614)
    UnityEditor.Unwrapping.GenerateSecondaryUVSet (UnityEngine.Mesh src) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/InternalUtility.gen.cs:3632)
    MeshMakerNamespace.Builder.MakeMesh (System.String meshName, Boolean capFirstGrid, Boolean capLastGrid, Boolean buildTwoSided, Int32 currentUV, Boolean smoothNormals, Boolean invertMesh, Single maxSmoothAngle, Boolean createPrefab)
    MeshMakerNamespace.Geom.OnGUI ()
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

Any idea what I might be doing wrong? I've got this error for every permutation of Build and UV Mapping settings that I've tried. I'm using Unity 5.0.1f1.

Thanks - Slapworth

Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 9.22.53 PM.png

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  3. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

I think I know what is happening here. From your picture I can see you are building a 2D mesh in the XY plane. Geom was originally made for working in the XZ plane so to the program it looks like your mesh is a line. Try building the same shape in the XZ plane and then rotate it to the XY plane in Unity. If you double click on the vertical face of an object it will orientate the grid to that vertical position.

I'll have to make a note of this in the documentation and the new set of videos for Geom. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier as the email notifying me of a new post didn't arrive in my inbox.
    Al.

4. Slapworth

Slapworth

Thanks for the response.

For what it's worth, this issue makes it harder to use Geom in a 2D scene. I can only really build this shape in XY space because it's designed to wrap around other objects arranged in the XY plane.

Is this something you'd consider making possible in a future update?

Or as a workaround, is there a way to rotate a grid after it's been built? That'd let you create an framework in XY, rotate it in XZ to build, and rotate the result back to XY.

Thanks - Slapworth

5. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

I will add the option in the next update. For now wouldn't adding a -90 degree rotation around the X axis in the inspector for the finished mesh do the trick?

In Mesh Tools, which is included in the Mesh Maker collection, there is a Move & Rotate Pivot Point tool which would have done this for you in a second but I believe you purchased Geom as a standalone app. Please write to me at support@meshmaker.com and I'll send you a voucher for a free copy of Mesh Tools. This will rotate the mesh to be permanently in the XY plane.

6. Slapworth

Slapworth

I'll try the rotation trick first and if that doesn't work, I'll take you up on the voucher offer.

Thanks very much for your help. I appreciate the support!

7. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

You're welcome. I know the rotation will look right for you and it's just a question of whether you want to make it permanent so it is easier to work with in your scene. The offer will wait if you need it. All the best with your project.
    Al.

8. WalterEspinar

WalterEspinar

Hi, work in runtime mode?

9. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Sorry, not really. Though Boolean Ops can work in runtime using the source code listed here at http://forum.meshmaker.com/index.php?topic=67.0 and one university student even used it in his project to make a Portal clone. I'm sure I will get around to adding runtime support for a few of the programs but on the whole they are designed to help developers by extending the Unity editor.

10. docsavage

docsavage

Hi Alan,

I used meshcutter to edit a mesh on an asset store bought building. It worked fantastically. REALLY useful.
    MeshMaker is really coming on great. Hope you sell bucket loads.

ZJP and hopeful like this.
  11. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Thanks doc, it means a lot to hear you say that. The Mesh Editor rebuild is coming along nicely so it should be ready in a couple of weeks.

12. docsavage

docsavage

No problem. I have just mentioned Meshmaker in the 3dforge village exteriors thread. I have been playing with the village exteriors and thought meshmakers rescale and mesh tools could open up more possibilities and it did. Just editing the prefab buildings led to some nice results and variations. Turned a single story village house into a nice size bungalow:). Only problem is the textures are not working nicely so have asked Cobus @3dforge for some pointers. 99.99% sure it's me doing something wrong. Once that is sorted the 18 or so prebuilt buildings will quickly become a lot more. A simple use of meshmaker that will provide a real organic look to a village scene with minimal fuss.

13. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

There's a lot of tools to work with and I hope you were able to tweak the textures with the Mesh Tools texture transform tool. After scaling or editing vertices it's normal to have textures that need resizing or flipping. That's why the new Mesh Editor now has the texture transform tools built in. To be followed by a full UV editor down the road. Glad to hear the village is coming to life :)

14. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi Guys & Gals,

The newest version of Mesh Editor has just been submitted which brings a lot of new features to the program. It has essentially been rebuilt from the ground up to improve the speed and reliability as well as to add more support for Mac users.

Normally the review process takes two to three days so we are hoping that it'll be available by the middle of next week.

The screenshots and video below will give you an idea of how much the program has changed since the last version.

Mesh Editor v1.0 Introduction Video​

To learn more about this program and the 10 other programs included with the Mesh Maker package you can visit...

The whole collection is still a bargain at $25 dollars, but it will be going up with the next addition, so now is the time to get it at this price.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  15. hopeful

hopeful

Does it work on skinned meshes?

16. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Not in this version. It may be added to this program at a later date, but more likely I will create a separate app for working with the SkinnedMeshRenderer as it is such a different process than working with the MeshFilter component. It will of course be a part of the Mesh Maker collection :)

17. hopeful

hopeful

I had thought that Mesh Maker didn't work with skinned meshes, but when I saw the examples of the pig and eagle, I wondered if I had misunderstood. Hence the question.

Anyway, best of luck with the products! It sounds like an impressive suite, and I've had my eye on it since the original Mesh Maker first hit the store.

18. docsavage

docsavage

Hi Alan,

It's now on the store.

Just had a really quick look at the update. Looks very nice. I like the way hovering over a button displays the hotkey. Why don't more packages do this instead of making a separate reference???? It just makes life easier.

This asset deserves to do well.

Getting a problem with Geom though. The editor window opens as a blank window and refuses to close even after closing the project. Trying to close it results in the automatic creation of about 10 gameobects in hierarchy. Gives the following console error:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    MeshMakerNamespace.Builder.StartBuilder (System.String theFrameworkType)
    MeshMakerNamespace.Geom.Initialize ()
    MeshMakerNamespace.Geom.OnGUI ()
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

Using 5.1.0f3 (yes it's probably my own fault for rushing to update:confused:) on windows 8.1

Hope no one else gets the problem.

19. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi Doc,

Thanks for the feedback on Mesh Editor. I've had three reports today of problems with Geom in Unity 5.1. I guess everyone is upgrading on the same day.

It seems to be failing on a very common function which is used to get the current sceneview called SceneView.currentDrawingSceneView

Not sure why, or if this is now obsolete, so I'm running some tests and will get back to you soon.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  20. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

I've found the problem and it appears to be related to the order in which Unity 5.1 now creates the editor windows. It appears as if the custom editor windows are now being created before the scene view window exists. Not sure why but I've found a solution and will put out an update for Unity 5.1 users today. It may take a day or two to be reviewed, but they are getting faster at the review process, so hopeful it'll be available tomorrow.

21. docsavage

docsavage

Hi Alan,

Thanks for looking into this. I think it may be a fault with 5.1 editor as opening multiple editor windows is a bit of a mess with windows being obscured by others and thus inaccessible.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  22. ZJP

ZJP

@MediaGiant
    I took the opportunity to say thank you for this great tool. :cool:

23. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

You're very welcome ZJP.

I'm just about to resubmit the updates now but have added some improvements to speed up the Mesh Cutter cut, copy and delete functions before they go up.

ZJP likes this.
  24. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

The good news it the update was quick to be approved. The new versions of Geom and Mesh Maker are now fully compatible with Unity 5.1.

The function that caused the problem is undocumented but also widely used by a lot of people. All occurrences of that function have now been replaced in all of the packs so hopefully it'll remain stable.

I have also found that the new feature for continuous baking of lightmaps causes the scene view to lag. It is most noticeable in 3D Brush when painting new prefabs to the scene. To disable this behavior you can go to Window/Lighting/Lightmaps and uncheck the box for Continuous Baking.

Thank you all for your understanding and support.

ZJP likes this.
  25. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

Thanks man, looking forward to it for a project I'm working on :) Will give it a spin tonight!

26. docsavage

docsavage

Hi Alan,

All the problems seem to have been fixed with that last update. Thanks for the quick fix.

Had a play with Mesheditor today. Really liking it. Everything seems to be running smoother and faster as well.

A quick question re Geom. I was building a tree trunk using Geom. I don't know if it is possible but I couldn't see a way of selecting more than one point at a time. I was wanting to just select all and then rescale smaller so the tree got narrower nearer the top. Is it possible to select multiple points?

Thanks

27. docsavage

docsavage

Hi Alan,

Sussed the scaling thing. Just change the x/y or whatever axis scale before adding the grid.

Thanks anyway

28. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi Kerm_Ed, docsavage,

Happy to hear all is well with the update for Unity 5.1. Mesh Editor is a beaut, if I do say so myself; a lot of power in a small package!

Regarding Geom, yes, the increments are the real strength behind this program. Once you get settled in with this concept you'll be creating new geometric shapes very easily. I do like the idea of being able to select multiple points and being able to move them together so I've noted that for the next update.

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier. If I don't clear those alerts in my profile I don't get the next email telling me there's been a new response to the thread. Cleared now :)

29. docsavage

docsavage

No problem. Didn't think you took that long to reply anyway.

This sounds good. That's one of the nice features about blender when selecting multiple vertices and scaling/transforming them etc. Be very nice to have in meshmaker.

30. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

These features are already available in Mesh Editor, which is included as part of the Mesh Maker package. Geom, Metaballs or Sculptor are there for creating new base meshes that can then be transformed into more complicated models using all of the tools available in Mesh Editor. Just to recap here is the full feature list:

- Select Individual or Multiple Vertices/Edges/Triangles
    - Vertex Move/Rotate/Scale
    - Edge Move/Rotate/Scale
    - Triangle Move/Rotate/Scale
    - Texture Move/Rotate/Scale
    - Lock/Unlock Target Object
    - Save Mesh
    - Save Prefab
    - Custom Save Paths
    - Select All
    - Clear Selected
    - Shift To Deselect
    - Invert Selected
    - Delete Triangles
    - Double Sided Triangles
    - Reverse Triangles
    - Smooth Triangles
    - Facet Triangles
    - Normalize Scale
    - Extrude Edges
    - Extrude Triangles
    - Local/World Orientation
    - Front Selection Toggle
    - Render Wireframe
    - Quick Highlights
    - Snap To Grid
    - Snap To Rotation
    - Optimize Mesh
    - Un-Weld All Vertices
    - Flip X, Y, Z Axes
    - Revert Mesh To Original
    - Set/Adjust Pivot Point
    - Auto Save Settings
    - Manual Save/Load Settings
    - Load Default Settings
    - Full Undo/Redo
    - Customizable Colors
    - Selectable Hotkey
    - Adjustable Epsilon Value
    - Max Smoothing Angle
    - Cut Meshes
    - Create Submeshes

To add these features to Geom would be duplicating the same functionality already available to purchasers of the Mesh Maker package.

The next addition that I'm working on now will allow you to combine your new models into one single model with texture atlasing. To be followed by a complete remake of Mesh Painter, which will allow you to paint your model directly in the scene view or by using the standard UV mapping technique.

31. docsavage

docsavage

That's some list there Alan. You mentioned a price increase in one of your posts and it is deserved. Especially as the overall package is becoming more and more stable and performant.

32. docsavage

docsavage

Was just looking at Isosurface again and thinking it probably has lot's of potential but it is lost on me. It's probably me being a bit thick but any example uses would be helpful Alan.

33. docsavage

docsavage

Scrap that previous post. Just made a really nice spaceship type shape by altering the scale of the created mesh but as was just messing with the equation field now have no way of reproducing it:confused:!!!!

Lessons learnt - 1.Isosurface certainly does have it's uses. 2. Don't close Isosurface until finished playing with the created mesh. 3. Make a note of equations.

Now if I could just find the equation that generates a simple branch structure then tree creation will be easy when used in conjunction with Geom.

34. ZJP

ZJP

Hi MediaGiant

What is the best way to inverse this model?.. I have only the right hand and (of course) i need the left too. No 'Mirror' option?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  35. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Yes, while experimenting with new formulas it is best to make a note or just take a screenshot. If the new shape doesn't appear within the box try enlarging the dimensions of the box or making the threshold bigger or smaller. And yes, as with most of the programs, finish the work and build your meshes before doing anything else or going into play mode. When I get back to work on the next update of Isosurface it will save its settings and the recently used formulas.

For a good source of example formulas you can try these at http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/printable.htm#CH_simple

36. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

I'd first try flipping it using the Flip Meshes tool within the Mesh Tools package or within Mesh Editor. They are basically the same except Mesh Tools can flip multiple objects at once.

ZJP likes this.
  37. docsavage

docsavage

38. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

There certainly is a lot to learn from that one page. Some of the easier functions can be plugged into Isosurface without too much fuss but the more complicated ones are beyond me. It does however show the power of mathematically defined surfaces.

It is also fun to try out new formulas or tweak existing formulas to see how the resulting shapes turn out and perhaps learn something new along the way.

In the future I'm looking to swap out the mathematical formulas and replace them with a FSM as seen in PlayMaker

39. Teo

Teo

I just purchased Mesh Maker because I wanted a decent brush tool.

Super tool for super price, keep it up mate.

Btw, possible to for brush tool to allow text input in "Spread Distance" field?

That's all for now, I may bother you with some requests if I find anything. So far all look good:)

40. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi Teo, thanks for the positive feedback. I'm not sure why the float field isn't able to take text input but I'll get that fixed soon. In the meantime you can left click on the words "Spread Distance" and move the mouse left and right to change the value.

41. Teo

Teo

Hi Alan, I am using sliders but I would like text input if possible also for "Spread Distance". Thanks for reply!:)

42. christougher

christougher

Edit: sorry I figured this out on my own, the problem was not with the submesh but was that the material itself did not have a prefab saved so the prefab couldn't apply it. I've found that this has been repeat problem that when I adjust meshes that there is no prefab of that particular mesh so prefabs of the game object will be missing a mesh. Of course there is the handy save mesh tool which works great to remedy this. All in all your tools are mega life savers!!! Love them.

Hi, got your Mesh Maker bundle a while ago and I think it is fantastic. It's really made some free models useable whereas before they were just junk. I've run into a few problems though. Right now I have a mesh that I added a submesh to (Mesh Editor>Split Mesh>Create Submesh) and then added a different shader to the submesh and that works great, however when I save that object to a prefab the second shader is nowhere to be found and simply shows up as pink. Not sure how to go about fixing this. Any ideas?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  43. Teo

Teo

Hi Alan, I have a small request if possible. I would like for 3D Brush tool to can random "Position Offset" on Y, with a slider like Scale one, for a selected prefab.

Thanks in advance!

44. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hello all, I was sidetracked putting the finishing touches on the latest addition. Thankfully it's complete now and has been submitted for review :) See the next post for more info...

Glad to hear you found the save mesh option did the trick. Mesh Cutter and Mesh Editor do a lot of changes to the meshes and ideally I would like to save them with every change. But it would be impractical to save the mesh to the file with every movement of a vertex, especially on large meshes, so the solution was to provide the Save Mesh to Asset feature so that you can save the mesh when you are happy with the results. Both of these programs have just been updated and now use a standard save file dialog so you'll be able to change the name and location when locking onto an object.

Certainly, that shouldn't be too difficult. I'm also going to add a new feature for painting prefabs "in the air" so that you can quickly place objects like asteroids and these will need a random position in all three directions.

Sorry I didn't get back to you guys earlier but I didn't get an email notifying me of any new posts. I promise to be a good boy from now on and pop in to check for new posts the old fashioned way.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  45. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

The next addition to the collection has now been submitted for review. It is called Prefab Maker and it allows you to quickly combine objects/prefabs, atlas the textures and create a new prefab with just a few clicks.

You can learn more about the program from the following video...

Prefab Maker Introduction Video​

The Mesh Maker collection now contains 12 programs and with your support there will be many new programs to come. As more and more programs are added the price must naturally increase but if you purchase Mesh Maker now you will get all future additions at the current price.

The next major update is a full rewrite of the Mesh Painter program to include UV unwrapping & editing, with some basic photoshop like tools for painting and cropping in 2D, as well as a full 3D paint mode in the scene view. I'd also like to do something with projected textures.

I may release a couple of smaller programs that I have in mind so I won't be gone too long. Thank you all for your support.
    -Al

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  46. Teo

Teo

Thanks for update Alan, this looks better and better:)

47. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

That's the goal :) Many thanks for your support!

48. Duffer123

Duffer123

@MediaGiant ,

How goes this asset? You were talking about creating a sample scene (a smithy or similar) and also more on CSG and union of different meshes etc?

49. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi Duffer123, it's all going well.

The top three requests were mesh combine, UV mapping and runtime/reliable CSG. The first request is now done, and as you'll see, it features the basics of texture handling (move, rotate, scale, zoom) which are prerequisites for any UV mapping program, so we've already got a head start on the second request. I've also collected three new sources for a full rewrite of the CSG program so that shouldn't be too far behind.

Another request is for full editing of skinned meshes, but why stop there when we can do animation as well. I'm saving the demo scene until we have a decent UV mapping program, but it should look a lot nicer with the Unity 5 lighting model.

50. Teo

Teo

Alan, I am still waiting for Assets store new version to show up to try new Prefab Maker.

However, for selecting prefabs in Prefab Maker, will be nice if you can made a feature to use occlusion culling data and if user wants to combine a full sector by sector based on visibility culling. I mean, this will top everything:)