Search Unity

Mesh Maker - The Modeling & Editing Collection

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MediaGiant, Oct 11, 2013.

1. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi Roka, I am using 2019.1.0f2 as well and the programs are working in my tests. Could you please try importing the program into a new project to see if it is possibly a conflict with another application.

In the last update I refreshed all the meta data files to prevent Unity from installing them into the same folder, but if you have an older version of one of my programs then this may be causing the window to appear blank. If this is the case then the solution is to copy the whole Mesh Cutter folder from the new project into your working project and you should find that the programs work fine together.

I have had an email from a customer who had a problem where the programs were having trouble reading their settings files (.xml type) and were throwing an error reading the values. This appears to be caused by a regional issue which affects some number types being read incorrectly using XML. Are you using a different language to English or other configuration that may be causing a problem? There is a forum post talking about this issue here at https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8348317/why-receive-formatexception-on-valid-double-input and a workaround here at https://support.microsoft.com/en-in...curs-when-attempting-to-convert-a-numeric-str

I am working towards an update for the end of May to support some now obsolete methods in Unity and will try to remedy the regional problem as well as a few other fixes.

I hope these suggestions help fix the problem but if you find that the problem persists then please write to me at support@meshmaker.com and I'll do my best to help.

2. TrevSheg

TrevSheg

Just to be certain this can be used only to make games not sell assets? It's the best idea ever to combine the work together by the way. Going to test it more now.

3. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi KingMidasGames, thanks for your feedback. Anything you create is your own work, so you can certainly make assets using these programs to sell on the store. :)

4. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi Folks,

Just to let you know that the next update will be uploaded in a few days. The main reason for the update is to add support for editing models with more than 64k vertices. There were also a few Unity methods that are about to become obsolete so I have replaced those as well. I will keep the version for Unity 5.6 and release two new versions for Unity LTS 2017.4.27f1 and for Unity 2019.1.0f2.

I know it has been a while since the last release but overall the programs have held up well with the number of changes being introduced by Unity. I have used this time to work on and test other ideas such as voxel engines, terrain editing and many small projects. Thank you all for your patience and understanding.

5. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Sorry for not getting back sooner but a few issues have come up and I have had to delay the updates. Some personal problems and some technical mean that I don't have as much time to dedicate to this project, but I will try to get the updates out as soon as possible. Fortunately the programs are in a very stable state and I think it is best not to risk a major update at this time. I also hope to find time to add to the collection as soon as things settle down. Thank you.

docsavage, Akshara and JBR-games like this.
  6. BradZoob

BradZoob

Oh weird, I just sent you an email about the 16bit limit in Prefab Maker and then found this post lol.

7. MrG

MrG

Any update on the future of this package?

8. MarioRuiz

MarioRuiz

Hi @MediaGiant I just got mesh maker, I'm trying to get some LOD's done in 2019.2.12 and I'm just getting the same base mesh on all lods, no decimation whatsoever, is there a latest version that's not up in the store which is compatible with 2019.2 ? mesh combining and mesh editing also won't work properly it seems.

9. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi all, sorry for the lack of updates but all software goes through a crisis now and again, as do we. I'll respond to the above question in the next post but I thought I should explain what is happening in detail.

Sometime around version 2019.2.x Unity made some major changes to their internal editor code. These programs rely heavily on this code, as do most extensions for Unity, but I found that these recent changes broke many of the basic functions for reading the mouse, rending primitives like lines and spheres, among many others. I tried to bring this up on the developers forum but the post was locked and the only response was a suggestion to contact support. At the time I hoped that a new update would rectify the many issues and I could update as usual. Unfortunately this didn't happen, and then to add insult to injury, they dropped support for my preferred compiler, MonoDevelop (https://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2018/01/08/Unity-Drops-MonoDevelop-Support.aspx). This was a big shock as changing compilers is always a big undertaking. I could have just switched to Visual Studio but I decided to use JetBrains Rider which works well. So technically I can go through the code to resolve the many problems, but after a year or two of inactivity on a project you tend to go through the dreaded stage of not being able to face the enormity of the task, being a solo developer and all. Keeping 16 programs up to date with all the different versions of Unity coming out, plus the additional work of changing all of the support media, it all became a bit of a nightmare. Another factor was that, after the major changes to the Asset Store, the sales dropped off significantly so there was less reason to do this much work for what is less than a regular wage, it wasn't that high to begin with.

I don't know if I will continue working on these programs, or even with Unity again. I do apologize for the state of things at the moment and I will leave the programs as they are for now, and I promise I will make the changes to the asset store pages to reflect this. I may get a second wind and decide to continue at a later date, I just don't know, and I feel this is the best place to leave the programs for now. I will continue to support the programs via support@meshmaker.com for versions of Unity between 5.5.0 and 2019.2.x.

We had a good four or five years there. I would like to thank everyone for their purchases and kind feedback, I would also like to thank the Unity team for all their help and support over the years. I am very grateful to have been included in many of the sales which really helped pay the bills and keep me motivated.

I would like to leave you with something though so I have made the following program available. It is called Transparent Window and it allows you to render Unity objects and scenes within a transparent window, clever name eh? You can interact with the objects and buttons and check their state. Pro Tip: You can also click on the cat. It has only been tested in Windows 7 using the Aero theme, but adapting it shouldn't be too hard. It builds upon the work that was kindly made available here at https://forum.unity.com/threads/sol...dow-with-opaque-contents-lwa_colorkey.323057/

Transparent Window Demo
    http://www.meshmaker.com/Demos/TransparentWindowDemo.zip

Transparent Window Source Code
    http://www.meshmaker.com/Demos/TransparentWindowSourceCode.zip

The good news is my daughter is getting married this month and my son has just had his first baby :D

Thank you for your understanding and I wish you all the best.
    - Alan

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    fairtree, Mark_01, JBR-games and 4 others like this.
  10. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hello MarioRuiz, thank you for your purchase. This problem does sound like it is related to the issues mentioned above but the level of decimation depends on the type of object and the number of triangles in the mesh. It really only helps with a couple of thousand triangles, but again it depends on the model and arrangement of the triangles. So for a car with 10 thousand polygons it should work well, but for a cityscape of thousands of cubes it will not do anything at all.
    Let me know via support@meshmaker.com if you have any other details.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  11. hopeful

hopeful

@MediaGiant - Sorry to hear about this, but I understand. Sometimes I think plugins publishers ought to aim for compliance with LTS editions.

Mark_01, JBR-games and MediaGiant like this.
  12. wood333

wood333

Thanks for your great assets. I have used them most for quick asset fixes. As I am using Unity 2018.4 the current package will continue to work for me. Sorry to hear the new asset store hurt your sales. Personally, I hate it. Wonderful to hear your kids are doing well. Does this mean we can call you Grandpa Media Giant?

Mark_01, JBR-games and MediaGiant like this.
  13. docsavage

docsavage

Great tools. You developed and supported them for a long time. Thanks for that. You proved yourself a good store dev and I'd buy tools off you any day (if I ever make another game).

Now go and enjoy being a grandad!!!!! Congratulations

MediaGiant likes this.
  14. Joe_Indie

Joe_Indie

Well, what to say...
    I came back to Unity on my main project and decided to use MeshMaker to modify prefabs, imported it and... bam, all is broken. I got many errors in the console. I got rid of the format problem in switching language to English-US but still not working. It seems it's an UI problem, for example the Mesh Editor is empty and we can't get buttons to display:

GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced.
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:179)

I'm using 2018.4.20f1 LTS version.

I never really had the opportunity to use MeshMaker in the past, just played a bit on some prototype and said to myself wow it will be very usefull on my main project. Now I need to use it I can't, I'm sad.

I understand your reason Alan. I'm like... tired of these constantly changes and broken things in Unity.
    The problem is your tools set is still in the AssetStore and people like me will buy it and can't use it anymore.
    If you don't want to update it, well, what can I have to do ?
    I will use blender until i see. But if nothing happens it must be removed from the Store.

StevenPicard likes this.
  15. wood333

wood333

Joe_Indie said,
    I'm using 2018.4.20f1 LTS version.

Did you try support@meshmaker.com? MediaGiant said he would continue support for versions of Unity between 5.5.0 and 2019.2.x.

16. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hello Joe_Indie, this doesn't sound like it is related to the Unity version as it should work fine in 2018.4.20f1. It sounds like it is related to a conflict with another asset, possibly another of my tools, so the best way to test this would be to create a new project and do a fresh import to see if the errors disappear. If they don't please do write to me as wood333 mentions (thanks) and I will do my best to help.

17. Captain-Cutwood

Captain-Cutwood

Using Unity 2017 as a roll back, I create a simple terrain with some mild hills - then try to use 3D brush to plant various rocks and bushes. All fine it seems, except I don't seem to be able to export the terrain with the bushes. The reason I wanted to do this was to then import the terrain into Unity 2019.3.

I tried making the new prefabs folder a child of the terrain, but that also did not work for transferring.

The concept is to test various ways of using my installation of Mesh Maker to work in the older version of Unity, and then depending on which of the 16 tools thereof to take the results and import or transfer them as packages over into the Assets folder of Unity 2019. Any suggestions how to make this happen? I just want to move the results, and leave Mesh Maker where I have it installed in the compatible version of Unity. I hope I am explaining this in a way that isn't too confusing.!

Meanwhile, I guess I'll try taking a terrain from 2019 into Unity 2017, there use Mesh Maker, and try to get the changed terrain back into Unity 2019. I think that sounds reasonable, but not understanding why this is not happening for the time being.

OR - elements created with Mesh Maker in and from one scene can not be exported and put into another scene in a different version of Unity? I have been able to do this in other situations with other terrain tools.

18. MorpheusXI

MorpheusXI

Should you return to update the asset, you can always charge upgrade fee ;)

Mark_01, NathanielAH and JBR-games like this.
  19. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Hi all — I'm tearing my hair out on what seems like a simple problem, and I wonder if Mesh Maker is the answer.

I have a model (from the Asset Store, in FBX format) to which I just need to add a couple of extra bones. It's a humanoid model and it's nicely rigged already; no crimping at the shoulders etc. Such rigging is beyond the limitations of my time and skill. But adding a couple of bones, and painting the vertex weights for just those new bones, is something I could do.

The trouble is, my modeling software (Cheetah3d) is stupid and does not let me add a couple of new bones to a rig without completely rebinding the mesh to the skeleton, using my choice of two (bad) auto-weighting algorithms. So the original rigging is lost. And you would not believe how much time by now I have spent digging into alternatives. I've gone so far as to find code to import and export Collada, and started looking at how vertex weights are stored in that format so that I can either hand-edit or write some code to properly add these bones, but geez is that a verbose and obtuse format.

Is there something in Mesh Maker that will lead me out of this rabbit hole? Something that will let me add a couple of new bones without screwing up the existing vertex weights, and then either weight the new bits within Unity, or export to some format I could load into Cheetah3D?

20. hopeful

hopeful

I can't think of anything in the Mesh Maker kit that would help you with this. Maybe I'm forgetting something.

Possibly a plugin that might help for this is Skinn ...? I don't own it, but it sounds more in that wheelhouse.

21. MorpheusXI

MorpheusXI

Maybe Puppet3D? Ask the asset developer if it will help you.

22. ProjectCBR

ProjectCBR

Hi. I have an issue. How can I fix that problem? Mesh Maker does not work with it.
    Just trying to open Mesh Maker menu. When I try to start any menu have a new message about critical errors. Some menu does not work.

FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
    System.Number.ParseSingle (System.String value, System.Globalization.NumberStyles options, System.Globalization.NumberFormatInfo numfmt) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    System.Single.Parse (System.String s, System.Globalization.NumberStyles style, System.Globalization.NumberFormatInfo info) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    System.Single.Parse (System.String s) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    MeshMakerSettingsList.Load (System.String filename) (at <2c7790c082664a2e80b6e446b53c51d8>:0)
    MeshMaker.OnEnable () (at <2c7790c082664a2e80b6e446b53c51d8>:0)
    UnityEditor.EditorWindow:GetWindow(Type, Boolean, String)
    MeshMaker:ShowTheWindow()

FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
    System.Number.ParseSingle (System.String value, System.Globalization.NumberStyles options, System.Globalization.NumberFormatInfo numfmt) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    System.Single.Parse (System.String s, System.Globalization.NumberStyles style, System.Globalization.NumberFormatInfo info) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    System.Single.Parse (System.String s) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    MeshMakerSettingsList.Load (System.String filename) (at <2c7790c082664a2e80b6e446b53c51d8>:0)
    MeshMakerNamespace.InterfaceSettings.Initialize () (at <2c7790c082664a2e80b6e446b53c51d8>:0)
    MeshMakerNamespace.InterfaceSettings.OnEnable () (at <2c7790c082664a2e80b6e446b53c51d8>:0)
    UnityEditor.EditorWindow:GetWindow(Type, Boolean, String)
    MeshMaker:OnSceneGUI(SceneView)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

upload_2020-8-5_23-54-2.png

23. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi, sorry for not getting back sooner. To answer your question, the 3D Brush program uses standard 3D models to paint onto the terrain. So I would recommend creating a prefab from the models in your scene (normally in a folder called New Prefabs) by dragging this folder from your Hierarchy into your Project. Then you can save these along with your terrain using Export Package.

24. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

This appears to be caused by a regional issue which affects some number types being read incorrectly using XML. The program may be having trouble reading the settings files (.xml type) and are throwing an error reading the values. There is a forum post talking about this issue here at https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8348317/why-receive-formatexception-on-valid-double-input and a workaround here at https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/942460/system-formatexception-occurs-when-attempting-to-convert-a-numeric-str
    I hope the workaround works for you but if you have any problems please let me know.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  25. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Thanks MorpheusXI and Hopeful :D

I've been distracted with another project but I really appreciate you helping out.

JBR-games likes this.
  26. BoJustBo

BoJustBo

Anyone have a clue which of the tools still work well with newer versions of Unity? There's some real gems here that I haven't seen any alternative to.

Fibonaccov and JoeStrout like this.
  27. vertexx

vertexx

Hi,
    Been trying through Email to contact you. And through youtube.. No luck!
    I'm looking for a tool that would allow the creation of the "broken prefab" type used in destructible objects.
    This would require the separation. splitting and detaching of triangles from the original object.
    These split pieces to be seperate objects which can then have colliders and rigid bodies applied through Unity.
    The most important thing is that the detached faces much be individual objects.
    If you are still about, Alan...could you please recommend one of your tools for this. Thanks.
    Unity 2017. 2019. only at the moment.

28. vertexx

vertexx

Wouldn't hold my breath ! The developer has disappeared. Probably because these new Unity versions have upset the cart?

29. OdyseeGames

OdyseeGames

Hey Alan, I sent an email. Would you be willing to sell the rights of this asset? Depending on the price, I would be willing to purchase it and work on adjusting the code to work for future versions of Unity. And honestly, I feel that this tool is very useful and would list it for free, so I am not looking to gain anything from it. If you're interested, let me know. jon.thompson (at) odyseegames.com

Recon03, fairtree and christougher like this.
  30. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

For anyone thinking of using these tools in 2020.3, forget it. First of all it caused a whole reimport of my assets, not sure why. And secondly it didn't work. I tried Mesh Cutter, I lock the object but then can't select anything. Can't speak to the other tools but I have my doubts. If anyone managed to get it to work and this is user error, please let me know.

31. ina

ina

Does this work at runtime for decimating mesh?

32. dreb4o

dreb4o

this error comes out in 2021 lts
    Library\PackageCache\com.unity.visualscripting@1.7.8\Runtime\VisualScripting.Flow\Framework\Formula.cs(16,17): error CS0576: Namespace '<global namespace>' contains a definition conflicting with alias 'NCalc'

33. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi dreb4o, there may be another asset that is also using the same extension called NCalc in your project. It appears to be related to the Visual Scripting package but you can learn more about the extension on the GitHub page here at https://github.com/ncalc/ncalc

34. dreb4o

dreb4o

this is a completely new project clean first i put your package 2021 LTS
    in lts 2019 there is no such problem

35. dreb4o

dreb4o

ok
    this package does not work with 2020 LTS
    gives massive errors

36. GoinPlaces

GoinPlaces

Is there any chance that the PerformCSG() method works on objects that don't have vertices in the mesh but only in submeshes?