Search Unity

Mesh Maker - The Modeling & Editing Collection

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MediaGiant, Oct 11, 2013.

1. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

That is unusual. It may help to see the errors as sometimes the importer can miss a file. If you would like to write to me at support@meshmaker.com with the list of errors I'll do my best to help. That will give us a clue as to what went wrong here. During the May sale, many dozens of customers brought the program and I didn't receive a single support request, but with so many different systems and Unity configurations that isn't always the case.

2. Gray_Master

Gray_Master

in 2017.1:

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
    Parameter name: index
    System.Collections.Generic.List`1[MeshMakerNamespace.Hotkey].get_Item (Int32 index) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/List.cs:633)
    MeshMakerNamespace.LevelEditor.PowerAndLockGUI ()
    MeshMakerNamespace.LevelEditor.EditGUI ()

GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
    Parameter name: index
    System.Collections.Generic.List`1[MeshMakerNamespace.Hotkey].get_Item (Int32 index) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/List.cs:633)
    MeshMakerNamespace.LevelEditor.PowerAndLockGUI ()
    MeshMakerNamespace.LevelEditor.EditGUI ()

in 2018 more (15 errors)

3. Gray_Master

Gray_Master

ps. My Config - i3-3220 / 8gb RAM / 2Tb HDD / GTX750Ti

4. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

When I see the GUI Error this tells me that there might be a problem with the layout. This can leave a window open, but stuck, even after closing and re-opening Unity. If you click on the Layout button at the top right of the Unity window could you then click on the Revert Factory Settings option. This will reset the layout of the windows and also clear the memory of the window positions and states. If all goes well the program should start afterwards.

5. Gray_Master

Gray_Master

i doing this but this is not help - this is gluks (glitches/bugs)

6. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Thanks for trying that, it's a good tip to know when a window becomes unresponsive. As you are in a new project this is all very strange behavior. I'm running the programs in 2018.1.0b4 here and cannot replicate the problem. If you would like to screenshare via Discord or Skype we can do that, or if you find the program unusable then you can send me your invoice number and I'll contact the store to initiate a refund on your behalf. Please let me know what you would like to do.

7. Gray_Master

Gray_Master

My Discord Gray_Master#9294
    You really in 2018.1.0b4 - not 2018.2.0b4 ? becouse in 2018.1.0f2 this not work too

8. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

I'm installing 2018.1.0f2 now so that would be the latest version. Later I'll try the cutting edge beta version and test again. I'll see you on Discord.

9. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Thank you for the call. Glad to see it was working in 2018.1.0f2 as that is the latest version of Unity. Still not sure where the problem is with earlier versions in your case, but I'll continue to look into the differences.

10. Gray_Master

Gray_Master

Thank You too for help with my problem. May be i not correct importing assets to my project. Good Luck in deals.

11. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

You're welcome Max, glad that you are up and running again. If you would be so kind to change your review to 5 stars that would be fantastic. Thank you.

12. Gray_Master

Gray_Master

it's in Asset Page? Success! (and add PostScriptum)

13. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Many thanks, I like the title. I wish you all the best with your project!

14. Gray_Master

Gray_Master

Thanks Again

15. Andres_Moreno

Andres_Moreno

Hello, I want to ask something about a small detail on this packages, specifically the Construction asset.
    Does this tools work only inside the Unity editor or there is some way to use them added in a final game build?
    I believe those are editor only supported but I wanted to ask just to be sure.

Thanks for your answer

16. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi Andres, thank you for your interest in Construction. At the moment the program only works in the Unity editor. There are no runtime features available, but of course the buildings and prefabs that it creates can be used in your game and with instancing you can quickly populate a city with them. I hope this helps answer your question.

17. Pinkuboxu

Pinkuboxu

Any thing I make in blender doesn't work with prefab maker. Here is an example. When I use prefab maker, I get these results. The original is on the left and the prefab is on the right. hizzyfizz.jpg
    Am I doing something wrong? I've re-imported the whole mesh maker asset and tried again... it does seem to be different each time I import the asset but I need it to look as it does on the left.

18. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi Pinkuboxu, thank you for using Mesh Maker. I believe this is due to the textures repeating across the faces. If you ensure that the UV coordinates are within the range of (0, 1) then Prefab Maker will be able to remap them. At the moment there is no easy way to create an atlas with tiled textures without degrading their resolution within the atlas.

19. Pinkuboxu

Pinkuboxu

This does make it harder for the artist to scale textures over the geometry using seamless textures. When Blender does it's Mapping it goes outside the bounds. At least in the way that they model and set up their UVs, I assume that's kind of the point of having seamless textures is that they repeat outside of the bounds and that it is convenient. Hopefully you can add a recalculation to Prefab Maker to help with that sometime. We'll try to figure out an elegant and fast way to fix this by hand.

20. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

I'd certainly like to find a solution, short of shrinking the original and repeating it in the atlas. Splitting the original triangles and creating new ones with new UVs comes to mind but it would be a complicated process. Thanks for your understanding but remember that you can edit the UV coordinates directly with the Mesh Editor program so perhaps that can help clean up the new model.

21. JoJa15

JoJa15

With the Prefab painter is it possible to set a random rotation angle limit? So for example say I want to paint a tree with random rotation on the X axis of +/- 5 degrees, on the Z axis +/-5 degrees, and on the Y axis 0-360 degrees?

Also does the slope limiter only work on terrain objects or can it work on mesh objects too? For example say I have a mesh object that I place in a level that I want to paint objects on but only at certain angles.

I really like a lot of the features of the tool like the shape painting and confining painting to certain shapes. The tapering is nice too. I just need the above features and want to make sure they are supported before purchasing.

Thank you for the help!

22. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi JoJa15, while it is possible to select one or all axes to randomly rotate around it doesn't have limits for the rotations. It will choose a random rotation between 0-360 for all selected axes.

The steepness value really only works for terrain painting. You can select an angle between 0-90 degrees to limit where the brush will paint but is only aware of the terrain.

Thank you for your questions. I really like your ideas, though it would take some redesigning to fit the rotation limits to the interface. I hope this helps and I thank you for your interest in 3D Brush.

23. Pinkuboxu

Pinkuboxu

I'm still having trouble with CSG. I asked you about it a long time ago but never got it to work right so I just gave up on it for a while but I'd really like to get CSG working for my project. Seems like if I do more than one subtract I get this effect, first subtract is ok, second mangles the mesh:
    temp.jpg

Often times it leaves no geometry where the crater should be. Sometimes, it can lose single verts here and there on the first cut as well. I'm just using unity's spheres but perhaps the problem is with scale? Using models exported from Blender, it simply doesn't do anything but makes a new empty model at the zero vector and doesn't deactivate the ones used. I tried both fbx and obj files.

24. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi Pinkuboxu, I couldn't find your earlier question regarding CSG but I'll do my best to help.

The first thing to try is changing the epsilon value to something smaller, like 1e-07 or 1e-09 in the options section of the program. This should help in most cases but to ensure the best results you should also perform the operations as close to the world origin as possible. If you are performing incremental cuts on the same mesh, like a drill bit cutting into a mesh for example, try using the original target object in each step, rather than setting the new object as the target for each operation. This can drastically cut down on the number of triangles produced and will help prevent the artifacts you are seeing. Spheres contain a lot of faces that are at odd angles so they are a little more difficult than simpler shapes but I hope the above suggestions are enough to solve this problem.

Regarding the use of FBX and OBJ files, please ensure that the meshes have their UV coordinates included as this will cause the program to fail if they are missing. To help with this I have created a small program that can add the UV coordinates to the mesh here.

I hope this helps you get the most out of the program.

BradZoob and Mark_01 like this.
  25. cricketspike

cricketspike

Hello I'm having an issue where the runtime CSG script is placed in the editor folder and considered an editor script so I can't call it or add it to my scene, if I try to move it out it also wont run as it can no longer find MeshMakerNamespace.

edit: extracting the source code from the rar seemed to fix the issue

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  26. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi Cricketspike, thanks for letting me know you found the file called Source Code.rar. This will allow you to add the code with your own namespace or tweak it to your own liking.

27. Pinkuboxu

Pinkuboxu

I think we actually discussed it over email, but thank you for the tips. I didn't see the caveats about the UV in the help file so that's probably the problem since I'm just prototyping so I didn't think to even make basic UV for my prototype objects. I'm physically hurling a bunch of hand made brushes that represent asteroids at a base planet shape at runtime to generate planets, kind of like simulated asteroid impacts without the complected astrophysics and instead of generating polar height maps or what not... at least that was the original idea, but I may need an alternative approach, as long as it's something unique is what I was after. What I can do is lay all the brushes down on the surface rotated randomly at certain locations and I think I can bake their meshes together and then use one operation for the subtract but I also want one to add so I would still need two operations and two steps from the original mesh in the final product.

If I want the player to have the option of changing it I can do somewhat like was done in the Galactic Adventures pack of Spore and save the brushes they use then bake them but keep them around but I see this getting messy... Sorry I'm digressing. Thank you again.

MediaGiant likes this.
  28. cricketspike

cricketspike

I had an exception occur on any imported meshes. The cause was that mesh.uv and mesh.colors are returning empty lists rather than null which you are checking for rather than length==0, causing index out of range exceptions in CSG_Model.cs. This may be a change in the new verions of Unity, or maybe you have to check for both, not sure, but the change did fix it for me.

MediaGiant likes this.
  29. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Thanks Pinkuboxu and Cricketspike, I appreciate you guys letting me know that you found a solution to your problems. I do need to put out a small update to the program to add this to the documentation, which I'll try to do soon. I've been taking some time off this year to regroup before getting back into it as I was starting to get the asset submission blues. CSG has always been a bit iffy, and I'm still looking for a better solution, but decided it was worth having it in the collection as there were few alternatives. Adding the source code also helps with these types of issues so thanks again for your support and understanding.

30. cricketspike

cricketspike

No problem MediaGiant. I've tried developing my own plugin before so I realize upkeep is not easy.

One last really weird error (that took me forever to figure out) was that certain mesh pairs at certain relative positions would cause Unity to crash if they are scaled large enough, I was able to get around this by parenting them to an object, shrinking that object and resetting them back to their old transforms after.

31. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Thanks Cricketspike. I'm glad to hear you found a solution that works in this case. I would recommend something similar when dealing with scaling issues and it will help others to know how you achieved this.

I'm still working on a few projects so I'm looking forward to adding to the collection when I have something new ready.

32. Emperor

Emperor

Hi MediaGiant, I'm looking for an asset that can do something specific, please let me know if this can be easily done with your tools:

I want to be able to record the changes I do to a mesh in the editor and then apply those changes at runtime to an auto generated mesh that is almost identical to the mesh I edited. Basically, in my project, I have human head meshes that have random front faces generated at run-time but the rest of the head mesh is the same across all generated models. I'd just like an easy way to manually change a template head in the editor and apply the changes to some generated heads at run-time. For example, I'd like to remove the ears of the template in the editor, record the changes, and apply those same changes to the auto generated heads at run-time.

Seems like this might be possible with mesh editor but I'd like confirmation.

btw, I bought mesh cutter a while back and it's great! Thanks a lot!

33. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hello Emperor, thank you for checking whether this type of feature is implemented in Mesh Editor.

The Mesh Editor program isn't able to record the changes made to a mesh and apply them at runtime. It makes the changes within the Unity editor and saves them to a new mesh, which you can then use for your model or prefab.

It does sound like an interesting idea. I've actually been considering the opposite case, where a utility records an object at runtime and then allows you to take a snapshot of its current position at any time to make a new mesh from it. This could be useful for capturing the state of an object or scene while the physics are at work.

Thanks again for your question and support, glad to hear you liked the Mesh Cutter utility.

34. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Hi quick question. Can the LOD save out the various LOD meshes to a mesh asset? When I use Save Mesh it save the original, but if I want one of the other LOD meshes I can't seem to save it out. Am I missing something simple here, or is this not supported.

Thank You,
    Regards

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  35. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

That's exactly what I'm looking for too.

MediaGiant likes this.
  36. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi and thank you for your questions. Yes, you can save the LOD meshes by selecting them in the hierarchy before clicking on the Save Mesh button. Once created you will find the LOD levels under an empty game object called _LOD_ which is added to the model, these are called Level0, Level1, etc. If you click on Level0 or one of the others you will then be able to save the newly created LOD mesh to an asset in your project.

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  37. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Thank You for getting back. That works!

MediaGiant likes this.
  38. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

Hi,

Does this asset combine meshes with same material/texture without creating new atlas texture ?
    Dees this asset combine only materials into single atlas without combining meshes ( single game objects with same material/texture atlas ) ?

39. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi Moribito, Prefab Maker is the utility for combining meshes into one game object. By default it always creates an atlas from the individual materials. There isn't an option to create an atlas without combining the meshes, and while there have been some requests for such a feature, it would still require changing the UV coordinates of all of the individual objects. Sorry I don't have a tool that fits your needs but I thank you for your enquiry.

JBR-games and MoribitoMT like this.
  40. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi All, for those having a problem selecting the gizmo handles in Mesh Editor without selecting another vertex or triangle, the workaround is to hold down the shift key while moving the handles, this will do a deselect of the vertex beneath the mouse, which you don't have selected anyway.

I believe this was addressed in an earlier version of Unity, but I'll have to go back to check. With each update things change so perhaps this is a recent development.Thank you all for your support and understanding.

JBR-games likes this.
  41. NeedsLoomis

NeedsLoomis

Heya, I'm looking for a utility that can combine multiple meshes, and weld the touching vertices in the resulting mesh.

My game is built on modular parts that I can swap in and out to design different levels...but PhysX has a bug where rolling objects will catch on seams between separate colliders, meaning I have to constantly design everything in modeling software and reexport with every change.

42. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi NeedsLoomis, thank you for your question. I have a program called Prefab Maker that may do what you need. It allows you to combine meshes together into one mesh. It has been a while but I believe it also minimizes the number of vertices and they should be welded, except where submeshes are touching. The only downside is that it doesn't handle tiled textures but if this is not an issue I think it will be suitable.

43. NeedsLoomis

NeedsLoomis

Thanks for the reply, I'll take a look at it!

44. Duffer123

Duffer123

@MediaGiant ,

Does Mesh Tools save GameObjects AND Prefabs? Does it save out to .obj format? With textures? Packed or unpacked?

45. ColtonKadlecik_VitruviusVR

ColtonKadlecik_VitruviusVR

Hi @MediaGiant

We are attempting to launch our game this week and have been experiencing a weird bug that we just narrowed down. We used your mesh editor to separate the inside of the wings from the outside of a generic skinned mesh. If we remove the inside wings .asset (leave just empty skinned mesh renderer), the game loads between scenes, if we have them in the project, scenes do not load.

This is not the only mesh we used your mesh editor for but it is whats causing the problem.

Have you ever heard of this? Is there any solution to this?

Cheers,
    Colton

46. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi Duffer123, sorry for the late reply as I wasn't notified of your post. Mesh Tools can save the mesh of a gameobject and from this you can then create your own prefab. Mesh Editor and Mesh Maker can save objects to the OBJ format and in multiple formats.

47. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi Colton, thankfully I did get your email on the 27th of February and was able to respond to your question. I hope that the solutions outlined in my reply helped with your problem. If you any further questions then please let me know.

48. f0cusnnik

f0cusnnik

Hi,
    it is possible to call the plugin not from Level designer directly but from the Scene?

49. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi f0cusnnik, this may be possible using reflection in C# but I don't have any documentation on it. Please note that the program links to and uses many of the methods of UnityEditor.dll which is not available in a final build.

50. roka

roka

Hey,

@MediaGiant can you update Mesh Cutter to work on 2019.1.f2 ?
    It's not working since this version.

*Edit, after restarting the editor, the GUI error message was gone, so it's fine.

Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019