Search Unity

Mesh is partially broken when exporting animated character to Unity

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Rubyblazer, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Rubyblazer

Rubyblazer

I spend like 12h trying to export my animated character to unity and his knees are always broken. In 3ds max the model is perfect and nothing is broken. Exporting in obj seem to work but I dont have the animation. I'm using 3ds max biped. I have look only and I found nothing. I try to export my character to blender then reimport to 3ds max. I used a script to copy my skin and my model and it work in 3ds max but when exporting to unity, the knees remains broken.

This is my last solution either my mesh is corrupted or I have to remake a character.

Attached Files:

• what.jpg
      what.jpg
      File size:
      196 KB
      Views:
  2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

It looks like maybe a UV issue or another mesh popping through. Try wireframe mode to see how it compares to max. Also try exporting to fbx.

3. Rubyblazer

Rubyblazer

Thank you for your reply!

Texture is working fine in 3ds max, the model is acting normal when I play the animation. I look in 3ds max to see if there was not another object clipping and I found nothing. It look like the skin modifier break when I export my character from max to unity. I try many different way to export and the hips/knee area is still broken.

4. Rubyblazer

Rubyblazer

I discover that what is affecting my character is: the "Bone affected limit" in 3ds max is set to 4 but in unity it behave like it was set to 1

How could I change that in the engine?

5. DimitriX89

DimitriX89

Find a SkinnedMeshRenderer component that corresponds to your character mesh, then set its "Quality" parameter to 4 bones (default "Auto" never works correctly)

6. Rubyblazer

Rubyblazer

Thank you buddy for your help! This is the first time it happens to me, I think it has to do with the recent change in unity.

7. DimitriX89

DimitriX89

No problem, for me this BS was strangely common occurence