Search Unity

Question Mesh has vertices with no weight and bone assigned

Discussion in 'Animation' started by michaelday008, Mar 8, 2022.

1. michaelday008

michaelday008

I'm trying to figure out what is the best way to solve this issue I get when importing an animated inanimate object.
    The error is

ImportFBX Warnings:
    Mesh 'gate_wood' has 28 (out of 68) vertices with no weight and bone assigned (they will be assigned to bone #0 with weight 1). The list of vertices: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10 and so on...

The problem is that not having a bone assigned is intended. The object is a gate, and when the animation is played, the frame should stay in the same place, and only the doors open. Unfortunately, because of the way Unity auto-assigns the vertices to a bone, the entire frame swings with the left door.

What would I need to do in Blender to fix this? I don't have a lot of Blender animation experience, so a simple explanation for a 5 year old would be great ;)
    upload_2022-3-8_14-18-11.png
    upload_2022-3-8_14-22-15.png

2. michaelday008

michaelday008

For anyone else that has this same problem and finds this forum post in the future, I solved it by selecting all vertices that weren't part of a vertex group, and then splitting them into a separate submesh and removing all animation, vertex group, and armature modifiers from the submesh in Blender before exporting the FBX.

I'm not sure if this is a good or bad solution, but if anyone else has a better solution, please feel free to post it here.

3. lucaffo

lucaffo