Search Unity

Mesh face issues after .obj import

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by s0manyth1ngs, Feb 16, 2017.

1. s0manyth1ngs

s0manyth1ngs

I've come across an issue with some of the faces on my .obj mesh coming up as plain white after importing them. At first I thought it was a normal issue and I made sure all were facing the correct direction or unified correctly in my modeling program (Silo3D), but when I look at the other side of the face in Unity it's see through as if the normal is facing the correct direction. I've also tried re-UVing it in different ways and importing different file types (.3ds and .fbx) and the issue still persists.

I've tried a few different import options like smoothing normals and I've messed around with different shaders as well and I still can't seem to find the root of the problem.

I've dug through the forums here and the only similar issues I can find are dealing with normal import issues which I've already tried fixing. Has anyone else seen this issue occur and know how to fix it?

Thanks,
    Leif

Attached Files:

2. MSplitz-PsychoK

MSplitz-PsychoK

I still think those surface normals are facing the wrong way. Normals do not determine which side of your surface is visible, winding order does. This means your see surfaces in which the vertices are rendered clockwise from your perspective.

Your modelling program probably has the ability to both reverse normals and reverse winding order (though it may be called "reverse face" or something like that).

This seems like a good resource if my explanation wasn't enough.
    http://cmichel.io/understanding-front-faces-winding-order-and-normals/

s0manyth1ngs likes this.
  3. s0manyth1ngs

s0manyth1ngs

@Gambit-MSplitz Thanks for taking the time to reply to my issue and the extra info about normals. I had already previously tried reversing the normals in my modeling program and it didn't seem to address the issue. I've attached an image below to show what had come up. The two transparent polys circled in blue used to be that matte white like the ones to the left and I'm trying to figure out why they're all white in the first place and not the grey color which has been applied to the shader and showing up fine on the rest of the model.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  4. s0manyth1ngs

s0manyth1ngs

I'm happy to report I got this working. I ended up scaling the asset size up in my modeling program and after importing the weird white faces went away. I'm not entirely sure why the asset size was the root of the issue, maybe it had to do with the light resolution being too small. Scaling it up in Unity didn't affect it at all. None the less I'm very pleased this weird anomaly of an issue is closed.