Search Unity

Mesh Combine Wizard (Free Unity Tool & Source Code)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Gru, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Gru

Gru

Link to public repository: https://bitbucket.org/sirgru/meshcombinewizard .

What does it do?
    Running the wizard will combine all the meshes on the chosen gameObject and its children that share the same material. If there is more than 1 material in all sub-objects, separate gameObjects will be created so that each object has one mesh with one material unique in the group, and will be parented under a new object. A prefab will be created from the combined gameObject in the root of the Assets folder, where all the newly created merged meshes will be created also. The original will be set inactive in the scene and the combined gameObject will be put in its position.

How does it work?
    Put the provided script in any folder. In the top menu a new entry will appear ("E.S. Tools/Mesh Combine Wizard"). Picking this option will run the wizard. Pick the object from the scene that you wish to combine and clik Create.

Benefits?
    • Lowers the amount of draw calls, usually dramatically.
    • Does not need to draw all objects in the same batch regardless of wheter they are on screen or not, as opposed to static batching.
    • Does not compromise workflow - no need to merge modular pieces outside Unity in a 3D tool. Quick iteration time when changing the combined design.
    • Works with combined objects that have more than 64k verts, as opposed to solutions that manually set the verts and UVs.
    • Does not compromise the original object's pivot point, as opposed to similar solutions.
    Known limitations:
    • Does not support objects with multiple materials on submeshes. Such meshes should be split in an external 3D tool to have separate meshes, 1 for each submesh and material pair of the original.
    How to use:
    • Place the script in any folder called Editor.
    • Activate the tool with E.S. Tools / Mesh Combine Wizard

If you're finding this article helpful, consider our asset Dialogical on the Unity Asset store for your game dialogues.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    ZDestructor, ThinhHB, mbbs1 and 3 others like this.
  2. b4c5p4c3

b4c5p4c3

Very nice, thank you

3. CDUnityDev

CDUnityDev

Thank you for sharing this excellent tool.

4. snacktime

snacktime

Just found this today. Nice work, doesn't have the gotcha's of most other mesh combine tools.

5. Doctor06

Doctor06

This is amazing! spent a whole day looking for this! thank you so much for sharing.

6. Gru

Gru

No problem, please consider my asset Dialogical on Unity Asset store for your game dialogues.

7. teknic

teknic

Thanks for this. I modified lines 55 and 57 to include the mesh instance ID. This solves the mesh data overwrite problem when combining multiple object groups which all share the same material:

Code (CSharp):
    1.             AssetDatabase.CreateAsset(combinedMesh, "Assets/CombinedMeshes_" + combinedMesh.GetInstanceID().ToString() + "_" + materialName + ".asset");
    3.             string goName = (materialToMeshFilterList.Count > 1) ? "CombinedMeshes_" + combinedMesh.GetInstanceID().ToString() + "_" + materialName : "CombinedMeshes_" + parentOfObjectsToCombine.name;

8. Gru

Gru

No problem.
    Yes, the overwrite can happen if the asset with that name already exists in root Assets folder. I remember purposefully leaving it like that since I never leave meshes in the project root folder. I've updated the script with a similar solution.

9. peardez

peardez

Hi there. I've used your tool in my project and it has been really useful but now aparently is provoking some kind of trouble that prevents compiling. I was hoping if you could suggest somesolution for me. I'm using unity 2017.3.0f3
    Thanks in advance.

PS: The log error says:
    Assets/MeshCombineWizard.cs(2,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UnityEditor' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Assets/MeshCombineWizard.cs(5,34): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `ScriptableWizard' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Build completed with a result of 'Failed'
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+BuildMethodException: 3 errors
    at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+DefaultBuildMethods.BuildPlayer (BuildPlayerOptions options) [0x0020e] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\BuildPlayerWindowBuildMethods.cs:181
    at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.CallBuildMethods (Boolean askForBuildLocation, BuildOptions defaultBuildOptions) [0x00065] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\BuildPlayerWindowBuildMethods.cs:88
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

10. peardez

peardez

Never mind. Simply deleting the tool from the editor fixed the issue. Keep the good work. Thanks!

11. Gru

Gru

Hi @peardez , it seems you haven't placed the script in a folder called Editor. Either that or you're using the new feature called Assembly Definitions https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ScriptCompilationAssemblyDefinitionFiles.html and something is wrong with the setup on your end.

I have added the instructions at the top to clarify.

Just wanted to point out you'd get this error for any sort of editor script that is not in an Editor folder, because Unity will try to include all non-editor scripts in the build, and UnityEditor assemblies cannot be included in the build.

Thanks for reporting!
    If you're finding this article helpful, consider my asset Dialogical on for your game dialogues.

twobob likes this.
  12. zero_null

zero_null

Hello, Honestly the tool is amazing as it's free (Can't complain) but can you please tell what really happens when I select allot of objects?
    The tool creates mesh in a manner that it's connecting like thorough a line.

13. Gru

Gru

Hi zero_null,
    Not quite sure I understand the question, but it seems you're getting some kind of artifact. The combining part is handled by the call to https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Mesh.CombineMeshes.html so this part is handled by the engine. I suggest other techniques for lowering draw calls, as this can be something connected to the specific model (I see you have other non-problematic merges).

14. Dreamcube017

Dreamcube017

I tried this out and it seemed like it'd be useful, but upon running the script, it mangled the mesh.

Before:
    upload_2018-4-30_3-51-51.png

After:
    upload_2018-4-30_3-53-40.png

I don't think I did anything wrong. However, I am using Unity 2017.2. In Blender this is all one Mesh, but Unity sees it as many which is why this script could be really useful.

Thanks in advance!

15. Gru

Gru

Seems like the same problem from above. Didn't run into it in earlier versions of Unity. It is probable that there is some kind of graphics-related reason I don't know about makes Unity see it as different objects, so this way of combining is inappropriate. I guess you could try to merge submeshes in Blender.

16. omid66

omid66

@grubarec Thanks so much, it worked like a charm.

Gru likes this.
  17. bigdaddio

bigdaddio

This works great. If you have some issue where the meshes are getting mangled or making weird connections, split it up. I have things like I made a combined mesh for some intricate columns. Then I put all my columns in and combine them. So do it in steps and eventually have one mesh.

Gru and twobob like this.
  18. dienat

dienat

I tried it using several spheres and they appear connected by a mesh instead just showing the spheres without being connected
    upload_2018-9-18_18-38-5.png

19. Worldmy

Worldmy

Awesome !! Thanks of tons.:)

Gru likes this.
  20. voxelholic

voxelholic

I was just about to write the same thing but I found this and it worked perfectly! Thank you for sharing.

Gru likes this.
  21. Revisia

Revisia

Hello, this looks like a great tool. But it isn't letting me create mesh colliders from the combined mesh.

unityunity