Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.1 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Mesh Colliders as triggers not working... Work-arounds?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Sparty, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Sparty

Sparty

Hey Gang,
    I am playing around with a new game concept and need a bit of help getting it off the ground.

My game has thousands of cut out pieces of geo. Some concave, some convex. Each piece of geo is white. Once the player passes over it (triggers it), color is turned on via a script. I have this working (as you can see in the video below), by attaching a sphere collider to each piece of geo.

Here is a little video of what I have so far using sphere colliders.

The PROBLEM:
    While using sphere colliders mostly works, there are many times that it simply does not because of the odd shape of the geo. Placing multiple sphere or cube colliders per each piece of geo seems out of the question because of the amount of time that would take me. The easiest answer would be to make each piece of geo a mesh collider with trigger on, but that no longer works in unity 5 because of the latest physics engine. At least, that is what I have read and testing seems to support it. i should probably also mention that all the geo being used is planar.

Any suggestions on how I should go about doing this? It will be on a massive scale, so I really want to hammer down a clean way of doing it and am open to any suggestions.

Thanks all!

-Eric

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
unityunity