Search Unity

Mesh Collider needs transform to be marked as readable? BUG

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by TheCGMaster, Jun 30, 2016.

1. TheCGMaster

TheCGMaster

I have played my game many times! and right now it just started to make this error on the mesh colliders which means i cant play it!!!

Error : This MeshCollider requires the mesh to be marked as readable in order to be usable with the given transform.

What do i do to fix it!!!!

swanoff likes this.
  2. WillemKokke

WillemKokke

I've been getting that recently, it starts quite often after I do a build or leave the editor running overnight

Restarting unity fixes it for me.

3. Weatherstone-Studio

Weatherstone-Studio

This MeshCollider requires the mesh to be marked as readable in order to be usable with the given transform.
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

I get this error only on the Multistory Dungeons Asset after I installed the 5.4 update. It has not occurred on other asset related games. I've tried all I know to fix this including creating a new project and importing the latest version of the Multistory Dungeons Asset. Didn't help. As mentioned this error has not happened in any other game scenarios.

UPDATE: I deleted the offending meshes and replaced them with the prefabs from the asset folder that came with Multistory Dungeons. The error was specific to the meshes in the demo scene and not the prefabs in the asset folder. So the problem is fixed in my scene but something corrupted(?) or the meshes were off from the provider originally and the updated Unity build caught the difference. The scene worked fine before the 5.4 update.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  4. sonof9

sonof9

Some assets in a package I imported gave this error and others did not. I had to go into the models of the offending assets and check read/write, the click "Apply".

fatihsariopk, suasm, erberus and 9 others like this.
  5. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

Sorry for the delay guys, just noticed the problem exists for some people. I'm trying to reproduce the bug now and will keep you posted.
    @ComWorks Do you remember the names of the problematic objects? At least one name would be great to get an idea of what's going on :) Thanks.

6. JeffG

JeffG

I am getting it on

Scene: Presets old

Stair_Bottom_Decor_03 (Parent Module_14)
    Stair_Big_01 (Module_20)
    Railing_Stair_Big_02
    Railing_Stair_Big_Flat_01

7. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

@JeffG Thank you for the info! I'll try to figure out what's wrong with those prefabs. I still cannot reproduce the bug, though...

8. mafinitz

mafinitz

I just hit this problem with MSD and I also found what *I* was doing to cause it. When scaling certain prefabs by -1, I was getting this issue. Changing scale back to 1 removed the issue, and I just used the provided, already flipped prefabs.

9. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

@mafinitz Thanks! I've tried to scale several prefabs to -1 by all axis in turn, but with no effect( Can you please give me the names of the prefabs that you tried to scale? And what Unity version do you use? This info would help a lot. Thank you.
    I'm still not getting the error( Going to try the latest Unity version now (I'm on 5.3.4 at the moment).

UPDATE: Ok, I'm getting the error on Unity 5.4.0. Finally... I'll try to fix it now. Will keep you posted.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  10. Mana-Station

Mana-Station

Sorry for the delay, guys. I was able to fix the problem and uploading the fixed version right now.
    It seems like the error appears on Unity 5.4 only. If you were using an older version and updated Unity, please don't forget to update the asset too.

The error disappears when you check "Read/Wright Enabled" in the import settings for the mesh collider. If you don't want to wait for the update and fix it right now, go to 'meshes > colliders' folder, select all, check "Read/Wright Enabled" and click apply. You'll also need to do this for 'Meshes > 1.1 > Stair_Bottom_Decor_03'.

I've noticed some other errors too, they all will be fixed with the update.
    Thanks for your help and patience, guys! :)

11. EoniteUnity

EoniteUnity

Quick way to reproduce: download "The Courtyard" demo and create a project with 5.4.1f1 on OS X, then try to run the scene.

12. zakirshikhli

zakirshikhli

Exactly, Read-Write Enabled must be turn on for static meshes

13. tnqiang

tnqiang

In my scene, the reason is that some MeshFilter has an empty Mesh attached.

14. GregoryFenn

GregoryFenn

As a quick update, I'm using the semi-official Ubuntu 2018 beta build and I get this weird error with some packages, mainly the POLYGON-Western paid asset pack. I can fix it in two ways: by sniping-out the .fbx file that it is referring to and checking the box to make it read/writable, in the Model tab of Inspector, or by simply trying to play the game.

The fact that playing/building the game fixes it suggests to me that the package has some settings whereby it will check the boxes on build, as a fail-safe in case they aren't checked by default.

15. HeyBishop

HeyBishop

Sorry, where is this "Read-Write Enabled" setting found?

Felipefs likes this.
  16. JoJa15

JoJa15

@HeyBishop You can find that settings when you click on the model file in the project folder or asset view within unity . With the model file selected you will see it in the inspector view under the import settings for that model (make sure the model TAB is selected. I have included an image of what it looks like.
    import.png

17. HeyBishop

HeyBishop

MANY THANKS!

18. Ebonicus

Ebonicus

Enabling read/write is not good for mobile, it requires two versions of the mesh data to be stored. I have read that this should not be done unless the mesh will be animated or deformed with animations.

To clear this error, I make sure "import animations" is UNCHECKED on the animations tab, and keep read/write disabled in the model tab, if the mesh is a static object.

If the object has animations, read/write should be true.

io-games, Develax and HeyBishop like this.
  19. HeyBishop

HeyBishop

Fascinating @Ebonicus! Thank you for sharing this tidbit. I'm authoring for mobile VR, so if I ever get struck with performance issues, I'll uncheck everything that doesn't need to be.

Ebonicus likes this.
  20. pbrowne

pbrowne

This was the answer for me!

21. stjernerlever

stjernerlever

Yep, me too

22. stjernerlever

stjernerlever

This fixed it for me, thanks!

23. Revisia

Revisia

Thanks Fixed the issue for me!

24. bblakesley01

bblakesley01

This happens to me periodically in Unity 2019.3.0b1. Restarting Unity has fixed it so far.

25. mistergreen2016

mistergreen2016

Happening here on 2019.2.9f1
    Checking read/write on the model stopped the error.

26. Ryde_

Ryde_

Actually check the read/write then uncheck again then apply is working for me, and it's a cleaner way.

mgear likes this.
  27. unity_LeDCjIKFpgeTrA

unity_LeDCjIKFpgeTrA

1. Restart Unity (My error was solved this way)
    2. Enable Read/Write of the Mesh prefab

28. Fira-Soft

Fira-Soft

Guys, just to let you know, usually Enable Read/Write is NOT the way to go, unless you need it to be, as stated in :

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-TextureImporter.html
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Texture2D-isReadable.html
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/TextureImporter-isReadable.html

This Mesh Collider error was issued on the tracker on:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...nt-is-added-to-the-mesh-and-built-to-platform

And states that the problem is fixed on Unity 2019.3.0 (Release Canditate 5, at the time of this post, as it can be found on the change log, by issue id 1159597)

I tried it, and for new objects it's indeed working, but for my ongoing project, that was on unity 2019.2, before updating, it wasnt.

So to fix it, besides updating to unity 2019.3.5, I also needed to remove the Mesh Collider from the object and re adding it.

vama89, SamohtVII, stonstad and 2 others like this.
  29. radiantboy

radiantboy

Ive just become aware that EVERY mesh in my project is set is isReadable. The docs day this will hold 2 copies in memory and waste memory. So I went an started writing a script to process them all to set isReadable to false... then I read in the docs "Scaling a mesh with different amounts along the three axes (i.e. non-uniform scaling) requires the mesh to be readable for correct lighting.". I would say a lot of my meshes are probably scaled non uniformly in the scene (eg 1,1,2), and I have a very big project... so does this mean setting them to isReadable will break the lighting on these objects? And therefore I should not fix objects that are not uniformly scaled. How would I check this, do I need to check the model scale in the project AND also the scaling of it in the scene? if theyre all uniform like 1,1,1 or 2,2,2 then im ok to set it to isReadable = false ?

30. Fira-Soft

Fira-Soft

Are they scaled only on the scene, when placing them, or on run time, by script? As I understand it, you need both copies only on the second case, if I'm not mistaken.

31. stonstad

stonstad

Important
    -- before doing anything, read what Fira-Soft wrote above.

32. Trend86

Trend86

What about 2D Sprites? I'm getting the same issue in my 2D game... any workarounds?

33. grassdesign0

grassdesign0

I fixed it by resetting the mesh collider component of the mesh that is giving the error

Lex4art likes this.