Search Unity

mesh bounds are far off

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by DavidBVal, Sep 1, 2019.

1. DavidBVal

DavidBVal

I have a prefab (a hanging tapestry, skinned mesh + cloth) which looks fine when I open it ias a prefab in editor, and the bounds white box shows in correct position.

However when I add an instance to the scene, the bounds appear very far away, with "center" x value of 80, for instance, all three coordinates are off. I have tried to edit bounds but it doesn't seem to work for me.

This causes the instance to be away from the camera frustum when it shouldn't, so the object appears and disappears from view. Any idea of why could this happen, and how to fix it?

2. DavidBVal

DavidBVal

3. TheAlbynoRyno

TheAlbynoRyno

I had this issue with models from blender. After a lot of trial and error I found if you remove the cloth and skinned mesh renderer that's overly large (basically starting over), deselect the "Convert Units" option in the model import options and apply, make sure the instance in your scene has all transforms set to 0 and the scaling for each axis set to 1, and then add the cloth it should come out correctly. For me it was the scaling to 100 that was messing it up it seems. Hope this helps.

Lelleri and ciobanu_pf like this.
  4. ciobanu_pf

ciobanu_pf

Many thanks, it worked for me too (import from blender again).

5. rustinlee

rustinlee

Didn't work for me, still having this issue in 2019.4.6f1.

AzzyDude24601 likes this.
  6. Skorpiuz

Skorpiuz

I just found another workaround.
    Just remove the Root Bone from the Skinned Mesh Renderer after adding the cloth. Then de-activate and re-activate the Game Object.

upload_2021-2-5_20-7-24.png

I suppose this can cause problems with some animations, but so far I have not seen any problem.
    Hope this helps.

www.darktalesgame.com

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    LaurieAnnis, ROBYER1 and PhaetonLT like this.
  7. Menion-Leah

Menion-Leah

Issue is still present in Unity 2019.4.21f1.
    This fix worked for me, thanks!

8. PhaetonLT

PhaetonLT

Skorpiuz's option with the root bone worked for me! :) I hope that solves the problems with the cloth component.