Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Mesh Baker LOD [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Phong, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Phong

Phong

Hi LeveAnts, I would take a careful look at the LOD setup. For some reason the same MeshRenderer in the scene is being added twice to a combined mesh. You should be able to use previously baked mesh assets. There is nothing magic about the baked meshes. A mesh is a mesh is a mesh.

2. LeveAnts

LeveAnts

Hey again, I didn't quite figure out what was causing the mesh to be added twice, didn't have to really I ended up using own meshes combined in blender, the vertex count rising issue was something weird with unity's Game view statistics, started working today on my project again, and somehow magically after opening unity the verts count went back down matching those of the meshes in the project view.

Thank you for replying so soon Phong, really good support there from your side definitely a worthy asset with such dedication.

3. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

Hi,

Does Mesh Baker LOD decimates a model at runtime?
    If not, could it be integrated with solutions like Automatic LOD?

Regards,
    R

4. Phong

Phong

Hi Rod,

Mesh Baker LOD does not do any decimation. It is similar to an LOD group.

5. Phong

Phong

I will be on vacation from July 8th to July 17th. Support will not be available during this time. Sorry for the inconvenience.

6. sebas77

sebas77

Shouldn't you update the original post removing the unity free references?

7. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

We have a bunch procedural generated content so there isn't LOD at editing time to attach to Mesh Baker LOD.

Could you integrate it with Automatic LOD or provide us a way to attach a dynamic mesh at runtime?

8. Phong

Phong

Hi Rod, the LOD prefabs need to be built in the editor. It is not really possible to build them at runtime.

9. Ramulos

Ramulos

Hello,

I implemented mesh baker and lod for my trees(alot of them) in my project. I was hoping you could help me with two things.

There's an issue of popping when it transitions from one lod to another. I know in the unity lod system there's a crossfade feature to make the transition smoother. Is there any way to put something like that in place here?

Also my project is for VR so id appreciate any tips you have on maximizing performance and squeezing every ms i can get. i.e. best max vertices in combined mesh for performance, cluster type simple vs grid (doc doesn't mention performance), garbage collector optimization for the meshes, anything else you think might help would very much be appreciated.

Sorry if I'm asking a bunch. Thank you for your time.

10. Phong

Phong

Hi Ramulos,

Sadly there is no easy way to avoid the popping. The Unity crossfade system is deeply integrated with Unity with no way to hook into it. One thing that helps is to try to make sure the LODs have the same silhouette.

Regarding performance, is your game on Mobile or PC? Tuning can be a bit of an artform. I would recommend sizing the clusters to be about 1/3 the distance from the near to the far fustrum using the grid cluster. The max verts in combined can very a lot depending on hardware you are running on for mobile I would suggest 15k but this is something I would experiment with.

11. Ramulos

Ramulos

Thank you for the reply :). Im using pc vr, the HTC-Vive. Ill try out the cluster size reccomendation and play around with the max verts a bit.

12. Ramulos

Ramulos

Hello again,

Sorry to be asking questions every other week. Everything seems to be working great so far, managed to to mitigate the popping effects with some "creative" use of lod models and fog.

I have another problem regarding the startup of the Lod manager. How can I delay the lod manger from searching for the lod camera script till after I've initialized the camera?
    Currently to support vr multi platform my scene is initialized with a vr sdk manager to detect which headset is connected and then creates the relevant camera prefab and settings from that since each has a unique camera. The problem is that the lod manager meanwhile is constantly throwing hundreds of errors and slowing up the startup massively saying it cant find a lod camera script. Where can I make this delay happen?

13. Phong

Phong

Hello, this will be tricky as the setup for each LOD would need to be delayed as well. This is something I hadn't considered when designing this. I will try to fix it so that things work without a camera.

As a workaround I would suggest:

Have an extra camera in scene with a LODCamera script on it. When you camera is ready. Add the new camera to the manager using LODManager.AddCamera. Then remove the initial camera from the LOD manager and delete it. It is a bit of a hack but it should work.

[Update] adding the line to MB2_LODManager.cs line 512 (line 7 in the code below) should fix the errors when there is no LOD camera in the scene. You will still need to call "AddCamera" when your camera is ready.

lodCameras = new MB2_LODCamera[0];

Code (CSharp):
    3. public MB2_LODCamera[] GetCameras(){
    4.             if (lodCameras == null){
    5.                 MB2_LODCamera[] lcs = (MB2_LODCamera[]) MB2_Version.FindSceneObjectsOfType(typeof(MB2_LODCamera));
    6.                 if (lcs.Length == 0){
    7.                    lodCameras = new MB2_LODCamera[0];
    8.                     MB2_Log.Log(MB2_LogLevel.error,"There was no cameras in the scene with an MB2_LOD camera script attached",LOG_LEVEL);
    9.                 } else {
    10.                     lodCameras = lcs;
    11.                 }        
    12.             }
    13.             return lodCameras;
    14.         }

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    syscrusher likes this.
  14. Ramulos

Ramulos

Thank you so much! :D:D:D
    This fixed my problem. I'm able to startup now with no errors from the LOD manager. Thank you for all your help and awesome work on these assets!

15. katasteel

katasteel

"Combine many skinned meshes into a mob that renders in one drawcall."
    Does/can that happen at runtime?

I am created an ARPG that will contain many skinned meshes on the screen at one time.
    I am looking to buy or create a tool that bakes skinned meshes with matching materals/shaders at runtime.
    So if a character enters the cameras frustum it will be baked into an existing(or new) skinned mesh, and removed from it when it leaves the cameras frustum.

Can MB LOD do this?

16. Phong

Phong

It does something very similar. It bakes the skinned meshes based on proximity to the camera. It does all the mesh combining at runtime.

I would encourage you to create the atlases ahead of time. This process takes time and there are limitations like all textures must be readable.

17. JBR-games

JBR-games

Hi, i currently own the paid version of mesh baker , and felt mesh baker LOD might be a nice add-on to use as well. I was wondering if there was any added support for billboards as a final lod level. I noticed in the reviews someone posted some code that may have made it possible ? thanks

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  18. Phong

Phong

Hi JBR-games,

It is not possible to include BillboardRenderers in a combined mesh. I tried to do this but the meshes used by BillboardRenderers are not simple meshes like those used by SkinnedMeshes and MeshRenderer meshes so I doubt that it will ever be possible to do this.

BillboardRenderers can still be used by the LOD, by setting the "dont include in combined mesh" flag, but there will not be a performance benefit. That is what the code did in the review. It sets this flag.

JBR-games likes this.
  19. syscrusher

syscrusher

@Phong, I have the paid version of Mesh Baker and am just learning to use it. I watched your tutorial video last night (nice job on that ... very clear and easy to follow).

Is the LOD tool still an add-on with the paid Mesh Baker, or is it included with the paid MM but an add-on for the free version? I ask this because when I imported Mesh Baker, I saw some references to LOD things in the import list. I'm not unwilling to buy the add-on, but wanted to make sure I don't already have it included. :) Thanks!

20. Phong

Phong

Sorry for the slow reply. Mesh Baker LOD is not included in Mesh Baker. It is an independent asset. It requires Mesh Baker.

21. syscrusher

syscrusher

No worries on the response time, and thanks for the info. No objection that it's not included, just wanted to make sure I wasn't double-buying. :)

22. attaway

attaway

Hey I'm interested in getting something setup like Unreal's HLOD with Impostors described in https://shaderbits.com/blog/octahedral-impostors/ and https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/Engine/HLOD/Overview.

I'm using Amplify Impostors to generate impostors but then I'm wondering if its possible to integrate them with Mesh Baker & MB LOD in the same way. The system described works by selecting "Use MaxLOD as Impostor".
    I'm generating my own LODs so I dont mean to include their Auto LOD system, just the way in which they work with clusters and impostors.

JBR-games likes this.