Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Mesh Baker by Digital Opus [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Phong, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Phong

Phong

Hi Rend, I tested and in my simple test scene things are working. Here is a Unity Package of that simple scene. http://digitalopus.ca/_uploads/testscene.unitypackage

2. Phong

Phong

I have an addon package Mesh Baker LOD which does runtime baking using LOD. However, this is different from what Magique is requesting. I will add this feature to the feature request list.

3. Rend

Rend

Hi Phong, I tried baking different objects using the same atlas and they are working fine, it seems that the issue is only with those quad tiles, so I guess I'll use a different approach for them.

Thank you for your help and for this great tool.

4. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I want the same he does, a workflow for existing LODs.

I have another question, in the asset I'm trying to optimize there are often two textures used in the same mesh, were one of the textures is a "trim" texture a 2048x2048 with different trim areas that are used for alot of assets through out the scene. The mesh uses just a tiny part of the trim, here is an example

8k.png

we have 3 different tiles one with blue stripes, one with green and one orange. if I atlas them like I have done here that means duplicating the trim 3 times and only use a small part of it (outlined in red). I could combine them into a 8k texture, will still only use a small part the trim, are 8k textures recommended in unity? Any other workflow to consider?

Can mesh baker extract the trim part from the wall mesh?

edit: Target platform is Desktop DX11 and SteamVR

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  5. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Adding a regex filter for the name of the gameobject in teh select tool could help us alot like ignoring LOD1 etc

6. Phong

Phong

That is a great suggestion. It would be useful for a lot of situations and would be easy to add. I will try to get that out sometime next week.

7. Phong

Phong

Try using the "consider UVs" option. Mesh Baker should extract only the part of the texture that is being used.

8. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Cool will look into that!

9. magique

magique

Thanks.

10. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Hey again, I noticed the .asset files get huge or the scene if put the assets directly in the scene, way bigger than the source .fxb file (multiplied with the clone amount). IS there some way of getting them closer to the source ratio?

11. Phong

Phong

I am going to describe an example to make sure we are talking about the same thing:

In a scene a grass prefab is cloned 1000 times. The original mesh is very low poly (20 vertices). The scene is small because a single instance of the mesh is shared by all the grass game objects. However there are 1000 drawcalls.

If the grass meshes are combined then you end up with one big 20,000 vertex mesh. This takes up a lot more memory but only has one drawcall.
    There is no way to get around having the large mesh to get the one drawcall. You could use a runtime script that bakes the geometry together when the scene loads. This would make things more complicated but the size of the saved scene would be smaller. You would still have the large mesh in memory while the scene is running.

12. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Not what I meant, it seems the format you save the meshes in are less efficient than the source .fbx

Lets say the grass .fbx takes 1k on disk then you should end up with 1000k on disk +- a little maybe. But its many times bigger than that after bake

13. Phong

Phong

I will investigate.

14. mcmorry

mcmorry

I'm using Mesh Baker to bake some assets I bought on the store. They already make use of large atlases and, when I bake with the "consider UVs" option, MB cuts just a bit of the original atlases to include all the parts that are needed, but it still keeps a lot of useless parts of the textures (looks like that MB search for the smaller rectangle that includes all the parts to use). So it end up including a lot of useless parts that are inside this area, generating so a much lower resolution baked texture.
    Any plan on improving the algorithm to find small independent uv islands from each texture?

Also I need help with 2 more things:
    1. Some objects need to be animated, but I still want to use the same new baked atlas and material. I tried to select one object in the mesh baker (after that I baked the materials and the main object), but then the previous baked meshes loose all the data inside (0 vertices). What am I doing wrong? I also tried to create a new Mesh Baker object and assign the Materials asset, but then the baked object just uses the original texture and material and not the baked one.
    2. Some objects have 2 materials (one transparent for the glass and one solid for some frames). After baking there is only one material generated and the glass becomes a solid white. Does MB support objects with multiple sub-meshes and materials?

Thanks

15. Phong

Phong

Hi Mcmorry,

I will look into the first problem you describe. I am surprised to here that is happening. If there is no overlap then the algorithm should just pick out the parts of the source atlas that are actually used.

1) I would suggest using the BatchPrefabBaker. I think that the problem you are running into may be that Mesh Baker is re-using the mesh from your first bake in the second bake. There is a "mesh" field in the inspector for the mesh baker. Try setting this to none before using the baker a second time.

2) You need to use the multiple materials feature. You can map the opaque materials to one combined material and the transparent materials to another combined material. When the meshes are baked the combined mesh will have two submeshes.

mcmorry likes this.
  16. Wizard-Games

Wizard-Games

Hi, I am attempting to use mesh baker to bake a mesh using "Nature/TreeSoftOcclusion Leaves," and the colors after the bake are incorrect. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong.

Here is an image. Those on the right are the originals.

http://imgur.com/a/X2Nqd

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  17. mcmorry

mcmorry

Thank you for your support. I managed to resolve the points 1 and 2.

About the point 1 I had to do in two steps. Unless I used wrong, would be nice to improve MB.
    My configuration is like this:
    Prefab1
    - Child1
    - Child2
    Prefab2

What I needed was to bake material and texture, and also all the children inside Prefab1. Instead BatchPrefabBaker kept all the children inside. So I had to do a second baking, only of Prefab1, using the materials generated by the previous step. Would be nice to have an option in the BatchPrefabBaker to also bake the meshes inside each prefab.

About the "consider UVs" option, I confirm that there is no overlapping. I works most of the time, but sometime it leaves some large parts of textures. The result is not too bad anyway.

MB does its work pretty well. I hope you don't mind if I give you my feedback: the UI could be improved a lot. It's really confusing to go up and down between components to execute all the steps.
    For example in the BatchPrefabBaker the step 1 says to bake the materials. So I should know that I have to use the component below (called Texture Baker, but you say to bake materials not textures). So what I did I when in the menu to create a new Material baker. Later (after watching your video) I realized that wasn't needed.
    Then on the steps 2 - 4 I have to go up again and setup BatchPrefabBaker.
    Then the step 5 says to click the Batch Bake Prefabs button, but I should first go down to Mesh Baker and set to Bake Mesh Asset in place.
    Your video was the only way to understand what to do. So good that you did it. But is a bit confusing to setup all those thing in that way. And for sure in few months I will not remember it and I'll have to go through the video tutorials again.

18. Phong

Phong

There is a post in the FAQ about baking trees check that you are following the steps in that. http://digitalopus.ca/site/mesh-baker-2-faq/

19. Phong

Phong

Thanks for the feedback!

This is very valuable to me. I am an indie developer working by myself so I don't get an opportunity to watch people using Mesh Baker. People rarely give me this sort of feedback. I will try to clean up the UI.

About the "consider UVs" option, I am not able to reproduce the problem. It works in the cases that I have tested. If you have a case where it is misbehaving that you can share please PM me.

mcmorry likes this.
  20. magique

magique

I agree with his points as well. I love Mesh Baker, but it could definitely be simplified and cleaned up.

21. Phong

Phong

Please let me know if there are things you find particularly confusing or annoying.

22. magique

magique

Unfortunately, I just don't have the time to go through it in detail and give a proper analysis. I'm so swamped with developing my game and dealing with technical issues from several assets that it's difficult to just keep things moving forward.

23. LootlabGames

LootlabGames

Phong,

I have been using an older version of mesh baker for a while now.
    Everything has been going well, but I wanted to upgrade my project to the newest version.

So I backed up the MeshBaker folder and import the new version.
    Now I have this problem:

This is my combined mesh using the old version:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/sjgat59t6jxli9x/Old MB Version.JPG?dl=0

And here is the new version:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/7jfg7gb4q0do6yj/New MB Version.JPG?dl=0

As you can see the color appears to be gone in the new version.

Any ideas?

24. Phong

Phong

Are you using an atlas? If so you will need to re-bake the atlas, then re-bake the mesh.

25. LootlabGames

LootlabGames

That fixed it.

I am having another problem though.

Here are screenshots of a room.

This one is using 29 different meshes and the same material(created using MB).
    All the meshes are set to static to use static batching.
    Batches 56
    Tris 62.9K
    Verts 83.3K
    83 FPS
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/e27uf4qxhohtbbb/MB.Test.1.JPG?dl=0

The second one uses only 1 mesh(baked in MB) and the same material.
    Batches 28 - Good decrease in batches
    Tris 96.3K - Where does the extra 33.4K tris come from?
    Verts 125.6K -Where does the extra 42.3K verts come from?
    76 FPS - Lower framerate probably due to increased tris

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ekayqlaje9nph6f/MB.Test.2.JPG?dl=0

I would expect the tri and vert count to be near identical(Actually I expected a little less where they overlap).
    Why is Mesh Baker adding Tris to the baked mesh?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  26. mcmorry

mcmorry

Try to compare both cases without enabling shadows. I suspect that before to bake, not all the meshes where casting shadows, or not all were receiving. Baking them all together could cause the whole room to be rendered twice because of the shadows and not only a part of it.

27. LootlabGames

LootlabGames

28. mcmorry

mcmorry

mmh... What you did was not what I thought.
    I don't think that baking with shadow and renderers disabled will make any difference. I was just suggesting to redo performance test just disabling the shadows to confirm that Mesh Baker wasn't adding triangles.

That numbers in the stats is not the amount of triangles/vertices of the objects, but the amount of triangle/vertices rendered.
    When you have shadows enabled Unity has to render again many object a second time.

The same is for the lights. In fact, in the last picture you don't have the lights on. I thought that you were using lightmaps, not realtime lights. So I think that the issue is not coming only from the shadow but from the point lights too.

In forward rendering each light (except the directional light) requires a second pass. Unity renders again all the objects inside the range of each light.
    Before baking, each light was rendering just a part of the room. After baking each light is rendering the whole room again. This is why you were getting more triangles in the stats.

Your only solutions are:
    1. don't bake all the room in one single mesh, but divide it in large pieces. You will have to find a compromise between draw calls and triangles. You will never get both.
    2. Use lightmaps and disable realtime lights.

29. xrooshka

xrooshka

Hi everyone! I have a question about Mesh Baker. I have a task to combine meshes and save all of the materials in it without baking them. It's just because i use a lot of tiled textures on my buildings. Is it possible with mesh baker?

30. LootlabGames

LootlabGames

Strangely enough baking without shadows did seem to make a difference.
    Although it shows a performance increase with one room, running it "in game" has much different results.

I generate my dungeon at runtime so I can't really bake in the light maps.

What I do is generate the dungeon and each room reports back to the manager after it is generated.
    Then it bakes the mesh at runtime.

Here is the manager script:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections.Generic;
    2. using UnityEngine;
    4. namespace MBTest
    5. {
    6.     class MBTriTestManager : MonoBehaviour
    7.     {
    8.         public static MBTriTestManager instance;
    9.         public List<MBTriTestFireMeshBaker> fireMeshBakers = new List<MBTriTestFireMeshBaker>();
    11.         void Awake()
    12.         {
    13.             if (instance == null)
    14.             {
    15.                 DontDestroyOnLoad(gameObject);
    16.                 instance = this;
    17.             }
    18.             else
    19.             {
    20.                 Destroy(gameObject);
    21.                 return;
    22.             }
    23.         }
    25.         public void RegisterFireMB(MBTriTestFireMeshBaker fmb)
    26.         {
    27.             if (!fireMeshBakers.Contains(fmb))
    28.             {
    29.                 fireMeshBakers.Add(fmb);
    30.             }
    32.             if (fireMeshBakers.Count == 9)
    33.             {
    34.                 FireMeshBakers();
    35.             }
    36.         }
    38.         public void FireMeshBakers()
    39.         {
    40.             foreach (MBTriTestFireMeshBaker fmb in fireMeshBakers)
    41.             {
    42.                 fmb.Fire();
    43.             }
    44.         }
    45.     }
    46. }
    And the child script:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections.Generic;
    2. using UnityEngine;
    4. namespace MBTest
    5. {
    6.     public class MBTriTestFireMeshBaker : MonoBehaviour
    7.     {
    8.         public List<MB3_MeshBaker> meshBakers = new List<MB3_MeshBaker>();
    10.         List<GameObject> objsToAdd = new List<GameObject>();
    12.         public void Start()
    13.         {
    14.             MBTriTestManager.instance.RegisterFireMB(this);
    15.         }
    17.         public void Fire()
    18.         {
    19.             for (int i = 0; i < meshBakers.Count; i++)
    20.             {
    21.                 if (meshBakers[i] == null)
    22.                     return;
    24.                 for (int j = 0; j < meshBakers[i].objsToMesh.Count; j++)
    25.                 {
    26.                     if (meshBakers[i].objsToMesh[j] != null)
    27.                     {
    28.                         objsToAdd.Add(meshBakers[i].objsToMesh[j]);
    29.                     }
    30.                 }
    32.                 meshBakers[i].objsToMesh.Clear();
    33.                 meshBakers[i].AddDeleteGameObjects(objsToAdd.ToArray(), null, true);
    34.                 meshBakers[i].Apply();
    35.             }
    36.         }
    37.     }
    38. }
    And here are the results with 9 rooms side by side:

Non baked (uses static batching) with shadows on:

Batches 952
    Tris 621.2K
    Verts 813.9K
    65.7 FPS

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lf972nuy0efdr9v/MB.TriTest.Normal.JPG?dl=0

Pre Baked (non static) with shadows off:

Batches 1407
    Tris 330.2K
    Verts 433.5K
    65.2 FPS

https://www.dropbox.com/s/08w1u1p5h1cf2a3/MB.TriTest.MBPre.JPG?dl=0

Post Baked (baked the Pre Baked non static meshes above) with shadows on:

Batches 167
    Tris 931.9K
    Verts 1.2 million
    69.0 FPS

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t6x3dsz59f0zf0u/MB.TriTest.MBPost.JPG?dl=0

I still don't get why the Tris/Verts go up, I would expect a little less than the Pre Baked result.
    I'm going to try to split each room into 4 baked meshes and report my results.

31. LootlabGames

LootlabGames

32. mcmorry

mcmorry

Just to confirm. Could you completely disable the lights and shadows and compare the non baked and the baked ones of one single room? It should give you the same amount of tris and verts.
    If so the issue is only in the lights and/or in the shadows and not on Mesh Baker, but "just" a Unity thing that needs to be tuned.
    Anyway would be nice to hear from @Phong if he has something to add about Mesh Baker.

33. LootlabGames

LootlabGames

34. Phong

Phong

Yes, it is easiest to use the Batch Prefab Baker. Basically it bakes a bunch of prefabs, combining the textures and adjusting the UVs to use the atlas.

35. Phong

Phong

Hi Katasteel,

I think the extra vertices are due to renderers that were previously being culled by the camera fustrum. With the baked mesh these vertices and triangles are part of a larger mesh that cannot be culled so they get sent to the graphics card. Can you combine the meshes room by room?

Where is the camera going to be in game? Is it down in the rooms or above the game like in your pictures?

36. mcmorry

mcmorry

As I wrote the test should be performed with only one room (so that nothing is outside of the camera view), no shadows and no lights. Otherwise is pointless.

37. LootlabGames

LootlabGames

Phong,

The one above (with the code samples) combines room by room(at runtime).
    It is a top-down game and the camera would be very much like the test.

I can try testing only one room(No shadows) when I get home.
    But because the test above combines each room individually I'm not sure it matters.

38. mcmorry

mcmorry

I also told no lights

Look, I'm trying to help you based on my extensive experience in Unity. When you test something you have to exclude all the elements that could give you different results. You asked why Mesh Baker is generating more polygons. Even if I'm not the developer of MB, I'm ready to bet the MB is not doing anything wrong.

You are mixing lights, shadows, single room / multiple room, objects fully / partially inside of the camera view.
    This is simply not the way to understand if and where you have an issue, and if MB is doing something wrong.

Also, just to use correctly the forum, is better to click on the reply link (bottom right of a post) if you want to reply to someone.

I think that I'll stop here with replies, because I start to feel that I'm spamming the thread of MeshBaker.
    Good luck.

39. LootlabGames

LootlabGames

Phong,

A single room with no shadows and no lights, created at design time gives the same tris and verts.
    But combining the same single room 9 times (9 different mesh bakers using the code in my previous post) with no lights and no shadows at runtime shows almost double the tris/verts.

Unfortunately, the dungeon rooms will look different every time(random), So combining one single room at design time will not help me.

How can I get around this limitation?

40. xrooshka

xrooshka

Thank you for the answer! But I don't need do bake materials to atlases. Instead of it I need to save all the materials on the combined mesh. I just need a command like "Combine" in Maya or "Attach" in 3DsMAX.

I have seen some simple scripts that just combining meshes in one solid mesh. One of it can save all the materials, but result works only in play mode and can't be saved to prefab, so I can't bake the lighting on it. Another can't save the material IDs and can't set all of the mats on model, so it's unusable to. And I have no programmer skils, so I can't combine that scripts in what I need by myself.

[UPD]

Well, I found "Multiple Combined Materials" feature and it did something like what I want... something like. Because it dublicates the materials and even textures. So I have to apply the source one and then delete the duplecated each time I bake something. I found it's very strange solution.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  41. Phong

Phong

Hi Katasteel,

The extra verts and tris are due to off screen geometry being included in the drawcalls. Smaller chunks should help. You might want to back up and approach the optimization more methodically. The unity manual has some good information on optimizing graphics performance.
    First make sure you are testing on the target platform. FPS can be wildly different on different devices. For PCs, the graphics card difference (Laptop Intel HD graphics vs NVIDIA 9XX). For mobile testing on PC is almost meaningless.

Second identify your bottleneck. Do the switch screen resolution test described in the manual. In the screenshots you have shown the FPS does not change much regardless of the number of tris, batches and vertices being sent. This suggests to me that your bottleneck may not be number of batches but might be fillrate.

42. Phong

Phong

I am not quite clear on what you are trying to do. If you want to re-use the source materials on the combined mesh without creating any atlases, just ignore the TextureBaker, fill a MeshBaker with the objects you want to combine and bake. This works as long as the first object has all the materials used by the other objects you are combining.

If you have several materials (submeshes) and want them collapsed into a single material, just add the object to a texture baker and hit bake. This will create an atlas and combined material.

43. LootlabGames

LootlabGames

Thanks Phong.
    One more question.
    Because I am seeing more tri's when I bake the meshs with lights on/shadows on; does this means I need to turn them off when baking at runtime?

44. Phong

Phong

The tris and verts you see in the stats window, are not the number of tris and verts in the scene. They are the tris and verts that were sent to the graphics card to render that frame. Turning on shadows and adding lights means more render passes which means geometry being sent to the graphics card multiple times, however there are no more verts and tris in the scene. Mesh Baker only cares about the tris and verts in the meshes in the scene so turning on lights and shadows has no affect on the baked meshes.

hopeful likes this.
  45. PatientZero

PatientZero

Hi,

Somehow Mesh Baker seems to mess up my normals (or something) when Baking.
    As you can see in the gif the unbaked version on the left side behaves differently than the baked version on the right.
    Is there something wrong with my baking setup, or is it a bug?

46. Phong

Phong

I don't think it is the normals, but it looks like there are problems with the atlas. It looks like some of the source meshes use out of bounds uvs. Try using the 'consider UVs' feature or mapping some of the source materials to their own submesh. It also looks like there may be some non-texture properties (shininess maybe?) that are different on the various source materials. There is no easy fix for that unfortunately.

I have a video on combining materials with out of bounds uvs and tiling.

47. henkesky

henkesky

@Phong i saw your asset, at the asset store. Am new to unity, am just wondering if this is what i actually need. I need to reduce the file size of my models(is intended for mobile games) and draw calls as well. Can mesh baker do this for me without much drop in quality of the models? Please i will need little explanation on how it can be done

48. Phong

Phong

Hi Henkesky,

I am surprised you are worried about file size of your models. Most people worry about vertex and triangle count. Mesh Baker will NOT help with file size, and it will add more vertexes and triangles to your scene (by replacing instances of meshes with combined meshes). But the number of triangles and vertices being fed to the graphics pipeline should be roughly the same.

If you want to reduce triangle and vertex count you can use an asset like Simple LOD or Cruncher. These work very well for meshes that have been generated through scanning. They do not work as well for hand modeled meshes. For hand modeled meshes you usually need to reduce the polycount by hand. There is usually some drop in quality through these processes.

Mesh Baker can help you reduce drawcalls by combining meshes, creating atlases and creating assets that can use those atlases. There can be some drop in quality if the size of images are reduced when they are added to an atlas. Also you may loose some of the non-texture property tuning of some of the source materials when they are combined into a combined material.

Note that mesh combining does not always speed up a scene. I would suggest reading the manual for optimizing a scene very carefully and doing the recommended profiling to discover where your bottlenecks are. Then planing your approach to optimizing.

49. PatientZero

PatientZero

I'm not sure thats whats going on here.
    I definitely do not have any out of bounds uvs and the floor thats behaving differently in the gif uses the same material everywhere. I also do not get the "There are possible problems with these meshes...." message to which you refer in your video.
    Upon further testing I noticed that the problem only occurs if I use the Texture Packer_Fast. The "normal" Texture Packer produces the correct results (but is painfully slow when I use it on my full Level).

50. emrahozer_rightsoft

emrahozer_rightsoft

Hi,

This is a great product, it helped me a lot with reducing the draw calls. I managed to get same look after the meshes are baked. Only problem I'm having now is the lightmaps. Even though I selected Generate_new_UV2_layout, lightmaps are in really terrible quality and full of artifacts. I used the same lightmap settings that i used before baking the meshes. Thus I can eliminate the lightmap quality.

Here are two images before and after lightmap. I'll be happy if you can give me any advice.

Thanks
    beforeLightMap.png lightmapFail.png