Search Unity

MERGED - Dark Skinned Themes for Unity Free and Forum

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BrainMelter, Aug 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

i assumed they made most of their cash from the asset store these days

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

That's not the case unfortunately, not for 600 staff and 21 platforms.

3. O_and_N

O_and_N

I like the dark skin.Having worked with maya for a 6-7 years when 2011 came with the dark skin it was somehow more easy fun to concentrate and be more productive.Still i have some pride left and i wont pay for a dark skin.I think unity is behaving childish.If they are going to give the software(personal)for free they just have to give the stupid dark skin.Is it so hard for them just to let go or do they still want to make it clear that this is for pros and that is for amateurs.

4. N1warhead

N1warhead

About time someone besides me tells people in nicer words they need to quit being ungrateful selfish brats who keep expecting handouts for everything.

I only subscribed to Unity Pro for the extra features, I'm not gonna ask for any kind of refund because I gave y'all my word I'd pay it, and I will, nobody sees me complaining "Man I got Pro only for the features and now everyone gets them in free".
    I'm not gonna complain about it, because there's no reason too.
    So now I'm spending 75 a month for a black theme and no splash screen, if y'all want something to complain about, that's definitely something to complain about, but again, I'm not gonna complain, because I'm actually kinda glad it worked out this way, I've grown very fawn of my Black Theme.
    Yeah I know I get a few extra percs being pro, but stuff I'll probably never use.

I just can't stand people bitching after y'all just gave away practically a free 1500 dollar pro and people really dare to keep asking and begging for more and have the entire same thing as people who are spending 1500 now?

mak3nsh1, Devil_Inside and hippocoder like this.
  5. Archania

Archania

1500 is the cost to you NOT the cost of making the engine. Which I am sure is a heck of a lot more then 1500. Heck that is a weeks pay for some people I know and they can't create an engine like this in a week.

hippocoder likes this.
  6. Artanic

Artanic

From an artists standpoint the darker grey gives significant advantage as having extremes of light or dark influences how you view an object making the visual job harder. Maya, Zbursh etc all have at minimum mid-dark grey UIs (and ability to customize) now for that reason. It's not merely a status symbol.

I brought the Unit 5 preorder but I'll probably take advantage of the refund mainly due my team is too small to take advantage of most of the pros functions. I wouldn't mind keeping the pro for myself as it's not much money to me but being unable to mix n match makes that fairly pointless.

If unity wants to save that color for pro that's fine. But maybe a more mid tone grey rather than the light as an option would be nice, even if it just was an extra cost so it wouldn't effect the people who don't care.

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah, it's not a massive deal breaker, but you've made a nice point (although you can circumvent this issue entirely by placing a small script that updates the game camera to be the same as the scene camera in OnDrawGizmos - we do this).

8. Evil_Moo

Evil_Moo

Somewhat ironically I might have considered purchasing Pro if they had not given all the features I wanted for free (though probably not a wise decision as I doubt I would ever get anything to release stage or remotely make up the cost in any way, but who knows). Now there's no way I can justify the purchase when the only thing I want from it is a darker interface so it isn't prohibitively unpleasant to stare at the screen I'm working with. Keeping basic usability options behind such a high pay wall is unnecessary. Even a more middling grey would make for a huge improvement to my experience, I feel.

Thankfully I use Pro at work, so it isn't an issue for the bulk of my usage, but I would like to experiment in my own time every now and then, and the current theme is quite off-putting and at the very least causing just enough cognitive friction to erode my already delicate motivation to be productive.

But apparently trying to address a perceived usability issue makes me a greedy, selfish brat, so I guess that's the end of it.

9. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

i was going to claim the refund but i cant bare the light version of the editor, apart from the free assets every month for i assume another two years until unity 6 comes out there's nothing else i would use unfortunately. I think out of all the pricing plans i have seen algorithmic got it right, you pay monthly but instead of an on going subscription for the rest of your life (one of the reasons i wont ever upgrade photoshop from cs6), you pay monthly to own the software instead. so you only make 10 payments or whatever. i think that sort of payment model might tempt more indies.

hell if i had to pay photoshop however much it is a month 25 or something, unity 75, autodesk 1500 a year as i read they will be ending their perpetual license as well soon, and a few other tools then i would be bankrupt in no time

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I would take the forum with a pinch of salt to be honest.

mak3nsh1 likes this.
  11. N1warhead

N1warhead

I'm assuming you were in response to me?
    if so, yeah it's 1500 dollars for ME.

But that's 1500 dollars they lost because of the extra features from potential Pro purchasers, it was a great incentive to purchase pro, now only the far and few extreme serious developers will purchase it (E.G. - 100K) or ones who can just blatantly afford it and get it just because they can. Or the ones who really want to give back to the Unity developers. Which lets get real on that one right now, the majority will never give back to the developers who create fine products, they just turn out like the majority sense Unity 5's release ("I want I want I want" or "Give me this, Give me This, Give me This."

Either get pro or don't, it's that simple, people make things so difficult.
    And I wouldn't see them putting personal in the splash screen as an accident either, it's the same thing we did in Military Intelligence, manipulate people (E.G. - An Illusion.)
    They probably put personal edition on it, so noob developers don't ruin their companies name, by putting "personal" they are statistically categorized (whether it's true or not) as a non-serious developer, there for, if you make bad decisions that ruin your game, people if they notice it even says personal edition, will realize, hey, this was just a noob who made this crappy game, perhaps Unity is still a good engine.)

But when people beg for more and more and complain about how the keyboard hurts their wrist, they give them the fat wad message of 'Get over it and grow up, give me 1500 dollars for a new keyboard cushion for your wrist.'

When you get something free, be thankful and quit asking for more features, it's like telling a dog, hey I taught you how to sit, now go rip someones leg off.

It takes time, it won't happen over night.
    Perhaps people should just give it a chance, maybe, just maybe, it will work!
    If a year goes by, and you genuinely start getting complaints about it saying "Personal" then you can complain, to a point.

I mean a week after release would have Shown Unity developers way more respect than everyone is giving them now.
    How would you feel, you created this remarkable product, that took I'd say thousands of man hours to make.
    Finally release day hits, "Hey, give me this, I should be entitled to it." It wouldn't suit well in you because of that, and you'd get what's the word for it...... "Mad"?

I'm sure, people who've been using Unity for YEARS can understand my point, if they at least understand from Unity's developers point of view.

e_Glyde, Fab4 and Devil_Inside like this.
  12. RobertOne

RobertOne

thats okay - they are already that in social media and unreal forums for hiding something trivial like a skin behind a paywall. so thats fine ;)

Shaolin-Dave likes this.
  13. Wrymnn

Wrymnn

(Sorry for typo in Topic Name and long text, I immersed myself to expressing this too much xD)

With Unity`s 5 release, Unity Technologies, Unity developers and let`s agree, gaming industry have moved forward.
    The entire engine got far more better at visuals, enhancing graphics for players of out their games. The graphics is sometimes what sets the games apart. Yes, the game mechanics and features play significant role, but our eyes taste on graphics.

- The game graphics is for final players of the games, to enhance experience, create that immersion and atmosphere. But developers and users of today`s new software need graphics enhancements too. For us, it is entire UI system we work with, hours and hours every day, creating the best games we possibly can with software we use.

- The darker, modern theme has come to many software tools past years, Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Maya,
    3dsMax, Blender, CryEngine and many more. Why dark? Well, it looks nice, modern theme, professional looking, easy for eyes color and for artists, developers and designers sitting and creating their games every day, it is far more pleasant to stare and work with this color, than maybe any other color there is.

And now, even with Unity`s 5 release, I think we can say, let`s put some mark here and create even better "development" visual experience for Unity developers.
    Now that the Engine is free with it`s full features, in my opinion, there will be a lot less Pro owners than ever before.
    I think that now owners of Unity Pro (My humble opinion) will be teams or studios that require that team license, cloud, game performance reporting or source code access. I think those teams or people will not think it is "unfair" that even developers that did not pay for the engine do have the same theme visual skin as they do.

In my opinion, Unity can only benefit by putting bright, clear theme behind and creating the option to show and offer the modern, Unity 5 Game Engine to every developer that wants to create game with this amazing technology.
    - I think that dark skin gives the engines the look and visual show that it is some powerful piece of software for development. (At least this is how my brain process the visual side of software)

I write this because I care, because I worked, work and will work with Unity for many years forward and I want to have the best "environment" possible for development of games we care about.

If you got this far and hehe, even now I realize how long this wall of text was, you either agree or disagree with me. I get that, it is your opinion. This was mine and I shared it because I care, and heh, this is what this forum is for, isn`t it?

Nevertheless, thank you for reading my opinion and I cannot wait to hear from your guys.

Code safe!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    Shaolin-Dave likes this.
  14. Woodlauncher

Woodlauncher

*literal sigh*

15. Murgilod

Murgilod

I'm just using a baffling setup with three monitors with three custom colour profiles which kinda emulates a dark theme. I just keep my Scene View on one, my Game View on the other, and then my object view on the last one.

It's hardly ideal but I had the extra monitors lying around so whatever.

16. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

instead of personal they should of named it light to match the skin haha

SunnySunshine and N1warhead like this.
  17. ChipMan

ChipMan

Guys unity deserves a nice darker UI!

Shaolin-Dave likes this.
  18. ChipMan

ChipMan

Unity Pro*

19. Archania

Archania

No I wasn't singling anyone out. Sorry if you took it that way.
    Just to let you know. I work full time, raise 3 teenage kids alone and live on long island. Doing the subscription which runs out next month then I'll be purchasing pro. Why? Cause I want to support unity. Do I need it? No. Just because.
    also everyone is in a different boat. We all have our lives and bills.
    I can't say anything about anyone simply because I don't walk in your shoes.
    now let's go make some kick a$$ games and help each other out.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    Devil_Inside likes this.
  20. N1warhead

N1warhead

oh okay, that's why I mentioned if you were in reference to me because I had just posted LOL.
    Hey I completely agree!

I just like to speak from the eyes of the people who made Unity, you know?
    They didn't whatsoever have to make anything different you know?

21. Archania

Archania

The only thing is that splash screen! Lol

22. SeriousM

SeriousM

hahaha, that gave me a laugh :)

23. minionnz

minionnz

This is terrible - it used to be we had complaints asking for features to be added into Unity Free. It seems now people have run out of things to complain about...
    How many people who are complaining about the light skin actually had Pro in v4?? I'm guessing not that many - so you can't really use the "I won't upgrade because a skin isn't worth $1500" excuse.

Of course, let's not forget about the other tools that Unity offer with Pro - and I'd expect more to be added over time. In my opinion, these tools are what you are paying for when you buy Pro - the skin is just a "thank you".

e_Glyde and N1warhead like this.
  24. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah enough is enough really. If you want to request something, please use http://feedback.unity3d.com/ which is the correct channel for this.

N1warhead likes this.
  25. ChipMan

ChipMan

@hippocoder Is right, use the feedback spot for this thing :D It would be nicer.

26. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Say it isn't so! Grey and black are worlds apart! This is unreasonable!

Poes law is always good for lolz.

27. Waz

Waz

Ahem....

Code (csharp):
    1. GUI.skin.GetStyle("BoldLabel").normal.textColor = Color.white;

28. ChipMan

ChipMan

OMG, this thread is sooooo funny, I really, seriously think that it's best if FREE users get what the get for 'FREE' software, and pro users get 'PROFESSINAL' UI

mak3nsh1 likes this.
  29. O_and_N

O_and_N

I dont thik its funny.Honestly i think people just feel offended as in the past unity didnt give you the full features and with all that hope now they have it But that last small detail is not given to them(to feel complete) to feel happy and the feeling of the past is somehow present.Its a childish behaviour from unitys part making people beg like that.

Shaolin-Dave and ChipMan like this.
  30. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

It's a childish behaviour to beg like that.

Stardog and zombiegorilla like this.
  31. O_and_N

O_and_N

Really?I thought that the people who do this are pros or want to become.I dont see anything wrong in to stand behind the thing you want.As for me its really about my eyes.After all those years with udk i can see in the dark now xd.

Shaolin-Dave likes this.
  32. N1warhead

N1warhead

Please tell me you didn't just say that.
    It's childish because they didn't give the one last thing to keep the dignity of having Unity Pro?
    Come on now, think before you speak man.

But of course ur gonna complain, ur obviously a free user and want want want.

It's truly childish to beg when you have just been given so much free stuff you would have never had.
    And to truly beg for the one last thing that dignify s Unity Pro, you demand that?

If you would have asked for the Dark Theme during like 4.5 that would have been different, no features, at least give the black theme right?

Well now, they should give people a choice (Pro with all features Grey theme) or (No Splash Screen, Black theme - no pro features whatsoever). Hmmm, I wonder which people would pic.

Stardog likes this.
  33. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

If you want to request something, please use http://feedback.unity3d.com/ which is the correct channel for this. There's just too much arguing to delete and chastise everyone and Unity's only been out a couple of days and Unity has no intention of changing it at present.

Don't bother opening another thread either - the feedback site is more effective.

N1warhead and Ryiah like this.
  34. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

(Hmm. Maybe we need to resurrect the old free version, and add the dark skin to it. That way users can decide whether to use the original free with dark skin, or the personal edition without the dark skin, or the professional version with everything.)

zodchiy, mak3nsh1, KyleOlsen and 13 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.