Search Unity

MERGED - Dark Skinned Themes for Unity Free and Forum

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BrainMelter, Aug 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryiah

Ryiah

I would love to see them offer a third payment scheme. Let us buy the features we want. Possibly offer them in bundles of features. A graphics bundle, a sound bundle, a performance bundle, etc.

They could always throw the dark skin in with the first purchased bundle.

2. willemsenzo

willemsenzo

I could live with a fully featured non commercial version that doesn't allow me to publish, it at least would allow me to use everything I want in my project and finish it. When it's done I don't have to feel bad to spend almost a year income on a license that allows me to publish. Right now as I speak people are publishing with cracked versions (they even open threads for it to apologize) but most of them dont have the intent to ever buy Unity.

But to stay ontopic, lets just do the dark skin in the free version :)

3. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

i would pay 100 for it

4. Woodlauncher

Woodlauncher

Any citations for this? I know that reading books in low light conditions doesn't cause eye damage, why does reading on a monitor in the dark do? I can't find anything searching for it.

5. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

I would pay zero for it. Already spent few thousand dollars on previous versions of pro.

gonna be hard going back to old light gray... maybe ill stick with my v4 pro... sounds like U5 is full of physics problems, which is what I use for every game i work on.

DigDugLives likes this.
  6. drewradley

drewradley

Yep. That's what I'm doing. Unity four is more than suitable for my needs. So I'll stick with it until it's not. I'm sure I read somewhere that Unity will be supporting 4 a little bit longer.

7. Balthamet

Balthamet

For the dark skin and the removal of "Personal" from the splash screen, I would pay $750.

8. Stardog

Stardog

Guys, grey skin wins. The [Header("Whatever")] attribute shows up way bolder than in dark.

The dark skin users don't know what they're missing. Suckers.

9. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

From an editor-extension developer viewpoint, there are always little details that look differently between the light and dark theme. It's actually not that trivial to make an editor UI look great in both themes, when a lot of custom UI controls are used. On top of that, I've even seen errors/exceptions that only occur with one of the themes.

If you don't have access to both themes, you most likely miss to fix a lot of ugly UI/colors and maybe even some errors. Which, on first sight, might look like your plugin lacks of quality.

If both themes would be available in the personal edition (some asset store publishers didn't by pro), there shouldn't be any excuse that some plugins on the asset store look second class in either theme. I think every asset store publisher would be happy to fix their UI to look great in both themes and it would be a win for the asset store as well.

DigDugLives and baguwka like this.
  10. DarkNeo

DarkNeo

Yeah, I agree the personal version should be a darker skin like the pro. Unity please add this in to the Personal edition then it will be perfect!

11. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

What did you guys do a few years ago when dark UI skins did not exist?
    I never complained that the bright colors would hurt my eyes. o_O

Seriously - I like the Dark UI better as well but I never saw it as such a big problem.

12. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

for me my focal point is no longer my game view which is really annoying, switched back to pro now

13. Demigiant

Demigiant

Aha this thread came to my mind and I laughed so much, when I realized that Unity added everything that once was Pro into the Personal, EXCEPT the dark skin :D

And beware, the joke's on me, because I use dark skins everywhere and own Unity 4 Pro with dark skin, but now I'll stay on Unity 5 Personal for a while so no dark skin for me either. Still, the Personal edition is so good that I definitely can't complain.

14. bigSadFace

bigSadFace

<sarcasm>You guys have such low aspirations. Can I please propose these things be added to the personal edition too:

Customizable Splash Screen
    Unity Cloud Build Pro - 12 Months
    Unity Analytics Pro
    Team License
    Prioritized bug handling
    Game Performance Reporting
    Beta access
    Unlimited Revenue and Funding
    Future platforms included
    Asset Store Level 11
    Professional Community Features
    Source code access
    Premium Support</sarcasm>

Ostwind and Samuel411 like this.
  15. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Unity should consider selling Unity sunglasses in the merch store for 25$ - to prevent people from burning their eyes out with the bright white of the monitor :D

Ryiah likes this.
  16. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

For my situation it doesn't make sense to get pro, but I really want a darker skin. The light one is hard on your eyes in the evening.

I wouldn't mind paying for it - just not $75 a month.

DigDugLives likes this.
  17. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The irony of people claiming light skin burns their eyes out is strong considering the forums are far brighter and they spend far longer on the forums than actually using Unity, as evidenced by this furore.

andmm, TylerPerry and Ryiah like this.
  18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Btw - you should always code in a well-lit room, never in darkness. It's the contrast that hurts you. I do this and use https://justgetflux.com/

Ryiah, the_motionblur and Demigiant like this.
  19. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

OK merging these topics now as well.

There will be no poll since the answer for "more for free" is always yes.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    Ryiah likes this.
  21. Demigiant

Demigiant

Nice! Didn't know that software. Just installed it :)

22. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

honestly calling dark skin a"feature" is ridiculous
    i have owned pro since version 3 because of real time shadows witch are a real feature.
    Dark Skin???? it's like saying pay 1500 to get a bold GUI font....

23. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

It's not that it has to be free. It's just such a basic "feature" and there's no way of acquiring it other than upgrading to pro. Paying $75 a month for a skin alone doesn't make sense. If there was another option I would probably be interested.

baguwka likes this.
  24. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Yes. The thing is, though ... Unity has to make money to sustain. And seeing how much this is a feautre that is requested but in no way really necessary despite what everybody is saying it is their absolute right to keep the feature in pro only. If it really is that important to you there is a way to get it - buy Pro!

I have Pro and I like the dark UI but if it wasn't for the other Pro benefits I would probably have reverted to personal again and requested a refund. So it really isn't just paying pro for the dark UI.

Devil_Inside and Ryiah like this.
  25. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

Absolutely, and they'd be better off letting me buy a dark skin in some way because Pro ain't happening. :)

That's great. For me though, the only thing of interest right now in my situation is the dark skin.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  26. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

I think UT didn't add the dark skin to the personal edition just because it's not an actual engine feature and doesn't affect the quality of games you can make using it. If you want more - the additional services, bug handling, dark editor skin, everything else that doesn't affect the quality but helps you to make games - then you pay for the professional license.

I have pre-ordered Unity 5 Pro and was thinking for a while about getting the refund. Finally, I decided to keep the pro, but if I didn't I would pay up to $100 just for the dark skin. I'm serious. It may sound irrational but this is how I feel.

27. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Unity are offering an upgrade for just the pro skin ...

for $75 a month.

*hides*

Ryiah, ZJP and Archania like this.
  28. Tanel

Tanel

Hmm, I can't really see how the grey is hard for the eyes. I'd get it if it was pure white or something, but it's not that light. Try adjusting contrast/brightness settings maybe?

When coding, light text on dark is a must for me though, basically I want every IDE to look like VS2013 default dark (sublime text's default colors are pleasing too).

I agree though that it's a strange feature to be kept in Pro only (not just now that everything else is in free, in the past as well).

29. drewradley

drewradley

30. josker

josker

For me its more that I find the letters blur a bit in the hierarchy and other panels. When you click an asset and blue appears behind its fine and easy to read. Maybe the font could be changed or the panel background.
    The rest can stop grey.

31. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

i think also a dark skin is kinda the standard for well at least all the software i use these days, and unity's light skinned theme makes what is an amazing engine feel like a cheap piece of ****. maybe its just because im so used to the dark skin

32. HappyLDE

HappyLDE

33. RobertOne

RobertOne

I have to admit.. after 2-3 days iam kinda used to it. but every time i open up 4.6 pro iam still a little but jealous.
    i mean - that argument with the "bad for the eyes" is crap. come on guys. a grey/white editor wont make you blind. so please stop using that argument... you making yourself ridiculous.

but still i just like the dark skin more. its just a personal preference and nothing else. no health reason or other crap. its weid to see that some parts of the ui are in the dark color. like the "Asset Labels" in the inspector. and also some tools from the asset (like KGF cam system) are dark.

so i totally agree with the point that it looks cheep but please stop with the "it hurt my eyes".

And i really understand why people are so emotional about it cause some of them are using that windows for 8hrs+ a day and if its not appealing for them please be so respectful and stop making jokes about it like "you can buy the dark skin for 78$ a month" or "buy sunglases!" lets stop this kindergarden here...

baguwka and Tanel like this.
  34. ZJP

ZJP

DarkSkin mean 'I am a pro. Look at my screen (video) capture'. :p

+1

35. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

Why was this not a huge issue before? Free has had light skin for a while?

Free Users: "We want a better pricing model!"
    UT: "Fine. How about everything for free except these two things that don't affect development."
    Free Users: "Hmmm. We only have two issues with that..."

36. RobertOne

RobertOne

pretty simple. we (I) had 4.x pro before with dark skin and either have no money for 5.0 pro now or don't see the big difference anymore to buy 5.0and asked for a refund. so we have a (for us) new light interface that we cant change back now.

for 4 free to 5 free "converters" i think thats not a big deal and they (clearly) can not understand why people are so called "greedy"

37. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I think this is gonna be a case of sucking it up, guys.

e_Glyde and Devil_Inside like this.
  38. SeriousM

SeriousM

Wow, you're one of the worse moderators I've ever seen.
    Your obligation is to moderate, not to make fun of people trying to explain their needs.
    Shame on you.

39. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

it wouldn't surprise me if they include it with the monthly payments of level 11 to intice more to join, would be nice if they did

orb and SunnySunshine like this.
  40. Yukichu

Yukichu

I know half of these are joke posts, but some are serious... it's pretty ridiculous.

Maybe everyone would have been happier if the big announce at GDC was the dark skin was available for free users. No other announcements. No price changes. Awesome. GDC 2016 announcement prediction.

hippocoder likes this.
  41. SeriousM

SeriousM

42. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

If you ask people "Do you want free beer and pretzels?" - what do you think the answer would be?
    And is free beer a serious issue for humanity? Well ... actually... probably yes... my point is: it still won't happen.

On a serious note: We've all been given the COMPLETE feature set for free. For the same conditions as Pro used to have just a few days ago. Minus the dark UI. And so many people here still have the balls to be unsatisfied and make this an issue like Unity would owe you that dark UI? It was funny for a while but seriously: Do you guys have no shame?
    You can ask nicely - of course. But demanding it like it would be a necessity? After being given the full Pro Feature Set? Pfff... come on!

e_Glyde, ramand, hippocoder and 2 others like this.
  43. bigSadFace

bigSadFace

the_motionblur likes this.
  44. SeriousM

SeriousM

ok, we got your point: you own the pro version and now you feel others have to spend at least the same amount of money.
    now leave, thanks.

and yes, people want free stuff, so what? the whole http://feedback.unity3d.com/ is full of "do you want that? vote that for free". thats the purpose of this page.

the point we try to make is that it's not mature to hide a feature that is already build in just to make others jealous.
    I'm very certain that this topic is a running gag for years and that people bet on how many complains done each day, which means that this will never change until the company stops being childish and mean to their users.

45. Archania

Archania

Just a ? Here and mean no offense.
    How many of you use word or excel and just keep the white background and type away?
    And do any of you remember when Autocad was for do and had the god ugly blue column for commands? It didn't stop engineers and people from designing just about everything you have.
    I understand your point though so don't get me wrong here. I have 3 monitors and have either a desk lamp on or the room light all the time while I work. And my eye sight is total crap with my glasses.

46. Woodlauncher

Woodlauncher

So you gave me another clue but I still can't find anything on how it would damage your eyes to look at a monitor in a dark room. Could you provide anything to back up your claim?

47. orb

orb

This is an excellent suggestion. Make the dark skin an indicator of giving UT money, at any level. It would be a really dirty trick to get thousands more to subscribe that wouldn't otherwise get Pro :)

48. Artanic

Artanic

The one problem even if I wanted to buy pro to get the dark skin is that if you part of a team of any size they must all have pro if one person does as defined by EULA. You can't mix a project with pro and personal.

Just sell it for $25 to get the dark skin version. I bet everyone would buy it. Just keeping it for the pro seems like throwing away free money.

49. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Nah, Unity would become the laughing stock of the industry if you had to pay just to change the colour. Currently you pay to gain access to services, and the dark skin is an indicator of what version you're running, and perhaps a nice little cool touch for people who dropped $1500.

IMO it's not happening so you may as well just enjoy Unity. The colour tone is not a deal breaker, in fact enough is enough and people should be enormously happy with the power at their fingertips - especially people who have suffered lack of render textures for years :)

I accept splash wording is a bit of a niggle for some people, but not this. It's just too much :) Pro owners do need a little perk or two because after all, they finance your free edition.

e_Glyde and ZJP like this.
  50. Tanel

Tanel

I wouldn't, don't care about it that much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.