Search Unity

MERGED - Dark Skinned Themes for Unity Free and Forum

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BrainMelter, Aug 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. virror

virror

This whole thread just proves that Unitys decision to add the dark skin to pro only was spot on : )

2. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

You will always know in the back of your head that it's not the real dark skin. IT will always be there. Nagging. Forcing you to upgrade. You want the real dark skin. The actual one. The dark color values hand crafted by Unity. The dark grey pixels forged in the depths of a volcano in the heart of Denmark.

Little know fact: with every order of Unity Pro David Helgason has to give his personal OK to include the dark GUI. He adds the lines of code to each ordering account himself. Or at least that's what I've heared. The legends say so :eek:

3. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

You'd need to read the existing pixel values where the plane is to know what to invert, which I believe would require a render texture. (Graphics aren't my strength, though, so I could be wrong there.)

4. squared55

squared55

5. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

6. User340

User340

Actually you can accomplish the effect with alpha blending alone. Just apply this shader onto a plane:

Code (csharp):
    1. Shader "Custom/NewShader" {
    2.     SubShader {
    3.         Pass {
    4.             Blend OneMinusDstColor zero
    5.             Color (1, 1, 1, 0)
    6.         }
    7.     }
    8.     FallBack "Diffuse"
    9. }

7. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

If this works, someone should make an addon for this.

They would make millions ...

8. User340

User340

haha, yea. It's not a 100% perfect solution though. For instance, colors in the inspector are inverted, and so is the scene view.

9. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

Hmmm, could you limit the effect to a rect?

10. User340

User340

Which effect?

11. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

The one that inverts the color. Could you just invert, say, the inspector panel?

12. User340

User340

No, my shader ONLY inverts the game view. You would have to go through System Preferences to invert the whole screen's pixels.

13. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

Damn. Millions, down the drain.

14. kreso

kreso

Don't like to resurrect an old thread but I always felt like next version of Unity would have dark skin in free version, and then next, and then next... For whatever reason it's not happening so I decided to write something here.

I'm using PRO version at work, and free version for my own projects at home. I do notice the switch between the skins.
    Now, of course I get to use this amazing tool for completely free - that is not the question. I am grateful, a lot.
    But in my view I don't really understand the logic behind keeping dark for PRO only. PRO has so many features that Basic version doesn't, and rightly so. But keeping the dark skin as some kind of luxury doesn't make sense to a person like me. By that I mean: my eyes are sensitive. For example I need (and am more productive) in an environment that has sunlight during day (instead of artificial light through out the day, or dark rooms). I also use f.lux app to dim the light at night to warmer color - and it really does make it easier for me to go to sleep wind down.. In same respect, using Unity's dark skin (specially at night time) has a different effect than using light skin (which makes my eyes more tired and I lose focus faster).

Now this is not scientific evidence, and again I appreciate the free version. But I also felt that Unity folks always tried to help developers any way they can, so it would seem congruent with it that one could use dark skin in free version. Like Eric mentioned above - it will not change the quality of the game - so I say: might as well make it free - no?

But, what do I know right?

15. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

Look at the new Unreal Engine coming out. It has a beautiful dark skin, available to all subscribers. Their eyes must be soooooooo happy right now. ;)

16. Emsw0rth

Emsw0rth

I believe there are many among us who have been using and developing using computers and their monitors for many years and even decades.

Those of us who have had this fortune and misfortune can certainly testify to the deterioration that happens to the eye and its functions from so many years of monitor induced eye strain - produced largely by expansive areas of white or light colors displayed via monitors to our retinas.

This thread is a plea to any who might be listening to their audience over there at Unity headquarters.

Please consider changing both the interface colors of Unity Free and the background color of your forum pages. If these changes must come at a cost to anyone - I believe you already have multitudes of us developers who would pay to have these simple and considerate changes implemented.

Yes, we would pay a fee to be allowed to continue using the Unity environment without suffering debilitating injury to our eyes.

This thread does not constitute an expression of personal entitlement - only a plea to listen to your loyal audience of users - and a request that you consider taking our money, willingly.

All who agree, say "aye" via this thread.

Greg Smith

protopop likes this.
  17. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  18. squared55

squared55

I agree as well, and I have Pro. :)

If they want to differentiate between the free and pro versions, then maybe they can just put the word "Free" in some unobtrusive place inside the editor?

19. Seth-McCumber

Seth-McCumber

Im wanting this too. Its unbearable to stare at it at night, even with f.lux

Ony likes this.
  20. MarkrosoftGames

MarkrosoftGames

21. Jake-L

Jake-L

+1 because it's lots of additonal work to create appealing editor extensions that look right in both skins.

22. randomperson42

randomperson42

A dark skin would be awesome, or the ability to create custom skins.

23. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Though has been an ongoing discussion since forever, generally most fall on the side of light on dark is easier/preferable to read. (I certainly do) But that is all there is to it, that generally people will find it easier to read/use (by comparison). But, it doesn't save power if you are using LCD. (how many Unity developers are using CRTs?) Eye strain isn't impacted by the color of the elements screen, it is how long you stare at it without taking breaks. And eye strain != eye injury. There is no Nigerian prince going to split millions with you. Duck quacks do echo.

The dark skin is cooler, and I am sure many people would prefer it. But hyperbole, miss-repented studies and made up "facts" don't make for a valid plea or a real "concern".

24. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

$1500 cooler. In fact I bet that's the main reason people pay up. When you go black you never go back.

25. LAUDSOFT

LAUDSOFT

When I'm reading a forum page or site that has black text on white, I sometimes press "Ctrl-A" (select all) to make it easier on the eyes. Just a quick-fix you can do.

Another thing you can do is make sure there is enough overall light in the room your screen is, whether it's sunlight from a nearby window or a lamp. I think being in a dimly lit or unlit room makes the brightness of the screen harsher on the eyes.

26. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

Give them the dark skin. Making the free editor look worse and less comfortable to use is counter productive.
    It's not a real feature.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  27. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

I'm using CRT. Dark skin is environmentally friendly! Save the earth!

28. Gua

Gua

Eyestrain is very noticeable :(
    Please Unity, save my eyes.

29. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

The fact that people keep making threads about it kind of backs it up. People obviously want it, their income is derived from people buying the engine... enough said?

With regards to eyestrain... I've said it before, I'll say it again: set up your work environment properly. If all it takes is some light grey (not even white!) to strain your eyes then your body is letting you know that something pretty unhealthy is going on there, and you should listen to it. Changing the colour of what's on your screen is symptomatic relief at best.

30. Murgilod

Murgilod

Nobody is dropping $1500 for the dark skin.

31. c-Row

c-Row

I think that's the point of asking for the dark skin. People who use both contributed to this thread reporting how the darker skin was easier on their eyes, so please don't keep on handwaving their opinions away just because they don't share yours.

32. drewradley

drewradley

People often are forced to give up things they enjoy for health reasons. I'm diabetic and had to give up sugar. I love sweets but I enjoy being healthy more. Perhaps game development isn't for people suffering from eyestrain.

33. sphericPrawn

sphericPrawn

Wear sunglasses?

SememeS and eskimojoe like this.
  34. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I'm not handwaving anything away, ignoring anything, or trivialising anything. I'm pointing out that the thing they're complaining about is indicative of a bigger, more important problem.

35. Murgilod

Murgilod

Not always, no.

36. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Enlighten me?

37. Murgilod

Murgilod

In some cases, people literally just have different sensitivities and different levels of control they CAN have over their work environment and, honestly? Your repeated opposition to putting the dark skin in Free is more than a little ridiculous.

38. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

The purpose of a forum is to discuss things, right?

And anyway, as I said, it's not so much opposition as it's pointing out that I do not personally believe the skinning to be the core issue. (This is from someone who does indeed use the light skin.)

39. kreso

kreso

@angrypenguin The way I imagine this forum working is: people say their opinion, Unity listens (or not) and decide accordingly (or not). I do not think the point is to discuss subject to death, or that 1 single perspective is the 'right' one.
    I stated my opinion and Unity can listen (or not). So have you. I honestly don't see why I would discuss with you my opinions (or yours) when obviously neither one of us decides if dark skin will be part of the free version or not.
    I assume you are not after a discussion anyways ;)

Be well

40. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

Good idea to wear sun-glasses :cool:. There's even an emoticon for this on the forum.

Blue Brothers

blues-brothers.jpg-5096.jpg

SememeS likes this.
  41. Whippets

Whippets

I don't see the issue for Unity. I use PRO, and the light skin. Don't like the dark skin at all - so why not let everyone have access to both skins?

@eskimojoe - best film of all time

42. violinbg

violinbg

I believe the Splash screen needs to be updated. That would be better than adding a skin to the editor.

43. Paarthurnax

Paarthurnax

Hell yes I want dark grey in the free version! I'm so sick of looking at the light grey hours at a time. It's not good for the eyes at all @_@ !...I guess Unity doesn't care about us pesents hehe. (I'm joking calm down :D)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  44. Paarthurnax

Paarthurnax

I totally agree with your statement, but changing a 10% grey to 70% grey isn't rocket science, I'm sure it will only take 10 minutes to do... It has nothing to do with performance so why charge for it? I'm more concerned with the strain on the eyes and my health. I don't mind at all paying for extra features if they matter to the outcome of the game....However, i'm just greatful I can build my game for free (for now at least).

If you really want to talk about entitlement...This kid was complaining about the price for UE4 being $19!!....That's the most ridiculous thing I've read haha (that's like buying a new corvette for $1,000...who the hell would complain about that? Haha)....but I digress :p To each there own.

45. SememeS

SememeS

FUS ROH DAH!!!

Sorry Paarthurnax .. I didn't want to kill you.. You meant so much to me... I keep seeing it in my dreams.. over and over..

Well said.
    I own Pro. I didn't buy it for the skin, I bought it for the real features. The color option should be for anyone

46. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

You could try this on a Mac:

Accessibility > Display

negative.jpg

47. Murgilod

Murgilod

Yeah, that's great until you realise that all your colours are going to be inverted in your game.

48. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

You could uncheck Invert Colors and when you are comfortable, check the checkbox [x] Invert colours.

Just a stop-gap suggestion.

49. Alex Storm

Alex Storm

Skin selection should be a user choice. Not a differentiating feature between Unity Free and Pro.

50. Tiles

Tiles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.