Search Unity

MERGED - Dark Skinned Themes for Unity Free and Forum

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BrainMelter, Aug 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

Moderator Note: all dark skin discussion regarding personal edition goes here.

-----

Looking at the feature difference between the pro and free version, I think most of the decisions are fair.

But one feature I don't like having just in the pro version is the dark skin.. I don't know, maybe the dark skin is just cooler, kind of like the dark side of the force, and that's why they charge for it ...

But for me, it's just easier to read light on dark than it is dark on light. That's why I have my text editor show light on dark. It may seem kind of trivial at first, but if you're looking at it all day, it can be significant. On top of that, there are a couple addons I use that work well in the dark skin, but are very hard to read in the light skin. It's hard for me to use them.

So I'm adding a little poll here to see if I'm not alone.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015
  2. squared55

squared55

No - or at least, Pro should get a custom skin. I'm a free user, but I like being able to tell from a glance what version of Unity they are using.

Tomnnn and violinbg like this.
  3. The Ghost

The Ghost

I would like it to be added for free, but that's wishful thinking. It's just aesthetics so I highly doubt they would make available in the free version. Although I agree, I much prefer to work with darker backgrounds.

4. User340

User340

IMHO should be reversed

5. Windexglow2

Windexglow2

Seems silly to make it pro only, I feel like it's easier on the eyes especially at night.

6. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

A great incentive to buy pro, isn't it?

Even though I'm a free user, I wouldn't want the dark skin in all versions. I think that itself is one of the most integral features of Pro and one of the most associated with Pro. You can always turn it off if you don't like it, but most do like it.

7. nipoco

nipoco

I doubt your game gets better with the dark Unity skin.

ThatScaryChick, iBinary and Teo like this.
  8. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

No, Id rather them not waste their time, I have no need for a nicer colour scheme.

9. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

I heard a way to do is custom with Visual Studio. I'm on a mac so I wouldn't know.

10. Meltdown

Meltdown

11. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

The gray scheme does seem a bit blah and ugly compared to the dark one.. .but it's obvious then that when you buy an item you want it to look its best so giving the editor a flashier appearance meets that appetite... it would be nice moreso I think to allow the editor to be reskinned by anyone and to sell skin packs on the store. Personally I'd like a white-based theme with colored buttons.

12. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Can pro use light skin? :-0

13. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Yes. You can turn the dark skin off

14. bartleycollin

bartleycollin

Possibly a change in the current indie skin would be nice, but letting indie users have the same look as pro users wouldn't really work.

15. willemsenzo

willemsenzo

Elaborate on this. It's just about a color, it's not some kind of advanced feature. You buy pro because of features, not the way it looks. I don't understand the hassle of all this, just put a color picker somewhere in the preferences so everyone can choose the color they like (pro or not), big deal.

16. User340

User340

It's an emotional thing.

17. willemsenzo

willemsenzo

Seems like a lot of people are emotionally unstable then.

LiberLogic969 and Thjellesen like this.
  18. nipoco

nipoco

Hahaha :D

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

I don't know about any of you guys here, but I would much rather prefer having a dark UI that the Pro version has than the light blinding version that Unity Free has. That or scrape the light version out completely. I don't understand why it's a pro exclusive and it shouldn't be. The latest version of Unity now allows you to use Hard and Soft shadows which was originally a pro feature. Why couldn't the skin be released then?

The grey skin really does bother my eyes and I highly prefer it dark. If it can't be black like Pro they should at least go with a darker grey that isn't so blinding.

Yes, this is an issue because if the developer is blinded, how the hell do you expect him/her to make any games?

Anyone that disagrees with me, you're wrong and you're opinion's don't matter. Ever.

20. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

The latest versions of Unity Free only have support for hard shadows from a single directional light.

21. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

I think "Dark Skin" is a bit of NON-FEATURE really. Seriously, its just a skin, and yet UT continue to tout it as a "FEATURE". LOL !! To tout a skin as feature is so trivial it shouldn't even be worth mentioning. It makes UT looks petty. UT should focus on MORE REAL FEATURES to differentiate the PRO vs FREE. Right now, there isn't much to differentiate the two.

So I say (as a Pro user) : "GIVE THOSE FREELOADERS THEIR DARK SKIN !!"
    You guys got my permission! :D

Shaolin-Dave and CarterG81 like this.
  22. Murgilod

Murgilod

I use the dark skin for my work stuff on a separate license and it's a lot easier on the eyes to work for prolonged periods of time with it on.

Shaolin-Dave likes this.
  23. tamaroq

tamaroq

Agreed. It's understandable that they limit the features of the free version (otherwise, nobody would buy the pro!). But clear skins, if you're used to work with a low ambient light (I like working with only a reading lamp turned on), are slightly uncomfortable. Dark skins are far more comfortable for the eyes. Customized skins could be a only-pro feature, but at least one dark skin should be available in the free version.

Shaolin-Dave likes this.
  24. Dabeh

Dabeh

Sure mate, whatever you say, I'm curious where people like you come from? I don't see any of the active users acting like this; I hope you're enjoying the anonymity.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  25. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

I just got a brilliant idea! Maybe UT should make this skin as DEFAULT for Unity FREE in the next version? :D

Unity Rainbow Strobe Interface Skin.gif

I will bet UT will get 1000% conversion rate to Pro license in no time!!
    .... and the appreciation of the Unity users worldwide!

$Spasm Tourette-03-Optimized.gif

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
    LukaKotar, deus0, zuechb and 8 others like this.
  26. cannon

cannon

Kids nowadays.

Back then with 2.5, there was no dark gui skin, and us Pro users squinted in its bright happy glow, then we bought glasses, and WE LIKED IT.
    Now where did my lawn go?

27. User340

User340

Am I the only pro user that prefers the light skin? Can't stand the dark one...

28. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

It's ok, that's the last post you'll see from him. Just the act of making one post on a forum with a white background will have done irreparable damage to his eyes to the point where even if he does come back he'll be too blind to participate.

;)

29. Murgilod

Murgilod

Do the people saying "no, it'll take up too much time!" not realise that the Pro and Free version of Unity are the exact same software and the only difference is the license file?

Shaolin-Dave likes this.
  30. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I use the light skin a lot, it works much better on a projector than the dark.

31. nipoco

nipoco

I like that. It's so pleasing to the eyes.
    Maybe I open a request for that one on the feedbacks page.

Shaolin-Dave likes this.
  32. Khyrid

Khyrid

Since the votes are 50/50 how about a skin that's value is the average between the standard version and pro? In other words, can we just get it to be a little darker?

33. drewradley

drewradley

I disagree; it's "your opinions" not "you're opinion's".
    :)

34. Dantus

Dantus

I strongly believe that this kind of editor post effect should be a pro only feature :eek:

35. Sickuhtrix

Sickuhtrix

Honestly, Unity Free really should have the option of Dark Skin or Light Skin just like pro does.

It's not even a feature, and the dark skin is seriously better on the eyes.

Shaolin-Dave likes this.
  36. halley

halley

Who the heck cares? If you're gonna use Free, you get what you get and you don't get upset.

Man, the entitlement of today's youth.

37. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

one thing that should make unity think about:

do you know http://www.blackle.com/ ?
    yes it is the black version of google, why? because you screen save energy when it display something black (lower luminosity)

so why not wasting energy, caring for the environment, giving our childs a better futur would be a pro feature only?
    OHmy.. yes even the Genesis engine made by a Chinese company is more repsectfull for the environment!
    ps: i wasnt serious, this is the pro feature that i need the less, i like my unity gray version.

Shaolin-Dave likes this.
  38. halley

halley

(Yes, I expect Changchun isn't serious, but for the record...)

That was technically true for CRTs. But that's basically false with nearly 100% of modern displays based on variations of LCD technology.

The backlight is on for the entire display. The pixels are filtered from white down to black through little windows of liquid crystal. The transistors that twist the liquid crystal polarity are active (sinking current) when they are blocking the backlight, and passive when they are allowing the backlight through.

http://www.seanmichaelragan.com/htm...white_vs_black_screens_in_LCDs_and_CRTs.shtml

This experiment a few years ago says that an all-black LCD screen consumed 5% more power than an all-white screen.

bluescrn likes this.
  39. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

In that case I extend you the exact same courtesy.

Eric2241, AndrewGrayGames and SememeS like this.
  40. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Every time I see these threads about the dark skin for Unity free I can't help but smile. It's such a non-issue, it just looks cooler. It's pure marketing and you guys are falling for it. It took Nich nearly a month to re-do the interface for the dark skin, but it continues to prove that it was worth every minute.

The dark skin will not make your game better.

41. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

Another proposition:
    Why don't you simply ask to get all the feature of the pro version for free, instead of making a thread on every feature one by one ?

42. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

YOU LIE!!!!!!!!! That's the only reason I ever bought Pro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--Eric

P.S. As a Pro user, I prefer the light skin. Dark skins just make me depressed, really.

SememeS likes this.
  43. XGundam05

XGundam05

Except some people do actually find that low-contrast dark UIs are less straining on the eyes. So it's not just "pure marketing" for some people.

Granted, it's also perceived that a light grey color stimulates creativity...so there is that.

EDIT: @I am da bawss, if that skin actually comes to pass, I will hunt you down and beat you with my cane and sick my seeing-eye dog on you ;)

44. drewradley

drewradley

When did "never look a gift horse in the mouth" become "never look a gift horse in the mouth but ask for the saddle, bridle, reins and hitching post as well"? It's free people. eff are ee ee. Free.

45. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

Shhhhhhhh =(

46. Blacklight

Blacklight

But putting the dark skin in Free will render Pro completely worthless!

47. Murgilod

Murgilod

It's not a non-issue at all. It's absolutely an eyestrain issue if I spend any prolonged period of time at home working on my own projects compared to working on them at work.

But if it's such a non-issue, then why not just add it?

48. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

By the time you hunt me down, you could have license 10 seats of Unity Pro!
    That makes my argument even more convincing! DO IT UT !! DO IT !!! MAKE THEM FREELOADERS BLIND!! OR PAY UP !! :D

49. tamaroq

tamaroq

So.... why not giving two skins in the free version (one gray/clear and one dark) and options to customize skin in the pro?

This way, people who find clear skins inspiring are happy, people who find dark skins less stressing for the eyes are happy, and there's still incentives to buy pro. :D

50. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

I think just the fact that so many people are arguing about it is a very strong point for Unity to keep it a Pro 'feature' :D

Also I want to remain elitist, with my expensive, game-improving and making-my-life-better dark Pro-UI. I don't care for all the other features - we all know I bought it just for the dark skin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.