Search Unity

MERGED - all splash screen discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by R-Lindsay, Mar 3, 2015.

?

What would you have 'Unity Personal' changed to?

1. Unity Sandwich Edition

15 vote(s)
    9.3%
  2. Unity Indie Edition

33 vote(s)
    20.4%
  3. Unity Personal Edition

12 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Other - Reply

22 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. No text at all

80 vote(s)
    49.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

omg hilarious! No honestly I LOVE that guy and I love Unity5 (enough to pay $3000 for it).

Spending the day here has been fun. I learned stuff (technical and legal) and made friends. LOL

Breyer, Teila and Ony like this.
  2. Teila

Teila

You can bet if the Mustache Guy were a tousled hair blond in a skimpy outfit and your friend were a guy, he would have switched to Unity! :)

:p

Archania and wetcircuit like this.
  3. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

LOL and I would have gotten a refund by now... Hahahaha

bigdaddy, Teila and Ony like this.
  4. Ony

Ony

I switched to Unity because I thought the cube logo was sexy. But that's just me.

hippocoder, Teila and wetcircuit like this.
  5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hi,

It's unacceptable to troll Unity staff, including the CEO. If you have beef, make it with the company, or the product. Unity staff will not be slandered nor attacked, no matter what your intentions were. Do it again and I'll have no choice but to hand out infractions which may be severe.

Again, limit your comments to products, company and services, not individuals. Understood? This isn't the first thread you're doing it in. I make the warning public so that people understand there are lines and personally singling people out is crossing a line.

tango209, Gigiwoo, cakeslice and 4 others like this.
  6. Teila

Teila

I am fond of that box too. Something about it's symmetry appeals to me. :)

Ony likes this.
  7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I really like the new animation, and tbh wouldn't mind it on my actual Unity pro game but it can't have any silly text (beyond just Unity) imho :)

I'm not invested deeply enough to worry, but I actually think it comes off slightly desperate on Unity's part (being a moderator doesn't make unity immune from my criticism).

Shouldn't the iconic box logo appear with a feeling of strength and confidence rather than spelling out how desperate one is to be recognised?

Grafos, juggernate, Gigiwoo and 12 others like this.
  8. Teila

Teila

Yeah, I agree. I love the animation. :)

9. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Yeah animated logo is kinda like Freddy Kruger meets Transformers with a Klingon Batleth... thing.

I would totally use it too!

Teila likes this.
  10. Teila

Teila

I know someone asked this, but are these logos, especially the animated one, available for us to put on videos? I think that would be very cool, although without the text would be better. ;)

Ony likes this.
  11. Archania

Archania

What? Really you stated those movies? Ah I'm in love....

wetcircuit likes this.
  12. HemiMG

HemiMG

The animated logo kinda looks like the sword shards that went on that dude's face in the Blacksmith demo.

Ony and Teila like this.
  13. zenGarden

zenGarden

I rally hope not.
    For a bigger project some of us will get rid of that "Personnal" logo , juts by replacing it by Epic logo using UE4.
    Some other people will still be able to produce some games even using that "Personnal" logo.

14. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

If someone hates the splash screen so much that they would uproot their entire development team and force them to use a different engine and rewrite their game in a different language just to get a cooler looking splash screen, then that person is probably also willing to just pay the money to get rid of the splash screen. I'm just saying, if I was charging people $1500 to remove a splash screen from my software, and there were thousands of people saying they hated the splash screen and would do almost anything to get rid of it, I'd consider that a huge success, not a failure.

15. Teila

Teila

Eh, I have decided...my own splash screen just before the logo, the Mustached man, a sexy voice, "Unity: Personal Edition". Fade to black. Then the boring logo will be totally unnoticed by anyone. :) I will sell games just so people can see my own version of the Mustached man.

I can't wait!

UnityKen, Ony, wetcircuit and 2 others like this.
  16. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Depends if epic like you enough to allow it.

17. Moonjump

Moonjump

No I think you are very wrong on how seriously people are taking it. I have been spending time looking at alternative game engines and frameworks rather than working on my project.

I see problems both as a current customer of the free version and as a potential Pro customer.

As a free customer I see a splash screen that actively portrays me as an amateur when they previously did not. I don't mind a splash screen advertising Unity if I am getting the engine for free. It is a totally different thing when it is about my status, especially when portraying it so negatively.

As a potential Pro customer, I see how so much that gave it value is now free, so it offers so little that Unity has made the splash screen so obnoxious that the $4500 to remove it seems less bad value.

Deleted User and Ony like this.
  18. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Or dislike you enough (reference to Hatred).

19. zenGarden

zenGarden

I don't know until i don't make a succesfull game with their engine.

I think there is other subjects more important than the logo, what about the roadmap ? Will it be a minimal one showing what are planned next features ?

20. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Current version: Unity Personal Edition
    Desired version: Unity Sandwich Edition Edition

Background: While telling everyone in college how amazing I am at everything, 140dev came up as a convenient way to access tweets for a project without doing any extra work. I said boo to that, I am far to amazing to use such frameworks! I whipped out my Java, my JDBC and some SQL... and recreated the functionality of140dev that we needed in a matter of 17 minutes.

To prove my work useful, I spent the next several days running my local project, building up a database for tweets that used the word 'sandwich'. There were so many hits and so many frequent updates that 'sandwich' became the standard for future testing for our group. If you had no results, you knew you made a mistake somewhere, because 'sandwich' provides endless results.

I extend my successes, hopes and dreams to the Unity community, and also wish all of you endless results and success. UT, please consider 'Unity Sandwich Edition Edition' as the replacement title since many are dissatisfied with 'Personal'. The second word 'Edition' is not necessary, but is indeed desirable. Unfortunately, there is no thrilling story behind the second Edition, it's just a personal preference.

Use any combination of votes to express your full or partial interest in this renaming.

21. Grafos

Grafos

No official response from Unity yet? Wasn't better communication promised?

darkhog likes this.
  22. Teila

Teila

They are probably at at GDC this week. :)

23. Archania

Archania

Or dunk or recovering from drinking or haven't stopped drinking

darkhog and wetcircuit like this.
  24. Teila

Teila

Or sleeping, since they are probably up late at night. :)

25. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

They're still over there afaik, some until past weekend (some kinda jam thing), so try next week. GDC and everything right now is on the back of non stop crunch to ship. So give them time.

Also there are still teams who didn't go to GDC and these guys are still working hard.

26. Teila

Teila

Yeah, they deserve a break. :) I am sure we will hear from them once they have had time to decompress.

Ony likes this.
  27. testure

testure

i totally agree with this, even though I work for a studio that makes > $100k and have to use pro licenses. To me it's more of a branding thing.. personal edition isn't good for anybody, as it makes games that have that on the splash screen look cheap (which serves as customer repellant), which in turn reflects poorly on the engine.

being an indie is a badge of honor to both developers and gamers alike, and a splash screen that says "indie edition" or "powered by unity" has the opposite effect. You can argue that it's all semantics, but there's no denying that how something is written can influence the opinions of the masses.

"Personal edition" reads like "made by some random dude" IMO.

28. ippdev

ippdev

And Sally of Polywick Studios too. She is one of the best devs I have worked with.

29. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

how about crumpets instead of sandwiches?

30. BeefSupreme

BeefSupreme

A crumpet can easily become a sandwich.

31. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

@Teila @Ony Thanks for the likes and support, but unfortunately the thread saw 9 yes votes for 'Sandwich Edition Edition' and only 1 for Personal (and 1 for 'Free') and was closed immediately, likely due to the possibility that it would become a troll voted title.

I even put in a moving story about where 'sandwich' came from, but it did not touch the forum mods :c

Oh well, 'indie edition' it is! ... Does anyone else feel like indie should be lower case? Not sure why, it just feels right.

wetcircuit and Ony like this.
  32. Teila

Teila

Sandwich Edition? LOL Hmm, I missed something somewhere. :) Interesting though.

No worries, the voting is going well in the Feedback Section. It should easily pass 1500 votes in an hour or so. It is nice for Unity give us a way to express our opinions as a group. It feels very empowering and I think it brings us together. This is the community that Unity is famous for. :)

I made some new friends today and grew to respect a lot of you as well.

Still haven't gotten Unity 5 installed, but getting there. Lots of time waiting for files to copy, load, etc.

R-Lindsay and Ony like this.
  33. Ony

Ony

'Sandwich Edition' was making me laugh because I love, love, love sandwiches and people who know me make jokes about how I turn every meal into some kind of sandwich. There's an album coming out next month that I sang a song on and and my bio in the liner notes literally is:

"[Ony] makes music and tiny sandwiches at every opportunity. She lives in a space ship."

So yeah, if it was Sandwich Edition I'd be good with that.

Tomnnn, bigdaddy, hippocoder and 2 others like this.
  34. Teila

Teila

Cool, Ony!! I am gluten intolerant so have to limit my sandwich intake. :) Do miss them though.

jashan and Ony like this.
  35. BFGames

BFGames

Or people could just buy a pro version if its that bad. Actually think its very fair that it states that you used a personal edition, makes pro more exclusive.

They now offer more or less all features for free. People should stop complaining. If you can make a successful game then you can pay for the pro version.

36. Ony

Ony

Oh noes!

jashan and Teila like this.
  37. Ryiah

Ryiah

It feels like they put more emphasis on which edition was used than simply advertising the engine itself.

Ony and Teila like this.
  38. Recon03

Recon03

Sounds like I'm not serious about making a game, I'm just messing around... Which I do, but I actually have a company to, so personal sounds like a cheap skate and todays gamers would rip that game apart for those words I actually asked some of my friends and testers they said to me, that would hurt your game and bother people as they feel it would make the developer feel like they aren't giving the game all they got..

Remember people are a lot picker now a days about everything and anything so I don't get why its so hard to change the name.. It should say Proudly made with Unity, so Unity wins as well... Sorry but that name is horrible, and after my research I have yet to have anyone disagree from the general public ...

So simple fix Indie done..

sootie8 and Ony like this.
  39. Jaans

Jaans

Or you can choose not to pay and switch to another free engine that does not force splash screens to your games. It's not like Unity is doing charity work here. In the end, Unity needs developers more than developers need Unity.

darkhog likes this.
  40. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

what about Standard Edition

and then Professional Edition

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    darkhog likes this.
  41. larku

larku

As I've said elsewhere, 'Indie' is not a simple fix. I personally do not prefer 'Indie' much over 'Personal' - the best solution IMO is to avoid any negative connotations by having no 'edition' text. A simple branded "Powered by Unity" or similar would be more palatable to a wider range of devs.

You're happy with Indie because that's the scene you're in (I assume) - please don't assume everyone is in the same boat/scene and has the same taste. Indie for me does not fit with the profile I want to portray to my users. Yes I can remedy this by going Pro - but that's not the argument I'm giving input into.

Personal, Indie, Whatever - all redundant labels that are just not required and will do little but rub some up the wrong way.

Marionette and jamesmilkcap like this.
  42. Ony

Ony

"Powered by Unity" is by far the best choice in my opinion.

43. R-Lindsay

R-Lindsay

Yeah the consensus so far seems to be something like this:
    "" (nothing) -> "powered by" -> "indie" -> "don't play this game" -> "personal"

Gigiwoo and Maulwurfmann like this.
  44. FuguFirecracker

FuguFirecracker

"Powered by Unreal" is looking like the best choice at this point... ;)

darkhog likes this.
  45. eridani

eridani

Man I just can't resist commenting on this issue mainly because Unity seems to be gearing up for some sort of official response. But I think Makeshiftwings and Teila made some great points -- we still don't know WHY exactly Unity wanted the phrase "Personal Edition" in the Unity 5 splashscreen, even though they had no such wording in earlier versions of the splashscreen.

I'm just curious, let's say Unity gave every Unity developer a vote, and you had 3 choices:

A) Remove "Personal Edition" or replace with something else
    B) I don't care at all if it stays or if it's removed
    C) Please keep "Personal Edition" in the splashscreen!

I can see many people voting for A, and many people voting for B, but is there ANYONE who would vote for C?

If so, can you please explain why? Can you explain the benefit you get?

EDIT: I see that 5 people voted for keeping "Personal Edition" ... can you explain what benefit you get?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  46. Breyer

Breyer

@larku

In that case i think standard edition looks neutral enough (if any label is required)

@eridani good point

Teila and darkhog like this.
  47. larku

larku

Possibly neutral enough - but I'm still not sure of what 'problem' having any 'edition' text on the splash is solving or what ends it's achieving. Perhaps I'm missing the intention of this labelling, but to me it seems to be nothing but a point of contention, will likely yield more negative vs positive results for Unity and the devs that use their product.

Unity's number 1 goal is to turn good profits and make money and this is sane and a damn good idea if they want to remain in business. To do this they need paying customers - the more the better. IMO the best way to get their users to upgrade to Pro and give Unity the $$ they need is to make it as easy as possible for their users to be successful and turn the profit required to fork out for Unity. I know for sure that as soon as I start to turn a profit from my endeavours I'll be jumping on Pro as soon as I can (I won't be waiting for the 100k ceiling).

But for some of the product ideas I have, the 'Personal Edition' splash is not going to bode well for these products and certainly will not help me start turning a good profit. And to that point nor will 'Indie Edition'.

I'm by no means arguing that Unity owe us anything or should give us everything for free and should remove the contentious splash wording (though that'd be nice) - I'm simply stating that IMO they would benefit more by removing it and so would the 'free' devs. It seems like a win-win to me. As it stands right now it seems more like a lose-lose - ie, doesn't make a lot of sense from a business POV.

Moonjump, Ony and Marionette like this.
  48. Breyer

Breyer

I agree but lets face it - unity need some way to force free customer to paying customer and labelling splash screen is one way to do it. But they could do it in definitely more smart way is another thing

49. Prodigga

Prodigga

I'm left in this awkward middle zone between "I wouldn't pay $4500 to remove that" and "I wouldn't publish a game with a splash screen that said personal edition".

Moonjump, Teila, Whippets and 3 others like this.
  50. Maulwurfmann

Maulwurfmann

Maybe it`s time to have a look at the Unreal Engine :(

darkhog likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.