Search Unity

MERGED - all splash screen discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by R-Lindsay, Mar 3, 2015.

?

What would you have 'Unity Personal' changed to?

1. Unity Sandwich Edition

15 vote(s)
    9.3%
  2. Unity Indie Edition

33 vote(s)
    20.4%
  3. Unity Personal Edition

12 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Other - Reply

22 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. No text at all

80 vote(s)
    49.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

To make you pay to get rid of it?

2. eridani

eridani

We haven't heard an official answer from Unity at all. I really hope that wasn't their intent.

Moonjump likes this.
  3. Saxi

Saxi

As a Pro user, I totally agree the splash screen for free should be changed. But not to Indie, but to "Sponsored by Paying Pro customers that get no feature but to remove this useless ship".

wetcircuit likes this.
  4. sphericPrawn

sphericPrawn

Finally we get to the root of the issue!! We've made a breakthrough! See you next Wednesday.

Ony likes this.
  5. eridani

eridani

Hahaha! Although for me, "Sponsored by Paying Pro customers that get no feature but to remove this useless ship" is a close second to:

"Made by an Amateur on his Mum's Computer at home in his parents house" @yoonitee

6. Teila

Teila

Wow...just wow.

I can't wait for those Pro Only filters.

Please, talk to each other. I hope the Unity people realize what is happening in this wonderful community.

And please, don't be so ignorant. Do you really think that all your PRO licenses are paying for ours? No...most of us were not paying anyway. AND Unity would never had offered those to us if they couldn't pay for it in other ways. My guess is it is the real game developers who are out there in their studios making games, making lots of money for Unity. They have enough confidence in their abilities that they have no need to try to step all over other people, bringing them down.

You guys are just bullies and all your care about is sullying other people's joy.

Thank goodness the Unity guys do not agree with you. They have made a huge effort to make all of us part of their community.

Go stuff a sock in it.

Hippo, time to close these threads. They are getting ugly.

baguwka, bigdaddy, wetcircuit and 3 others like this.
  7. eridani

eridani

Are you referring to Saxi's post? I took it as a complete joke... I'm sure tons of Unity Free users have spend a lot of money in the Asset Store, for example.

@Saxi care to chime in?

8. Teila

Teila

Well, if it is a joke, I apologize. I was turning off my computer and going to bed, and saw this. Stupid of me to read it.

If it was not a joke, you should be ashamed of yourself. Didn't your mother ever tell you that pride comes before the fall? Don't get so cocky. ;)

PS Also, very frustrated with Unity 5 and RTP.....

Devil_Inside and Ony like this.
  9. nipoco

nipoco

Your first point is already questionable.
    "X is an issue" sounds like a fact. It might be an issue for you and others. But for a lot people it might be not an issue. Like Hippocoder said 2000, or even 3000 votes and this vocal thread here don't represent the whole Unity community. It's always the same 10 people here who like each other posts. But if you dare to raise another opinion, you're suddenly the privileged jerk. Nice.

You can't accept another opinion, don't you?! It's all wrong when people disagree with you.

10. Teila

Teila

That was not an opinion or anything. Nothing in it but ugliness and an insult...no reason for it at all..unless it was a joke. ;) (not referring to your posts)

Nipo, I completely respect your opinion..never even said a word to you about it. You are fine. And I don't agree with everything R.Lindsay said at all. Opinions are fine...insults thrown at people for no reason other than raise hackles is childish and silly. You did not do that....

The quote you used has nothing to do with opinions. It has to do with behaviors and actions, which I might have misinterpreted. Nothing wrong with calling someone out for a behavior that is harmful to the community. The below is not for you.

Some folks seem to confuse opinions with insults and put-downs and creating divisions that no longer exist. Fortunately, most folks here are mature as noted by the amazing discussions from all sides the past two days that never degenerated until after Unity folks came in here and treated us seriously. :) I guess that pushed a few...not many, but a very few buttons.

nipoco likes this.
  11. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Eh? It's a dark cyan, #222c37. See the dark shape in the upper-left of this page with the logo on it?

Screen Shot 2015-03-06 at 12.07.08 AM.png

That's the branding color they've been using for a while now (cyan); the splash screen is the exact same color, and you can see that the contrast is very high where nobody could have any problems reading it. (Personally I never really warmed up to the cyan/magenta stuff they're doing, but on the other hand it's not the worst I've seen either.)

--Eric

12. HemiMG

HemiMG

And yet you were the one who called us whiny ungrateful bitchers for having an opinion different than yours. You are the one who continually insists we are wrong for holding that position. You are the one insisting that we are the ones "making a big deal out of it" when I just updated my WIP thread with new Unity 5 features. How big of a deal am I making about the splash screen compared to what you are making out of my opinion of it? Hey pot, meet kettle.

13. eridani

eridani

Wow, this issue has already reached the #5 spot (out of 6080 active requests) of the feedback requests in just 2 days... I'm dying to hear what Unity's official response will be.

FuguFirecracker, Ony and R-Lindsay like this.
  14. R-Lindsay

R-Lindsay

If it's an issue for people, then it's also a fact that it's an issue for people... Nobody ever said it was an issue for everyone.

15. HemiMG

HemiMG

I'm not sure this thread will make it until they respond, since it has become what it has become. But I guess we'll hear the response in the feedback section.

16. R-Lindsay

R-Lindsay

Yeah, I'm really surprised about this myself.

Is this then an argument to against Unity Feedback? How high does an issue have to be to be considered enough of the userbase? It's 'only' 1800 votes behind second place...

Guys, relax. Unity are assessing it. Some people care. Others don't. It's OK, we can still be friends. Let's hug it out.

wetcircuit and HemiMG like this.
  17. nipoco

nipoco

I didn't even talk to you. You started to talk to me. Not the other way around ;)

18. nipoco

nipoco

I can agree to that :)
    If a lot people get bothered by that and Unity changes it, fine.

And now I'm out of that thread.

19. Waz

Waz

Yes, I've seen it for a while now. I didn't mean to imply it was hard to read, just that it looked a bit poor as a full-screen colour due to looking like washed-out black (even if a colour picker says it's a very dark cyan). That it's not the only colours they ever use either - the desktop Icon is inverted and black and white, for example.

You'd probably have to actually use it on iOS with a black-background launch image / splash image and a black background UI to see what I mean. No big deal either way to me - it's not my branding.

20. HemiMG

HemiMG

You didn't talk to me, but you did talk about my opinion. And you did talk to Tiela, who was grateful enough to Unity to start a thread thanking them. You are clearly making a bigger deal about our opinion than we are about the change.

21. nipoco

nipoco

Man, all I did was stating my very personal opinion in this thread. I know it was not the nicest wording and I already apologized for that if it offended someone. The rest just got out of hand. I don't make a big deal out of someones opinion at all. I just have a different one than you.

22. doppelmonster

doppelmonster

+1 for:

Powered by Unity
    Made with Unity

Or just allow us to use the old splash screen :)

Ony likes this.
  23. Zeblote

Zeblote

No, we want the new animated one, but without the subtext :) that's the whole point!

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

I stoped reading at page 2... To much bs for me ... Guys its a splashscreen. Wtf is wrong with you. No gamer will ever care about it! They could make it ugly as hell and i wouldnt care. The things happening after this screen are the ones that matter.

nipoco likes this.
  25. eridani

eridani

Sigh. Yet another arbiter of feelings.

Everyone on this thread actually quite likes the splash screen. Maybe you should read and inform yourself before commenting.

P.S. If you do indeed know that the issue is not with the splashscreen and instead with the phrase "Personal Edition" underneath, can I ask you a serious question?

If Unity decided to do a 30 second Photoshop job and change the splashscreen to not to include the phrase "Personal Edition", would that hurt you in any way? If so, can you clearly delineate how so? I'm being very serious.

26. FuguFirecracker

FuguFirecracker

Thank you for taking the time to do a thorough focus study on what gamers care about.
    Thank you again for stopping by and sharing your findings.

Slight fly in the ointment... Unity is not solely utilized for the purposes of making games.

I fear I cannot hand off a project to my client what is emblazoned with the "Personal Edition" designation.
    Not without some uncomfortable explanations on my behalf, that is...

Also, I should loathe for those uncomfortable explanations to be pass down the pipeline and my client is the one left squirming in front of his viewing audience.

Yeah... That would just suck.

Thanks alot though !

27. Josh-Naylor

Josh-Naylor

Administrator

So much to catch up on between sleeping. Some of these comments seem to be heading in a dangerous direction, let's just be careful and considerate to others as well as not going over the same thing like a merry-go round.

As Andy said, we listen and understand many concerns from all types of users who've being using Unity and big parts of the community for quite some time. Issues like this do get shared with the rest of the company (that's our job as community facing staff) and it's up to other departments to make the decisions. As I suggested when we had our announcement, handle this democratically and come together, which you have and voted :).

Remember this only happened 3 days ago, there's still plenty of time to assess the situation and react accordingly, everyone is still at GDC running around, it'd be very hard to get an official "higher-up" response and change in that timeframe.

R-Lindsay, Gigiwoo, orb and 6 others like this.
  28. Ryiah

Ryiah

How I personally judge it has nothing to do with the argument. Rather the important thing is how my potential customers judge the splash screen. I have known plenty of people who would judge a game by the splash screen. Quite a number of them have gone so far as to say "Oh, it was made with Unity. It must be bad."

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    baguwka, Ony and HemiMG like this.
  29. Thjellesen

Thjellesen