Search Unity

MERGED - all splash screen discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by R-Lindsay, Mar 3, 2015.

?

What would you have 'Unity Personal' changed to?

1. Unity Sandwich Edition

15 vote(s)
    9.3%
  2. Unity Indie Edition

33 vote(s)
    20.4%
  3. Unity Personal Edition

12 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Other - Reply

22 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. No text at all

80 vote(s)
    49.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HemiMG

HemiMG

Has anyone actively said that it was a deal breaker though? Has anyone actually said that they were for sure not going to release a game with Unity 5, that the were for sure going to switch to another engine? Or is that all in your head? What we have been saying is that it is something that is a enough of a concern to us to give us something to think about. Are you suggesting that nobody should ever tell Unity what problems they have? You do realize that no business can survive without feedback from customers and potential customers, right?

Ony likes this.
  2. R-Lindsay

R-Lindsay

A typical conversation with a privileged person about every topic ever:

- X is an issue.
    - It's not important. (privileged person)
    - Does it affect you?
    - No it doesn't affect me, but that has nothing to do with why I think it's not important. Let me explain why you are wrong.
    - No that explanation is for a different problem. I must of communicated it badly. My mistake. Here's the issue again.
    - So you are saying it's the worst issue in the world?
    No.
    - Then it's obviously not important.
    -
    But it's still and issue for us.
    - Why are you making such a big deal about this?
    -
    I'm not, I' just wanted to raise it.
    - You sound really ungrateful. If you want to get to where I am you have to work hard like I do, not complain all day. That's why your not awesome like me.
    - But it would be such a small & simple thing to make right
    - Aha! You just called it small! So you *do* agree that it's not important and you just like complaining.
    Sigh*. Don't worry about it. Your right it's nothing. My bad.
    - I'm glad I could use this opportunity to teach you.

baguwka, Moonjump, bigdaddy and 11 others like this.
  3. eridani

eridani

So the vast majority of people want it removed, or don't care if it's removed.

So why keep it?

EDIT: If anyone has an actual concrete rationale for keeping the "Personal Edition" phrase in the splash screen (perhaps one of the 7 voters above), please state your case. I'm actually dying to know

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  4. FuguFirecracker

FuguFirecracker

And why is it you feel compelled to repeatedly comment on something which you hardly understand?

darkhog, Marionette, Waz and 3 others like this.
  5. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I like the way you worded that. It's typically used to jeer and jest, but you actually quoted him saying exactly that xD

@Ony do you mind if I use that logo in future unity projects? It's a decent size for it lol :D I wonder if UT would mind...

Ony likes this.
  6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yep but opinions you know. Goes both ways. You're calling people 'privileged' which is kind of an insulting blanket statement right there. A lot of folks save up hard. $1500 dents everyone. A millionaire still feels it. You don't get to be a millionaire without a few sacrifices. As for an everyday person, well $1500 is missed.

Yes you're campaigning for a change. But if Unity chooses not to change it, you would have to accept it with good grace. This isn't campaigning for mandela's freedom or gay rights, it's just a request. And I've seen a lot of personal edition owners who are happy.

2,000 people isn't a lot of the unity userbase. Another hundred thousand appear to be quite happy about it all, and like other happy people, rarely mention it.

nipoco likes this.
  7. Breyer

Breyer

Honestly i dont see any reason for pulling this discussion further since everyone said what they want and Andy Touch already answered which i really appreciate...

Now i think we should go make games&apps&assets for AS in peace and sandwiches of course ;)

8. Teila

Teila

Okay guys, the issue was raised by a number of people, R.Lindsay took the ball and started a forum. A Unity person, can't remember who, suggested voting on the Feedback page and R. Lindsay did so.

A number of Unity folks and Moderators have been on this thread and have been nothing but supportive. They couldn't make promises but they gave us a place to talk, never shut the thread down, and even moderated when a few folks were insulting.

Regardless of what happens, we went through the proper channels to have concerns heard. We did this in a Democratic way, which goes along with Unity's goals.

I am pleased and want to thank R.Lindsay, Hippocoder, Andy, Eric, and anyone else I have missed.

Sorry that a few folks who didn't care about this issue at all had to come here and act the way they did...yeah, I had a word there but changed it. :) I don't want to stoop to insulting anyone. I am sure they had some need to be filled at the moment. Those who participated in this discussion should be proud and not have to explain WHY. All one has to do is read the thread to figure that out.

I hope to hear and see pictures about your great Unity Personal Edition games. :) Oh,and your Pro Edition games, since there were a lot of Pro folks here supporting us as well.

Gigiwoo, Moonjump, Marionette and 8 others like this.
  9. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

@Waz
    I don't follow you on the forums to know all the things you said in all the threads you post to. I started the dialog with you when you felt offended that your mobile build displays "made with unity personal edition", while you've made the actual game using your Unity pro, but built it for mobile using Unity Personal. In my opinion that seemed to be perfectly logical, since you built for mobile using the free version.Yet, you replied that that's not how it worked in U4, to which I replied that that's exactly how it worked in U4. You ignored my reply, and now you're saying that I put words in your mouth.

Anyway, we both are on the same page regarding the "Personal edition" line, so there's no point in arguing.

10. Woodlauncher

Woodlauncher

Ony did last page (for the first part at least) and I am sure others have as well. This doesn't discount your point of anyone else's though.

11. Teila

Teila

True...those people might have worked very hard to save that money. I know we did, although now we still have it. :)

However, there is no real reason why some folks had to come here and tell us we were selfish, ungrateful, etc., so I think that is a reaction to all those insults. It does go both ways and unfortunately words get tossed around in heated discussions.

Just to let you know, I don't think anyone is any more privileged than anyone else here when it comes to Unity. We all have what we need now so we are all in great shape. Pro folks are keeping Pro because they want to do so. We are not because we don't need that stuff right now. No one is freeloading....you can't free load if the object is free. No one is better than anyone else...we are all using the same product.

I did make a few jokes about Plebs and Patricians but I didn't mean it in a bad way. I called my Pro buddies in our chat group Patricians too and we all laughed. I adore my Patrician friends and I like wearing my Pleb title. :)

Marionette, Ony, Breyer and 2 others like this.
  12. HemiMG

HemiMG

Well, I stand half-corrected. Although Ony is a pro license holder who is getting out of game development. I believe her support for the cause is more moral support than an actual stake in the game. I just feel like nobody is capable seeing nuance anymore. We can voice dissatisfaction about something without hating it. Everyone wants so badly to label someone else an evil other that they take anything however far out of context is necessary to place that label on the opposition. The entire discussion about the issue was very polite and respectful until we started getting called ungrateful freeloaders. What I find particularly odd about that is that many of us who are complaining have defended Unity quite a bit. We aren't the drive by UE4 or "Where muh Linux editor" fanboys. There's absolutely zero reason to think we attacking Unity out of some sort of malice or entitlement.

13. Ony

Ony

I'd like to make clear that although I did say I would never release a game that said it was done with a personal version of an engine, I have no real intention of ever releasing any more games again anyway. One never knows what the future truly holds so that may change, but I wanted to point that out since I was quoted.

As @HemiMG said, I'm mainly here to lend moral support. :)

Ryiah and Teila like this.
  14. Ony

Ony

Hah! Have at it.

15. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Are you an artist or something? The icon looks good.

Lies! Rich people have oil and dead kittens for blood!

And there were many lolz along the way, whether we accomplish anything or not :D

16. Teila

Teila

I enjoyed it and laughed out loud a lot over that last couple of days. I learned a lot more about the people here and built relationships, if one can do that on a forum. :) As a social person, that is a highlight for me.

17. Ony

Ony

Thank you. :) Artist \ musician \ programmer \ troublemaker

18. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

You forgot impulsive tiny sandwich maker lol.

Now I just need the perfect moment to come by so I can bother andy or hippocoder to see if using that logo after Unity's is ok.

Ony likes this.
  19. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Awww, another round of trolling and the group hugs WIN! :D

Gigiwoo, R-Lindsay, Ony and 1 other person like this.
  20. Teila

Teila

Yaaaaayyyy!! :D

Gigiwoo and Ony like this.
  21. nipoco

nipoco

Yes sorry for posting my opinion here. I won't anymore. Happy?

22. SteveJ

SteveJ

How dare you try to express your opinion ;)

nipoco likes this.
  23. Ony

Ony

This is the thread that never ends... yes it goes on and on, my friends. Some people started posting to it not knowing what it was... and they'll continue posting to it forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends...

24. HemiMG

HemiMG

Now I want a lamb chop sandwich.

Teila and Ony like this.
  25. eridani

eridani

Gonna try to make this as gentle and non-confrontational as possible. But man, it's so simple... can't people understand that other people have a right to have an opinion over things they feel hurt them without being called names?

See, even you don't like it when people try to silence you or tell you to go away. But the way you came at people -- be honest -- if someone came at you that way, wouldn't you get upset too?

Someone lodging a dissatisfaction through proper channels does not enjoy being called a "whiner," "bitcher," "ungrateful"... it's just common courtesy. Let's examine what you wrote:

Moonjump, Marionette, Teila and 4 others like this.
  26. SteveJ

SteveJ

The difference is though that he's 100% right.

Devil_Inside likes this.
  27. eridani

eridani

So you are saying that everyone who doesn't like the phrase "Personal Edition" is ungrateful and deserves to be called "whiner" and "bitcher"?

28. Ryiah

Ryiah

Is he though? Most of those who are making this argument against these "whiners" are making the incorrect assumption that every single "whiner" is using Unity Personal. Yet I see a number of developers I know are using Unity Pro.

We even have some, such as Hippo, who state they would be tempted to use the splash screen on their Unity Pro projects if it lacked the extra little tacked on text.

Ony likes this.
  29. nipoco

nipoco

Fair enough. My wording was not really appropriate. I get that and apologize if it hurt someone. My main point still stands. I find that whole topic is blown out of proportion.

Not at all. If you look at my post history, you'll see that I criticized UT more than often for several things. But I don't understand the negativity over such a small tagline, especially after UT just made Unity free for all. It's like someone just gave you a Porsche for free and you start to complain about the wrong color of the seats. UT was not obliged to make Unity free.

But I guess it is wasted time to discuss that here. At least a certain group of people here won't move a inch from their stance and don't even try to understand other opinions.

30. SteveJ

SteveJ

Pretty much.

31. eridani

eridani

Thanks for recognizing that. I think everyone (even non-Pro users) just want to be heard and treated with respect, even by people who disagree with them.

32. Ryiah

Ryiah

Your comparison would be good for the arguments regarding the editor's skin. The issue with the splash screen would be like someone offering to advertise your product for free only to throw on a tag that implies that you are not a professional.

Ony and HemiMG like this.
  33. sphericPrawn

sphericPrawn

I hadn't see much negativity in this thread until the last couple of pages by a few certain posters. Asking for a small change while providing reasoning (whether it's wrong or right) is not negativity.

Moonjump, jamesmilkcap, Ony and 3 others like this.
  34. FuguFirecracker

FuguFirecracker

Well, it's about the words...

When one says that they "Hardly Understand", I am led to believe that they don't know what the *honk* they are talking about.

Maybe if you worded it better next time, there wouldn't be any confusion.

And speaking of poor choice of words...

Anyone get a look at the Unity 5 splash screen?

:p

I'll release a product branded as "Personal" when Unity Technologies puts Air Control on their show reel.

Moonjump likes this.
  35. eridani

eridani

Steve you're just an ungrateful whining bitch.

SteveJ likes this.
  36. eridani

eridani

Don't worry, I kid. But come on Steve, don't tell me that didn't get a rise out of you for half a sec.

Can't people disagree yet still be respectful?

37. melkior

melkior

I do not like any of your poll options other than "other" I'm a little dissastisfied this thread gets so much traction without better options. Additionally I'm 100% sure my post on page 12-13 will never be seen but my choices would be:

1: Made with Unity
    2: specific splashes for the target like "Made with Unity for Mobile" or "Made with Unity for Desktop" "Made with Unity for Web"

I think its generally unacceptable to ask a company giving you a product for free to *NOT* brand their product so "no text at all" sounds very poorly thought out and shouldn't be on the poll at all.

Personal Edition does taint it a lot to me for the audience; think about it UT? Do you *WANT* the customers to start getting a negative association? I think not, right?

Indie is generically okay with me but just because Indie is a hot buzzword right now doesn't mean everyone sees themselves this way ; its too specific and brands people in a way they may not want.

38. eridani

eridani

Look, bottom line for those people who don't understand the dislike of the phrase "Personal Edition" ...

It doesn't affect you at all if the phrase is removed. At all.

Zip. Zilch.

So why are you fighting so hard to defend the phrase?

39. Ryiah

Ryiah

The "no text at all" option is not referring to the brand name.

40. eridani

eridani

I assumed "no text at all" meant no text beyond "Powered by Unity" or "Made with Unity" ... you're right though that it should be clarified.

DrBlort likes this.
  41. sphericPrawn

sphericPrawn

If you have an opinion on why the tagline shouldn't be removed, great, this is a discussion and your opinion is just as valid as everyone else. But if the only opinion you have is getting personal (get it?) with the people who have an opposing opinion, maybe that's one you should keep to yourself.

eridani and Ryiah like this.
  42. HemiMG

HemiMG

Except there is someone else offering a Jaguar for free, and someone else getting ready to offer a Corvette for free. And you have to buy the cars after driving them 100,000 miles. And instead of seat colors, the objection is a vanity plate you don't agree with. And if the people giving away the cars financially benefit from you taking their car, doesn't changing the vanity plate make sense?

Ryiah, Ony and Manny Calavera like this.
  43. DrBlort

DrBlort

I'd like "Powered by Unity" or "Made with Unity" too.

TylerPerry and Ony like this.
  44. SteveJ

SteveJ

I think it should say "FORGED IN THE FIRES OF UNITY AARRRGGGHHHH!!!".

45. R-Lindsay

R-Lindsay

Unfortunately that poll is new and the result of thread merge, not a part of my original post.

melkior likes this.
  46. eridani

eridani

Dam I actually kinda like that:

"Forged with Unity"

instead of the weaker sounding "Made with Unity"

SteveJ likes this.
  47. nipoco

nipoco

This is ultimately just a splash screen that says nothing about whether the game is good, or not.

Do you seriously judge a game by two tiny words in the splash screen? At least I do judge it on it's content :p

If this is aimed at me, I don't defend that phrase. I just find it.. a bit.. inappropiate that people make such a big thing out of that, after Unity went completely free.
    If they change it, fine. But it's nothing that is urgently needed IMHO. And nothing I would demand. But maybe I'm too humble, or simply don't see why "Personal Edition" the quality of my game degrades.

And I don't like "indie" either. Then no tagline, or the old "Powered by"

Devil_Inside and eridani like this.
  48. nipoco

nipoco

Fair enough.

49. Waz

Waz

Another minor problem I have with the splashscreen is that the only choice has this greyish background almost like an old washed-out fluoro-backlight display. It would be easier on the customer's eyes (and they'd be able to read the advertising better) if a more appropriate option could be selected (I'd choose a black background, I'd guess others would choose a lighter background, depending on the initial UI background brightness). I understand of course that it's hard to please everyone while retaining the branding, and grey is sort of a compromise if only one is possible, but Unity branding is already very well suited to both black-on-white and white-on-black.

50. eridani

eridani

No one has yet offered a reason why the tagline shouldn't be removed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.