Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Menus and strategy tutorials

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Nightplague, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Nightplague

Nightplague

Ok, first of all: hi all.
    I'm pretty new to unity programming; I spent a couple of years creating some mods for world of warcraft and modding some games, nothing really big, but now I discovered another world, and i'd like to get some experience with unity and start my own projects soon.
    I had some practice, and I created some test project really nice, now i'd like to know some thing:
    1) is there any tutorial on how to create a menu, or could someone explain this to me?

2) Since i just tried to create fps and car games at the moment, i'd like to know if there are any tutorials to get some practice for strategy games.

I know it's strange to see requests from a... newbie like me, but i'd really like to learn how to use this program, so...thanks in advance for any help

2. StarManta

StarManta

1) Like a drop-down menu? There's no builtin control for it; it may be possible to build one, but you'd be on your own.

2) Likewise, you'd have to start from scratch (unless you want to buy my codebase of course :D )

3. Nightplague

Nightplague

1)both, a drop down menu, and a normal main menu, from wich you can acces various functions

4. ratamorph

ratamorph

Use the 2.0 GUI classes, all the info is in the manual, just put the code into any script and you are done. use @script ExecuteInEditMode() to make the editor run the script without having to run the game so you can see how the menu looks.

5. vkanne

vkanne

Is there a way to create main menu items in the build rather than in the editor?

6. Omar Rojo

Omar Rojo

Just the same way you create objects on the fly, like spawning enemies and adding them behaviors or with prefabs :D

GG

.org

7. vkanne

vkanne

I was thinking more along the lines of adding something to the 'File' application menu when running in windowed mode rather than instantiating gui elements within the window - the way you can add an item to GameObject by 'using UnityEditor'.

(and nice work on DA btw)