Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

MemoryProfiler with Mono backend

Discussion in '2017.3 Beta' started by Alloc, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Alloc

Alloc

Hi again,

also tried to get the MemoryProfiler feature for the Mono backend to work. Did a 2017.3.0b6 Windows development build of our game and started the player.
    Opened the Unity project for the MemoryProfiler (from https://bitbucket.org/Unity-Technologies/memoryprofiler ). Data was coming in in the normal profiler window. Then opened the MemoryProfiler window. Whenever clicking the "Take snapshot" button the editor/game hangs for like 5-10 seconds like it was doing something but then continues like normal, without any data showing up. In the player's log I always get this line when trying to take a snapshot:
    "Can not send network message. Receiver can not keep up with the amount of data sent"

Are there any additional steps to take to get the MemoryProfiler to run with the Mono backend or something wrong with what I did?

Regards,
    Chris

2. G_Wojo

G_Wojo

Unity Technologies

Hi, I tried to run profiler and it looks that there is no additional steps required. But I have few questions which should help us figure out what happening:
    • Are you able to take snapshot without connecting to external player ?
    • Is player running on the same device or some external one (f.ex. mobile) ?
    • Do you using some anti-virus program ?
    Regards,
    Greg

3. Alloc

Alloc

Hi Greg,

just tried again with b10 and still got the same issue. The player is a Win64 standalone player on the same machine, AV is only MS Security Essentials.
    In the editor it works fine (though even for a dump of our main menu it's taking like 10minutes+, hope this can be improved on :) ).

Regards,
    Chris

4. G_Wojo

G_Wojo

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    Yes we currently working on improving the memory profiling tools. But returning to issue:
    • I would check Windows Firewall settings (if it is not blocking connection to player and editor).
    • If the same issue happens on multiple machines? This would make us sure that this is not the local problem.
    If firewall is ok and you can reproduce it on multiple machines then only option I could see would be sharing with us some example project. We could then locally look into it and search for solution.

Regards,
    Greg

5. Alloc

Alloc

The firewall is completely disabled. Unfortunately I can't test it on multiple machines as I only got the Windows one here for Unity development.
    As for the project: The project attached to case 969225 is the same though stripped down. IIRC though the same thing happened when trying in this stripped down case (I don't have the stripped down one anymore though as I thought I wouldn't need it anymore and can't access the zip myself from the FogBugz page).

6. G_Wojo

G_Wojo

Unity Technologies

I have access to that files so there is not problem. I will look into that.

7. pkbis

pkbis

Hello, I can confirm the same issue for our project (I reported it on bitbucket few weeks ago). Tested with both b6 and b10, and we are experiencing the exact symptoms - the application's (64-bit exe running on the same machine) profiler data is coming to the standard window, but we are not able to capture anything from the memory profiler. Capturing in editor works.

Regarding the "Can not send network message. Receiver can not keep up with the amount of data sent" error, that one does not show up for us.

8. Alloc

Alloc

Think it's not actually classified as an error in Unity's log system, so have you checked the game's log manually?

9. pkbis

pkbis

True, my bad, sorry about that; the error is present in the game log after all. :)