Search Unity

Memory Usage in the Progressive Lightmapper Debug Panel

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by doublegumbo, Feb 13, 2018.

1. doublegumbo

doublegumbo

I've been working with the Progressive Lightmapper, but I've noticed something in the 2018.1.0b4 beta that I can't quite figure out. Unlike in previous versions of Unity, when I bake my lightmaps using the PLM, I get an additional piece of information in the "debug" area related to "Memory Usage":

(scroll down to the bottom of the screenshot)

How is this "Memory Usage" being used, exactly? Is the lightmap data taking up 2.0MB or 210 MB? Does this only apply in the editor or at Runtime, too? What are some strategies for reducing this, or should I even concern myself with it? Is this related to this issue?

thanks for your guidance on this~!

=g

2. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Hello.

Thank you for expressing you concerns. "Memory Usage" stat displays the amount of RAM used by the Progressive Lightmapper, and has nothing to do with the lightmap size itself. The amound of RAM increases based on the complexity of your scene. If you have the RAM to spare in your machine, I would not worry about the amount of memory consumed by the Progressive Lightmapper.

If you want to check the size of your lightmaps, you can refer to the line at the top of the debug window (which currently shows, that your lightmaps are taking up 2.0MB of space). Alternatively, you can also navigate to Lighting > Global Maps, and inspect your lightmaps there.

If you have further questions, do not hesitate to ask. Thank you and take care!

Kristijonas

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    doublegumbo likes this.