Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Memory Profiler Issues on 2017.3

Discussion in '2017.3 Beta' started by Player7, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Player7

Player7

Seems the useful project over at https://bitbucket.org/Unity-Technologies/memoryprofiler (maintained by Unity? wish you would switch over to github for most open these projects)

The problem is it has some new memory problems.. it takes ages (seconds 5-10-20s) before showing a snapshot now, instead of near instant as it was before... and inbetween that time can chew up anywhere from 1-4gb of extra memory before showing a snapshot and also not releasing most that extra used memory . Not good...

No such problems with 2017.2 and previous releases.

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

3. Player7

Player7

feel free to do so..

did I mention i dont bother with bitbucket as its website sucks and i'm not digging out a login for it right now.

so i reported it here, as it is todo with 2017.3, otherwise i wouldnt have reported it at all.

i'm sure unity devs can internally message the right person, it supposedly is maintained by them, frankly not even sure why it isn't just part of the unity editor already... its been out for since 2015 maybe get an intern to polish it up (like resizing the window shouldn't need a new snapshot to fix the layout of boxes) and check the other forks for any improvements.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  4. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Could you please file a bug report for this, if possible with a reproduction case?

5. DylanF

DylanF

Saw this in the release notes. Maybe helpful?

"Kernel: New argument: -systemallocator Disable managing of allocations in engine and use system allocations. Useful when using external tools for memory debugging."

6. Player7

Player7

I can't, it happened a few a times after updating to 2017.3 ofc I then updated memory profiler.... either way it doesn't have the same problem anymore.. though memoryprofiler sure does take longer to get a snapshot and display results of memory usage now with 2017.3

it should be built in and improved (ie resizable without needing a new snapshot to redraw results)