Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Memory Profiler Error : Corrupted Tail Signature

Discussion in 'Profiler Previews' started by WaqasGameDev, Jan 30, 2021.

1. WaqasGameDev

WaqasGameDev

Hi, as the title says, I was able to capture shots in the build as well as in editor. But suddenly, while capturing shot in the editor, the error came. I am attaching the reference image as well. I have tried restarting unity, uninstalling and installing package but still can't solve the issue.

upload_2021-1-30_19-7-49.png

2. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Hi there,
    Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Could you please also file a bug report via the bug reporter tool? It'll help us with some further details to narrow this down and give you an issue link to track the progress with :)

3. WaqasGameDev

WaqasGameDev

I never filed a bug but I have read many comments from your team that some reproduceable project should also be attached with bug reporting. Currently my project size is approx 25 GB and I don't know how to use git etc. How can I provide you what you need. Thanks.

4. alexrvn

alexrvn

Unity Technologies

Heya what version are you on? 19.4.9 has that problem :3

MartinTilo likes this.
  5. WaqasGameDev

WaqasGameDev

This is the version I am using for Memory Profiler and For unity 2019.4.5f1. upload_2021-1-31_14-52-19.png

6. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Then it's that issue, please update to the latest 2019.4.x version to get all the latest Bugfixes, including the one to this issue.

7. WaqasGameDev

WaqasGameDev

I will update and let you know the result. Thanks.

MartinTilo likes this.
  8. igarrickbeth

igarrickbeth

Hello, I'm getting this same exact error after Memory Profiler crashed in the middle of a capture operation. Upon opening Unity again after the crash, the Memory Profiler gives the same message as the original post and Memory Profiler is not working now. I guess it's unclear if the error caused the crash or vice versa. Either way, alas, it's broken now.

I'm using Unity 2020.3.12f1 and Memory Profiler version 0.2.9-preview.3 (installed in July 2021). Are you aware of this issue for these versions of Unity/Memory Profiler?

Thanks!

9. alexrvn

alexrvn

Unity Technologies

Heya! are both player and editor the same version? Also if you crashed during the capture process (eg you were exactly at the memory boundary before your app gets forcefully shutdown for example) the file being generated will be corrupted or not finalized. That mean it will be missing it's tail signature(some bytes we write at the end of the file as a footer), such a snapshot can not be opened right now, and will error out. We'll be improving the error message in the future to better explain this issue when it happens.

10. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Also, if you are using a matching editor and player version and get crashes on capture, could you please file a bug report for that?

(Unless it's an Out Of Memory kinda crash, that's as secured as we can make it and the scripting VM might allocate some more memory for type inflation, which we can't really stop from happening if we want a valid snapshot, and can't preallocate memory profiler buffers for as we did for the rest of the snapshotting to secure that. Doing some captures earlier in the Player session would however inflate most of these already so you'd be less at risk of an OOM crash on capture)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    alexrvn likes this.
  11. igarrickbeth

igarrickbeth

Thanks for the replies. As far as I know, the editor and player are the same, I just updated Unity a couple of months ago and I'm using Unity Hub. I have not used separate versions of the player and editor, but if there's a way to verify this, please let me know.

I'm not sure what caused the crash. Hard disk space was low at the time Unity crashed. It was all of Unity that crashed, not just the profiler. This was the first time I ever had a crash with the Memory Profiler running.

I should have maybe clarified that that Memory Profiler is totally disabled now. I don't mind about the lost capture, but I get this error on starting the Memory Profiler and can't use it. Only a blank window opens that says Memory Profiler at the top but has nothing in it. Is there any solution to get Memory Profiler working again? Maybe deleting the memory capture files? Not sure how to do that though. Thanks!

12. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Oh so it's the Editor that crashed, and not the player, and it might've failed to save the file due to low disk space?

Oh, right, yes deleting the broken snapshot file should fix this.

By default your captures are located in
    <your project folder>\MemoryCaptures\
    . It should be the temp file or the snapshot with the latest time stamp.

13. igarrickbeth

igarrickbeth

Yes, Editor crashed and my best guess it was a disk space issue.

I deleted the most recent capture file and the Memory Profiler is working again! Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated!

MartinTilo likes this.