Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.1 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for feedback on the experimental Unity Safe Mode which is aiming to help you resolve compilation errors faster during project startup.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Memory overhead with particlesystems outside of view

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by idavida, May 5, 2019.

1. idavida

idavida

Hello,
    I have this project with a massive amount of objects spread over several scenes that is usually streamed in and out. If I for fun want to load everything at once I notice that gameobjects with particlesystems takes a lot of memory even if they are not visible and far away from the cameras view.

Its a 2D-platformer so lets say 1-20 particlesystems are visible in one view - but in total the project has something like 24000 particlesystems and they take 2/5th of the projects memory usage as of now. In the real world they are not all loaded at the same time but I want to know.

Culling on gameobjects is on, everthing is static, particlesystems are all non-procedural, culling mode on system is on pause - And, actually all objects outside of players view is inactive so they shouldnt be running at all.

What else could I do? Is pooling the only viable solution or what? Using Unity 2018.3.6f

2. idavida

idavida

unityunity