Search Unity

Meh

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by masterprompt, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masterprompt

masterprompt

Sorry, we're not upgrading. We knew this *marginally* improved upgrade would be a nickel and dime thing with you guys months back and now it's official.

The whole thing is just so disheartening... It's like watching a loved one pass before your eyes.

[Edit: Your all right, Unity is the one and only GOD. I shall spend more money on Unity! and soon I will be "one of us, one of us, one of us"]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
    MeltingPoint likes this.
  2. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

A new Asset Store program offering discounts and benefits. Access is free for Unity 5 Professional Edition customers.

Unity 5 Personal Edition users will soon be able to join Asset Store Level 11 for $19/month.

3. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

Wow, really? That's would be a no brainer. Would get that!

4. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Really? Get over it. They just gave you 4500 worth of licences (based on original costs) for free. If you dont want the free upgrade, dont take it.

I've brought a few versions of pro, dont see me crying into my cereal.

landon912, randomperson42 and knr_ like this.
  5. masterprompt

masterprompt

Just because you like to waste money doesn't mean others do. What free upgrade are you talking about?

6. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

Asset store 11 isn't even needed to buy things on the asset store. It is a bonus for pro users that gives them free assets and discounts. Don't think you understand that one.

7. masterprompt

masterprompt

I see admins are already removing posts on here....

8. jashan

jashan

You're making too many assumptions, IMHO. 4.6.x is still getting patch releases and so is Unity 5.0. For me and a lot of other people both 4.6 and 5.0 work pretty fine. It's understandably frustrating when there's bugs that effect you and they aren't resolved as quickly as you'd like to - but that doesn't mean bugs aren't fixed (lots of bugs are being fixed). Usually, when you post proper bug reports with repro steps and repro projects, it's very likely that your bug gets fixed within a reasonable amount of time.

Some bugs do take a longer time (multi-editing audio-clips, WHOA) ... but when that happens it usually has a pretty good reason.

I'm very happy with Unity Pro + iOS Pro + Android Pro. Was before that announcement, am still after the announcement. Still very sorry to hear you're unhappy.

9. masterprompt

masterprompt

Where did you read this? Aiursrage2k just posted what the model says. Access is for pro users.

10. bigSadFace

bigSadFace

I think either people here or I am misunderstanding 'Asset Store 11'. Everyone still gets access to the asset store, its just the 'Asset Store 11' people get discounted/free items as part of their subscription.

11. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

"Asset Store 11" is like PS+ or Xbox Live Gold. You get discounts and free offerings. Everyone still has access to the Asset Store.

12. SteveJ

SteveJ

13. Setmaster

Setmaster

I like seeing your pov but I believe you could have worded it in a less aggressive way.

14. masterprompt

masterprompt

yeay 2 asset stores! Now no one is confused! GG Unity, gg indeed!

15. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

If you took 10 seconds from your frothing at the mouth rage fest you might open up the asset store and realize that you still have complete access to all asset store content. You will also notice that there is an Asset Store 11 section that contains free and discounted stuff for pro members. Asset Store 11 != asset store.

In other words, Best check yourself before you wreck yourself!

landon912, chingwa and AndyLL like this.
  16. masterprompt

masterprompt

Yup! Bought multiple copies for me and my team members over the years.

17. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Here is Asset Store 11. It's essentially a rotating set of assets (available to everyone, regardless of your Unity edition) that are offered for free or at a discount to Asset Store 11 subscribers. They are not exclusive assets.

18. Breyer

Breyer

No. You could subscribe for 19$/month dont need Professional Edition. Think about Level 11 as PS+ on Playstation. Regular Asset store is open for everyone. If you are really unhappy with Unity 5, there is refund policy and 4,5k$ will back to you. I dont see much reasons for complaining that much except these bugs.

19. masterprompt

masterprompt

sry, I'm just very disappointed

20. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

LOL, ok your really are that dense (either that or you are trolling). I'm out, enjoy raging over nothing and then feeling dumb later with the obvious dawns on you...

21. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Yeah unity is not going to limit the asset store to just the 19/month a crowd. You just get special discounts for pro only - like playmaker for free -- usually $95. They will probably give a big ticket item each month so it could be quite worthwhile (assuming you want what they are giving)

22. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Really? I guess you're wrong. Like most of your points actually. You manage to belittle every beta tester and hard working developer fixing bugs as easily as breathing.

I don't think anyone is interested in your comments any further because you can only make unfounded accusations and belittle people. That doesn't impress anyone.

23. ippdev

ippdev

I just open the Asset Store after your howling missive. (Pro 4.x & PE5)It is all there as far as I can see. Go smoke a phatty and chill dude. You come off way too angry and haven't even checked to see if yer statements are accurate. The one I checked was inaccurate. I am a freelance contractor and some Unity bugs have been showstoppers for me. Seems every app I use has some kind of flaw or not working as advertised routine or random crash. I get over it and do what i can to look as good as possible to my clientele and explain to them..this ain't my fault..it is the tech. They too get over it and follow my suggestions for workarounds, fakery or a new mechanic to replace what cannot be done. And still no grey hair at 57.

hippocoder likes this.
  24. masterprompt

masterprompt

hmm, ok, I see what your saying. The way the pricing model shows it, it would appear to be a whole separate service (hence the capitalization in the word Level). Perhaps they should change it to be Asset Store: Level 11 or something to indicate it's the same thing, just better subscription

25. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Uh... the pro features are all FREE now; that was kinda the whole point of the announcement. Did you miss that?

I know there are like five whole sentences in the description, but if you take the time to read all of them, you will see that it's just a bonus that gives you some free assets and discounts that change monthly. They didn't close the asset store to free users; don't be ridiculous.

26. Teila

Teila

I think someone jumped the gun after only seeing 10 minutes of the presentation. He missed the rest and was so upset that he posted without thinking it through. Hopefully, with some time to read and digest it all, he will see things a little different. Change can be scary for some, myself included.

Hope things get better for you, Masterprompt.

27. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

ok, so lets boil down your complaints to the one that actually matters.

Team Licence. The other stuff is completely irrelevant... It will cost you $20/month to add this to your fully featured version of U5 (personal). Considering an upgrade is usually around 750, that's approx 37 months worth of access for the same price.. seems legit to me. You can try it for a month, if its crap, stop paying for it. Saving of 730.

Why is the other stuff irrelevant:
    Asset Store 11. I understand this as the SAME asset store, with special, lowered prices for pro users. Only people that should be concerned here is the asset developers. Not sure how they get compensated.

Prioritized bug handling: Well, this one is sort of relevant, but hardly a deal breaker.

Customized splash screen: Who cares. If players dont wanna play your game because it pops up a unity splash screen, they're probably the type of user you dont want/care about. It comes down to how good your game is, not how good the engine is. Heard of crossy road? yeah... Think its petty they have to force a logo down your users throat? I guess that means you don't have any other splash screens in your game that shows your development studio name then?

Future platforms: They have a free model platform, I assume this wording is to cover their ass for console systems, which usually have bespoke licences Unity have to pay for, and have to pass the cost on to the user. Fair enough considering theyre giving you most of it free.

Pro community: again whoop-de-doo.. how many users here are pro anyway? 5-10%? How many after U5? 1-5% I expect.

28. SteveJ

SteveJ

*You're

DrBlort and Whippets like this.
  29. Josh-Naylor

Josh-Naylor

Administrator

Come on now, there's a way to put your point across and that wasn't the way to do it. Changing titles and OP's that much to cover up isn't either .

randomperson42 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.