Search Unity

MegaPixel beta 3

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by forestjohnson, Dec 13, 2006.

1. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Really nice work.

I love the style. The best moment in the game, was absolutely when i first saw the huge robot moving. That just looked insanely cool. I think you should try to play a bit more on that angle. I am sure it's pretty hard to make a good animated particle robot but it just gives the game such huge wow factor. More cooler looking particle characters. Also the main character could go a bit more in that direction. When i die and i just fought that cool looking robot and i am just that little particle capsule, it just doesn't feel right. I'd rather be some funky agile particle tiger or robot whatever you like. Just something i can relate more to than a capsule.

In any case, this really looks awesome. I love playing it.

3. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

I would try for an animated mesh particle emitter if I could make animated models but all I have is blender so I can't. More than 1-4 animated particle dudes onscreen at once is out of the question because I have to make each object a seperate emitter and animate it in Unity. I already get some lag with the robot on my emac.

I surely am going to upgrade the player char when you die. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Mmm, particle ragdolls.... ;)

I think I should at least explore some kind of more human looking effect for the shooting enemies that only takes one or two emitters using a complicated ParticleEmitter.Emit() type script.

4. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Btw. it's really kind of cool you tried the skinned meshes with the particle emitter. I would have never thought that this would actually work.

5. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

I didn't, I just wish I could but I can't because I can't get animations from blender. (nor do I know how to make them)

6. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

How did you make the robot then?

7. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Start with the pieces of a leg. Foot, Shin and Thigh.
    Put them together into a leg in Unity.
    Make an animation for the leg in Unity.
    Copy the leg over to the other side and offset it's animation my half the animation's length.

Attach to the main body and blend from the script that controls the robot.

All the other stuff (body, head, guns) uses LookAts

8. escondar

escondar

I like that on many levels! It captures a certain retro design feeling that is so popular these days while injecting something very fresh and addictive. I love that it seems that the unique presentation has to do with work-arounds in your software. Maybe you should not admit that!

When I realized I could jump, I started having a lot more fun. Looking forward to the final product

9. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

This is great. The powerups on the radar! Woohoo! :)

Now only (you know, the requests never end):
    * Difficulty levels.
    * Score and online scores (I'm quite sure someone would help with server side stuff for such an important task :))

10. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Difficulty levels will be easyish and I plan to add them. High scores are a different matter because I would have to impliment all of these things:

Custom mesh particle emitter text script (I should have done this long ago but I didn't anticipate having so much text. Right now I just model each paragraph in blender)

Scoring system. I have a simple one right now that just advances the levels depending on how many badguys you have killed but the points you end up with when you beat the game is the same no matter what. I would want a scoring system that awards bonuses for time, air shots, double or more kills and more.

Plus all the game and server side stuff, so I don't think it could happen before the competition is over.

11. Marble

Marble

Awesome. I got pretty far. Does the level with the floating enemies (great behavior by the way) and the spawning points repeat at the end? I seemed to go through it three times before I died.

12. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

It is three different levels.

The final level is the one after the one you died on. You can beat the game in this one ;)

13. Marble

Marble

Arrrrgghhhh! :D