Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

MegaFlow - Vector Fields & Fluid Flows [Released]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SpookyCat, Nov 3, 2014.

1. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

What is MegaFlow
    Have you ever wanted to simulate a wind tunnel in your game, or have leaves of snow blow through your village flowing naturally around buildings, speeding up down alley ways or settling slowly in the lee of an obstacle, Lava flowing down a volcano side or Waterfalls cascading over rocks, Or a car stirring up leaves as it drives along a road in Autumn, vortices for your plane wings, perhaps an object floating along fast moving water, tornadoes, or even simulate gravity around objects in space, if so then MegaFlow can help.

MegaFlow is a set of systems that allow you to use Vector Fields to control the movement of objects or particle systems in Unity. Vector fields are a 2D or 3D grids of values that describe the direction and magnitude of velocities for that point in space. The Vector Field can be generated by systems such as Maya Fluids, FumeFX, Krakatoa, etc. MegaFlow can import the files generated by those systems in the form of .FXD or .FXA files, it also has an exporter for Maya that will export any Maya fluid simulation to the MegaFlow .FLW format. You can then import a single frame or multiple frames into the MegaFlow system in Unity and then use that to control the movement of particles from either the Shuriken or Legacy particle system, or control movement of Rigid Bodies or just general objects. Don't worry though if you don't have access to any Fluid Simulation software as MegaFlow also comes with a system that allows you to author your own Vector Fields inside Unity using multiple splines to define flow directions and forces.

The movement of objects interacting with the Vector Fields is via a simple physics simulation which has parameters that allow you to control the overall force the field applies and the mass of the objects that are interacting with it, this means you can adjust the look and feel of the flow from either a very tight following of the flow to a subtle influencing only of objects that move through the field. You can change the force the field exerts or reverse the flow direction. All the values can be adjusted at runtime via script of the Unity animation system if required.The physics code used is optimized for performance and makes use of multi threading on any system that has multiple cores for super fast performance even with 10's of thousands of particles being moved.

If a system such as FumeFX or Maya fluids has been used to create the Vector Fields then that would allow you to place obstacles into the flow, if the flow is then used to control a Particle system you can get even more performance back by disabling the collision system in the Particle system, since the Vector Field will now handle moving the particles around objects in the way, this can get you quite a saving in CPU time in complex scenes. You can off course still use the collision system of the particles or rigid bodies alongside the flow system if you wish.

The Vector Field source can have any number of Vector Fields loaded so you can do animation of flows if required, or just easily swap the flow field being used to change the look and flow of your scene. You can ask the system to show you the flow through the system of objects via the visualization options, or display the flow as either vector lines or colored cells.

Included in MegaFlow are various components to help you use the Vector Fields in your projects. There are components to control the Unity particle systems as well as a component you can attach to any rigid body object that will then allow that object to be influenced by the Vector Field. There is also an example Smoke Gun script that will inject large numbers of objects into a scene so you can see how they flow.

To find our more about the system as well as the complete docs on the various parts of the system please visit our website. http://www.west-racing.com/mf/?page_id=5892

Features
    • Support for FumeFX FXD file import
    • Support for FGA file import
    • Custom Maya Fluids Exporter
    • Create Vector Fields in Unity
    • Multi-Threaded physics
    • Highly optimized physics code
    • C# Source Code Included
    • Multiple frames of flow data per source
    • Control Legacy or Shuriken particles
    • Control Rigid Bodies
    • Control Normal Objects
    • Works in Unity Free
    • Works on Mobile devices
    • Flow visualization
    • Create a 3d Texture from the flow
    • MegaShapes Lite included
    Available Now

MegaFlow is available no on the Asset Store or on our Website for the special early adopter price of $50, as with all our assets we will be adding new features over the coming months so if you have anything you would like to see please let us know.

Video Examples
    Below are some videos showing the MegaFlow system being used in a couple of scenarios, the first uses a Maya Fluid simulation to simulate the airflow around objects in a scene, the second shows the in Unity creation of Vector Fields from splines and that then being used to control a particle system. The third shows a Vector Field being created inside Unity using splines to define flows.

NB: Moving sources is not included yet will be in the next update which will also see a price rise

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    chelnok, VIC20, John-G and 1 other person like this.
  2. DMeville

DMeville

Wow this looks really great. You never fail to impress!

3. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

look awesome

4. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Thanks :) Just done a quick update to the system to add some more features. You can now use your own color gradients to define the colors to use to represent velocity. Also added flow arrows to the Create Flow from spline system to better visualize the flow as you create it, and also added a new page to the docs on the site outlining the FLW file format in case you need to get your own custom flow field data imported into the system.

Also forgot to add a video showing the 'SmokeGun' system being used to fire hundreds of mesh objects into a flow scene.

Changes in v1.01
    • Added flow arrows to the Create From Spline gizmos to show the flow direction and force for that spline.
    • Added option to ring display to adjust alpha value.
    • Splines remain visible when Create Flow object selected.
    • Option to have Create flow gizmo always on.
    • Added option to show color of velocity vectors based on either direction or magnitude
    • Added editable color gradient for showing velocity magnitude
    • Added option to show color of the grid cells based on either direction or magnitude
    • Added FLW file format page to website
    • Added gradient color option to create flow from splines system.

5. sloopidoopi

sloopidoopi

As always absolut incredible!!!

6. elbows

elbows

Doubt I shall resist buying this for more than a few more hours.

Any idea if it seems to work ok with the current Unity 5 beta?

7. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

There are some bugs still in the conversion process it seems in Unity 5.0, if you import the asset into Unity 5.0 Beta 11 the scripts seemed to get detached from the objects, but if you create objects from scratch everything seems to work fine. I can't test for long though for my Unity 5 just keeps freezing up for several seconds even with empty projects making it virtually impossible to use.

8. Pulov

Pulov

This looks megacool

DMeville likes this.
  9. sloopidoopi

sloopidoopi

Here my first impressions from MegaFlow: MegaCool!
    A long dream working with flowfields in Unity comes true.
    I had only some workflow suggestions:
    When i want to create a flowfield from splines it would be great to have some sort of preview of the flowfield. Right now i change my splines and hit "Create Flow", then i have to switch to the MegaFlow source and select the new frame to see the flowfield. If it doesn't fit my need i have to delete the frame and go back to the Create Flow component. So what about a preview button on the Create Flow component and a second button to add the flowfield to the MegaFlow source explicit? So you can only add the flowfield if you like.
    It also would be a timesaver to have some sort of manager component to handle a bunch of gameobjects that should be moved by a flowfield. Right now i have to add to every single gameobject a special component and make my changes on every instance.

10. Karearea

Karearea

Looks brilliant, and I think I'm going to be purchasing MegaFlow on the strength of the videos (and previous experience with MegaShapes). I've been working on a glider prototype using UnityFS, and have already set up a fairly crude trigger-based approach to wind volumes. It appears I could use MegaFlow instead, and get better results by laying splines around my terrain. However, it would be nice for different aerodynamic setups to be affected by the flow field differently- I could probably adjust the force effect on the rigidbody from my interpretation of the video, but was wondering if there could be an opportunity for the two systems to speak to each other in a more integrated way?

11. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Firstly just submitted a small update to the Asset Store, fixes some exception errors if you delete all frame data from a flow source and then try and use that source to control something. Also fixed a mismatch in the coloring of Velocity data between the vector lines and the cell coloring.

@sloopidoopi - I will be adding more visualization options to the create from spline system, we did add flow arrows in the previous update so will likely add more options like that, it can't really show the exact flow as that can be quite a time intensive process to calculate but will see what can be done, possibly a reduced grid option could work.

I will be adding an improved system for controlling options, allowing you to define the objects to use and settings and then those will be created for you such as in the SmokeGun system. The controller scripts currently included ie particle, rigid body etc are ones we have been using in our projects but fully understand that other users will require different systems so just let us know and we will do our best to get them added.

@ddnharris - There should be no reason at all that MegaFlow could not be used alongside UnityFS, it would a simple case of finding the velocity value for the position and then computing a force from that and feeding that into the flight sim model, pretty much as you would for any global wind speed and direction that the sim already uses, you just replace those values per frame based on the glider position.

Changes in v1.02
    • Fixed an exception if particle system was trying to use a flow source with no frame data.
    • Fixed an exception if rigid body controller was trying to use a flow source with no frame data.
    • Fixed an exception if effect controller was trying to use a flow source with no frame data.
    • Removed some old code.
    • Fixed a mismatch between cell and vector colors when showing magnitudes.

12. Karearea

Karearea

Thanks- Have bought the asset and tried an initial test with a flow field around my terrain. At this point I have been attempting to use the Mega Flow RBody component, so both UnityFS and Megaflow are applying forces to the rigidbody, but I suspect that my aircraft are simply to high in mass to be affected as I'd like them. Furthermore, I'd been previously translating the aircraft per second when in wind triggers, rather than applying a force to it, as I was thinking in terms of wind as a moving reference frame and therefore not affecting the rigid body with forces per se.

As you suggested above, I'd be better off simply sampling the flow at the current position, and then feeding that into my system. Is there a simple way to get the sampled velocity value as a vector3 every frame? I'm no coder so I've been wiring the assets I've been using together with simple Playmaker FSMs, although I have a working system already to adjust the aircraft with vector3s- this would simply be a far more elegant way of sampling them.

As I'm using Playmaker, a component that measured the vector3 at the location of a game object, for a selected source, and printed that as a public vector3 variable would be my ideal feature, as I can then use the get property action in Playmaker to interpret it.

Cheers,

Nick

John-G likes this.
  13. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

I will add some API calls like that for you, just using the system myself in a project and am finding more things that need to be added so expect more features and updates soon.

14. Karearea

Karearea

Thanks! appreciate you help. Really enjoying using MegaFlow so far, it certainly meets the same high standards I've enjoyed with your other assets.

One final request would be a trigger system (which I can probably do in Playmaker for the meantime), whereby as the glider flies into the next flowfield, it automatically switches to that source as the sample.

Cheers,

Nick

15. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

New version in the AssetStore, this adds a preview mode to the Create Flow system so you can visualize the created flow before adding it to the flow source, it has all the same visualization features as the flow display. Also each frame can have an offset value which is useful if you are using multiple frames of flow data all of different sizes, you can position each frame independently now. Also added a 'Normalize' flow button, this will normalize the flow data so you can then control the overall force using the Scale value, again useful if you are linking the flow to a moving object, say a car, if you use a normalized field then you can adjust the Scale value to fit the speed of the car. Also fixed an issue in the generate Texture3D option with negative values not mapping correctly and finally started an API section on the MegaFlow help page outlining some methods to get the access to the flow data directly, will be adding more to this section soon.

Changes in v1.04
    • Each frame can now have an offset value, useful if using multiple frames of different sizes.
    • Added option to the inspector normalize the flow frame data.
    • Added a preview option for the Create Flow system, so you can quickly see the current flow without having to send it to the flow source.
    • Fixed issue in Texture3D builder with negative values.
    • Added API section to MegaFlow docs, GetGridVelWorld, SetFrame, SetMatrix, GetCol methods.

16. Hrothvitnir

Hrothvitnir

I'm interested but would like some ideas on practical use/performance. Could these be used to control small particle systems that get toggled on and off quickly/frequently, like for different spells a character might cast (without controlling a whole environment)? Could you run multiple such instances at once?

17. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

MegaFlow could certainly control any size particle system, world size or for doing small effects around say a fire, and would be fine for controlling particles around a player. You can have any number of flow sources in the scene, they use no CPU unless they are controlling something. As for performance actually moving a single particle on my machine takes 0.0004ms so that would mean a system with 2500 particles would take 1ms, and you can nearly halve that if you turn threading on. Plus in the smoke and rocket scene the scene ran faster using the flow field as I could turn of collisions on the particles.

18. Hrothvitnir

Hrothvitnir

That sounds good, I will probably pick this up then.

One other question that came to me just now. Is it possible to introduce a degree of randomness somehow, for example if we're using this to simulate wind, wind can very in direction and intensity somewhat.

19. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

We will be adding new controllers to the system with various options, some randomness would be something we can do. We could have an uber controller with loads of features but trying to keep the particle controllers as streamlined as possible.

20. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Fixed an issue with the previews not being saved with the scene and causing an error message when scene loaded again.

21. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

A new version in the AssetStore, this adds the start of the Flow Modifier system to the Create process, you can now add multiple objects with colliders to the flow creation and select a modifier action for that object, currently only one modifier, Velocity Change, is available but more will be added. Velocity Change allows you to use the object to modify the velocity value in and grid cells the object encloses, so you could zero out the velocity to form barriers, or amplify the velocity in specific regions.

22. John-G

John-G

Could you do a video showing how a flow reacts to an object being moved into the flow.
    Does megaflow only work with static objects predefined within the flow simulation frame or does it allow for moving objects to react within the flow simulation?

23. lazygunn

lazygunn

I'm extremely glad you ended up making this, i was unsure on wether you were going to go with the idea (while the fumefx import made me think it could be crazy not to offer that kind of information for driving things in unity) - i hope i can get my coins together before i miss the early adopter cause i'm almost without a doubt that the functionality in this system could be appearing absolutely everywhere in my next big ambition in all kinds of guises. Very pleased

24. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

@John G. You can use the flow data to control any object or particle system it does not need to have been present when the flow was created so you can have any of your game objects interact with the flows, for example if you have a set of rigidbody objects that use the flow the flow physics will basically just add a force to those objects based on their position in the flow field, how they react will then depend on their mass and the force values you have set for the field, those objects are still free to be influenced by any other force in your game or collide with the scene etc.The flow data itself is set so moving an object into a flow does not actually change the flow data at all, that would require a full fluids simulation system and be very expensive on CPU time, the idea behind MegaFlow is to harness the power of such fluid simulators and use their end result to approximate fluid flows in a game.

We are using the system in our game for various things and I am working on some more examples to show potential uses and we are adding more controller types and features as they get suggested by users, as with our other assets it is amazing the different un-thought off uses the systems get used for so always get interesting emails asking for such and such a feature.

@lazygunn We got to a point in our game where I needed to dust of the FumeFx system so thought might as well get it ready for release as other people using it will make it better for all.

John-G likes this.
  25. lazygunn

lazygunn

FumeFX is not a trivial plugin having used it somewhat and hope to again, i think it was a good decision to open up its simulation abilities to Unity, theyre extremely potent, i've already considered the situation of using a dx11 fluid sim like Fluidity to be guided and have interactions with FumeFX simulation data in MegaFlow and get quite possibly superlative results reminiscent of of a FumeFX simulation rendered itself. Then in another part of my intended project it could work great for simulating turbulance and modulating hot air refraction during a great, almost vertical, forest fire. Upping the amount of simulation sources you can support opens opportunities everywhere

Again, not trivial software and maybe not relevant to your needs but do systems like realflow and houdini have a place in this asset?

Using the early adopter terminology could have been well chosen, cause bringing all that capability into Unity, even precooked, could have the value of something like this rocket as features were added. I'm considering doing something audacious to muster the $50 quickly

26. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

We do have a parser for RealFlow files but we do not actually have a copy of RealFlow here so we have not been able to test it with anything and cant seem to find any examples on the web but no reason at all why realflow wont be added as soon as we can try some data. Same for Houdini, Krakatoa or any other fluid system, some of these can already write fxd files so will work fine but for others just need access to example files. We are also planning on supporting playback of particle system data directly as well.

27. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

28. Karearea

Karearea

Hi,

Thanks for adding the API section to the docs. I've asked for help on the Playmaker forums to convert the methods to an action after my own attempts failed, and attempted to use the invoke/call methods actions to do the same, but without success.

Would it be possible to add a simple component to the next update, to sample a chosen source every frame, and return the Vector3 flow and colour rgb floats as publicly visible variables on the component, as per the methods you described? That would allow me to then simply get the variables from the component using the get property actions in Playmaker.

Still wrapping my head around the full potential of this asset, will be sure to post my results here later. Also tempted to buy the Learning Edition of Realflow to ascertain whether I want to use physically simulated vector fields, or continue to manually optimise my own from splines- happy to supply Realflow data if I decide to try it out. (Edit: looks like the export is restricted..)

29. Karearea

Karearea

30. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Just submitted an update to the Asset store and on our website, this brings some more optimization to the particle controller code, and also allows you to use a Texture3D in the Create Flow builder, so if you already have a flow source as a texture 3d object either generated by MegaFlow or created externally to Unity or even Unity via say NumberFlow you can now select that as the flow starting point and then use the splines to add to the flow and the object modifiers to block or amplify that flow. Also changed the Texture3D code so it is now compatible with the layout used by TCParticles so you can now use the flows from MegaFlow as controller textures for that GPU particle system or any others there may be out there. We added an option to allow you to re-sample a Flow Frame to a less dense grid, so you can test to see if a grid say half the density makes much difference to the flow results in your scene and if not you can use that and save a load of memory.

We have also been working on a new feature that will be coming soon to MegaFlow and that is moving flow sources,it allows you to have moving MegaFlow sources in a scene that follow the path of a moving object and allow that object to interact with particles as it moves through them. The video below is in two parts the first part of the video shows a scene with leaves and smoke and a car driving through them, as expected no interaction happens between the car and the particles. With the Moving source system turned on the car will now react nicely with the leaves and smoke, dragging the particles along in the MegaFlow vector field that is attached to the car. The Vector Field was generated using FumeFX in 3DS Max and imported into MegaFlow.

Also the inclusion of the Moving Source system will see the end of the early adopter pricing for MegaFlow, so if you are thinking of getting MegaFlow act soon :)

Changes in v1.07
    • Further Optimizations to the particle controllers.
    • Changed the Texture3D create mode to fit the TCParticle layout.
    • Include setting for splines now respected in create flow.
    • Option to use a Texture3D in create flow mode
    • You can now re-sample the current frame to new grid dimensions, handy for testing smaller grids for better memory use.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  31. radimoto

radimoto

Awesome! I will definitely be buying this :)

32. John-G

John-G

Now that one sold me. Purchased.

Karearea likes this.
  33. sloopidoopi

sloopidoopi

The new Texture3D layout for TC Particles is a killer feature! MegaFlow was the missink link in the TC workflow. It's Christmas in November ;):):):)

John-G likes this.
  34. Karearea

Karearea

Great stuff- I've contacted Jean Fabre on the playmaker forum to get the ball rolling on some actions for MegaFlow, he mentioned he might be in touch as some of the method signatures are using a 'ref'. I've started laying out the atmospheric flow for a couple of levels (thermals, anabatic wind etc.) in anticipation of being able to sample them at a point in space, and the dust etc I've got blowing around looks amazing- particularly where you get a bit of turbulent airflow.

Incredibly excited for the moving source system!

35. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

36. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

@ddnharris - Had a quick look for how to add actions for Playmaker but couldnt find any docs on it, I will wait to hear from Jean, easy enough for me to add any methods that would make life easier for Playmaker. Will add your component for sampling a point in the flow today as well.

Will be adding more features to the moving source system over the weekend and next week so please do let me know if there is something you would like to see so I can see if we can do it, same goes for any other part of the system, got a big todo list but feedback from users or potential users is still the best resource I find :)

And don't forget the early adopter offer will be ending soon :)

37. lazygunn

lazygunn

This just keeps getting better! Absolutely top notch stuff - id like to think i had some realflow data from a time long long ago, i'm not sure if it's relevant now, but then I might be able to get something more current, possibly via digital training learning assets. The limits to me at the moment are simply the ways we can use the data to push things, as said elsewhere, a volumetric fluid simulator in the manner of fumefx (Fluidity is great but looking a little abandoned, will contact the author) that might leverage this information could do.. really awesome stuff haha. When my first idea was to have it drive the refraction of turbulent air in a forest fire i cannot say this is not a bargain at this price , especially with Spookycat's excellent support and maintainance/feature additions added over time, it could easily be worth way, way more, if it keeps with its promise

38. Karearea

Karearea

Thanks! Really appreciate your help.

Not so much a feature request, but interested to understand some use cases with moving sources. ie. you have dust blown by a fixed environmental source, car drives through it with moving source- trigger a momentary switch in source on the particle system?

39. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Well some uses could be the cases shown in the video a car driving through leaves, or down an alley way with litter, or a Helicopter landing on a dusty strip and seeing the dust move away and swirl as the helicopter moves about, aircraft flying through clouds, or a sword swishing through a particle system, or you character walking through fog or smoke from a fire.Tyre smoke wrapping around a spinning tyre, exhaust and tyre smoke reacting with cars movement etc

40. Karearea

Karearea

Ah, sorry, I meant to ask whether a particle system could be affected by a general fixed source, and then be affected by a moving source when it's within a certain area of influence. For instance the dusty helicopter strip would have wind blowing across it from a flow source representing surface wind, and then as the helicopter draws near, becomes affected by the helicopters moving source.

My own intended use is for light clouds to be blown by wind around the terrain, but to have the wingtip vortices spin them around as an aircraft flies through them.

I could do this with triggers connected to the particle system for example: by default using the 'world' source, but swapping to a moving source if one is detected within the particles trigger volume.

41. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Oh right sorry, yes for sure in fact the particles in the demo are being controlled by the normal particle system forces and velocities etc the MegaFlow simulation is running on top of that, I just turned of the wind and random forces to just show the effect of the vehicle moving through it, so it is no problem at all if you have clouds or smoke being moved by the particle system or whatever and then have the effect of the vehicle moving through will just work with that and if any particles are moved into the path they will automatically be effected as well. And as you say it is easy enough to enable or disable the moving source or MegaFlow systems if they are out of range or not needed, and they can even be faded in using the 'Scale' values.

42. elbows

elbows

I have everything working well with particles, but I'm having terrible trouble trying to get any other game objects (i.e. meshes with or without rigidbody components) to respond to the flow, no matter what scripts I attach. I hesitate to ask in case I am doing something really stupid, but the most basic of samples scenes using smoke gun etc scripts would be appreciated. Or a step by step with appropriate values.

43. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

If you are using Rigid bodies then the system will use the mass of the rigid object in the physics simulation, so if you have anything that is remotely heavy then you will need to greatly increase either the Area value or the Scale value on either the source or the controller. The particle controllers have a mass value and you can see that the value is very low around the 0.02 mark which is what you would expect for items such as leaves etc to be influenced by a flow, so try either educing the mass value on your objects or as I said increase the Area or scale values.

We will be adding better demo scenes in upcoming releases, so will make sure we have working examples of each component.

Also a quick note to say the docs on the website have been updated to cover the new features and new inspectors in the system.

John-G likes this.
  44. John-G

John-G

Do megawires respond to flow also?

45. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Not presently but could easily add a component that would do that just needs to replace the current Wind Zone component in MegaWires would be very easy to do, will put it on the todo list :)

John-G likes this.
  46. Karearea

Karearea

Thanks for the clarification @SpookyCat -Looking forward to incorporating the raw vector3 field data, the documentation for the Sample Field component looks ideal for my uses.

Hadn't seen the MegaWires asset before, could be too much temptation to resist with MegaFlow functionality built in! thinking glider tow-ropes... :cool:

47. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

@John G. - Added support for Flow sources to the wind system in MegaWires, you will need the next update of MegaFlow before it will work. The Flow Wind source also has the normal wind and turbulence settings so you can add that to the flow source if you need to.

John-G likes this.
  48. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Just a quick post to say the early adopter price for MegaFlow will be ending soon so if you were thinking of getting the system act quickly.

49. JamesPomme

JamesPomme

Looks really great!
    One question: If I want to have Gameobjects that can move and also slow down the wind via viscous friction, what should I use with MegaFlow?

50. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Mmm you are getting into the world of fluid dynamics and simulation there and not really what MegaFlow is about at his early stage. Having said that the velocity data is available to change to it could be done in a very simple way by directly damping the velocity values in the grid. Can you perhaps explain the scenario a bit more and what you need?