Search Unity

Official MegaCity Feedback & Discussion

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by smcclelland, Mar 19, 2019.

1. sharpwind11

sharpwind11

Why do you guys not put it on the Github, since the download server is unstable

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

Probably due to project size.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  3. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Several reasons:
    1) The import-texture-processor script always compile to BC4 or 7, anyway what you set up in the editor. This took time to import. Rename this script extension to .cs0 or mark it as hidden in Windows. Unity does not recognize files or complete folders are hidden in file OS system. You should take care about to have "visible hidden files" under folder properties in Windows first.

2) The Textures are not optimized for ppl are interesting in code only. Textures use 16bit and use a lot layers at 8K. Most of them are >500MB. Change the original Textures to 8 bit RGB and flatten all layers and set them to dxt5/1 in unity.

On my oldest 10 year old cheesy laptop with the first Windows7 64b and Sp1 4GB, I reduced all Textures to max. 512 dxt5. I got 15fps in editor. Absolutely great ECS performance al the way.

Eg. having below 3 frames indicates Texture Swapping at GPU Memory overflow or HDD Swapping. Also Texture sampling is at the core of all Memory Bandwidth costs. The fewer textures we use, and the smaller we make them, the better. The more we use, the more cache misses we are likely to invoke, and the larger they are, the more Memory Bandwidth is consumed transferring them into the Texture Cache. Such situations should be simplified as much as possible to avoid severe GPU bottlenecks in case of weak hardware devices and insufficient GPU Memory.

There is a another temporary optimization you can set in Unity Editor. Set LOD Bias in the Project Settings > Quality to < 1. Values below 1 cause to enlarge the virtual distance to the LOD objects.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  4. georgeq

georgeq

Thanks for the so detailed explanation, however nothing of the above has something to do with the real problem. After banging my head against the wall for hours (metaphorically) I discovered this wasn't neither a CPU nor a GPU problem, but a UI design flaw. As a seasoned PC user I did expect the game to respond to mouse commands, but it didn't, so I assumed the game was performing extremely bad, and that assumption was reinforced when I saw the game eating most of my memory and CPU, but that wasn't the case, because when (after hours) the idea of trying with the keyboard instead of the mouse came to my mind, I was finally able to see some action.So, as you can see, all this fuss was caused just because someone forgot to make sure the UI was able to support mouse input.

5. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Never had problem with the default setting and mouse input by default in buidl or editor in MC. Perhaps you USB mosue rate is set to 1000Hz ?

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  6. georgeq

georgeq

Hmmmm... I don't understand how that would affect this game and this game only?... I think is most likely that you have a newer version where this issue has already been solved... I don't know the version number, but I think I have the very first. Thanks for your interest, I do appreciate it very much.

7. HiWill

HiWill

how about occlusion culling ?

8. snaecoperth

snaecoperth

I have high performance SSD, with i9-9900k and Radeon VII (not that it mattered as the Demo never used my GPU), I was running about 45-70 fps on Average, with CPU maxed out most of the time, but was still responsive to input.

Tried to make a Build, but it seemed to fail somewhere.

Loved the MUSIC - was that a RIP from Blade Runner ?
    Sad to say there was no collisions and the AC Sounds seemed like over kill - but I understand they are trying to push systems to the limit.

I'm sad that it doesn't' work for newer Unity versions, why only a specific version?
    In fact, I can't find the C# Jobs in the Package Downloads any more, lets hope in the next 2 months they have something for us at the Events/ Unite's around the world ..

9. snaecoperth

snaecoperth

OK there is so many videos I had to shuffle though, but I can answer some Q's here.

The Cars are Objects, they are spawned in on a Rail system that gives each Car/Vehicle a slightly random speed, they don't use ray-tracing, they split the Rail system into parts and they Run the Entities though a System that detects what is in front of them, if they are about to occupy a space in front of them that has another vehicle, then they will be updated with "Move to the adjacent rail that free" - this could be a vertical or horizontal rail. Why they did it this way, don't ask me.

I had to search though Youtube very thoroughly just to find some answers.
    Unity hasn't grouped the DOTS very well, and I found some YT on a second channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLD4SqNu97cJ7u19WMUeZCA

Artaani and AlanMattano like this.
  10. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

snaecoperth likes this.
  11. shredingskin

shredingskin

Is there any way to make this work in 2019.2 or 2019.3 ?
    After updating all the packages I get this error :
    Library\PackageCache\com.unity.rendering.hybrid@0.1.1-preview\Unity.Rendering.Hybrid\LightComponent.cs(86,16): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'ShadowUpdateMode' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    And a bunch of errors directed at the audiosystem scripts.
    I'd love to understand how the hybrid renderer works, but there's so little documentation yet

squeaky-clean likes this.
  12. florianhanke

florianhanke

See my answer here, I hope it helps: https://forum.unity.com/threads/unit-testing-setup-for-ecs.723035/#post-4830824

shredingskin likes this.
  13. r618

r618

btw it's possible to make this work in 2019 LTS:
    Annotation 2020-06-13 015640.PNG.jpg
    spent better half of the day yesterday with it but seems to be running, at least in the editor )
    that was mainly because I was doing it off of external USB drive, but few manual tweaks were needed here and there
    I'll post upgrade guide later if there's interest
    (nothing would be more welcome that official Unity upgrade for LTS of course)

14. axvr

axvr

https://prnt.sc/t1hyrf

I got this error when import with 2019.4 LTS (see screenshot above)

Code (CSharp):
    1. An error occurred while resolving packages:
    2.   Package com.unity.entities@0.0.12-preview.29 has invalid dependencies:
    3.     com.unity.jobs: Resolved version [0.0.7-preview.8] does not satisfy requested version [0.0.7-preview.9]
    5. A re-import of the project may be required to fix the issue or a manual modification of C:/UnitySSD/2019/Megacity_17062020/Packages/manifest.json file.

15. r618

r618

Thread with upgrade process which worked for me is here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/megacity-demo-2019-lts-community-upgrade-thread.914306/

ScriptsEngineer likes this.
  16. axvr

axvr

17. axvr

axvr

Still unavailable to fix all the packages error. Where can I find a Windows build? Just want to play it now. Thanks!

18. Vict0r3znov

Vict0r3znov

Hello guys, i have 283 errors with this project, i've never used ECS before and guess its a mistake to start with such a project, but i spent a lot of time downloading and importing the project so at least i wanna open the project for once,
    can anybody help me please i have errors like in the picture

19. Vict0r3znov

Vict0r3znov

guys i'm opening the project here the required unity version why am i getting arround 300 errors then ?

20. charleshendry

charleshendry

You're missing packages. Looks like you don't have Unity.Mathematics or Burst installed. Probably others as well. Just google the types and you'll find what packages they belong to.

21. Arowx

Arowx

Could Unity make it so missing package errors link to downloading the relevant package, or automate the process in a way that will allow the user to trigger downloading the missing packages?

22. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Unity already does this through package dependencies. The idea is that you only install few higher level packages that handle the rest automatically. It can go wrong especially if user itself installs mismatched packages and you see tons of errors like in that screenshot.

For example you should never have to install mathematics package manually if you use DOTS as it's always included as package dependency.

To sort this out without having to know which packages you need to have a functional system, open your project packages/manifest.json manually and take out all dots packages except the higher level ones, for example these can stay:
    hybrid.rendering, unity.physics, unity.platforms.windows (etc).

If you don't need hybrid renderer or dots physics, you can also install entities package manually but otherwise it will be automatically installed through hybrid rendering or unity physics package. Sometime you may want to upgrade the entities package itself manually if Unity doesn't release all dots packages at the same time but for the rest, you should just leave them as is unless you have some issue with some specific dependency.

Vict0r3znov likes this.
  23. Vict0r3znov

Vict0r3znov

hi thanks for the help, yes they were, and i installed them already, now i'm facing new errors like, well they all have the same problem which is the StringBuffer could not be found, its inside the library packagecache, tried to google this error and still nothing, didn't find a solution to my case :( if you can help me i can share another screenshot ?

24. Vict0r3znov

Vict0r3znov

well no as i said i'm arround couple errors, most of them about something called StringBuffer in the library/packagecache, which i didn't understand yet, is that one of the problems that comes if i install some packages manually? cause i did installed mathematics then DOTS,

Also, If its possible, is there any specific steps to take to import the project and get rit of the errors :(

25. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Oh my bad, I didn't realize I replied on Megacity thread :oops: My comment was more for the package dependencies rather than MC.

Megacity sample does open as is without any changes if you use just use the Unity version mentioned to use for this project (https://unity3d.com/unity/beta/2019.1.0b7). I have no idea about the community upgraded versions for this as I've only tried the original setup.

26. Vict0r3znov

Vict0r3znov

And you already did helped me in an indirect way :D
    what happened was the following, i imported the project but unity didn't (for some reason) import the packages mentioned in the manifest, and what i did installed them, starting by mathematics and stuffs like that then i installed the ECS, after reading your comment i re-opened the project again, same problem but this time i started by installing those high level stuffs like installing ECS only without mathematics, and it solved the probelm already :D
    Thanks buddy, i appreciate that !

rz_0lento likes this.
  27. Arowx

Arowx

28. pevyhlas

pevyhlas

Is there a version of MegaCity project that targets Unity 2020.2 or are there any plans to bring it up to date with the latest official releases?

29. OneAndOneIsTwo

OneAndOneIsTwo

Is the github page for this project just deleted now i cant find it on google anymore....

30. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

It was never on github. Download link at the end of this page: https://unity.com/megacity

31. keeponshading

keeponshading

32. axvr

axvr

Is there a github for 2020?

33. Antypodish

Antypodish

Vict0r3znov likes this.
  34. NandaKaushal

NandaKaushal

You Can Download the Build project here:-

35. Vict0r3znov

Vict0r3znov

Hi, we got a cyberpunk project we are working to work on, and after few months the customer litrerally said : WE NEED MORE SOMETHING BIGGER, and he dropped the trailer of megacity, Well long story short, is it even possible even in theory to extract all the models/textures whatever artistic assets there and send them all to the LTS 2021.3, is it worth the effort ?

36. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I think the megacity demo is a bad place to begin peeling all this apart. You should wait for 1.0 and the new workflows / systems that will enable megacity to run a lot smoother than it is today.

Nope, don't think it's worth the effort. FWIW, I have my own megacity/open world thing going in DOTS. You don't really need to do much. DOTS is fast as hell and streams for you, handles LODs etc. It may be a lil' buggy but you don't need to start with megacity. Start with subscenes and preferably wait til at least 0.51 IMHO.

37. DreamingImLatios

DreamingImLatios

Wait?

The starting pistol already popped a few hours ago. Get running already! :p

hippocoder, bb8_1 and mikaelK like this.
  38. Vict0r3znov

Vict0r3znov

For anyone in the future who might think of opening megacity project in 2022 or anytime,

Open the project on the exact version : 2019.1.0b7

you will get "Hopefully" these errors, they all crying for burst com.unity.burst-1.0.0-preview.6 which is renamed or removed or whatever happened to it.
    if you have GIT bash in your laptop just open it and clone this repo

git clone --depth 1 --branch 1.0.0-preview.6 https://github.com/needle-mirror/com.unity.burst.git

once done cloning open the project again with these errors there, go package manager press + button and add a package from disk, navigate to the folder where you cloned the package and select package.json it will install the missing package that the package manager cannot resolve and the project will work just fine.

Extracting assets:
    I managed to extract multiple packages from the project, one for the vehicles there, one for the neon signs, and also the walls details such as air conditioners, and I'm working with them now into unity 2022 after importing them and they are just fine, took me few minutes to fix prefabs as they are crying for the scripts attached to them and I'm using them now in my levels just fine.

After that I extracted some prefabs with some gigantic wall pieces they might come in handy someday who knows.

still its a great experience to try the demo again after 4 years from its release, and its still heavy even for my RTX - 2080 but its amazing too haha !

Deleted User and bb8_1 like this.
  39. topofsteel

topofsteel

I'm trying to get this demo to run. The I downloaded it in 2019, the project is in version 2017.2.17f. I couldn't get an updated version from the link below. Example error. How can I get this working? Thanks.

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.audio.megacityprototype@0.0.1-preview.3\Runtime\Components\ECSoundPlayerComponent.cs(4,13): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Experimental' does not exist in the namespace 'Unity' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

https://unity.com/megacity

Attached Files:

40. makaka-org

makaka-org

Hi, When will it be available for ECS 1.0 and Unity 2022.2?

41. Antypodish

Antypodish

Onece it will be released.
    No one knows exact date.

42. BelkinAlex

BelkinAlex

43. makaka-org

makaka-org

bb8_1 likes this.
  44. Antypodish

Antypodish

bb8_1 likes this.
  45. Onigiri

Onigiri

upload_2022-12-3_12-9-34.png
    wut. Crashes every time

46. PutridEx

PutridEx

Working well, downloaded from github. Not a fan of the volumetric clouds, they look a bit... ugly :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    ThatDan123, Kmsxkuse, bb8_1 and 2 others like this.
  47. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

What is that buzzing noise? Did they add tractors to the project?

48. PutridEx

PutridEx

Possibly :D not really sure what it's supposed to be
    This likely isn't the final version though, maybe we'll see some changes soon

49. Deleted User

Deleted User

Is there collision now with buildings? The 2018 version didn't had it? BtW @PutridEx what's your PC specs?

50. Enzi

Enzi

2020.2.0f1 and mega city crashes constantly.

JesOb likes this.