Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

MegaCity Feedback & Discussion

Discussion in 'Data Oriented Technology Stack' started by smcclelland, Mar 19, 2019.

1. georgeq

georgeq

Extremely disappointed. The performance I'm getting is about 1 frame every 2 or 3 seconds!

I think, if Unity is about democratizing game development, there should be at least 2 version of this project; "the top notch" to show off what Unity can do when pushed to the limits, and the "poor man's" version to show the same concepts and techniques but capable to run on a low end PC.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    colin_young and e199 like this.
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Please state hardware (laptop might be using integrated gpu - check preferences) and so on. Make sure you do a full build or at least run with safety checks off.

Alverik likes this.
  3. georgeq

georgeq

I'm in a laptop with an integrated AMD Radeon R6 GPU, a AMD A10-8700P R6 CPU with 12GB of RAM... and safety checks are off by default on this project. About building the project, I'm not sure, if I'm getting between 0.33 and 0.5 FPS on the editor, I really don't expect to reach even the 15 FPS on the build... I believe the build process will take several hours, so I may leave it running before I go to sleep.

4. tertle

tertle

You might be surprised. I get like ~5 fps in editor and ~100 fps if I build.

One of the biggest issues I think Unity has at the moment is poor editor performance and I hope it's something they work on. There is just too much overhead.

5. r618

r618

^ that is correct
    FWIW I built it - for its requirements - in rather constrained environment - it needs tons of free storage space to even open in the editor and I was going out of even swap space. But it built and the build performance is pretty much normal on all quality settings
    - some radeon rx 480 but with only 8 gb of ram I think
    ( note you absolutely have to run on Insane setting to avoid objects popping on lower settings - the whole chunks of props and vehicles including their shadows appear out of nowhere which is very noticeable )

I was a bit surprised it is *heavily* CPU bound though with GPU idling near zero all the time
    - but it probably makes sense since it is more stress test for ECS/Burst than anything

6. georgeq

georgeq

I built the project with the recommended settings, however I do not see any improvement, as a matter of fact I'm getting even worst performance on the build than in the editor. It took more than 3 minutes for the menu to show up, with no other programs running, 30 MINUTES! passed since I clicked on "On-Rails Flyover" until I finally decided to kill the process because the program seem to be frozen, the Task Manager reported the program was using between 30 and 50% of the CPU and between 96 and 100% of the GPU, so obviously it was doing something, but waiting half an hour for a program to start is just ridiculous.

I wanted to give it a last try, this time with low quality and 640 x 480 resolution, and a the moment of writing this 20 minutes have passed and the game just doesn't start.

e199 likes this.
  7. L2GX

L2GX

Are you using 2019.1f ?
    Do you get errors when running in editor mode? Are all packages installed? Do you build for burst? This needs troubleshooting, not troublemaking... ;)

8. georgeq

georgeq

1) Yes, I'm using 2019.1.0f1.... obviously.
    2) There are no errors shown in the console while the project is running.
    3) Also, obviously all packages are installed, because otherwise I wound't be able to build the player.
    4) First; Burst is one of the recommended settings, and second it is enabled by default and it would be dumb to disable it.

I'm not sure about the meaning and intention of your last remarks, I'm just sharing my experience with this project on my hardware, and what I'm experiencing is a extremely bad performance, you have a different hardware and obviously because of that your experience is different, but if your hardware was equal to mine, you would be having the same experience and would understand.

9. L2GX

L2GX

Actually, I’ve been uninstalling and reinstalling Unity versions, the project, the packages, and Visual Studio back and forth to get a working version.
    You could try to empty the packages folder except for the manifest and have Unity reimport the packages?
    I’m now using only the mobile version, on an Intel Skull Canyon with IGP, but the full version did run much faster than 2 frames per second.
    So maybe it’s your hardware, but there are other things to try.
    You could grab a screenshot of the Profiler to share here.

10. mike_acton

mike_acton

Unity Technologies

Please share what specific laptop it is. Also which OS.

Antypodish likes this.
  11. georgeq

georgeq

It's a DELL Inspiron.... if my memory doesn't fail is a 5000 series but can't remember the exact model, and there is nothing on the computer showing such data, there is a tiny sticker at the bottom, but it only contains service tags, not even the serial number is mentioned, so sorry if I can't give you that info. But if it helps, I bought it in the mid of 2016 so most probably it was manufactured some time between 2015 and 2016. The exact processor is: AMD A10-8700P R6, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G 1.8 GHz, installed memory 12GB (11.4 GB usable), OS: Windows Home 64 bits. The GPU is a AMD Radeon R6.

12. georgeq

georgeq

I started with a clean project, with only the assets, packages and setting contained on the zip file... I don't like it, but I am sure it is my hardware.

13. mike_acton

mike_acton

Unity Technologies

OK. Before I dig, check your GPU. Project is probably on "Insane" or "High" graphics settings by default. Change that to "Low"

14. radionix3d

radionix3d

I'm trying to find occlusion probes which are being used for occluding ground from the sky as it was mentioned here -
    but I can't find any. Is it included in the project?

15. georgeq

georgeq

There are only a few configurable settings on my GPU and all of them are set to the absolute minimum. Inside the project, quality was set to Medium by default. I changed the default to Low, additionally I changed the Texture Quality to Eighth Res and the Ansiotropic Textures to: Disabled.

I ran the project with these setting the CPU and GPU usage are both around 50%... I clicked on "On-Rails Flyover" and waited for minutes and the game didn't start. I clicked over and over again, lots and lots of times on each one of what seem to be the options of the supposed menu and nothing ever happened!... so I switched to the scene view to see if something was happening and then saw there were vehicles flying around, so obviously the game was running, I thought the thing that's shown on the splash screen was a menu! but apparently it is not!... So I hit Enter and the game started playing.

As laughable a it is, all the problem is reduced to the fact that someone forgot to make sure the menu worked with a mouse.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  16. VaygrEmpire

VaygrEmpire

can't download megacity at all. keep getting "failed - network error" every few minutes. can't go over 2gb progress. is there way around to download this? maybe there's partitioned files by 1 gb each? i don't live in a city where google fiber is a thing :(

17. happyrobotstudio

happyrobotstudio

VaygrEmpire likes this.
  18. strongbox3d

strongbox3d

Hello guys,

I had an environment in my game and I converted to a subcene with the load on start checked and everything worked well except that the lightmaps disappeared. Is there a way to keep lightmaps?

Regards,
    Carlos

19. interactivefxsystems

interactivefxsystems

This is a nice Game Demo but who uses Tif files for texture maps anymore? PNGs are a lot lighter and still possess great rendering with alpha channels, Tiff files are used for large resolution Raw camera data not Game texture maps where the file size has to be crunched by at least the GPU I would recommend compressing to the DXT framework I have noticed great achievement from compressing TGA to DXT and please stop using Tif files for texture maps. or at least stick with PSD at least they have alpha layer editing on the fly. but for real though PNG is fast as hell.
    On Another recommendation the truncation of game objects doesn't help me much. and I wanna use Unity without thirdparty coding IDE, I wish I could code right in the inspector window and the inspector window would act like the IDE to make sure the code worked and I could only add options in the code that were available during the data asset management lounging.

20. interactivefxsystems

interactivefxsystems

I also noticed that opening a project location is a lot faster than opening the actual .unity file of the project but the actual build is broken because it's compiled with the camera rotating around the hover car I compiled the original you download from the website and the location happyrobot found and both compiles cameras are rotating around the scene and it's making me ill. But I must say the project is legit a wondrous piece of engineering. The camera is stuck on the R1 button on my PS4 controller. when I use the L2 button the camera goes the opposite direction. but the on rails fly through works great :/

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  21. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Erm, that's not how Unity asset management works. You always import whatever texture format you want and it is compressed to the appropriate target platform format on import. If you are on Windows, those TIFFs *are* used as DXT. On iOS they would be PVRTC, on OpenGL in general they could be ETC2 or ASTC, etc. Whether you import TIFFs or PNGs or PSDs is just up to whatever the art team prefers to store their work as, it makes no runtime difference to the game.

22. L2GX

L2GX

There seems to be an issue with the lightweight render pipeline on iOS..

Editor view on top. iOS screen below. Not sure what is going on, really.
    I plan to try a few cubes with different material settings to see if it’s specularity, the reflection probe, the metallic texture, or all of the above.

But any clues would be useful!

566F96E5-61A6-440E-8BBF-D4DEF8AD66E0.png 082D5533-6BAC-40C6-B686-3181822E0BF4.jpeg

23. L2GX

L2GX

Okay, I finally found the issue; it occurs when after adding and baking a reflection probe (builds okay) I set the reflection probe as the Environmental reflections Cubemap (has the lighting issue).
    It only took a dozen or so builds at 40 minutes per build, too :D

Additional info: it doesn't get fixed by going back to the original Cubemap.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  24. L2GX

L2GX

I also traced this issue (the pied-de-poule covering the entire landscape) back to the 'sun cookie' setting! pied-de-poule_sun-cookie_in_fog_settings.png

25. xrooshka

xrooshka

+1 to question about lightmaps. I had dreams about how I'm just placing the demo code into my huge soviet city architectural visualisation project and all will be fine. And all was fine except realtime lightmaps.

[UPD]
    In that video we can hear about using the BotD Occlusion Probes for the sky occlusion. I can't fond the occlusion probes in the given project. So maybe someone can tell is it possible to make the occlusion probes work in OutOfTheBox HDRP and given MegaCity Demo project for example? Or even your own project?

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    happyrobotstudio likes this.
  26. happyrobotstudio

happyrobotstudio

Hi all,

Yes i'm interested too in the BotD Occlusion Probes

I shall look into it a bit further and see what I can find xrooshka, or, if anyone who knows anything can chime in =P Im just converting to unity

27. xrooshka

xrooshka

Hi all! I’m trying to figure out can this streaming code help me with my small project or not, so I made some test project.

I created new HDRP project with sample scene and models. Then I copied the script folder and packges settings file from megacity - all imports fine. Then I tried to reproduce the same structure of nested prefabs and subscene with given sample objects:

- sub scene
    - one main prefab
    - second layer of prefabs that will be in LOD1 after combining. Have to be with LOD Group. I made the lod geometry with quads. Then I just doblicated the same prefab 8x8x4 times.
    - third layer of prefabs with props that'll not included in LOD1. Have to be with LOD Groups too. LODs had needed to be tuned.

Then I pressed HLOD/Setup HLOD and this makes High parent object and Low parent object with combined LOD models.

LODs are changing fine depending on distance. I saved all and calculated cache. Than after pressing Close button no lod switching is visible except one first prefab.

I'm sorry, can't get screens - I'm just not at home.

Then I copied the environment models, prefabs, scenes, shaders and textures to test the megacity house in my test project. Then I placed one scene, opened its min prefab, deleted HLOD and LOD Group, Low objects, High parent object abd pressed Setup HLOD to bring it all back. After closing all is working fine. But not with Example objects.

Who have tests like this? Maybe someone knows what am I doing wrong? Step by step guide will be appreciating :)

[UPD]
    My test object looks like this.
    upload_2019-5-20_0-24-51.png

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  28. Antypodish

Antypodish

I think having very simplified minimalistic project of mega city, or it's merely fraction, could help understand structuring such type of project. Also, since not everyone can download extra GBs on their drives for reason A or B, small sample project can be more accessible to masses, to learn from.

colin_young and happyrobotstudio like this.
  29. L2GX

L2GX

EDIT: I now noticed that in the Hub my LWRP test was set to 2019.2. The LWRP does have an iOS target under 2019.1.3
    So I will still be testing my meshes and textures in LWRP on iOS. Still, my frustration as recorded below remains.

I'm giving up on the Megacity demo... The main reason for me is that I've been struggling to keep the 'fix' for the above issue working. Now, a new issue popped up: 'ground' entities (and game objects) show up too dark. They are set up exactly like the 'building' entities that are shown 'ok-ish'. Ok-ish? Well, the buildings still show annoying circular steps in color depending on distance.
    I wanted to try the meshes in the Lightweight render pipeline in a non-DOTS project, and found that there's no iOS target available through the HUB.

To me, Android is simply not worth investing in; even at the minuscule level of revenue I have I make twenty times more money on iOS than Android.
    If the LWRP doesn't work on iOS, I wasted 3 weeks and countless hours of sleep I needed, trying to troubleshoot something that's not supported?

(additional context: I actually have a demo out on Android that does something like LOD thing I wanted to reverse engineer from the Megacity Demo without DOTS. Look up Turbinehead.
    The issue with Turbinehead is the GPU rendering limiting the number of meshes.
    Last year I created a landscape demo that also uses LOD, and again ran up against GPU limits.

I am in the middle of a cooperation that aims to create a Rogue Squadron like flightsim, again hoping to use the DOTS LOD.
    So that's why I put so much time into the Megacity demo; I really need that render power...)

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  30. Antypodish

Antypodish

Your issue here is, you really try put something into production, using tools, which are not production ready.

Btw, android market is much bigger than iOS, but that is completely different topic.

If anything, it is all your own responsibility, how you spend your time, provided tools and resources.

To be honest, In my opinion while feedback is most expected and useful, placing such complains I think are very inappropriate at given time, specially we know, things are experimental, in preview and subject to massive changes, at any given time.

31. L2GX

L2GX

I did ask for help with LWRP on iOS (previous post) and got no reply for two weeks during which I did dozens of test builds, each taking between twenty and forty minutes between hitting the 'build' button in Unity and seeing the lack of result on iOS.

I might not have your Unity experience, but my day job is as a software trainer and documentation writer. I bet Unity is willing to hear bad user stories even at this early stage. I hope they *can* take them into account, which is another matter entirely.

32. xrooshka

xrooshka

I've tested LODs with some dummy meshes and test is passed well. I will continue searching for reason why my example rooms are not working.
    upload_2019-5-21_13-46-13.png

I made it work just deleting one of the prefabs. Problem with this prefab is just with the same objects sharing different lod groups. I think it's an important condition.
    upload_2019-5-21_14-4-17.png

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  33. JohnSmith1915

JohnSmith1915

Can i use assets from this project in a commercial game?

34. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Yes, the license allows you you to use the assets in a Unity based commercial game.

L2GX and JohnSmith1915 like this.
  35. JohnSmith1915

JohnSmith1915

Thanks.

36. MavenDE

MavenDE

I tried to download MegaCity a few days ago and the connection is being reset after few hundred megabytes.
    I tried today - the same. Is this company serious? Presents something to the public and people with 250 Mbit/s connection even cannot download it due to errors. SOMEBODY FIX THE DOWNLOAD SERVERS!!!

37. JohnSmith1915

JohnSmith1915

The 7GB download support resume, i download with Firefox, the download was resume 3 times but the file download fine.

38. TaylorCaudle

TaylorCaudle

39. xrooshka

xrooshka

Hello once again! I'm back with new strange problems with HLOD script. I've created this simple prefab with dummy meshes in pure MegaCity project.
    upload_2019-5-22_23-15-21.png
    When I hit "Close" I'm getting this all the time
    upload_2019-5-22_23-16-36.png
    How can I fix that? All of the old subscenes are closing normaly )

[UPD]
    I'm working with Unity 2019.1.0f2. Maybe this is the reason?

[UPD]
    Same thing jn 2019.1.0b7. What can I do wrong?
    upload_2019-5-23_1-4-50.png
    What is shown with Burst Compile is switched off:
    upload_2019-5-23_1-7-8.png

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  40. moosichu

moosichu

41. qaisbayabani

qaisbayabani

default backend - 404

42. qaisbayabani

qaisbayabani

43. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

The mega city demo is an appetizer. It should show what's possible with Unity depending on valued programmers and technical artists and the unity top guys who support this short teaser project. Mega city is like a advertising photography of a top notch burger from eg. Mc'Ds. Buy and burger and make an image that looks exactly the same tasty and delicious like the advertising image. I'm sure you can not. :) Me as well.

Perhaps valued 5 ppl here in the forum (if they are working together for some month) will understand how it works exactly and further, are able to change for their own needs.

A small hint, you should use exactly the same unity version and exactly the same package manager versions and packages and never change anything for the future. If the unity team change some bits in the srp render loop for culling or lod or managing materials (in case of materials i'm sure they will do) , or audio in later versions, you can be assured you can't get it to work anymore. This is the life cycle of fragile high tech appetizers.

44. qaisbayabani

qaisbayabani

made it work with 2019.1.0f2 but only can use its assets all scripts have to be rewritten and giving better loading performance with new scripts. buildings graphics glitched when using unity terrain so have to use custom made terrain obj. grounds are too heavy prefabs. custom made sound of mega city also have to be deleted.

45. pccross

pccross

Any luck getting the demo to run in VR? I tried it this week, and the headset frame rate just can't keep up with the application (at least in editor mode). A sure fire way to create nausea :)

46. tommox86

tommox86

47. rubenpvargas

rubenpvargas

Where can i download the megacity project? Link is broken

48. Pandur1982

Pandur1982

49. rizu

rizu

from: https://forum.unity.com/threads/dots-audio-discussion.651982:

50. Hazneliel

Hazneliel