Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official MegaCity Feedback & Discussion

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by smcclelland, Mar 19, 2019.

1. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

I can share builded project tomorrow if anyone want (and if Unity don't mind it)

Grimreaper358, RaL and Peter77 like this.
  2. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

I get errors when building, so this will be much appreciated.

3. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I didn't have any issues on building that, you guys got IL2CPP installed and Visual Studio with c++ toolchain?

Technically you could do mono build too but you'll still need the c++ toolchain afaik to be able to compile for Burst.

4. dreamerflyer

dreamerflyer

megacity-mac.jpg
    this is ppt ......I can see this demo can run on mobile at gdc2019, why not give the mobile version demo??And ,this demo has no navmesh ,if using navmesh to subscene,combine the navmesh is hard i think

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  5. chrisk

chrisk

Hi, we are building a large open world with streaming in mind.
    What you mentioned about low res section loaded first sounds interesting.
    It sounds like we can extend it so that when loading a building, external building first and load internal building objects when a player enters the building.
    And we prefer to build the building with nested prefab for easier management.
    I believe it's quite a common setup for any open world games and I'm really curious how we can set it up.
    I would really appreciate if you can help.

ps. Are there any detailed guide(video/doc) how Megacity is set up so that we can repeat ourselves? There many videos about Megacity but I haven't found one that I can follow along.

Thanks.

6. antey3064

antey3064

Is it possible to apply or adapt Megacity technology to a construction system similar to the one in Rust?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  7. L2GX

L2GX

I'd also like to see the mobile-specific version or a confirmation that it's proprietary and won't be released?

8. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

It will. Later.

9. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

TokyoWarfareProject and Peter77 like this.
  10. nxrighthere

nxrighthere

The demo is unusable even on high-end hardware, unfortunately. CPU/GPU utilization is poor (on different machines) which results in low framerate, no matter where we run it, standalone or editor.

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      78.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      54.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    Deleted User and Knightmore like this.
  11. chrisk

chrisk

I thougth MegaCity will bottleneck in GPU but I find that it has huge bottleneck on CPU and it's not a good example of ECS.
    Not sure what's going on but is there any explanation?

12. L2GX

L2GX

I've replaced a mesh (all three LOD) in the bus prefab. It shows up in the Vehicle scene, but not in the Megacity scene. Any tips?

13. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

You rebuild subscene entity cache?

L2GX likes this.
  14. harini

harini

Unity Technologies

Very cool! Do let us know your feedback/issues with DSPGraph! Will work with the community manager to get a dedicated audio subforum so that we can talk more about DSPGraph!

pal_trefall, Alverik, FROS7 and 2 others like this.
  15. Hyp-X

Hyp-X

So far the only minor setback is ExecuteContext.PostEvent not working with Burst. I could work around that, but until I start to stress test the system I can live with not using Burst.

I'm excited for DSPGraph, because it enables us to implement unique features for our game, such as
    - A non-conventional listener channel mixing equation for a top-down camera game
    - Soundscapes (in the Unite talk terminology) for large sound sources such as rivers, oceans, patches of forests etc.

We won't use Unity ECS, because we have a data oriented solution specific for our game, but using DSPGraph will fit nicely.

harini likes this.
  16. L2GX

L2GX

I got the replacement to stick after rebuilding Assets/Scenes/MegaCity/Traffic
    Is Traffic not directly in the Megacity main scene because it's not static?

17. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

At the moment whenever a change on a SubScene happens the cache needs to be rebuilt. When changing the scene directly this is done automatically, but there is no dependency tracking for prefabs at this moment.

Next priority for us is to move the Entity binary files out of version control and into the asset pipeline with full dependency handling.

Alverik, FROS7, eizenhorn and 4 others like this.
  18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Sounds so much like a formula 1 garage with all the care required, technicians etc.

Alverik likes this.
  19. MaloneXI

MaloneXI

Hi all , I'm pretty noob about unity , but when I see the ECS ,

No doubt I will be interested. I just download the last version of unity , the personnal edition. I was wondering if I could export some buildings assets into max to modify them, and reimport them in unity. I've founded some tutorials that explains how to deal with that , by a simple right click , but I can't find it. Anybody could help ?

First , do I have the right to do such a thing ? It's just for a personal use. I'm a designer , not a developper (damn me...) I just want to discover slowly unity...

Thanx a lot anyway , I was far from imagining unity was so powerful...

20. spark-man

spark-man

Same on my pc. eizenhorn's standalone build is running worse than editor play mode for me. And in editor play mode - probes on building loading slowly one by one.

When I build standalone no sub scene is loading in game. Also tried adding all sub scenes in build scene list. What may be gone wrong?

21. nxrighthere

nxrighthere

Same here, on my machine his build running even worse than my standalone or if I running it right in the editor (framerate and hardware utilization is better).

22. Brad-Newman

Brad-Newman

RomBinDaHouse, L2GX and Adam-Bailey like this.
  23. Brad-Newman

Brad-Newman

Editing prefabs in the project is extremely slow for me. When I edit "Backdrop_Building_D" for example, simply clicking on the transforms like "Low LOD" or "High LOD" the inspector takes 15-20 secs before it updates to the newly selected transform. I'm using Unity 2019.1.b9 with Auto Save prefabs disabled. Maybe it's a beta 9 bug...

I'm don't think it's hardware related since my machine is pretty new:
    - Project on SSD
    - CPU: i7-8700K @ 3.70GHz
    - RAM: 32 GB
    - GTX 1080

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    castana1962 likes this.
  24. Brad-Newman

Brad-Newman

From what I can tell it may be related to HLOD.

To reproduce:
    - Edit "Backdrop_Building_D"
    - Disable "High LOD" transform.
    - Things slow down.

If you:
    - Edit "Backdrop_Building_D"
    - Disable "HLOD" component
    - Disable "High LOD" transform.
    - Things run fine.

25. castana1962

castana1962

Hi Brad-Neuman
    Sorry but it is possible that my comment do not answer your question but when you told us that you think that your PC spec is not the problem (PC slow) , I am asking myself what is the best Desktop PC spec to get the best performance in DOTS and the others new features in Unity 2019? For it, Is there any PC spec to get the best of it?
    Thanks

26. spark-man

spark-man

I was trying his Megacity build with "insane" graphics setting. Now I tried with "medium" graphics setting - now framerate and cpu usage much better. But still memory usage around ~2gb only (may be due to this probes on buildings loading slow?)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  27. L2GX

L2GX

In the mobile version, in the editor, what is causing the 'fog' distance effect on the city material? Can I knock it out or adjust it somewhere?

28. 5argon

5argon

Is it only me that couldn't load Megacity from the official page? Using Chrome it is always failing, and using wget it is always retrying at around the same size

Screenshot 2019-04-11 01.28.06.png

29. Muhamad_Faizol

Muhamad_Faizol

Had the same problem with wget, I ended up using aria2c to successfully download it.
    Hope that helps.

5argon likes this.
  30. 5argon

5argon

Still getting EOF from server at around the same 650MB. Something must be wrong there. (I got about 30GB space on my computer, shouldn't be storage issue)

Screenshot 2019-04-11 10.55.42.png

31. spark-man

spark-man

5argon likes this.
  32. 5argon

5argon

33. Muhamad_Faizol

Muhamad_Faizol

Probably you can issue -x<NUM> or --max-connection-per-server=<NUM> option (I think the max NUM is 16) when using aria2c to increase chances that the threads will try to reconnect and resume the download process again. Anyway you also can just reissue the aria command to resume the download unlike with wget where most of the time the downloading process will start again from 0%.

EDIT: I just saw your reply, glad that you solved it.

34. shredingskin

shredingskin

Anyone got it running on 2019.1f1 ? It seems to have incompatibility with the megacity audio package.

35. L2GX

L2GX

What exactly are the conditions of your sharing either the full and the mobile version? Are the assets free? Is the code reusable?
    Would you consider releasing it under a specific license such as CC commercial?

36. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

If anything, they'll use Unity Companion License like they've done with every recent content. That being said, I didn't spot the license on the shared megacity sample either.

37. Arowx

Arowx

Could I suggest an update to Mega City to turn it into a game...

Turn it into a warzone, ideally allowing for 3rd person RTS play and first person FPS play to really test the system at a larger scale and on the human scale.

You could start with inter vehicle combat then add people as the animation/DOTS system comes online.

And implement the not DOTS aspects are hybrid then bring them over to Pure as you develop them.

It should also work as an Amazing demo and stress test of the DOTS system and inter system* stress test.

*I think DOTS systems will not be the performance problem area in DOTS games, the interconnects between systems are more likely to become bottlenecks.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  38. Kamyker

Kamyker

I've just imported Megacity to 2019.1.0f2 and it works fine even with Visual Studio 2019! Getting solid 60fps in editor with i9 9900k and gtx 1070.

L2GX and Antypodish like this.
  39. Arowx

Arowx

Does megacity traffic use navmesh?

40. Antypodish

Antypodish

Nope. There is video, where which discusses megacity traffic implementation. It is much simpler than that.

Antypodish likes this.
  42. Arowx

Arowx

So the road network is just a node based road system, it could still allow for baked in navigation. Although it's a pity the roads are flat (2d lanes) in a 3D world space, as the roads really should be an array of lanes the vehicles can weave/climb and dive through.

With some enemy detection basic navigation and weapons this could make for the start of a road war system.

43. I think you are very lost. It's not a pity, it is what they needed for this demo. When you make a demo or a game, you can take this and adapt to 3D with lanes above and below. It's not that hard. Do you really need to have everything done for you and wrapped in gift-paper?

Antypodish likes this.
  44. Antypodish

Antypodish

Specially demo was done only within 2 weeks.

45. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Pretty sure it took them few months rather.

Alverik likes this.
  46. Antypodish

Antypodish

Providing I remember correctly, as I watched that video while ago, they mentioned about 2 people working for roughly 2 weeks on that feature. Probably along with other features.

It isn't much complex system, for demo purpose. Unless further polished afterward.

47. L2GX

L2GX

This is a shot of my OP2 running the demo with nearly all meshes and textures swapped.
    It’s early days so I only have low poly geometry in there. Once all vehicle meshes are removed the build should be way down in size; it’s now 140 mb.
    Next step is to integrate the vehicle controls from the big version!

Attached Files:

48. Arowx

Arowx

It's a good/great graphical demo and could be made into any number of games:
    • Racing Game
    • FPS*
    • RTS
    • City Simulation
    • Endless Runner
    This would mean adding more features and therefore pushing the boundaries of DOTS to be more than a display lots of things technology.

Unity should make games with their game engine, tech demos are great but games are better.

*Is the Megacity built to an FPS scale e.g. a 2 unit/meter tall character would fit in the vehicles or be able to walk in the buildings?

49. id0

id0

I have gtx 750-ti, i5 6400 cpu and 16 GB of RAM, and I ran the demo just fine with the default settings. Although it must first download all the scenes, resources, etc., otherwise, fps will be very low, and after that - about 30 fps. BUT the demo eats about 7-8 GB of RAM, which is not good.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  50. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

ArrowX please stop trolling. It's not appreciated.

We are making games on with Unity to dog food and prove what Unity can do:
    https://unity.com/fps-sample

And we also make tech demos. They are not the same and they serve different purposes. This is not the thread to discuss it.